FSX Shut Down XP restarts in middle of flight
I have an antique for a computer (2.6 Ghz CPU, 1 gig SDRAM) and just bought a GeForce 6200 256 MB "PCI" (not even PCIE) card to run FSX. After reading some of the posts and the monster computer and graphics card capabilities that some of you have, I'm feeling a bid flacid. That being said, I'm OK with the low graphic settings and get a fairly smooth ride but sometimes halfway through a flight my computer will shut down and restart. Microsoft says it may be a driver issue with this card but most of these posts say that Microsoft is lagging. Does anyone have any ideas, fixes or good driver info?

Thanks
ftmarino
I have an antique for a computer (2.6 Ghz CPU, 1 gig SDRAM) and just bought a GeForce 6200 256 MB "PCI" (not even PCIE) card to run FSX. After reading some of the posts and the monster computer and graphics card capabilities that some of you have, I'm feeling a bid flacid. That being said, I'm OK with the low graphic settings and get a fairly smooth ride but sometimes halfway through a flight my computer will shut down and restart. Microsoft says it may be a driver issue with this card but most of these posts say that Microsoft is lagging. Does anyone have any ideas, fixes or good driver info?

Thanks

ftmarino

Posted 01/16/2007 05:09 PM   
I have the same problem. My problem started after updating the BIOS on my EVGA NForce 680i motherboard. I needed to flash as FSX was dumping me out of the game on a regular basis. Not a reboot but a CTD with the normal "send to Microsoft" message. Turns out this was caused by a problem with the SATA drive's when accessing large files. The BIOS flash fixed this problem for me but created an entirely new problem.

Now, FSX crashes hard. And, when it does it reboots my PC. Worse still, as a result of FSX crashing hard I lose my activiation of FSX. Everytime I try to restart the game I have to run the Microsoft activation workaround KB928080 then repair FSX using the disks, basically a reinstall over itself, just to get the game to run. I've isolated it to an onboard sounchip problem. There is a constant cracking a popping in the sound while playing FSX. Doesn't happen in other games though.

This really sucks. I've got 8800GTX problems not rendering shadows and lights and now there is a problem with the audio chip onboard that is causing the system to hard crash. NVidia better $*(# or get off the pot because people simply are not going to endure headaches like this after spending the amount of money like I did on a rig that is capable of running FSX. BTW, I am a PC Technician by trade. Been doing this for 20 years. If I'm having this much trouble I can only imagine how frustrating it is for those who have no experience working on PC's. It's lunacy for NVidia to turn a blind eye to these issues. From what I'm reading it seems they are. Won't happen with me again. Nor, my customers.
I have the same problem. My problem started after updating the BIOS on my EVGA NForce 680i motherboard. I needed to flash as FSX was dumping me out of the game on a regular basis. Not a reboot but a CTD with the normal "send to Microsoft" message. Turns out this was caused by a problem with the SATA drive's when accessing large files. The BIOS flash fixed this problem for me but created an entirely new problem.

Now, FSX crashes hard. And, when it does it reboots my PC. Worse still, as a result of FSX crashing hard I lose my activiation of FSX. Everytime I try to restart the game I have to run the Microsoft activation workaround KB928080 then repair FSX using the disks, basically a reinstall over itself, just to get the game to run. I've isolated it to an onboard sounchip problem. There is a constant cracking a popping in the sound while playing FSX. Doesn't happen in other games though.

This really sucks. I've got 8800GTX problems not rendering shadows and lights and now there is a problem with the audio chip onboard that is causing the system to hard crash. NVidia better $*(# or get off the pot because people simply are not going to endure headaches like this after spending the amount of money like I did on a rig that is capable of running FSX. BTW, I am a PC Technician by trade. Been doing this for 20 years. If I'm having this much trouble I can only imagine how frustrating it is for those who have no experience working on PC's. It's lunacy for NVidia to turn a blind eye to these issues. From what I'm reading it seems they are. Won't happen with me again. Nor, my customers.

Posted 01/23/2007 02:44 PM   
Same problems here! FSX is also giving me the blue screen of death treatment you talk about. Half way through the game it reboots my PC. After rebooting, FSX is corrupted and I have to reinstall it using the same procedure described by Bananimal.

I was running the latest ForceWare graphics 97.92 but an outdated motherboard BIOS. I now updated to the latest BIOS of the eVGA 680i and I'm testing it again. This better not continue.

Ghost Recon also blue screens on me.

I'm counting on meeting nVIDIA folks at the CeBit and I'm going to ask them why we have to pay so much for unfinished products. I would like to invoice them for the hours I put into finding the problems, reporting them, and applying the fixes. I bet if we could do this they would be more careful next time.
Same problems here! FSX is also giving me the blue screen of death treatment you talk about. Half way through the game it reboots my PC. After rebooting, FSX is corrupted and I have to reinstall it using the same procedure described by Bananimal.

I was running the latest ForceWare graphics 97.92 but an outdated motherboard BIOS. I now updated to the latest BIOS of the eVGA 680i and I'm testing it again. This better not continue.

Ghost Recon also blue screens on me.

I'm counting on meeting nVIDIA folks at the CeBit and I'm going to ask them why we have to pay so much for unfinished products. I would like to invoice them for the hours I put into finding the problems, reporting them, and applying the fixes. I bet if we could do this they would be more careful next time.

Posted 02/09/2007 12:21 AM   
I experienced this problem as well. After several restarts in the middle of the flight the problem progressed over the course of a weekend to the point where
I got the blue screen of death. After several days searching for a solution I
discovered that one of my 1G ram chips was failing. Replaced the chip, problem
solved. Might be worth checking out.
I experienced this problem as well. After several restarts in the middle of the flight the problem progressed over the course of a weekend to the point where

Posted 03/31/2007 11:43 PM   
Nvidia did do a good job for a pci card,but when they put made for vista and designed for xp it sure as hell better do what it says, so far ive done billions of things to get the card working,only have i ran it successfully for a few days once,then i installed a belkin wireless g card and all hell broke loose, im figuring the problem lies somewhere with the temperture settings in the driver software,because typically artifacting and crashes happens due to temp problems in graphics processing units, i know through experiences of overclocking, also im thinking its a overclock frequency to driver software problem,possibly???but anyways im still working on the problem so once ive scavanged a few more 1,000 websites(if there even is that many)i will tell you more news.until then the cards unsupported by supported software???(someones kicking back on the pipe too much..) /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />
Nvidia did do a good job for a pci card,but when they put made for vista and designed for xp it sure as hell better do what it says, so far ive done billions of things to get the card working,only have i ran it successfully for a few days once,then i installed a belkin wireless g card and all hell broke loose, im figuring the problem lies somewhere with the temperture settings in the driver software,because typically artifacting and crashes happens due to temp problems in graphics processing units, i know through experiences of overclocking, also im thinking its a overclock frequency to driver software problem,possibly???but anyways im still working on the problem so once ive scavanged a few more 1,000 websites(if there even is that many)i will tell you more news.until then the cards unsupported by supported software???(someones kicking back on the pipe too much..) /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

Posted 04/01/2007 02:55 PM   
[quote name='vanisle' date='Mar 31 2007, 06:43 PM']I experienced this problem as well. After several restarts in the middle of the flight the problem progressed over the course of a weekend to the point where
[right][snapback]178321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yep, I've got a bad 1GB module. FSX refuses to install properly on my system still. The installer bypasses the Product ID verification and activation screen and doesn't let me activate. MS has no clue. The good news is that the shadows show up under Vista64.
[quote name='vanisle' date='Mar 31 2007, 06:43 PM']I experienced this problem as well. After several restarts in the middle of the flight the problem progressed over the course of a weekend to the point where

[snapback]178321[/snapback]

Yep, I've got a bad 1GB module. FSX refuses to install properly on my system still. The installer bypasses the Product ID verification and activation screen and doesn't let me activate. MS has no clue. The good news is that the shadows show up under Vista64.

Posted 04/01/2007 03:25 PM   
Ok, in the middle of flying fsx, or even in the begining, right when i pop up as my plane, fsx just shuts off, no blue screen or anything, no error report it just shuts off and i have to try again. My computer is a hardcore gaming laptop. Someone help.
Ok, in the middle of flying fsx, or even in the begining, right when i pop up as my plane, fsx just shuts off, no blue screen or anything, no error report it just shuts off and i have to try again. My computer is a hardcore gaming laptop. Someone help.

Posted 10/06/2009 03:17 AM   
HI ALL
I FOUND A ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM!
Your CPU overheates when playing fsx because fsx requires 90% of your procesing power.
and if your pc keeps shuuting down it means that CPU cooler is not working.
fix your CPU cooler and try play fsx.

i found a program which measures temperature of your CPU.

http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486.html

if your CPU temperature rises over 60 celsius then your CPU cooler is not working
HI ALL

I FOUND A ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM!

Your CPU overheates when playing fsx because fsx requires 90% of your procesing power.

and if your pc keeps shuuting down it means that CPU cooler is not working.

fix your CPU cooler and try play fsx.

i found a program which measures temperature of your CPU.

http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486.html

if your CPU temperature rises over 60 celsius then your CPU cooler is not working

Posted 01/30/2011 06:57 PM   
Scroll To Top