Driver Updates Makes My Screen Flash on and off FX5200, Nvidia drivers do it...
Ok, so all of a sudden one day my computer screen starts to flash on and off quite frenquently. So we take it to a tech to see what the issue is...he siad that the card was fine, and so were the drivers....recomends that I start fresh. So I reinstalled Windows, but didn't format the HD. That way i'd have all my program files...but loose all My Documents, and Have a fresh windows to work off of (note Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Was SP2 when problem began, before I reinstalled XP. Doesn't seem the Service Pack has anything to do with it.) OK. So I have the fresh version of xp on my comp, no drivers for my video card and few other things, but my screen doesn't mess up at all. Not even the slight shake and quick black line flash that I'm experiencing now.
Everythings working great, speedy, got internet on and all. Then I decide to go to microsoft and download updates for everything I could. Umong the list was a 2003 driver for my card. So I downloaded it and computer restarted, but when it came back on it was a bit flashy, probably snaping on and off every 2 minutes or so. SO then I try to see if that tech knew what he was talking about and uninstalled the driver, comp restarts and what'd know it's working fine agian (execpt that I can't play any games that require decent graphics card). After that I figure it could be that that 2003 driver is to old, so I go to Nvida driver download site and get the newest one. Nov2 2006, after that ones installed my computer really reacts bad. The screen is now turning on and off 10 times every 10 seconds...Their was a few periods that the screen wasn't messing up and I was able to click on my name to log in and allow my XP account to load for long time, but in the end my comp. crashed and I decided to go into safe mode to roll back this new driver and use my comp with the 2003 driver...

I guess I wana know what I should do...what's causing this problem...it seems that my card may infact be a lil screwy...or should I completely format my comp instead of just reinstalling windows xp....I guess I could put the card in another PCI port....I dunno just tell me what you think, any and all help is wellcome.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted you to be informed of the situation.
Ok, so all of a sudden one day my computer screen starts to flash on and off quite frenquently. So we take it to a tech to see what the issue is...he siad that the card was fine, and so were the drivers....recomends that I start fresh. So I reinstalled Windows, but didn't format the HD. That way i'd have all my program files...but loose all My Documents, and Have a fresh windows to work off of (note Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Was SP2 when problem began, before I reinstalled XP. Doesn't seem the Service Pack has anything to do with it.) OK. So I have the fresh version of xp on my comp, no drivers for my video card and few other things, but my screen doesn't mess up at all. Not even the slight shake and quick black line flash that I'm experiencing now.

Everythings working great, speedy, got internet on and all. Then I decide to go to microsoft and download updates for everything I could. Umong the list was a 2003 driver for my card. So I downloaded it and computer restarted, but when it came back on it was a bit flashy, probably snaping on and off every 2 minutes or so. SO then I try to see if that tech knew what he was talking about and uninstalled the driver, comp restarts and what'd know it's working fine agian (execpt that I can't play any games that require decent graphics card). After that I figure it could be that that 2003 driver is to old, so I go to Nvida driver download site and get the newest one. Nov2 2006, after that ones installed my computer really reacts bad. The screen is now turning on and off 10 times every 10 seconds...Their was a few periods that the screen wasn't messing up and I was able to click on my name to log in and allow my XP account to load for long time, but in the end my comp. crashed and I decided to go into safe mode to roll back this new driver and use my comp with the 2003 driver...

I guess I wana know what I should do...what's causing this problem...it seems that my card may infact be a lil screwy...or should I completely format my comp instead of just reinstalling windows xp....I guess I could put the card in another PCI port....I dunno just tell me what you think, any and all help is wellcome.

Posted 11/23/2006 08:34 AM   
I'd backup important stuff and try a format and clean install of Windows, and install the drivers first thing on bootup. Then you should know if you're having some serious driver issues or not.
I'd backup important stuff and try a format and clean install of Windows, and install the drivers first thing on bootup. Then you should know if you're having some serious driver issues or not.

Posted 11/23/2006 12:00 PM   
Yea I would do that, but it seems to me that because it worked fine before I installed the nvidia drivers, it must have something to do with how my card is responding to the drivers...I really don't wana have to back up everything :\.
Yea I would do that, but it seems to me that because it worked fine before I installed the nvidia drivers, it must have something to do with how my card is responding to the drivers...I really don't wana have to back up everything :\.

Posted 11/23/2006 06:43 PM   
Problem: After installing Nvidia Dreivers monitor flashes off, pause, then on, pause, then repeat. This affest both Win XP32bit / Win XP64bit (x64).
Seems to affect PCI-E cards (not AGP) from about 5000 series to current 8800.
Problem usually ocurrs within first 5-10 min. after logging into Windows.

Side note: I have applyed the solution for a PCI-E 6800 GS 256MB card and have been running now for about half an hour with no problems!! YAY!

After searching the net and having similar problems myself, you should try this:

Solution: Use regedit to correct a registry/driver bug
Remember to back up your registry first.
Also this may disable your abliity to switch to a HD TV output.
(you can always reinstall if you really need to)

Start/Run/ REGEDIT <enter>
Search for all instances of PlayOnMyTv and FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516. Delete the keys.

This worked for me. (at least when my tv is not hooked up)

!ove from the Heart, not of the World! It works, /hug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hug:' />

[quote name='transmitac' date='Nov 23 2006, 04:34 AM']Ok, so all of a sudden one day my computer screen starts to flash on and off quite frenquently. So we take it to a tech to see what the issue is...he siad that the card was fine, and so were the drivers....recomends that I start fresh. So I reinstalled Windows, but didn't format the HD. That way i'd have all my program files...but loose all My Documents, and Have a fresh windows to work off of (note Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Was SP2 when problem began, before I reinstalled XP. Doesn't seem the Service Pack has anything to do with it.) OK. So I have the fresh version of xp on my comp, no drivers for my video card and few other things, but my screen doesn't mess up at all. Not even the slight shake and quick black line flash that I'm experiencing now.

[right][snapback]129256[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Problem: After installing Nvidia Dreivers monitor flashes off, pause, then on, pause, then repeat. This affest both Win XP32bit / Win XP64bit (x64).

Seems to affect PCI-E cards (not AGP) from about 5000 series to current 8800.

Problem usually ocurrs within first 5-10 min. after logging into Windows.

Side note: I have applyed the solution for a PCI-E 6800 GS 256MB card and have been running now for about half an hour with no problems!! YAY!

After searching the net and having similar problems myself, you should try this:

Solution: Use regedit to correct a registry/driver bug

Remember to back up your registry first.

Also this may disable your abliity to switch to a HD TV output.

(you can always reinstall if you really need to)

Start/Run/ REGEDIT <enter>

Search for all instances of PlayOnMyTv and FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516. Delete the keys.

This worked for me. (at least when my tv is not hooked up)

!ove from the Heart, not of the World! It works, /hug.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hug:' />

[quote name='transmitac' date='Nov 23 2006, 04:34 AM']Ok, so all of a sudden one day my computer screen starts to flash on and off quite frenquently. So we take it to a tech to see what the issue is...he siad that the card was fine, and so were the drivers....recomends that I start fresh. So I reinstalled Windows, but didn't format the HD. That way i'd have all my program files...but loose all My Documents, and Have a fresh windows to work off of (note Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Was SP2 when problem began, before I reinstalled XP. Doesn't seem the Service Pack has anything to do with it.) OK. So I have the fresh version of xp on my comp, no drivers for my video card and few other things, but my screen doesn't mess up at all. Not even the slight shake and quick black line flash that I'm experiencing now.

[snapback]129256[/snapback]

Posted 01/06/2008 02:39 PM   
Scroll To Top