nForce 4 + SATA hot plug How to?
I want to use the SATA hot plug feature with my nForce 4 Mainboard. It's a MSI Neo4 Platinum (nForce 4 Ultra chipset), the OS is Windows 2000 SP 4 and nForce driver 6.86. The HD is a Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS. I have an external case for the HD that has independent power supply and is connected via SATA to the PC. If I power up the case before booting the PC everything is fine. If I start the PC and switch on the case later, the HD is not detected. The System-process uses 100% CPU for about 10 min, but it does not find the HD.

If I start the PC with the external HD already on, I can remove the HD (Unplug or Eject Hardware-Icon), turn it off, wait, turn it on again and it will be detected without any problems - the HD will be detected instantly.

How can I have this HD detected without the HD beeing online on startup?
I want to use the SATA hot plug feature with my nForce 4 Mainboard. It's a MSI Neo4 Platinum (nForce 4 Ultra chipset), the OS is Windows 2000 SP 4 and nForce driver 6.86. The HD is a Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS. I have an external case for the HD that has independent power supply and is connected via SATA to the PC. If I power up the case before booting the PC everything is fine. If I start the PC and switch on the case later, the HD is not detected. The System-process uses 100% CPU for about 10 min, but it does not find the HD.

If I start the PC with the external HD already on, I can remove the HD (Unplug or Eject Hardware-Icon), turn it off, wait, turn it on again and it will be detected without any problems - the HD will be detected instantly.

How can I have this HD detected without the HD beeing online on startup?

Posted 10/20/2006 10:23 PM   
Have you tried a Scan for Hardware Changes from Device manager. Also give the drive a letter which is well outside the range of your system drives, e.g. X:.
Have you tried a Scan for Hardware Changes from Device manager. Also give the drive a letter which is well outside the range of your system drives, e.g. X:.

Posted 10/21/2006 12:52 AM   
Yes, I tried scanning for new Hardware. The PC was not responding anymore load for several minutes (100% CPU load), so I gave up and did a reset.

The HD has no drive letters assigned, so conflicts schould not be an issue. The partitions on the HD are crypted with TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/). TrueCrypt assigns a drive letter when mounting the partition.

Like I've written above, detecting the HD is not a problem, if it is online during the start of windows, shutting it down and turning it on later. It seems to me, that windows somehow remembers that the drive was present but forgets this info between restarts.
Yes, I tried scanning for new Hardware. The PC was not responding anymore load for several minutes (100% CPU load), so I gave up and did a reset.

The HD has no drive letters assigned, so conflicts schould not be an issue. The partitions on the HD are crypted with TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/). TrueCrypt assigns a drive letter when mounting the partition.

Like I've written above, detecting the HD is not a problem, if it is online during the start of windows, shutting it down and turning it on later. It seems to me, that windows somehow remembers that the drive was present but forgets this info between restarts.

Posted 10/21/2006 08:44 AM   
I did some research in the windows registry file and it seems that windows leaves the device information in the registry, if the hardware (i.e. HD) was removed. After restarting windows this info is missing an windows cannot detect the device.
I did some research in the windows registry file and it seems that windows leaves the device information in the registry, if the hardware (i.e. HD) was removed. After restarting windows this info is missing an windows cannot detect the device.

Posted 10/21/2006 11:45 AM   
Problem solved!

The latest (v. 6.66) SATA IDE drivers are not working properly. I installed v. 5.52 and the detection is working now.
Problem solved!

The latest (v. 6.66) SATA IDE drivers are not working properly. I installed v. 5.52 and the detection is working now.

Posted 10/21/2006 11:40 PM   
Oh dear, something else which is broken about the 6.86 driver pack. To anyone else reading this, you must [b]not[/b] use the 6.86 nForce4 driver pack for a fresh install - it does not hook up the PATA Controller to the nForce driver, leaving it with the Microsoft driver, while the SATA is connected through the nForce driver. It also leaves an "unknown device" in Device Manager.

If only there was a way to report this crap to nVidia... but as it stands this will probably never get fixed.
Oh dear, something else which is broken about the 6.86 driver pack. To anyone else reading this, you must not use the 6.86 nForce4 driver pack for a fresh install - it does not hook up the PATA Controller to the nForce driver, leaving it with the Microsoft driver, while the SATA is connected through the nForce driver. It also leaves an "unknown device" in Device Manager.

If only there was a way to report this crap to nVidia... but as it stands this will probably never get fixed.

Posted 10/22/2006 12:30 AM   
It seems that 6.86 was working a bit better on my PC. I had no unknown devices left after installation. PATA was using the MS driver, though.
It seems that 6.86 was working a bit better on my PC. I had no unknown devices left after installation. PATA was using the MS driver, though.

Posted 10/22/2006 08:31 AM   
Scroll To Top