World of Warcraft LOW FPS
  1 / 2    
hi, i've been playing wow for some time now but it seems recently (within the last month or so) my fps has gone terrible. It seems ok in some areas or when you first login, then soon later it will drop to 10fps or lower. I have tried reformatting installing all drivers again directx etc.. nothing is helping. I have the GeForce 7800 GTX. Running on the latest drivers with winxp, pentium 4 3.2ghz 1gb ram, and i know i should be getting more fps than this i have turned lots of stuff off in game too. Please if someone knows how to fix this tell me because i just can't play like this.
hi, i've been playing wow for some time now but it seems recently (within the last month or so) my fps has gone terrible. It seems ok in some areas or when you first login, then soon later it will drop to 10fps or lower. I have tried reformatting installing all drivers again directx etc.. nothing is helping. I have the GeForce 7800 GTX. Running on the latest drivers with winxp, pentium 4 3.2ghz 1gb ram, and i know i should be getting more fps than this i have turned lots of stuff off in game too. Please if someone knows how to fix this tell me because i just can't play like this.

Posted 02/11/2007 01:41 PM   
[quote name='unreal1ty' date='Feb 11 2007, 09:41 AM']hi, i've been playing wow for some time now but it seems recently (within the last month or so) my fps has gone terrible. It seems ok in some areas or when you first login, then soon later it will drop to 10fps or lower. I have tried reformatting installing all drivers again directx etc.. nothing is helping. I have the GeForce 7800 GTX. Running on the latest drivers with winxp, pentium 4 3.2ghz 1gb ram, and i know i should be getting more fps than this i have turned lots of stuff off in game too. Please if someone knows how to fix this tell me because i just can't play like this.
[right][snapback]158384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey. I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing this issue.

Over the same time period (within the last month) I've noticed the same thing. When I first start WoW, I get great frame rates (around 80 - 90 FPS). Gradually the FPS will decrease over the next 30 - 45 minutes and usually stick somewhere around 12, lower if I'm in a populated zone. I never had this problem prior to (I think) patch 2.0.3, and could constantly get frame rates between 35 and 50 with no problem.

I should also mention that I too reformatted my PC with Windows XP Pro SP2 last Thursday to no avail. While it did significantly reduce the startup and shutdown times (I had never reformatted in the 3.5 years that I have had the machine), the frame rate issue persisted.

Below are a few of my system specs taken from DxDiag. I added the stuff in *'s to give a little more detail on a few items. I know I'm running an AGP card, however I should expect at least a steady 30 FPS. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

--System Info
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs) *800MHz FSB*
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

--Video Card Info
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS *AGP 8x*
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

--Sound Card Info (In case anyone knows of a conflict)
Description: SB Audigy 2 Audio [C800]
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.1196 (English)
[quote name='unreal1ty' date='Feb 11 2007, 09:41 AM']hi, i've been playing wow for some time now but it seems recently (within the last month or so) my fps has gone terrible. It seems ok in some areas or when you first login, then soon later it will drop to 10fps or lower. I have tried reformatting installing all drivers again directx etc.. nothing is helping. I have the GeForce 7800 GTX. Running on the latest drivers with winxp, pentium 4 3.2ghz 1gb ram, and i know i should be getting more fps than this i have turned lots of stuff off in game too. Please if someone knows how to fix this tell me because i just can't play like this.

[snapback]158384[/snapback]

Hey. I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing this issue.

Over the same time period (within the last month) I've noticed the same thing. When I first start WoW, I get great frame rates (around 80 - 90 FPS). Gradually the FPS will decrease over the next 30 - 45 minutes and usually stick somewhere around 12, lower if I'm in a populated zone. I never had this problem prior to (I think) patch 2.0.3, and could constantly get frame rates between 35 and 50 with no problem.

I should also mention that I too reformatted my PC with Windows XP Pro SP2 last Thursday to no avail. While it did significantly reduce the startup and shutdown times (I had never reformatted in the 3.5 years that I have had the machine), the frame rate issue persisted.

Below are a few of my system specs taken from DxDiag. I added the stuff in *'s to give a little more detail on a few items. I know I'm running an AGP card, however I should expect at least a steady 30 FPS. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

--System Info

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs) *800MHz FSB*

Memory: 1024MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

--Video Card Info

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS *AGP 8x*

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

--Sound Card Info (In case anyone knows of a conflict)

Description: SB Audigy 2 Audio [C800]

Driver Version: 5.12.0001.1196 (English)

Posted 02/12/2007 12:26 PM   
It could have something to do with the limited amount of RAM in your computers.

If you are runnnig memory intensive add-ons those could eat the ram, forcing the computer to swap more memory making poor FPS.

If you can, it would help if you added another 1 gig of RAM. 2 gigs of RAM in a Windows XP box will give you some added FPS.

Cheers,
Profos
It could have something to do with the limited amount of RAM in your computers.

If you are runnnig memory intensive add-ons those could eat the ram, forcing the computer to swap more memory making poor FPS.

If you can, it would help if you added another 1 gig of RAM. 2 gigs of RAM in a Windows XP box will give you some added FPS.

Cheers,

Profos

Posted 02/20/2007 08:17 AM   
I'm having very similar issues with WoW. When I log in I start off getting around 20FPS then it decreases to around 5-6FPS. In addition to that at least once an evening the graphics will flicker in and out and drop me down to below 1FPS and I end up having to reboot.

I have downloaded the updated drivers and am still having the same issues.

I'm running a FX 5700 LE 256MB with 1GB or DDR RAM, AMD Athlon 2800, Win XP Pro SP2.

I am debating on reinstalling Windows but from what I've read here I'm not sure that will help. I have added extra memory to the machine to test and I'm still getting the low FPS and the eventual reboot consistently.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but in my Event log it seems that the WDM Video Capture service is failing to load on startup. I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them last night and it still won't start the service. I'm not sure if the two are related.

I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of just buying a new video card but I want to be sure it's not fixable before I do so.
I'm having very similar issues with WoW. When I log in I start off getting around 20FPS then it decreases to around 5-6FPS. In addition to that at least once an evening the graphics will flicker in and out and drop me down to below 1FPS and I end up having to reboot.

I have downloaded the updated drivers and am still having the same issues.

I'm running a FX 5700 LE 256MB with 1GB or DDR RAM, AMD Athlon 2800, Win XP Pro SP2.

I am debating on reinstalling Windows but from what I've read here I'm not sure that will help. I have added extra memory to the machine to test and I'm still getting the low FPS and the eventual reboot consistently.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but in my Event log it seems that the WDM Video Capture service is failing to load on startup. I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them last night and it still won't start the service. I'm not sure if the two are related.

I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of just buying a new video card but I want to be sure it's not fixable before I do so.

Posted 02/28/2007 02:50 PM   
Before buying a new card think about upgrading the memory of the PC, 1gb is really the bare minimum you should be running, ideally you would want 1.5gb or 2gb to be able to run the OS and game smoothly.

It was quite amazing seeing the difference it made when I upgraded the ram in my laptop, Lagforge was gone, instead I could run around Ironforge without any lag at all.
Before buying a new card think about upgrading the memory of the PC, 1gb is really the bare minimum you should be running, ideally you would want 1.5gb or 2gb to be able to run the OS and game smoothly.

It was quite amazing seeing the difference it made when I upgraded the ram in my laptop, Lagforge was gone, instead I could run around Ironforge without any lag at all.

Built

Asus Striker 2 Extreme
QX9650 @ 3.0ghz
Black Windowed Silverstone TJ09
BFG GTX 295
24" BenQ FP241W
4GB DDR3@1333mhz OCZ
Galaxy 1000w PSU
G15rev2 Keyboard
150gb Raptor Sata with Vista64 Ultimate

Work In Progress

Asus Rampage Extreme
E8500 @ 3.16ghz - Watercooled with OCZ Hydroflow
Black Windowed Silverstone TJ07 - ThermoChill PA 120.3 Radiator
BFG GTX 295 - Watercooled
24" BenQ FP241W
8GB DDR3@1600mhz Corsair
Corsair 1000w PSU
G19 Keyboard 3.02 drivers
120gb Vertex SSD with Windows 7 64bit Ultimate RC (Build 7100)

Posted 03/02/2007 02:24 PM   
I'm having the same problem, although my issues only arose after an attempt to overclock my cards using nTune. I didn't see any boost in the overclock and didn't think any more about it. I'm currently running 2 x 7600gt's in SLi which, doing normal applications, score around 260+- in nTune. after playing WoW for 10-20 min. My fps cuts in half from 40+- to 15-20. My nTune scores reflect that, declining to 150+-. Coincidentally, one of my 7600gt's with SLi disabled scores 150+- making me think that my SLi configuration is merely failing for some reason, that is before I saw this thread.
I'm having the same problem, although my issues only arose after an attempt to overclock my cards using nTune. I didn't see any boost in the overclock and didn't think any more about it. I'm currently running 2 x 7600gt's in SLi which, doing normal applications, score around 260+- in nTune. after playing WoW for 10-20 min. My fps cuts in half from 40+- to 15-20. My nTune scores reflect that, declining to 150+-. Coincidentally, one of my 7600gt's with SLi disabled scores 150+- making me think that my SLi configuration is merely failing for some reason, that is before I saw this thread.

Posted 03/04/2007 09:14 PM   
turns out the second card in my SLi setup was going bad. Died on me about 2 hours ago. RMA'd it through BFG Tech and should have a new one in a week or so. Kinda weird really, my fps went from 20'ish in a messed up SLi setup to 65'ish with only one card installed, lol. Well good luck guys.
turns out the second card in my SLi setup was going bad. Died on me about 2 hours ago. RMA'd it through BFG Tech and should have a new one in a week or so. Kinda weird really, my fps went from 20'ish in a messed up SLi setup to 65'ish with only one card installed, lol. Well good luck guys.

Posted 03/05/2007 04:40 AM   
I added another .5GB of RAM to my system and tried some other tweaks suggested on other threads. My FPS went up from 6-8FPS to 15-30FPS. But I'm still having the occasional screen freeze that plummets my FPS down to .5 - 3FPS and requires a reboot.

I'm not having any problems in other applications that is what boggles me the most. I use photoshop quite often and never have any problems out of the video it seems to be just with WoW and EQ2 when I played that for a couple of weeks. It would do the same thing in EQ2 but instead of the FPS dropping it would just crash me to desktop.

I've had the card for a few years now and haven't always had this problem which leads me to believe it's either something with the new drivers or the card is going bad :(
I added another .5GB of RAM to my system and tried some other tweaks suggested on other threads. My FPS went up from 6-8FPS to 15-30FPS. But I'm still having the occasional screen freeze that plummets my FPS down to .5 - 3FPS and requires a reboot.

I'm not having any problems in other applications that is what boggles me the most. I use photoshop quite often and never have any problems out of the video it seems to be just with WoW and EQ2 when I played that for a couple of weeks. It would do the same thing in EQ2 but instead of the FPS dropping it would just crash me to desktop.

I've had the card for a few years now and haven't always had this problem which leads me to believe it's either something with the new drivers or the card is going bad :(

Posted 03/07/2007 07:27 PM   
I too have recently started having real problems with fps to the extent that I cannot play my high end characters, and can only play in the low end low populated areas. My fps used to be around 60 all the time but since the last patch it has gone down to below 10fps, and most of the time is completely unplayable. This is particularly annoying as i am 12 bars from 80 on my main and cannot play her :(

I have a Dell XPS M1710 with CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR T7600, MEMORY DUAL-CHANNEL 2048MB (2X1024) 667M, HARD DRIVE 160GB SERIAL ATA (7200RPM) and a 512MB DDR3 NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7950 GTX GR. I am running on Vista. I have updated all drivers including the Geforce one and this has not improved anything, I have even taken quality right down to up performance on the card setup and in game setup have adjusted all video options to (supposedly) increase framerate per second, again to no avail.

I am wondering if it is a coincidence that this seems to have worsened since the last patch, and wonder if anyone else has noticed the same.

I would also be grateful for any suggestions. I am not hugely technically savvy so details of how to perform any suggestions would be much appreciated /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

I will also go and look on other forums for anyone else having problems since the last patch and will let u know if I find anything. I really hope that I (and any others with this problem) get it sorted fast, because at the moment it is almost impossible to play the game.

I look forward to getting this sorted and having a good enough fps to kick your bums in game /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />
I too have recently started having real problems with fps to the extent that I cannot play my high end characters, and can only play in the low end low populated areas. My fps used to be around 60 all the time but since the last patch it has gone down to below 10fps, and most of the time is completely unplayable. This is particularly annoying as i am 12 bars from 80 on my main and cannot play her :(

I have a Dell XPS M1710 with CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR T7600, MEMORY DUAL-CHANNEL 2048MB (2X1024) 667M, HARD DRIVE 160GB SERIAL ATA (7200RPM) and a 512MB DDR3 NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7950 GTX GR. I am running on Vista. I have updated all drivers including the Geforce one and this has not improved anything, I have even taken quality right down to up performance on the card setup and in game setup have adjusted all video options to (supposedly) increase framerate per second, again to no avail.

I am wondering if it is a coincidence that this seems to have worsened since the last patch, and wonder if anyone else has noticed the same.

I would also be grateful for any suggestions. I am not hugely technically savvy so details of how to perform any suggestions would be much appreciated /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

I will also go and look on other forums for anyone else having problems since the last patch and will let u know if I find anything. I really hope that I (and any others with this problem) get it sorted fast, because at the moment it is almost impossible to play the game.

I look forward to getting this sorted and having a good enough fps to kick your bums in game /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Posted 02/05/2009 03:01 PM   
Hi all,

I ran into a FPS issue this weekend on my pc where any outdoor environment would drop it down to a great 11 or 15 FPS until I can stutter back indoors. With a fresh WTF and Interface files, it still did the same thing. After poking with it for a bit, it seems that the game maxed out Terrain Distance for some reason without showing it on the Video Options slider. After manually playing with some numbers, my FPS went back up to 60+ FPS (with my custom UIs). Try using my config.wtf (World of Warcraft folder -> WTF folder) and replace yours with this:
for me it worked out good hope for you too

SET hwDetect "0"

SET gxColorBits "24"

SET gxDepthBits "24"

SET gxResolution "1024x768"

SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"

SET fullAlpha "1"

SET lodDist "100.000000"

SET SmallCull "0.070000"

SET DistCull "500.000000"

SET farclip "177"

SET pixelShaders "1"

SET particleDensity "1.000000"

SET unitDrawDist "300.000000"

SET movie "0"

SET movieSubtitle "1"

SET mouseSpeed "1"

SET Gamma "1.000000"

SET MusicVolume "0.5"

SET SoundVolume "0.80000001192093"

SET MasterVolume "0.90000003576279"

SET cameraPitchMoveSpeed "90"

SET cameraYawMoveSpeed "180"

SET cameraPitchSmoothSpeed "45"

SET cameraYawSmoothSpeed "180"

SET cameraDistanceLast "8.188390"

SET cameraPitchLast "26.300028"

SET cameraWaterCollision "0"

SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "2"

SET AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"

SET minimapInsideZoom "0"

SET uiScale "0.8299999833107"

SET useUiScale "1"

SET autoClearAFK "0"

SET minimapZoom "0"

SET alphaLevel "0"

SET gameTip "47"

SET guildMemberNotify "1"

SET gxRefresh "60"

SET SoundZoneMusicNoDelay "1"

SET cameraView "4"

SET specular "1"

SET UnitNamePlayer "0"

SET EnableErrorSpeech "0"

SET readScanning "-1"

SET scriptMemory "131072"

SET weatherDensity "0"

SET DesktopGamma "1"

SET ffxDeath "0"

SET lod "0"

SET realmList "us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com"

SET EnableMusic "0"

SET checkAddonVersion "0"

SET CombatDamage "0"

SET lastCharacterIndex "6"

SET gxMaximize "1"

SET gxFixLag "0"

SET baseMip "1"

SET M2Faster "0"

SET gxVSync "0"

SET ffxGlow "0"
Hi all,

I ran into a FPS issue this weekend on my pc where any outdoor environment would drop it down to a great 11 or 15 FPS until I can stutter back indoors. With a fresh WTF and Interface files, it still did the same thing. After poking with it for a bit, it seems that the game maxed out Terrain Distance for some reason without showing it on the Video Options slider. After manually playing with some numbers, my FPS went back up to 60+ FPS (with my custom UIs). Try using my config.wtf (World of Warcraft folder -> WTF folder) and replace yours with this:

for me it worked out good hope for you too

SET hwDetect "0"

SET gxColorBits "24"

SET gxDepthBits "24"

SET gxResolution "1024x768"

SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"

SET fullAlpha "1"

SET lodDist "100.000000"

SET SmallCull "0.070000"

SET DistCull "500.000000"

SET farclip "177"

SET pixelShaders "1"

SET particleDensity "1.000000"

SET unitDrawDist "300.000000"

SET movie "0"

SET movieSubtitle "1"

SET mouseSpeed "1"

SET Gamma "1.000000"

SET MusicVolume "0.5"

SET SoundVolume "0.80000001192093"

SET MasterVolume "0.90000003576279"

SET cameraPitchMoveSpeed "90"

SET cameraYawMoveSpeed "180"

SET cameraPitchSmoothSpeed "45"

SET cameraYawSmoothSpeed "180"

SET cameraDistanceLast "8.188390"

SET cameraPitchLast "26.300028"

SET cameraWaterCollision "0"

SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "2"

SET AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"

SET minimapInsideZoom "0"

SET uiScale "0.8299999833107"

SET useUiScale "1"

SET autoClearAFK "0"

SET minimapZoom "0"

SET alphaLevel "0"

SET gameTip "47"

SET guildMemberNotify "1"

SET gxRefresh "60"

SET SoundZoneMusicNoDelay "1"

SET cameraView "4"

SET specular "1"

SET UnitNamePlayer "0"

SET EnableErrorSpeech "0"

SET readScanning "-1"

SET scriptMemory "131072"

SET weatherDensity "0"

SET DesktopGamma "1"

SET ffxDeath "0"

SET lod "0"

SET realmList "us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com"

SET EnableMusic "0"

SET checkAddonVersion "0"

SET CombatDamage "0"

SET lastCharacterIndex "6"

SET gxMaximize "1"

SET gxFixLag "0"

SET baseMip "1"

SET M2Faster "0"

SET gxVSync "0"

SET ffxGlow "0"

Posted 02/08/2009 05:22 PM   
Quick note - my music may be off so using that since it's my home file. I usually pop WinAmp and play MP3s while playing. If you want to turn on Music, go to your Sound options and check the Music box.
Quick note - my music may be off so using that since it's my home file. I usually pop WinAmp and play MP3s while playing. If you want to turn on Music, go to your Sound options and check the Music box.

Posted 02/08/2009 05:23 PM   
Erhm guys.. I tell you now, it'not about your machines, maybe it's not about nVidia either, but it's about Blizzard and what they've done whit the latest patches: To fix some magior issue they got hurry releasing 3.0.xx patches whitout testing them properly and leaving us, whit these particular machines "uncovered". Now the nVidia can't do all the job, whit drivers and stuffs so this is where the issue have began. Ok?

Low fps issue and freeze or lockups issues are different faces of the same problem, depending on the video card used, on the video settings in game, or on something else, but the root of the issue it's always the same for everyone. It doesn't surprise me everyone are here, even whit some difference in the final problem o a little difference in the type of GeForce running.
Erhm guys.. I tell you now, it'not about your machines, maybe it's not about nVidia either, but it's about Blizzard and what they've done whit the latest patches: To fix some magior issue they got hurry releasing 3.0.xx patches whitout testing them properly and leaving us, whit these particular machines "uncovered". Now the nVidia can't do all the job, whit drivers and stuffs so this is where the issue have began. Ok?

Low fps issue and freeze or lockups issues are different faces of the same problem, depending on the video card used, on the video settings in game, or on something else, but the root of the issue it's always the same for everyone. It doesn't surprise me everyone are here, even whit some difference in the final problem o a little difference in the type of GeForce running.

Posted 02/08/2009 10:14 PM   
I agree, it has to be a Blizz issue, I have been trying to tweak my system for a few weeks now to no avail. My system is as follows:

64x2 5000+ processor
8 gigs of ram
8800 GTX with latest drivers and directX 10

also went as far as a freash instal useing Windows 7 beta after trying Vista and XP all other games run fine and bench testing is overkill. Never had a problem before went from like 30-40 fps in raids to down to 1 fps at times and all i hear is sound ><
I agree, it has to be a Blizz issue, I have been trying to tweak my system for a few weeks now to no avail. My system is as follows:

64x2 5000+ processor

8 gigs of ram

8800 GTX with latest drivers and directX 10

also went as far as a freash instal useing Windows 7 beta after trying Vista and XP all other games run fine and bench testing is overkill. Never had a problem before went from like 30-40 fps in raids to down to 1 fps at times and all i hear is sound ><

Posted 02/13/2009 08:41 PM   
hey as crazy as this may seem i also have the same problem, but when i enabled 3d Stereo Via options ingame in wow my fps went soaring back up to 140/avg.

I have no idea why this works but it worked for me :D

I hope it helps =]

B
hey as crazy as this may seem i also have the same problem, but when i enabled 3d Stereo Via options ingame in wow my fps went soaring back up to 140/avg.

I have no idea why this works but it worked for me :D

I hope it helps =]

B

Posted 02/09/2010 12:24 AM   
here is my possible solution as it helped for me, type "/console processAffinityMask 1" in your ingame chatbox without the quotes, this will limit the game to run on only the physical core, in my experience WoW, has a bit of difficulty with HyperThreading.

if it doesnt work type it again but change the 1 to a 3

for you core i7 users, your magic number is 84
here is my possible solution as it helped for me, type "/console processAffinityMask 1" in your ingame chatbox without the quotes, this will limit the game to run on only the physical core, in my experience WoW, has a bit of difficulty with HyperThreading.

if it doesnt work type it again but change the 1 to a 3

for you core i7 users, your magic number is 84

Posted 02/10/2010 06:31 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top