Official G80 Drivers thread Ask all G80/Vista questions here
  1 / 73    
Hi All,
I can see there's quite a bit of angst around the release of Vista drivers for the 8800 series. Looking slightly less ambitiously, I'm hoping for a release of WHQL'd drivers for the 8800 series so I can at least run my standard applications in XP. Has anyone heard any news on when such a driver update might be released (or if it's at least in the works?) Thanks!
Hi All,

I can see there's quite a bit of angst around the release of Vista drivers for the 8800 series. Looking slightly less ambitiously, I'm hoping for a release of WHQL'd drivers for the 8800 series so I can at least run my standard applications in XP. Has anyone heard any news on when such a driver update might be released (or if it's at least in the works?) Thanks!

Posted 11/28/2006 08:39 PM   
Users have requested a topic to where they can voice their concerns/comments regarding the state of VISTA. I've been listening and decided to keep it contained to this thread. So please have future VISTA concerns relegated to this thread. There are a few ground rules in this post and by posting in this thread you have agreed to these rules.

1 ) No Flaming. Users are allowed to post there opinions and those opinions are to be discussed in a mature fashion. If there are posts where a user is flaming another. The post will be deleted without any notification. This goes for moderators too!

2 ) Posts that are purely meant to stir up people with either anti Nvidia or Anti Moderation type content will be deleted. Without notification.

I am giving this thread a chance because users want to talk about it and I want users to be able to talk about it. If people can be mature adults about these conversations then they will be allowed.

The official comment from Nvidia is.

[quote][b]"We recognize that many GeForce 8800 customers are eager to use their new hardware with Windows Vista. We've received numerous questions from users, and we've seen your comments and complaints on the forums.

Due to rigorous testing requirements to ensure stability and optimal performance, Vista drivers for GeForce 8800 are still in QA. Our driver team and test labs must ensure compatibility across multiple platforms and hundreds of applications, a process that takes several weeks to complete. Please keep in mind that Windows Vista will not be available to end-users until the end of January. We'd like to assure you that Vista drivers for the GeForce 8800 will be available to download when Vista ships to end users at the end of January.

Thank you."[/b][/quote]

Also the issue has also been covered in another thread which was recently closed. This thread is still available for viewing below.

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21884"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21884[/url]
Users have requested a topic to where they can voice their concerns/comments regarding the state of VISTA. I've been listening and decided to keep it contained to this thread. So please have future VISTA concerns relegated to this thread. There are a few ground rules in this post and by posting in this thread you have agreed to these rules.

1 ) No Flaming. Users are allowed to post there opinions and those opinions are to be discussed in a mature fashion. If there are posts where a user is flaming another. The post will be deleted without any notification. This goes for moderators too!

2 ) Posts that are purely meant to stir up people with either anti Nvidia or Anti Moderation type content will be deleted. Without notification.

I am giving this thread a chance because users want to talk about it and I want users to be able to talk about it. If people can be mature adults about these conversations then they will be allowed.

The official comment from Nvidia is.

"We recognize that many GeForce 8800 customers are eager to use their new hardware with Windows Vista. We've received numerous questions from users, and we've seen your comments and complaints on the forums.

Due to rigorous testing requirements to ensure stability and optimal performance, Vista drivers for GeForce 8800 are still in QA. Our driver team and test labs must ensure compatibility across multiple platforms and hundreds of applications, a process that takes several weeks to complete. Please keep in mind that Windows Vista will not be available to end-users until the end of January. We'd like to assure you that Vista drivers for the GeForce 8800 will be available to download when Vista ships to end users at the end of January.

Thank you."

Also the issue has also been covered in another thread which was recently closed. This thread is still available for viewing below.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21884

Posted 12/02/2006 07:11 PM   
Here you guys go. I am giving everyone the chance to carry out mature discussion related to this topic. Please follow the rules specifically mentioned in this thread as well as current forums rules. However do not expect an official reply to anything posted here.

Chris
Here you guys go. I am giving everyone the chance to carry out mature discussion related to this topic. Please follow the rules specifically mentioned in this thread as well as current forums rules. However do not expect an official reply to anything posted here.

Chris

Posted 12/02/2006 07:16 PM   
[quote name='ChrisRay' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:16 AM']Here you guys go. I am giving everyone the chance to carry out mature discussion related to this topic. Please follow the rules specifically mentioned in this thread as well as current forums rules. However do not expect an official reply to anything posted here.

Chris
[right][snapback]132602[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Chris do you know of a way to get Aero and wide screen reses to work on the 8800gtx in vista 64?
[quote name='ChrisRay' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:16 AM']Here you guys go. I am giving everyone the chance to carry out mature discussion related to this topic. Please follow the rules specifically mentioned in this thread as well as current forums rules. However do not expect an official reply to anything posted here.

Chris

[snapback]132602[/snapback]

Chris do you know of a way to get Aero and wide screen reses to work on the 8800gtx in vista 64?

Posted 12/02/2006 07:52 PM   
Formulajh7: X64 Vista only accepts Microsoft certified drivers as far as I'm aware. I'm afraid you'll need to wait for nVidia to release the drivers mentioned above to use this feature.
Craig.
Formulajh7: X64 Vista only accepts Microsoft certified drivers as far as I'm aware. I'm afraid you'll need to wait for nVidia to release the drivers mentioned above to use this feature.

Craig.

Posted 12/02/2006 09:12 PM   
[quote name='Formulajh7' date='Dec 2 2006, 08:52 PM']Chris do you know of a way to get Aero and wide screen reses to work on the 8800gtx in vista 64?
[right][snapback]132611[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Right now you can't.
You can get widescreen by installing the XP drivers for x86 or x64, but if you do this then you must disable all hardware acceleration as a Direct3D or Direct Draw call will reboot the system.
This is how I'm using mine at present, not ideal but at least lets me do some of my testing without having to swap cards in and out of the machine whenever I want to game in XP.

[quote name='craigspc' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:12 PM']Formulajh7:  X64 Vista only accepts Microsoft certified drivers as far as I'm aware.  That would mean that you'll need to wait for nVidia to release the drivers mentioned above to use this feature.
Craig.
[right][snapback]132625[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can avoid this by hitting F8 on boot and selecting Disabled Device Driver Signing (or words to this affect), but you have to do this every boot.
This is also required to run the XP x64 drivers as these are obviously unsigned.

Hope this helps out a few people while we wait :)
[quote name='Formulajh7' date='Dec 2 2006, 08:52 PM']Chris do you know of a way to get Aero and wide screen reses to work on the 8800gtx in vista 64?

[snapback]132611[/snapback]

Right now you can't.

You can get widescreen by installing the XP drivers for x86 or x64, but if you do this then you must disable all hardware acceleration as a Direct3D or Direct Draw call will reboot the system.

This is how I'm using mine at present, not ideal but at least lets me do some of my testing without having to swap cards in and out of the machine whenever I want to game in XP.

[quote name='craigspc' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:12 PM']Formulajh7:  X64 Vista only accepts Microsoft certified drivers as far as I'm aware.  That would mean that you'll need to wait for nVidia to release the drivers mentioned above to use this feature.

Craig.

[snapback]132625[/snapback]

You can avoid this by hitting F8 on boot and selecting Disabled Device Driver Signing (or words to this affect), but you have to do this every boot.

This is also required to run the XP x64 drivers as these are obviously unsigned.

Hope this helps out a few people while we wait :)

Posted 12/02/2006 09:18 PM   
[b]Everyone[/b] - Vista Activation Question:

You know how the activation is keyed to hardware.... do you think if you activate now, (with Standard VGA) once nvidia releases drivers; that the hardware signature will have changed enough to cause the activation signature to change, causing your activation to fail?

It's not really a big deal for the MSDN's since I think we get 10 activations per key, but I'd rather not waste one, I'm just thinking it might be ANOTHER debacle for nvidia, since the activation time requirements is sooner then the expected vista driver release...

Something to maybe pass along to nvidia, (if its going to be a problem?)
Everyone - Vista Activation Question:

You know how the activation is keyed to hardware.... do you think if you activate now, (with Standard VGA) once nvidia releases drivers; that the hardware signature will have changed enough to cause the activation signature to change, causing your activation to fail?

It's not really a big deal for the MSDN's since I think we get 10 activations per key, but I'd rather not waste one, I'm just thinking it might be ANOTHER debacle for nvidia, since the activation time requirements is sooner then the expected vista driver release...

Posted 12/02/2006 09:26 PM   
[quote name='ChrisRay' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:11 AM']Users have requested a topic to where they can voice their concerns/comments regarding the state of VISTA. I've been listening and decided to keep it contained to this thread. [/quote]

Thank you, Chris.
[quote name='ChrisRay' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:11 AM']Users have requested a topic to where they can voice their concerns/comments regarding the state of VISTA. I've been listening and decided to keep it contained to this thread.

Thank you, Chris.

Posted 12/02/2006 10:21 PM   
Hellow evrybody.

I'm not a G80 user however i would use the opportunity to give my oppinion for "Vista drivers call".
I have to admit that leaked ForceWare 97.34 for Vista x86 RTM really perform much better than previous driver versions. However there is alot of stuff which simply dont work or work bad (not counting the small bugs and so on). This is my main reason to look forward for new (and beter) video drivers for Vista (despite the fact, that only the Business version of Vista is available to buy). I suppouse many others have the same reason to ask for drivers as long as their video card is capable of running Vista.
Hellow evrybody.

I'm not a G80 user however i would use the opportunity to give my oppinion for "Vista drivers call".

I have to admit that leaked ForceWare 97.34 for Vista x86 RTM really perform much better than previous driver versions. However there is alot of stuff which simply dont work or work bad (not counting the small bugs and so on). This is my main reason to look forward for new (and beter) video drivers for Vista (despite the fact, that only the Business version of Vista is available to buy). I suppouse many others have the same reason to ask for drivers as long as their video card is capable of running Vista.

Giga-Byte K8NF-9 nForce4-4x
Athlon64 X2 4800+ rev. E6 + BOX cooling
2x 1GB DDR400 Super Talent CL2 2-3-3-6 1T
ASUS 6600TD 128MB PCI-E @ 480/680 + custom made BIOS & turbo mode 520/680
MaXtor 40GB 7200rpm 2MB cache ATA133
Pioneer DVR-106D
Samsung SyncMaster 755DFX
Creative Inspire T7900
Creative X-Fi Music

Posted 12/02/2006 11:17 PM   
Hello I tried Vista on this machine and well excepting for the Sound Card (Auzentech) everything gave me a nice and shiny 1280x1024 on my Dell m992 19" CRT and the nVidia GeForce 7300GS I have. If the sound worked I would be using Vista right now. I have the RC1 on DVD and everything and am waiting for Systemax, the vendor of my PC to get back with me on the Vista Business Express upgrade I may get, now on Concern over Keys or the Windows Add Remove Hardware / Software thing. This is once again Disturbing as its my system and if I want to update a driver or some hardware, why as a Legal and Registered user of the Operating system I be forced to re activate it because I made too many changes? Yes I realize this is the nVidia Forums but I am sure many of you out there share the same concern over oh hey I like that new nVidia 8950 that came out, and someone did some nice adjustments on it, making an SLI Card on one Slot. For those of us who did not get the Dual 16X PCIe Slots. Why should I be penalized for getting new hardware and drivers for my system when I want?
Hello I tried Vista on this machine and well excepting for the Sound Card (Auzentech) everything gave me a nice and shiny 1280x1024 on my Dell m992 19" CRT and the nVidia GeForce 7300GS I have. If the sound worked I would be using Vista right now. I have the RC1 on DVD and everything and am waiting for Systemax, the vendor of my PC to get back with me on the Vista Business Express upgrade I may get, now on Concern over Keys or the Windows Add Remove Hardware / Software thing. This is once again Disturbing as its my system and if I want to update a driver or some hardware, why as a Legal and Registered user of the Operating system I be forced to re activate it because I made too many changes? Yes I realize this is the nVidia Forums but I am sure many of you out there share the same concern over oh hey I like that new nVidia 8950 that came out, and someone did some nice adjustments on it, making an SLI Card on one Slot. For those of us who did not get the Dual 16X PCIe Slots. Why should I be penalized for getting new hardware and drivers for my system when I want?

MSI K9N Neo F AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athalon 64 X 2 AM2 5200+
2GB PC4300 Ram
nVidia GeForce 7300 GS 512MB DDR3 (yes its true)
2 X 250SATA II 3GB 1 80GB EIDE to SATA 1
MSI Mainboard NEO F nVidia nForce 550 MCPS

Posted 12/02/2006 11:43 PM   
[quote name='IvanRaide' date='Dec 2 2006, 04:26 PM'][b]Everyone[/b] - Vista Activation Question:

[right][snapback]132632[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was in the exact same boat. I bit the bullet and activated it. In our company those MSDN activations were going fast.

Cheers,

Tom
[quote name='IvanRaide' date='Dec 2 2006, 04:26 PM']Everyone - Vista Activation Question:

[snapback]132632[/snapback]

I was in the exact same boat. I bit the bullet and activated it. In our company those MSDN activations were going fast.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted 12/03/2006 02:35 AM   
[quote name='bthunderw' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:35 PM']I was in the exact same boat. I bit the bullet and activated it. In our company those MSDN activations were going fast.

Cheers,

Tom
[right][snapback]132713[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I took my 8800gtx out and installed a 7950gt I had, and there was no activation issue going from the 8800gtx to the 7950gt, I believe the activation is tied to your main component, the motherboard.
[quote name='bthunderw' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:35 PM']I was in the exact same boat. I bit the bullet and activated it. In our company those MSDN activations were going fast.

Cheers,

Tom

[snapback]132713[/snapback]

I took my 8800gtx out and installed a 7950gt I had, and there was no activation issue going from the 8800gtx to the 7950gt, I believe the activation is tied to your main component, the motherboard.

Posted 12/03/2006 03:47 AM   
[quote name='Flyingcrazy' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:47 PM']I took my 8800gtx out and installed a 7950gt I had, and there was no activation issue going from the 8800gtx to the 7950gt, I believe the activation is tied to your main component, the motherboard.
[right][snapback]132727[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, I suspect the biggest factor is the MAC address on your network card, since most of the new mobo's come with onboard LAN, that's pretty much a done deal. The prolly also use the CPUID if enabled. Not sure if there's an option in BIOS to disable it any more.

Cheers,

Tom
[quote name='Flyingcrazy' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:47 PM']I took my 8800gtx out and installed a 7950gt I had, and there was no activation issue going from the 8800gtx to the 7950gt, I believe the activation is tied to your main component, the motherboard.

[snapback]132727[/snapback]

Yeah, I suspect the biggest factor is the MAC address on your network card, since most of the new mobo's come with onboard LAN, that's pretty much a done deal. The prolly also use the CPUID if enabled. Not sure if there's an option in BIOS to disable it any more.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted 12/03/2006 05:05 AM   
[right][snapback]132727[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Cheers,

Tom

[snapback]132727[/snapback]

Cheers,

Tom

Posted 12/03/2006 05:06 AM   
You should grow up, as frustrating as it can be we have to wait it out. The first post in this said to be a grown up and then you come in acting like a 6 or 7 year old throwing a fit.
You should grow up, as frustrating as it can be we have to wait it out. The first post in this said to be a grown up and then you come in acting like a 6 or 7 year old throwing a fit.

Posted 12/03/2006 06:24 AM   
  1 / 73    
Scroll To Top