steam and 8800 GTX
  1 / 3    
hey everyone, i was hoping if anyone could help me out on this, i read many forums looking for my exact problems and tried many things to see if anyones opinion works, none have so far. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

my problem is that every game that runs on steam has video issues, once the game starts up and its on the main menue, it seems normal for a couple seconds, then all of a sudden the screen goes ether black, everything is enlarged and stretched out, or it has random colors and nothing can be made out. but every other game that i have that do not run from the steam program works perfectly. is there somthing with steam and the graphics drivers for the 8800 gtx or is this somthing i need to look at other software or hardware problems. thanks

[url="http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=messedupjn8.jpg"][img]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9159/messedupjn8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

system specs

EVGA 8800 gtx (stock speeds)
evga 680i
e6600 at 3.0ghz
silverstone strider 850 ps
silverstone tj-09 (no cooling problems with this baby) /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
soundblaster x-fi platnum
corsair 2g ddr2 800
hey everyone, i was hoping if anyone could help me out on this, i read many forums looking for my exact problems and tried many things to see if anyones opinion works, none have so far. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

my problem is that every game that runs on steam has video issues, once the game starts up and its on the main menue, it seems normal for a couple seconds, then all of a sudden the screen goes ether black, everything is enlarged and stretched out, or it has random colors and nothing can be made out. but every other game that i have that do not run from the steam program works perfectly. is there somthing with steam and the graphics drivers for the 8800 gtx or is this somthing i need to look at other software or hardware problems. thanks

system specs

EVGA 8800 gtx (stock speeds)

evga 680i

e6600 at 3.0ghz

silverstone strider 850 ps

silverstone tj-09 (no cooling problems with this baby) /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

soundblaster x-fi platnum

corsair 2g ddr2 800

Posted 02/05/2007 02:39 AM   
Hmmm, I used to get that problem the first couple times I played Half-Life 2 and CS:S on my new 8800 GTS, but it went away on it's own after a while.

Did you download the latest drivers?
Hmmm, I used to get that problem the first couple times I played Half-Life 2 and CS:S on my new 8800 GTS, but it went away on it's own after a while.

Did you download the latest drivers?

Posted 02/05/2007 09:40 PM   
i see this when i start anything from steam and i have forgotten to turn off my extra monitors. are you running more than 1 monitor? if yes, try turning it off (vi the windows display control, not the ncp) and see what happens
i see this when i start anything from steam and i have forgotten to turn off my extra monitors. are you running more than 1 monitor? if yes, try turning it off (vi the windows display control, not the ncp) and see what happens

gaming -> asus crosshair/amd x2 6000+/2gb corsair xms pro ddr2 800/2x leadtek 8800gts/thermaltake toughpower 700w

htpc -> gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4/amd x2 6000+/2gb corsair xms pro ddr2 800/msi nx8600gts diamond plus/ultra x-connect 500w

Posted 02/06/2007 02:40 AM   
yes i downloaded the latest drivers twice after i went back to the earliest drivers, and no i only have one monitor running on a 22" at 1680x1050 for the max resolution. i saw somthing while i was thumbing through the nvidia settings about a second monitor options. ill go through all that. thanks
yes i downloaded the latest drivers twice after i went back to the earliest drivers, and no i only have one monitor running on a 22" at 1680x1050 for the max resolution. i saw somthing while i was thumbing through the nvidia settings about a second monitor options. ill go through all that. thanks

Posted 02/06/2007 04:56 PM   
[quote name='Eddy Baba' date='Feb 6 2007, 08:56 AM']yes i downloaded the latest drivers twice after i went back to the earliest drivers, and no i only have one monitor running on a 22" at 1680x1050 for the max resolution. i saw somthing while i was thumbing through the nvidia settings about a second monitor options. ill go through all that. thanks
[right][snapback]156277[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

make sure you got a clean install of the current driver. That was a KNOWn problem with the drivers before jan 10th 07. When i first got my gtx's i had this exact problem. With upgraded drivers it was all fixed. Though, it said it was an sli only prob.

Monitor your temps cause this is something unique to you...
[quote name='Eddy Baba' date='Feb 6 2007, 08:56 AM']yes i downloaded the latest drivers twice after i went back to the earliest drivers, and no i only have one monitor running on a 22" at 1680x1050 for the max resolution. i saw somthing while i was thumbing through the nvidia settings about a second monitor options. ill go through all that. thanks

[snapback]156277[/snapback]

make sure you got a clean install of the current driver. That was a KNOWn problem with the drivers before jan 10th 07. When i first got my gtx's i had this exact problem. With upgraded drivers it was all fixed. Though, it said it was an sli only prob.

Posted 02/06/2007 05:29 PM   
[quote name='bl4h1' date='Feb 6 2007, 09:29 AM']make sure you got a clean install of the current driver. That was a KNOWn problem with the drivers before jan 10th 07. When i first got my gtx's i had this exact problem. With upgraded drivers it was all fixed. Though, it said it was an sli only prob.

[right][snapback]156297[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what exactly did you do to get rid of this problem? i just uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers and even the mobo drivers 3 times after i read your post. still the same errors. i first installed the 97.92, same prob. then i installed the older drivers then the 97.92 drivers and same problem. then i just left the older driver on and same problem occurs. im pretty stuck /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

my system temps are this:
CPU - 28c (81F)
GPU - 55c (131F)
system - 24c (75F) /cold.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shiver:' />
[quote name='bl4h1' date='Feb 6 2007, 09:29 AM']make sure you got a clean install of the current driver. That was a KNOWn problem with the drivers before jan 10th 07. When i first got my gtx's i had this exact problem. With upgraded drivers it was all fixed. Though, it said it was an sli only prob.

[snapback]156297[/snapback]

what exactly did you do to get rid of this problem? i just uninstalled and reinstalled the display drivers and even the mobo drivers 3 times after i read your post. still the same errors. i first installed the 97.92, same prob. then i installed the older drivers then the 97.92 drivers and same problem. then i just left the older driver on and same problem occurs. im pretty stuck /argh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':argh:' />

my system temps are this:

CPU - 28c (81F)

GPU - 55c (131F)

system - 24c (75F) /cold.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shiver:' />

Posted 02/06/2007 06:43 PM   
here is serious sam 2 on my pc. runs smoothly on the highest settings, now why does everything on steam have to be all horrible?
here is serious sam 2 on my pc. runs smoothly on the highest settings, now why does everything on steam have to be all horrible?

Posted 02/07/2007 06:01 AM   

Posted 02/07/2007 06:07 AM   
Are steam games OpenGL-based games?
Are steam games OpenGL-based games?

Posted 02/08/2007 05:13 AM   
no they arent theyre directx

Eddy, this is what i did.

first I wanted to make sure the old drivers were completely gone. Destroyed, not a trace of them.

I read this tutorial which explains how to do it

[url="http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_4.html"]http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_4.html[/url]

i also used this

[url="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html"]http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html[/url]

Try and get your hands on the most current version of directx 9 and run that. Also you might want to try reinstalling half-life too.

Thats what i did and it worked for me afterwards
no they arent theyre directx

Eddy, this is what i did.

first I wanted to make sure the old drivers were completely gone. Destroyed, not a trace of them.

I read this tutorial which explains how to do it

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_4.html

i also used this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3214.html

Try and get your hands on the most current version of directx 9 and run that. Also you might want to try reinstalling half-life too.

Thats what i did and it worked for me afterwards

Posted 02/08/2007 06:21 AM   
yeah this just is not making any sense to me at all. i ran driver cleaner 3 about twice already deleting everything nvidia based and reinstalling with new fresh drivers. still no luck. i went ahead and reinstalled the newest direct x 9 drivers out there also. this is just making me want to sell my comp on ebay and call it quits hahaha. this can be prolly one of those simplest fixes in the world and i cant figure it out. >.<, and its not just halflife, its everything that runs on steam :(
yeah this just is not making any sense to me at all. i ran driver cleaner 3 about twice already deleting everything nvidia based and reinstalling with new fresh drivers. still no luck. i went ahead and reinstalled the newest direct x 9 drivers out there also. this is just making me want to sell my comp on ebay and call it quits hahaha. this can be prolly one of those simplest fixes in the world and i cant figure it out. >.<, and its not just halflife, its everything that runs on steam :(

Posted 02/09/2007 12:22 AM   
[quote name='Eddy Baba' date='Feb 8 2007, 04:22 PM']yeah this just is not making any sense to me at all. i ran driver cleaner 3 about twice already deleting everything nvidia based and reinstalling with new fresh drivers. still no luck. i went ahead and reinstalled the newest direct x 9 drivers out there also. this is just making me want to sell my comp on ebay and call it quits hahaha. this can be prolly one of those simplest fixes in the world and i cant figure it out. >.<, and its not just halflife, its everything that runs on steam :(
[right][snapback]157490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Theres still one more thing, dunno if yuo tried it yet. Uninstall steam and reinstall.

And by uninstall i mean run uninstall, then completely selete c:\program files\steam (or where ever you have it)

Ive fixed a few things that way. For example prey kept asking me for a cd key even though i bought it over steam. I tried deleting the game via steam and reinstalling and it didnt work. Finally i got steamed (pun intended) and just deleted the whole steam directory and reinstalled from scratch. it works now. Dunno, hope tat its a corrupt steam file or something :|
[quote name='Eddy Baba' date='Feb 8 2007, 04:22 PM']yeah this just is not making any sense to me at all. i ran driver cleaner 3 about twice already deleting everything nvidia based and reinstalling with new fresh drivers. still no luck. i went ahead and reinstalled the newest direct x 9 drivers out there also. this is just making me want to sell my comp on ebay and call it quits hahaha. this can be prolly one of those simplest fixes in the world and i cant figure it out. >.<, and its not just halflife, its everything that runs on steam :(

[snapback]157490[/snapback]

Theres still one more thing, dunno if yuo tried it yet. Uninstall steam and reinstall.

And by uninstall i mean run uninstall, then completely selete c:\program files\steam (or where ever you have it)

Ive fixed a few things that way. For example prey kept asking me for a cd key even though i bought it over steam. I tried deleting the game via steam and reinstalling and it didnt work. Finally i got steamed (pun intended) and just deleted the whole steam directory and reinstalled from scratch. it works now. Dunno, hope tat its a corrupt steam file or something :|

Posted 02/09/2007 08:10 AM   
im thinking about just reinstalling windows since i havnt activated it yet cause this is a new system build, ill put everything on once everything is set, if this problem still occurs i may just rma my vid card and hope to god this wont happen anymore
im thinking about just reinstalling windows since i havnt activated it yet cause this is a new system build, ill put everything on once everything is set, if this problem still occurs i may just rma my vid card and hope to god this wont happen anymore

Posted 02/09/2007 08:30 AM   
i reinstalled windows on the the new system and reinstalled everything, same error. so now im moving on to putting the 8800gtx into my older system. hope this will help me determin weather its a) my powersupply, B) my motherboard or c) the card

>.<

specs are:
amd 3800 x2 at 2.4 ghz
1gig dual channel ocz ddr400, 512 mushkin ddr400
6800 gs (put 8800 gtx for testing)
asus a8n sli premuim
480 trueblue antec power supply
i reinstalled windows on the the new system and reinstalled everything, same error. so now im moving on to putting the 8800gtx into my older system. hope this will help me determin weather its a) my powersupply, B) my motherboard or c) the card

>.<

specs are:

amd 3800 x2 at 2.4 ghz

1gig dual channel ocz ddr400, 512 mushkin ddr400

6800 gs (put 8800 gtx for testing)

asus a8n sli premuim

480 trueblue antec power supply

Posted 02/10/2007 12:43 AM   
hey everyone, so i RMA'd my evga 8800 gtx thinking it was the error, got my new card today and pluged it in. same problems......... im getting a error with insufficient power with the card. my power supply output is +3.3V@25A,+5V@30A,+12V1@35A,+12V2@35A,
-12V@0 .5A,+5VSB@3.0A, and the brand name of the power supply is a silverstone strider modular 850 watt , does anyone think that by having insufficient power and making it at lower clock speeds is causing these artifact glitches in steam games? or is it my software. i bought a powersupply tester to see if infact the powersupply wasnt giving out the power and it is fine.

since i had the video card shiped out i pluged in my 6800 gs, everything worked fine.
hey everyone, so i RMA'd my evga 8800 gtx thinking it was the error, got my new card today and pluged it in. same problems......... im getting a error with insufficient power with the card. my power supply output is +3.3V@25A,+5V@30A,+12V1@35A,+12V2@35A,

-12V@0 .5A,+5VSB@3.0A, and the brand name of the power supply is a silverstone strider modular 850 watt , does anyone think that by having insufficient power and making it at lower clock speeds is causing these artifact glitches in steam games? or is it my software. i bought a powersupply tester to see if infact the powersupply wasnt giving out the power and it is fine.

since i had the video card shiped out i pluged in my 6800 gs, everything worked fine.

Posted 02/28/2007 02:27 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top