nvlddmkm stopped responding in Windows Vista Vista Driver Problem
  1 / 151    
Hi,

I'm having the folowing problem since I installed Windows Vista RTM x86 6000 on my PC. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

I've a PCI-x Geforce 6600

Using the drivers :
Windows Vista x86 RTM
Version: 97.46

Every time I'm playing a game (f.ex. : Need For Speed Carbon)

After a while the screen becomes black and the game stops for +/- 15 seconds.
Windows tells me : [i]Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered. [/i] /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />
After that I can go on and play the game until the same problem happens again.
Windows XP doesn't give me this problem.
So it is a Driver or Vista problem.

I've searched the whole internet after this problem but I've still haven't found a sollutionfor this problem.
Help Anyone ?

Greetz,

Philip.
Hi,

I'm having the folowing problem since I installed Windows Vista RTM x86 6000 on my PC. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Using the drivers :

Windows Vista x86 RTM

Windows tells me : Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered. /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

I've searched the whole internet after this problem but I've still haven't found a sollutionfor this problem.

Help Anyone ?

Greetz,

Philip.

Posted 01/16/2007 02:28 PM   
[quote name='Radical' date='Jan 16 2007, 07:28 AM']Hi,

I'm having the folowing problem since I installed Windows Vista RTM x86 6000 on my PC.  /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Using the drivers :
Windows Vista x86 RTM

Windows tells me : [i]Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered. [/i]  /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

Help Anyone ?

Greetz,

Philip.
[right][snapback]146946[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey Philip.

Just wanted to respond to this since you've had no replies. I'm having this exact problem. I have put in place the same version of drivers as yourself.

Man alive it's annoying.

I've also had, 3 or 4 times, the computer completely freeze on me, requiring a hard reboot, in some game or other, which I broadly put down to the same problem.

Additionally, I get one other negative symptom from running the nVidia card on Vista, which is absolutely aweful performance in World of Warcraft. This seems ridiculous to me. I have Doom 3 running in excess of 80 frames a second, and Oblivion similar. WoW however consistently runs at around 12 fps. I don't understand what it is about the WoW code which upsets the nVidia driver, but in XP I was getting somewhere around 100fps consistently in WoW. Shocking... simply shocking.

However, this I could live with until I get an optimised driver. What really grinds my gears is this 'your drivers has stopped responding' nonsense.

Now that we have an officially release driver from nVidia I would expect such obvious bugs to be fixed. I ran the modified driver from guru3d.com for a while, and to me it appears that the official nVidia drivers are exactly the same.

I'd very much like to have some feedback from this, either from nVidia themselves, or from someone who understands the driver architecture better than I, since it's pretty annoying.

With the Visa release to consumers only 2 weeks away, I would have hoped that something with reliable performance and no major showstopping bugs would have hit the streets by now.

J-D

-----

My system :

AMD Athlon XP 64 4000+
nVidia 7600 GT
2GB RAM
nForce4 motherboard
Windows Vista Ultimate build 6000 x86 edition.
[quote name='Radical' date='Jan 16 2007, 07:28 AM']Hi,

I'm having the folowing problem since I installed Windows Vista RTM x86 6000 on my PC.  /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Using the drivers :

Windows Vista x86 RTM

Windows tells me : Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered.   /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

Help Anyone ?

Greetz,

Philip.

[snapback]146946[/snapback]

Hey Philip.

Just wanted to respond to this since you've had no replies. I'm having this exact problem. I have put in place the same version of drivers as yourself.

Man alive it's annoying.

I've also had, 3 or 4 times, the computer completely freeze on me, requiring a hard reboot, in some game or other, which I broadly put down to the same problem.

Additionally, I get one other negative symptom from running the nVidia card on Vista, which is absolutely aweful performance in World of Warcraft. This seems ridiculous to me. I have Doom 3 running in excess of 80 frames a second, and Oblivion similar. WoW however consistently runs at around 12 fps. I don't understand what it is about the WoW code which upsets the nVidia driver, but in XP I was getting somewhere around 100fps consistently in WoW. Shocking... simply shocking.

However, this I could live with until I get an optimised driver. What really grinds my gears is this 'your drivers has stopped responding' nonsense.

Now that we have an officially release driver from nVidia I would expect such obvious bugs to be fixed. I ran the modified driver from guru3d.com for a while, and to me it appears that the official nVidia drivers are exactly the same.

I'd very much like to have some feedback from this, either from nVidia themselves, or from someone who understands the driver architecture better than I, since it's pretty annoying.

With the Visa release to consumers only 2 weeks away, I would have hoped that something with reliable performance and no major showstopping bugs would have hit the streets by now.

J-D

-----

My system :

AMD Athlon XP 64 4000+

nVidia 7600 GT

2GB RAM

nForce4 motherboard

Windows Vista Ultimate build 6000 x86 edition.

Posted 01/17/2007 02:20 PM   
Still no responses to this question?

I am experiencing very similar problem. My system was running fine for about 12 days. I could play WoW without any problems. Then suddenly the message starts appearing and I can hardly do anything. About 12 hours prior to this event, I had just spent over 8 hours playing Warcraft without any issues.

I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Vista Ultimate build 6000 and just left the Windows drivers to see what happens. In less than 12 hours the same issue starts occurring with the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered."

My computer almost runs perfectly when its idle. Now as soon as I try to play a game it starts freezing and I get the message.

Have either of you heard anything else about this? Is it a hardware or software issue?

My system :

Intel Conroe E6700 2.66 GHz
EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT
Corsair 2GB RAM
EVGA nForce 680i motherboard
OCZ GameXstream 700 watt PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate build 6000 x86 edition
Still no responses to this question?

I am experiencing very similar problem. My system was running fine for about 12 days. I could play WoW without any problems. Then suddenly the message starts appearing and I can hardly do anything. About 12 hours prior to this event, I had just spent over 8 hours playing Warcraft without any issues.

I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Vista Ultimate build 6000 and just left the Windows drivers to see what happens. In less than 12 hours the same issue starts occurring with the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has succesfully recovered."

My computer almost runs perfectly when its idle. Now as soon as I try to play a game it starts freezing and I get the message.

Have either of you heard anything else about this? Is it a hardware or software issue?

My system :

Intel Conroe E6700 2.66 GHz

EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT

Corsair 2GB RAM

EVGA nForce 680i motherboard

OCZ GameXstream 700 watt PSU

Windows Vista Ultimate build 6000 x86 edition

Posted 01/22/2007 12:41 AM   
[quote name='calebos' date='Jan 22 2007, 01:41 AM']Still no responses to this question?
[/quote]

No I'm still having the same problem. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
[quote name='calebos' date='Jan 22 2007, 01:41 AM']Still no responses to this question?

No I'm still having the same problem. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 01/22/2007 12:21 PM   
I'm afraid I can't help any, but I'm experiencing the same issue.

Stock Dell Dimension/XPS system w/ Geforce 6800

I've tried three different versions of the forceware vista drivers betas to the current 97.46 version.

All do one of two things without any reasonable cause (usually happens when I'm browsing using the stock IE with nothing running, games, opening files): display locks then goes dark (yellow light on monitor) before coming back with the "driver stopped...." message that was mentioned here, or the display freezes for 30-60 seconds before resuming.

I had 0 issues running XP, and am probably going back very soon unless a solution is found.
I'm afraid I can't help any, but I'm experiencing the same issue.

Stock Dell Dimension/XPS system w/ Geforce 6800

I've tried three different versions of the forceware vista drivers betas to the current 97.46 version.

All do one of two things without any reasonable cause (usually happens when I'm browsing using the stock IE with nothing running, games, opening files): display locks then goes dark (yellow light on monitor) before coming back with the "driver stopped...." message that was mentioned here, or the display freezes for 30-60 seconds before resuming.

I had 0 issues running XP, and am probably going back very soon unless a solution is found.

Posted 01/26/2007 04:41 AM   
HI,
had the same problem diffrent video card though..
intel Graphics media Acc......

Windows Vista Layers OpenGL on top Of Direct X causing a Huge Decres in Preformance... To Get around this You have to change windows theme to Classic. (Ugly) but it works. World OF warcraft runs great no Problems....

Disabling the Areo Visuals Stops the DirectX and fixes the Problem for me..

Hope you have the same Luck.. :) :)
HI,

had the same problem diffrent video card though..

intel Graphics media Acc......

Windows Vista Layers OpenGL on top Of Direct X causing a Huge Decres in Preformance... To Get around this You have to change windows theme to Classic. (Ugly) but it works. World OF warcraft runs great no Problems....

Disabling the Areo Visuals Stops the DirectX and fixes the Problem for me..

Hope you have the same Luck.. :) :)

Posted 01/29/2007 02:47 AM   
[quote name='Professor_Caos' date='Jan 28 2007, 06:47 PM']    Windows Vista Layers OpenGL on top Of Direct X  causing a Huge Decres in Preformance...    [/quote]

This is totally false!!! because NVidia drivers contain an ICD driver in order to have the full accelerated OpenGL support

[url="http://www.opengl.org/news/permalink/windows_vista_to_support_opengl_icds_for_aeroglass_compositing_desktop/"]http://www.opengl.org/news/permalink/windo...siting_desktop/[/url]

[i]Microsoft has enabled support for OpenGL ICDs that work with the Windows Vista compositing desktop, as of the February preview build. This is taken from a Microsoft blog:
“Windows Vista ICD’s - this is a new path for 3rd party ICD’s introduced for Windows Vista that will work in a way that is compatible with desktop composition. Essentially allowing direct access to the GPU for hardware accellaration, but then having the final surface that appears to be the front buffer to the application actually be a shared surface that gets composed by the DWM”.
[b]This means that the OpenGL API and the Aeroglass window manager will work in harmony and fully accelerated once the hardware vendors get their Vista ICDs written and released[/b].
Kudos to all developers who contacted their ISVs/HSVs to ensure that OpenGL was fully supported under Vista. You made the difference.[/i]
[quote name='Professor_Caos' date='Jan 28 2007, 06:47 PM']    Windows Vista Layers OpenGL on top Of Direct X  causing a Huge Decres in Preformance...   

This is totally false!!! because NVidia drivers contain an ICD driver in order to have the full accelerated OpenGL support

http://www.opengl.org/news/permalink/windo...siting_desktop/

Microsoft has enabled support for OpenGL ICDs that work with the Windows Vista compositing desktop, as of the February preview build. This is taken from a Microsoft blog:

“Windows Vista ICD’s - this is a new path for 3rd party ICD’s introduced for Windows Vista that will work in a way that is compatible with desktop composition. Essentially allowing direct access to the GPU for hardware accellaration, but then having the final surface that appears to be the front buffer to the application actually be a shared surface that gets composed by the DWM”.

This means that the OpenGL API and the Aeroglass window manager will work in harmony and fully accelerated once the hardware vendors get their Vista ICDs written and released.

Kudos to all developers who contacted their ISVs/HSVs to ensure that OpenGL was fully supported under Vista. You made the difference.

GeForce 210 | Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

Posted 01/29/2007 10:43 AM   
same problem on a 7800GTX with AMD64 4400+ x2. Experienced on all Vista installs (Ultimate/Ultimate64/Home Premium). This really shouldnt be happening with RTM drivers.

Any ideas - does turning off Aero work?
same problem on a 7800GTX with AMD64 4400+ x2. Experienced on all Vista installs (Ultimate/Ultimate64/Home Premium). This really shouldnt be happening with RTM drivers.

Any ideas - does turning off Aero work?

Posted 01/29/2007 11:04 PM   
I too had problems with NFS Carbon under Vista, to correct this issue I had to enable Win 98 compatability mode on the games executable. after doing so the game runs without error. /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />
I too had problems with NFS Carbon under Vista, to correct this issue I had to enable Win 98 compatability mode on the games executable. after doing so the game runs without error. /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

Posted 01/30/2007 01:15 AM   
[quote name='ImaFoolRu12' date='Jan 30 2007, 02:15 AM']I too had problems with NFS Carbon under Vista, to correct this issue I had to enable Win 98 compatability mode on the games executable. after doing so the game runs without error.  /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />
[right][snapback]151725[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No no, this isn't the problem and turning off Aero doesn't resolve the problem.

I'm starting to think this is Vista who doesn't manage the power of my system.
When things are starting to heat up, the system fails.

Ph.
[quote name='ImaFoolRu12' date='Jan 30 2007, 02:15 AM']I too had problems with NFS Carbon under Vista, to correct this issue I had to enable Win 98 compatability mode on the games executable. after doing so the game runs without error.  /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />

[snapback]151725[/snapback]

No no, this isn't the problem and turning off Aero doesn't resolve the problem.

I'm starting to think this is Vista who doesn't manage the power of my system.

When things are starting to heat up, the system fails.

Ph.

Posted 01/30/2007 11:14 PM   
i have to say turning the windows environment to Windows Classic has fixed the out of game crashing. For counterstrike this works pretty well for me - used to crash every 10 mins - now have only had 1 crash in about last 4 hrs of playing (which could have been game related cos it was a full system crash) i did this

set compatability mode to 2000
disabled visual themes
disables desktop composition

----------------------------------

anyway try that - im just about to start trying the new drivers 100.59 released today so will let you guys know
i have to say turning the windows environment to Windows Classic has fixed the out of game crashing. For counterstrike this works pretty well for me - used to crash every 10 mins - now have only had 1 crash in about last 4 hrs of playing (which could have been game related cos it was a full system crash) i did this

set compatability mode to 2000

disabled visual themes

disables desktop composition

----------------------------------

anyway try that - im just about to start trying the new drivers 100.59 released today so will let you guys know

Posted 02/01/2007 09:10 AM   
ok guys - scratch the new drivers fixing the problem. CS:S crashes like every 2 mins now and the graphics driver recovers, but this time it did recover everytime, all 15 times in 30 mins. BS.

So scratch the above guys - may help someone still on the 99 series drivers. Good luck and as soon as anyone finds anything it would be appreciated
ok guys - scratch the new drivers fixing the problem. CS:S crashes like every 2 mins now and the graphics driver recovers, but this time it did recover everytime, all 15 times in 30 mins. BS.

So scratch the above guys - may help someone still on the 99 series drivers. Good luck and as soon as anyone finds anything it would be appreciated

Posted 02/01/2007 09:46 AM   
I have found that removing a stick of RAM from my system and running in single channel solves this issue. I am working with OCZ now for an explanation as to why.
I have found that removing a stick of RAM from my system and running in single channel solves this issue. I am working with OCZ now for an explanation as to why.

Core 2 Quad Extreme
Dual 8800GTX in SLI Driving a Dell 24" LCD
EVGA 680i
2GB OCZ DDR2-1066
X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition
Dual 150GB Raptors in RAID 0
Silverstone Zeus 850W PS
Silverstone TJ07 Chassis
Logitech Z-5500's
Logitech G5 and Saitek Eclipse II
Vista x64

Posted 02/01/2007 08:42 PM   
Sounds like we have hardware issues and not driver ones. :(
Sounds like we have hardware issues and not driver ones. :(

Posted 02/01/2007 08:45 PM   
I also have a friend at nVidia replicating my system with the exact components and running Vista x64 like I am. I will keep you all posted, but suffice to say with one stick of RAM I am running like a champ. (Except for the horrible amount of disc caching going on... /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> )
I also have a friend at nVidia replicating my system with the exact components and running Vista x64 like I am. I will keep you all posted, but suffice to say with one stick of RAM I am running like a champ. (Except for the horrible amount of disc caching going on... /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' /> )

Core 2 Quad Extreme
Dual 8800GTX in SLI Driving a Dell 24" LCD
EVGA 680i
2GB OCZ DDR2-1066
X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition
Dual 150GB Raptors in RAID 0
Silverstone Zeus 850W PS
Silverstone TJ07 Chassis
Logitech Z-5500's
Logitech G5 and Saitek Eclipse II
Vista x64

Posted 02/01/2007 08:50 PM