Vista + Company of Heroes Does not work Use this as a Milestone Devs
Honestly if I didn't have to have Vista I wouldn't. Since I am a Service Provider I must be able to use and configure Vista in ways I anticipate customers will want. But ....

If Company of Heroes blue screens like it just did for me in Vista Ultimate we are all in big trouble.

To think all these very cool games are just around the corner and I have gotten Doom 3 and Quake 4 to actually run but look crappy, low FPS..

What are we all supposed to think at this point?

There is no way the new games are going to run.

I honestly cant believe it is this bad.

sheesh It didnt even create a program folder.

So the game doesnt install correctly.

Why?

This one game should be put as a game priority in Vista. Absolutely.
Its rated as the top RTS possibly ever and for it to fail this bad?

Come on. I am actually discouraging my customers from upgrading to Vista.
or buying new computers preloaded with it.

This is truly a computer nightmare. I cannot believe they let this out the door with
out making sure

Company of Heroes loads and runs.

Really pissed off now. /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' />

Who is at fault. Should nVidia made sure the drivers were done at launch?

Why on earth didn't Microsoft and nVidia work together to make sure the
end user didn't get screwed.

It would have been way way way better to put off the launch of Vista until both parties had their act together.

I am an older guy. I have been using PCs since the first versions of Dos. Playing Doom2 over a modem was great.

I honestly don't know who to blame for this. Furthermore I cant take it anymore so
I am ghosting back to XP.

Maybe Vista is best suited for watching Video and using Office.

There are too many games out there now that are THE most popular and they either dont run or they run like crap and there is always a problem installing.

The computer service business is about to go into a tail spin I know that.

Well, as for the games Crysis and Supreme Commander, I cant believe they could possibly run with the nvidia drivers and support and the unknown issues with Vista.

Incompatibility Hell
Honestly if I didn't have to have Vista I wouldn't. Since I am a Service Provider I must be able to use and configure Vista in ways I anticipate customers will want. But ....

If Company of Heroes blue screens like it just did for me in Vista Ultimate we are all in big trouble.

To think all these very cool games are just around the corner and I have gotten Doom 3 and Quake 4 to actually run but look crappy, low FPS..

What are we all supposed to think at this point?

There is no way the new games are going to run.

I honestly cant believe it is this bad.

sheesh It didnt even create a program folder.

So the game doesnt install correctly.

Why?

This one game should be put as a game priority in Vista. Absolutely.

Its rated as the top RTS possibly ever and for it to fail this bad?

Come on. I am actually discouraging my customers from upgrading to Vista.

or buying new computers preloaded with it.

This is truly a computer nightmare. I cannot believe they let this out the door with

out making sure

Company of Heroes loads and runs.

Really pissed off now. /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' />

Who is at fault. Should nVidia made sure the drivers were done at launch?

Why on earth didn't Microsoft and nVidia work together to make sure the

end user didn't get screwed.

It would have been way way way better to put off the launch of Vista until both parties had their act together.

I am an older guy. I have been using PCs since the first versions of Dos. Playing Doom2 over a modem was great.

I honestly don't know who to blame for this. Furthermore I cant take it anymore so

I am ghosting back to XP.

Maybe Vista is best suited for watching Video and using Office.

There are too many games out there now that are THE most popular and they either dont run or they run like crap and there is always a problem installing.

The computer service business is about to go into a tail spin I know that.

Well, as for the games Crysis and Supreme Commander, I cant believe they could possibly run with the nvidia drivers and support and the unknown issues with Vista.

Incompatibility Hell

2 x EVGA 8800 GTXs SLI, Intel Duo Core E6700 @ 3.65ghz
BFG 680i P25 MOBO, Zalman 9700, Lian Li PC-75B case with modded window for intake fan across 8800s, XFI Extreme gamer Fatali1ty, 4 gig Corsair 8500s with Corsair fan, BFG 1000 Watt PSU, 3 x WD Raptor X 150 gig Hard Drives all in a 420 Gig Raid 0 array. Lots of room and fans in case.

Posted 02/03/2007 12:52 AM   
Dude you are so damn wrong is not funny.. CoH works a treat on VISTA your sir are NUB!

FYI: install DX9 and it will work.

CoH working on Vista Ultimate on 8800GTX
Dude you are so damn wrong is not funny.. CoH works a treat on VISTA your sir are NUB!

Attachments

PWND.jpg

Posted 02/03/2007 07:14 AM   
[quote name='ArtanisNZ' date='Feb 3 2007, 02:14 AM']Dude you are so damn wrong is not funny.. CoH works a treat on VISTA your sir are NUB!

[right][snapback]154714[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I suppose you are implying that I am a Noob? if so you are a fool. I work on peoples
machines EVERY day.

First order of business is to realize that DirectX 9 version L I think its called is in Vista. Therefore to take the risk of letting an older game overwrite the NEW Direct X 9 is not desireable.

If you read carefully I got Doom 3 and Quake 4. Games that are actually not compatible with Vista to run. They look crappy but they run.

You are right in that if any game asks to load Direct X 9c I say no to it unless it forces me to and some game do force you to.

There is no reason what so ever for the installation on the FIRST TRY to fail and not put the icon on the desktop and not create a program group that is visible. That is what happened a couple of times. After 2 more attempts it loaded I believe completely and I could run it.

After about 5 minutes of play it started stuttering and slowed to a snails crawl and locked up.

As you can see in my signature I am far from a kid noob. I am old enough to be your daddy.

Every Computer savy person on the net know right now that literally every game is a problem. The only one that loaded with out a problem for me was Rainbow Six Vegas.

I just ghosted my machine back to XP and loaded the 97.92 drivers. On my rig? I run Vegas with very good frames at 1600x1200. No lockups. No stuttering.

Company of Heroes is the same except for the flickering bug that almost all SLI 8800 rigs deal with.

I dont know why I am really even replying to this other than a kid is calling me a NUB.

Jesus Christ how stupid.

Incidentely I called Microsoft tonight and found out some implied info that was not good from the inside.

The entire gaming situation looks very grim. People are going to start doing what I just did and thats uninstall Vista and go back to XP and pray that in a few months they get it working.

My computer is very expensive and now that I know I can play Crysis in XP. Ill worry about serviceing peoples machines as it happens.

I have already learned enough to make the OS comfortable for users who are just annoyed as hell by it.

Lastly you are obviously not a valid scourse of info. Why? Becuase Relic admits on their own forums that problems in fact do exist with CoH and Vista.

You need to read like I have to.
[quote name='ArtanisNZ' date='Feb 3 2007, 02:14 AM']Dude you are so damn wrong is not funny.. CoH works a treat on VISTA your sir are NUB!

[snapback]154714[/snapback]

I suppose you are implying that I am a Noob? if so you are a fool. I work on peoples

machines EVERY day.

First order of business is to realize that DirectX 9 version L I think its called is in Vista. Therefore to take the risk of letting an older game overwrite the NEW Direct X 9 is not desireable.

If you read carefully I got Doom 3 and Quake 4. Games that are actually not compatible with Vista to run. They look crappy but they run.

You are right in that if any game asks to load Direct X 9c I say no to it unless it forces me to and some game do force you to.

There is no reason what so ever for the installation on the FIRST TRY to fail and not put the icon on the desktop and not create a program group that is visible. That is what happened a couple of times. After 2 more attempts it loaded I believe completely and I could run it.

After about 5 minutes of play it started stuttering and slowed to a snails crawl and locked up.

As you can see in my signature I am far from a kid noob. I am old enough to be your daddy.

Every Computer savy person on the net know right now that literally every game is a problem. The only one that loaded with out a problem for me was Rainbow Six Vegas.

I just ghosted my machine back to XP and loaded the 97.92 drivers. On my rig? I run Vegas with very good frames at 1600x1200. No lockups. No stuttering.

Company of Heroes is the same except for the flickering bug that almost all SLI 8800 rigs deal with.

I dont know why I am really even replying to this other than a kid is calling me a NUB.

Jesus Christ how stupid.

Incidentely I called Microsoft tonight and found out some implied info that was not good from the inside.

The entire gaming situation looks very grim. People are going to start doing what I just did and thats uninstall Vista and go back to XP and pray that in a few months they get it working.

My computer is very expensive and now that I know I can play Crysis in XP. Ill worry about serviceing peoples machines as it happens.

I have already learned enough to make the OS comfortable for users who are just annoyed as hell by it.

Lastly you are obviously not a valid scourse of info. Why? Becuase Relic admits on their own forums that problems in fact do exist with CoH and Vista.

2 x EVGA 8800 GTXs SLI, Intel Duo Core E6700 @ 3.65ghz
BFG 680i P25 MOBO, Zalman 9700, Lian Li PC-75B case with modded window for intake fan across 8800s, XFI Extreme gamer Fatali1ty, 4 gig Corsair 8500s with Corsair fan, BFG 1000 Watt PSU, 3 x WD Raptor X 150 gig Hard Drives all in a 420 Gig Raid 0 array. Lots of room and fans in case.

Posted 02/03/2007 09:29 AM   
[quote name='nreversebird' date='Feb 3 2007, 04:29 AM']I suppose you are implying that I am a Noob? if so you are a fool. I work on peoples
machines EVERY day.

Jesus Christ how stupid.

Lastly you are obviously not a valid scourse of info. Why? Becuase  Relic admits on their own forums that problems in fact do exist with CoH and Vista.

[right][snapback]154753[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Direct X 9 in Vista is 100% seperate from Direct X 10 and you can't over write Direct X files with older ones, it simply won't let you.

Also you say you can play Crysis in XP, how is this possible when Crysis is slated to be a Direct X 10 game and for Windows Vista?

You mentioned you called Microsoft which is slightly incredulous that they would even respond to your tech questions about a video game from Relic Entertainment considering they usually only respond to Microsoft product questions. I suppose someone may still have attempted to help you out with your game issues though but I've never been able to contact anyone from Microsoft that was that polite before.

[url="http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/updates/"]http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/updates/[/url] <--- Try some of those out and see if they help you any.

Also if you have a G80 series video card try out the latest 100.59 drivers from nVidia.

[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html[/url]
[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.59.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.59.html[/url]
[quote name='nreversebird' date='Feb 3 2007, 04:29 AM']I suppose you are implying that I am a Noob? if so you are a fool. I work on peoples

machines EVERY day.

Jesus Christ how stupid.

Lastly you are obviously not a valid scourse of info. Why? Becuase  Relic admits on their own forums that problems in fact do exist with CoH and Vista.

[snapback]154753[/snapback]

Direct X 9 in Vista is 100% seperate from Direct X 10 and you can't over write Direct X files with older ones, it simply won't let you.

Also you say you can play Crysis in XP, how is this possible when Crysis is slated to be a Direct X 10 game and for Windows Vista?

You mentioned you called Microsoft which is slightly incredulous that they would even respond to your tech questions about a video game from Relic Entertainment considering they usually only respond to Microsoft product questions. I suppose someone may still have attempted to help you out with your game issues though but I've never been able to contact anyone from Microsoft that was that polite before.

http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/updates/ <--- Try some of those out and see if they help you any.

Also if you have a G80 series video card try out the latest 100.59 drivers from nVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.59.html

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.3ghz, Asus P5W Deluxe Mobo, 8192mb Mushkin DDR2, EVGA GF8800GTX, Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer Soundcard, Diamondmax 10 300gb HD, 2x Diamondmax Maxline III 250gb, OCZ GameXStream 700W PS

Posted 02/03/2007 09:59 AM   
I have played over 20 hours of CoH online via vista and I'm yet to have any problems being reported by you or on the relic forums (yes what a suprised i have acutally read them).. mind you the biggest difference is i have given up on crappy nvidia chip sets and the equally rubbish sata controllers.

You sir are an over worded and over opinionated FOOL.

I downloaded and install the direct x 9 web update file and installed dx9 from that and surprise surprise everything works fine.

FYI: I have building and fixing computers for the last 16 years... cut my teeth on 286's and have gone on from there.

and old saying goes "99% of the problems with a computer sit between the computer and the chair"
I have played over 20 hours of CoH online via vista and I'm yet to have any problems being reported by you or on the relic forums (yes what a suprised i have acutally read them).. mind you the biggest difference is i have given up on crappy nvidia chip sets and the equally rubbish sata controllers.

You sir are an over worded and over opinionated FOOL.

I downloaded and install the direct x 9 web update file and installed dx9 from that and surprise surprise everything works fine.

FYI: I have building and fixing computers for the last 16 years... cut my teeth on 286's and have gone on from there.

and old saying goes "99% of the problems with a computer sit between the computer and the chair"

Posted 02/04/2007 06:55 AM   
Oh man, after reading nreversebird's posts, I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to play Company of Heroes on my new laptop with Vista (32 bit).

I have the video card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

I tried a million things, and it is working now. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled the game 5 times.

In the end, just upgrading the video drivers fixed the errors I was encountering: "RelicCoh driver stopped responding" and "nvlddmkm driver stopped responding."

I should have upgraded the video drivers right away, but mistakenly figured that since it was a brand new laptop the drivers should be up to date. I was wrong.

[url="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-55824-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en"]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...&dlc=en&lang=en[/url]

I'm not sure if any of the other stuff contributed to fixing the problem, but here are some of the other steps I took:
Installed Directx 9c
After installing game, again, only used the Upgrade button in the game, without downloading any of the patches from the official company of heroes website.
Installed the new SP1 for Vista: [url="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-55824-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dlc=en&lang=en"]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...&dlc=en&lang=en[/url]
Oh man, after reading nreversebird's posts, I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to play Company of Heroes on my new laptop with Vista (32 bit).

I have the video card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

I tried a million things, and it is working now. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled the game 5 times.

In the end, just upgrading the video drivers fixed the errors I was encountering: "RelicCoh driver stopped responding" and "nvlddmkm driver stopped responding."

I should have upgraded the video drivers right away, but mistakenly figured that since it was a brand new laptop the drivers should be up to date. I was wrong.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...&dlc=en&lang=en

I'm not sure if any of the other stuff contributed to fixing the problem, but here are some of the other steps I took:

Installed Directx 9c

After installing game, again, only used the Upgrade button in the game, without downloading any of the patches from the official company of heroes website.

Installed the new SP1 for Vista: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...&dlc=en&lang=en

Posted 12/17/2007 07:25 AM   
Scroll To Top