IZ3D - My Review! The Stereo Savior & Catalyst Is Here!
Hi Guys!

I'm surprised more people didn't post about this unit, but I managed to get my hands on an IZ3D Monitor.

Tremendous piece of technology - and I really think it could very well be the savior and catalyst for the stereoscopic community.

I'm sure you will all agree that there are four major setbacks to current solutions. They include low resolution, flicker, ghosting, and discomfort.

The current unit is a 17" LCD 2D/3D monitor that features polarizing technology.

It works by sandwiching two LCD screens on top of each other. Each screen emits light at a certain wavelength that your glasses separate for each eye, and the result is spectacular.

With traditional shutter glasses, the color gets warped by the dark lenses. This technique doesn't face that problem.

A huge benefit for this setup is the resolution - 1280 X 1024. What a difference compared to 1152 X 864!

It's sharp, the quality is much more pronounced, and very little color gets washed out.

This is a passive setup, and there is no flickering between frames, which means there are no more headache excuses!

Now the caveats:

1. 2D Screen

The first time I turned the monitor on, I knew something was different. The screen is completely readable, don't get me wrong. The resolution is there, the color is there, but it's a bit rough.

It almost has a sandy look to it.

However, that's understandable because light has to travel across an extra LCD panel before it hits your eyes.

If you use Photoshop for a living, this isn't the monitor for you. Web browsing, word processing, and anything else - you'll be fine.

The sandy finish completely disappears in 3D mode.

2. Ghosting

This is a very different experience compared to shutter glasses. It's a different kind of visual anomaly.

I discovered that the left eyed frame isn't as bright as the right eyed frame, and this creates a ghosting problem.

The good news is I found the solution, and I'm speaking with the IZ3D people to get it fixed. It's a simple tweak that makes a big difference. All you need to do is adjust the brightness of one LCD panel in relation to the other one. I was able to do it at the driver level.

I find the ghosting less distracting than it was with the shutter glasses. For example, when the screen shakes in Battlefield 2, it looks comparable to the 2D version, rather than a visual mess in 3D.

3. BSOD

This is a work in progress. For some reason the "Neurok Optics" option in the stereo driver is buggier than the LCD Shutter glasses option.

Most games run no problem, and I know solutions are in the works, so don't worry too much about this problem.

4. OpenGL

OpenGL doesn't work yet - BUT IT WILL, don't worry.

5. The Games I Tested

Battlefield 2 and Special Forces - AWESOME
Oblivion - AWESOME
Far Cry - AWESOME
Fear - Pretty Good
COD2 - AWESOME
Klingon Academy - Pretty Good

Doom 3 - OpenGL, TBD
Prey - OpenGL, TBD

Now the NEWS:

I can't go into too much detail, but I got some inside information that a 22" version of this monitor is going to be coming out in the next few months.

I really think the 17" release is an excellent proof of concept, and we should keep our eyes and ears out for the next big thing from IZ3D.

So, if you are holding off on an 8800 for stereo compatibility, this is another good purchase option in the meantime. At 1280 X 1024, this monitor is going to last you a long time.

Mind you, the above resolution is for the 17". The specs for the 22" aren't out yet.

I can say nothing more. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Regards,
Chopper
Hi Guys!

I'm surprised more people didn't post about this unit, but I managed to get my hands on an IZ3D Monitor.

Tremendous piece of technology - and I really think it could very well be the savior and catalyst for the stereoscopic community.

I'm sure you will all agree that there are four major setbacks to current solutions. They include low resolution, flicker, ghosting, and discomfort.

The current unit is a 17" LCD 2D/3D monitor that features polarizing technology.

It works by sandwiching two LCD screens on top of each other. Each screen emits light at a certain wavelength that your glasses separate for each eye, and the result is spectacular.

With traditional shutter glasses, the color gets warped by the dark lenses. This technique doesn't face that problem.

A huge benefit for this setup is the resolution - 1280 X 1024. What a difference compared to 1152 X 864!

It's sharp, the quality is much more pronounced, and very little color gets washed out.

This is a passive setup, and there is no flickering between frames, which means there are no more headache excuses!

Now the caveats:

1. 2D Screen

The first time I turned the monitor on, I knew something was different. The screen is completely readable, don't get me wrong. The resolution is there, the color is there, but it's a bit rough.

It almost has a sandy look to it.

However, that's understandable because light has to travel across an extra LCD panel before it hits your eyes.

If you use Photoshop for a living, this isn't the monitor for you. Web browsing, word processing, and anything else - you'll be fine.

The sandy finish completely disappears in 3D mode.

2. Ghosting

This is a very different experience compared to shutter glasses. It's a different kind of visual anomaly.

I discovered that the left eyed frame isn't as bright as the right eyed frame, and this creates a ghosting problem.

The good news is I found the solution, and I'm speaking with the IZ3D people to get it fixed. It's a simple tweak that makes a big difference. All you need to do is adjust the brightness of one LCD panel in relation to the other one. I was able to do it at the driver level.

I find the ghosting less distracting than it was with the shutter glasses. For example, when the screen shakes in Battlefield 2, it looks comparable to the 2D version, rather than a visual mess in 3D.

3. BSOD

This is a work in progress. For some reason the "Neurok Optics" option in the stereo driver is buggier than the LCD Shutter glasses option.

Most games run no problem, and I know solutions are in the works, so don't worry too much about this problem.

4. OpenGL

OpenGL doesn't work yet - BUT IT WILL, don't worry.

5. The Games I Tested

Battlefield 2 and Special Forces - AWESOME

Oblivion - AWESOME

Far Cry - AWESOME

Fear - Pretty Good

COD2 - AWESOME

Klingon Academy - Pretty Good

Doom 3 - OpenGL, TBD

Prey - OpenGL, TBD

Now the NEWS:

I can't go into too much detail, but I got some inside information that a 22" version of this monitor is going to be coming out in the next few months.

I really think the 17" release is an excellent proof of concept, and we should keep our eyes and ears out for the next big thing from IZ3D.

So, if you are holding off on an 8800 for stereo compatibility, this is another good purchase option in the meantime. At 1280 X 1024, this monitor is going to last you a long time.

Mind you, the above resolution is for the 17". The specs for the 22" aren't out yet.

I can say nothing more. /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Regards,

Chopper

Posted 11/18/2006 03:58 AM   
This monitor doesn't need glasses of any kind to get a stereo effect?
Also, have you tested inbox and outbox separation? Is it even posible to change those two or is it fixed to only one kind of separation (and which one)? Does the popout effect look good?
This monitor doesn't need glasses of any kind to get a stereo effect?

Also, have you tested inbox and outbox separation? Is it even posible to change those two or is it fixed to only one kind of separation (and which one)? Does the popout effect look good?

Posted 11/20/2006 08:42 AM   
Sounds real good! (and a bit expensive) :)
Sounds real good! (and a bit expensive) :)

Posted 11/20/2006 02:55 PM   
[quote name='gesaugen' date='Nov 20 2006, 04:42 AM']This monitor doesn't need glasses of any kind to get a stereo effect?
[right][post="128380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It comes with polarized glasses. The big benefit here is NO WIRES OR BATTERIES.

You can also have more than one person looking at the screen at once.

The pop-out is still good, and it the stereo settings are the same as you would have with the goggles. It uses the NVIDIA stereo drivers like everything else.

Regards,
Chopper :magic:
[quote name='gesaugen' date='Nov 20 2006, 04:42 AM']This monitor doesn't need glasses of any kind to get a stereo effect?

[post="128380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It comes with polarized glasses. The big benefit here is NO WIRES OR BATTERIES.

You can also have more than one person looking at the screen at once.

The pop-out is still good, and it the stereo settings are the same as you would have with the goggles. It uses the NVIDIA stereo drivers like everything else.

Regards,

Posted 11/21/2006 03:52 AM   
Sounds interesting, However, Can you see windowed applications in 3d? Like Max or XSI, thats why I got my shutter glasses and than bam, no windowed modes :( I wouldn't be able to take being let down again :( :blink:
Sounds interesting, However, Can you see windowed applications in 3d? Like Max or XSI, thats why I got my shutter glasses and than bam, no windowed modes :( I wouldn't be able to take being let down again :( :blink:

Posted 11/21/2006 10:08 AM   
The IZ3D is a hardware solution - not a software solution.

So, whatever you can do with shutterglasses, you can do with this monitor.

Regards,
The IZ3D is a hardware solution - not a software solution.

So, whatever you can do with shutterglasses, you can do with this monitor.

Regards,

Posted 11/21/2006 08:14 PM   
Thanks Chopper, now I must choose this or a z800.
Thanks Chopper, now I must choose this or a z800.

Posted 12/02/2006 10:00 PM   
Scroll To Top