Brightness/Contrast screen keep popping up
I am using a Pentium, with windows xp service pack2, direct x9.

My graphics card is geforce fx5500, forceware version: 81.98

My dell monitor is Dell E152FP

I want to ask why my brightness/contrast screen of the monitor keeps popping up?

Is it due to viruses or malware? (which I dun think so as my virus, spyware are up to date)

Is it due to my monitor malfunctioning or graphics card?

Is it because I never install upgrades of geforce?

Please help.
I am using a Pentium, with windows xp service pack2, direct x9.

I want to ask why my brightness/contrast screen of the monitor keeps popping up?

Is it due to viruses or malware? (which I dun think so as my virus, spyware are up to date)

Please help.

Posted 12/17/2006 04:13 AM   
Hello Orion,
Did you ever get a reply or a resolution to your Dell monitor popup? (The problem is a pane/ for controlling brightness & contrast spontaneously pops up on your monitor.)

I have a client whose machine has done the same thing (It is a Dell E173FPb monitor.) I think that it is an internal fault in the monitor; when I moved it to another machine, the same problem occurred. I also noticed that sometimes the box would open on the "exit" line, sometimes on the "brightness" line and sometimes on the "contrast." It also would sometimes open and go racing through all the options, highlighting them in blue, in turn. This looks suspiciously similar to the effect you get by pushing and holding in the "-" button on the monitor itself. I believe that the switch is internally being turned on (by interference or an electrical short circuit.)

Do you smoke in the house or office where the computer is? My client is a smoker -- the cigarette smoke may infiltrate the switching system and cause an ionic bridge across the connections which may cause the problem. On the other hand, it could also be as simple as a weak spring or tolerances changing as the plastic shrinks/distorts.

1. Let Dell know. I am sure there are more of us out there with troubles! (They told me repeatedly on the phone that it must be a problem with my clients downloaded files, despite the fact that the client is not on the internet and the problem was obviously hardware not soft!)
2. If you smoke, gently air out the monitor through its vents with compressed gas for computer cleaning -- a hexane based solution or something similar may blast and dissolve some offending stuff. Check your owners manual to make sure this is OK.
3. Make sure the "-" button is not sticky/sticking in a little bit.
4. You can try: laying the monitor on its face (make sure you do not put pressure on the LCD screen) and gently shaking it. (This provided temporary relief for the monitor here. It may have separated the problem short?) If the shaking works, try using the monitor "tipped forward" at the stand's wrist joint. You may have to put it up on a couple of phone books so that you can still see it . . .

Cheers

[quote name='Orion' date='Dec 16 2006, 10:13 PM']I am using a Pentium, with windows xp service pack2, direct x9.

Please help.
[right][snapback]136380[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hello Orion,

Did you ever get a reply or a resolution to your Dell monitor popup? (The problem is a pane/ for controlling brightness & contrast spontaneously pops up on your monitor.)

I have a client whose machine has done the same thing (It is a Dell E173FPb monitor.) I think that it is an internal fault in the monitor; when I moved it to another machine, the same problem occurred. I also noticed that sometimes the box would open on the "exit" line, sometimes on the "brightness" line and sometimes on the "contrast." It also would sometimes open and go racing through all the options, highlighting them in blue, in turn. This looks suspiciously similar to the effect you get by pushing and holding in the "-" button on the monitor itself. I believe that the switch is internally being turned on (by interference or an electrical short circuit.)

Do you smoke in the house or office where the computer is? My client is a smoker -- the cigarette smoke may infiltrate the switching system and cause an ionic bridge across the connections which may cause the problem. On the other hand, it could also be as simple as a weak spring or tolerances changing as the plastic shrinks/distorts.

1. Let Dell know. I am sure there are more of us out there with troubles! (They told me repeatedly on the phone that it must be a problem with my clients downloaded files, despite the fact that the client is not on the internet and the problem was obviously hardware not soft!)

2. If you smoke, gently air out the monitor through its vents with compressed gas for computer cleaning -- a hexane based solution or something similar may blast and dissolve some offending stuff. Check your owners manual to make sure this is OK.

3. Make sure the "-" button is not sticky/sticking in a little bit.

4. You can try: laying the monitor on its face (make sure you do not put pressure on the LCD screen) and gently shaking it. (This provided temporary relief for the monitor here. It may have separated the problem short?) If the shaking works, try using the monitor "tipped forward" at the stand's wrist joint. You may have to put it up on a couple of phone books so that you can still see it . . .

Cheers

[quote name='Orion' date='Dec 16 2006, 10:13 PM']I am using a Pentium, with windows xp service pack2, direct x9.

Please help.

[snapback]136380[/snapback]

Posted 03/16/2007 09:34 PM   
Scroll To Top