Raid 1 Rebuild How to rebuild raid 1 without losing dat
Hi,
I´ve been reading the nvidia raid user guide again and again but still have not found an answer to be 200% sure.

I have a MSI k8N Neo 4 Plat mobo that was malfunctioning due to a bad mobo battery. On SATA1 i have XP running. On SATA3 & 4 i have a raid 1 mirror of two WD´s 250GB for backup purposes. the real essentials so to speak.

With the issues fixed and bios settings reset, I want to have the mirror again, without loss of data. As i have best understood it from the guide, this would be the right way to go:

1. RAID enable SATA 3 + SATA 4 in bios
2. F10 save, reboot PC
3. enter RAID bios, F10
4. Define new array: raid mode=mirror, striping= optimal
5. assign both disks, F7
6. Clear disk data prompt = YES (?)
7. Select array, Enter
8. ????
9. enter, exit RAID bios (Ctrl X)
10. Load Nvidia RAID drivers under windows

My uncertainty starts at 6. What am i deleting here? Just info on the array in the mbr or the data on the disk itself? The guide says that i need to choose Yes since the drives were previously used as RAID drives.

After selecting the array, what do i choose here: R=rebuild? C=clear disk, press N? or just Enter to exit to windows?

Or should i exit to windows directly at step 8. and do i need to rebuild the mirrored array, as ie described with NVidia RAID utility?

any help is greatly appreciated
Hi,

I´ve been reading the nvidia raid user guide again and again but still have not found an answer to be 200% sure.

I have a MSI k8N Neo 4 Plat mobo that was malfunctioning due to a bad mobo battery. On SATA1 i have XP running. On SATA3 & 4 i have a raid 1 mirror of two WD´s 250GB for backup purposes. the real essentials so to speak.

With the issues fixed and bios settings reset, I want to have the mirror again, without loss of data. As i have best understood it from the guide, this would be the right way to go:

1. RAID enable SATA 3 + SATA 4 in bios

2. F10 save, reboot PC

3. enter RAID bios, F10

4. Define new array: raid mode=mirror, striping= optimal

5. assign both disks, F7

6. Clear disk data prompt = YES (?)

7. Select array, Enter

8. ????

9. enter, exit RAID bios (Ctrl X)

10. Load Nvidia RAID drivers under windows

My uncertainty starts at 6. What am i deleting here? Just info on the array in the mbr or the data on the disk itself? The guide says that i need to choose Yes since the drives were previously used as RAID drives.

After selecting the array, what do i choose here: R=rebuild? C=clear disk, press N? or just Enter to exit to windows?

Or should i exit to windows directly at step 8. and do i need to rebuild the mirrored array, as ie described with NVidia RAID utility?

any help is greatly appreciated

Posted 01/14/2007 01:10 AM   
Do NOT clear data ....

Simply define the array as it was originally built and save. Clearing data, clears all the data on the drives !!!

Raid sets can be moved between systems and imported successfully, provided you do NOT clear data ...

I have successfully moved mirrored and striped arrays between various MB's [ASUS - ASUS, ASUS - MSI, GIGA - ASUS] as long as they all use the same Nforce chipset.

But, if the data is really important, I would always just connect 1 drive from the array, define it as a standalone in bios and copy the data to a backup location. Once this backup is done, then connect the full array to MB and boot normally.

good luck
Do NOT clear data ....

Simply define the array as it was originally built and save. Clearing data, clears all the data on the drives !!!

Raid sets can be moved between systems and imported successfully, provided you do NOT clear data ...

I have successfully moved mirrored and striped arrays between various MB's [ASUS - ASUS, ASUS - MSI, GIGA - ASUS] as long as they all use the same Nforce chipset.

But, if the data is really important, I would always just connect 1 drive from the array, define it as a standalone in bios and copy the data to a backup location. Once this backup is done, then connect the full array to MB and boot normally.

good luck

Posted 01/14/2007 04:58 AM   
No, do [b]not[/b] clear disk data - that will set the partition(s) in the MBR as "empty". First just try a boot to Windows with the NVRaid drivers to see if the mirror array is broken. If it is, you'll have to rebuild it starting from one or other of the two drives and I'd recommend using MediaShield to do the rebuild in WinXP - saves having to wait for the NVRaid BIOS utitlity to do it. Since it's a mirror, it shouldn't matter which of the two drives you start from but in your situation, I'd check each to see if one might have gotten damaged during your little err, detour.
No, do not clear disk data - that will set the partition(s) in the MBR as "empty". First just try a boot to Windows with the NVRaid drivers to see if the mirror array is broken. If it is, you'll have to rebuild it starting from one or other of the two drives and I'd recommend using MediaShield to do the rebuild in WinXP - saves having to wait for the NVRaid BIOS utitlity to do it. Since it's a mirror, it shouldn't matter which of the two drives you start from but in your situation, I'd check each to see if one might have gotten damaged during your little err, detour.

Posted 01/14/2007 09:52 AM   
Thanks for the clarification on the right approach. I have backed up the drives and conigured the raid in BIOS settings. Everything went smoothly. It did recognize the former raid array, no need to rebuild or whatsever. Very reassuring.

Cheers /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
Thanks for the clarification on the right approach. I have backed up the drives and conigured the raid in BIOS settings. Everything went smoothly. It did recognize the former raid array, no need to rebuild or whatsever. Very reassuring.

Cheers /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 01/14/2007 08:16 PM   
Scroll To Top