Windows XP fails install A8N-SLI Premium and A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Over the past week I have been trying to install Windows XP Professional on a new PC. The setup goes fine until it begins copying files from the installation CD to the hard drive. About around 44% to 55% completion, it posts the following error:

The file (some random file) was not copied correctly.
-To retry, press Enter.
-To skip this file, press Esc.
-To quit Setup, press F3.

Retry will work on a few of the files, but I have to mostly skip them.

The PC's current specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
XFX 6800GS x2 SLI
2 GB DDR Ram
WD 36GB Raptor Hard drive (sata1)
Seagate 160GB Hard drive (sata1)
Sony DVD-ROM Drive
Antec 550w PSU
Razer USB Mouse
Standard PS2 Keyboard

I tried using an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with this setup but WinXP would fail installation in the same way as the A8N32-SLI would.

I tried using additional sata drivers during install, trying both the nvidia and silicon image drivers on the A8N32 support cd (version 166.03).

Other then the 2 video cards, there are no other cards installed in this PC.

I tried an AMD Athlon 64 3700 on these motherboards with the same results.

I am only trying to install to a single hard drive, no raiding or anything.

I tried switching out various sata and ide cables.

The installation cd is not a copy.

I updated the BIOS on both motherboards to their newest versions.

Windows Setup and BIOS successfully detect all of the connected hard drives.

I also checked my hard drives, dvd drive, ram, and Windows cd by successfully installing WinXP using both an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an ASRock Dual Series motherboards. So I don't think that they are the problem.

Thanks for reading my post,
-Tim
Over the past week I have been trying to install Windows XP Professional on a new PC. The setup goes fine until it begins copying files from the installation CD to the hard drive. About around 44% to 55% completion, it posts the following error:

The file (some random file) was not copied correctly.

-To retry, press Enter.

-To skip this file, press Esc.

-To quit Setup, press F3.

Retry will work on a few of the files, but I have to mostly skip them.

The PC's current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

XFX 6800GS x2 SLI

2 GB DDR Ram

WD 36GB Raptor Hard drive (sata1)

Seagate 160GB Hard drive (sata1)

Sony DVD-ROM Drive

Antec 550w PSU

Razer USB Mouse

Standard PS2 Keyboard

I tried using an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with this setup but WinXP would fail installation in the same way as the A8N32-SLI would.

I tried using additional sata drivers during install, trying both the nvidia and silicon image drivers on the A8N32 support cd (version 166.03).

Other then the 2 video cards, there are no other cards installed in this PC.

I tried an AMD Athlon 64 3700 on these motherboards with the same results.

I am only trying to install to a single hard drive, no raiding or anything.

I tried switching out various sata and ide cables.

The installation cd is not a copy.

I updated the BIOS on both motherboards to their newest versions.

Windows Setup and BIOS successfully detect all of the connected hard drives.

I also checked my hard drives, dvd drive, ram, and Windows cd by successfully installing WinXP using both an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an ASRock Dual Series motherboards. So I don't think that they are the problem.

Thanks for reading my post,

-Tim

Posted 09/10/2006 03:23 AM   
Try the installation with just one stick of RAM. Several times I've started an XP install on customers PC's to be stopped by this error. When I know that the drives and cables are clean I usually end up switching the RAM stick or just removing all but one if there are multiple. Also, the memory that I took out almost always passes a 12 hour memtest session, so I'm not entirely sure what's up.
Try the installation with just one stick of RAM. Several times I've started an XP install on customers PC's to be stopped by this error. When I know that the drives and cables are clean I usually end up switching the RAM stick or just removing all but one if there are multiple. Also, the memory that I took out almost always passes a 12 hour memtest session, so I'm not entirely sure what's up.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P
GPU: EVGA 8800 gts
RAM: 2x2GB dual channel Corsair PC2-800
Hard drives: 1 500GB SATAII Seagate Barracuda, 2x250gb SATAII Seagate Barracudas, 300gb SATA Maxtor
PSU: Ultra X-3 Connect 800 watt
Monitor: 19 inch 8ms Samsung 915N
Keyboard: Logitech G15, Wolf King gaming pad
Mouse: Logitech G5 laser

Posted 09/10/2006 03:39 AM   
[quote name='Armadel' date='Sep 9 2006, 07:39 PM']Try the installation with just one stick of RAM.
[right][post="112807"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Tried that and moving it to the other channels with the same error.
-Tim
[quote name='Armadel' date='Sep 9 2006, 07:39 PM']Try the installation with just one stick of RAM.

[post="112807"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Tried that and moving it to the other channels with the same error.

-Tim

Posted 09/10/2006 04:14 AM   
Have you tried installing with only one video card installed?
Have you tried installing with only one video card installed?

Hard drives: 1 500GB SATAII Seagate Barracuda, 2x250gb SATAII Seagate Barracudas, 300gb SATA Maxtor

Posted 09/10/2006 04:20 AM   
Just tried it, still a no go.

I wonder if this is more of an nForce 4 thing. The ASRock motherboard that I refered to earlier worked without any issues with the same components. It uses ULi 1695 as its chipset instead and here I have two motherboards with simular nForce 4 series chipsets with WinXP install issues.

-Tim
Just tried it, still a no go.

I wonder if this is more of an nForce 4 thing. The ASRock motherboard that I refered to earlier worked without any issues with the same components. It uses ULi 1695 as its chipset instead and here I have two motherboards with simular nForce 4 series chipsets with WinXP install issues.

-Tim

Posted 09/10/2006 05:03 AM   
Very strange, I've installed similar hardware, excluding the raptor, a dozen times without that kind of problem. Even my current rig uses an a8n sli premium board, and I regularly change in and out processors, RAM, hard drives and the occasional video card or 2 for testing purposes. I'll have to find someone with a couple GS's I can swipe for a minute to see if I can make this happen.
Very strange, I've installed similar hardware, excluding the raptor, a dozen times without that kind of problem. Even my current rig uses an a8n sli premium board, and I regularly change in and out processors, RAM, hard drives and the occasional video card or 2 for testing purposes. I'll have to find someone with a couple GS's I can swipe for a minute to see if I can make this happen.

Posted 09/10/2006 07:09 AM   
I have had the problem with errors in the past,i get around this by making a second copy of my cd,with alcohol,and when i get to the error on install,i switch to the back up copy,always worked for me,give it a try,if it dont work e-mail me i will help futher
I have had the problem with errors in the past,i get around this by making a second copy of my cd,with alcohol,and when i get to the error on install,i switch to the back up copy,always worked for me,give it a try,if it dont work e-mail me i will help futher

Posted 09/10/2006 07:40 AM   
[quote name='gerardfraser' date='Sep 9 2006, 11:40 PM']I have had the problem with errors in the past,i get around this by making a second copy of my cd,with alcohol,and when i get to the error on install,i switch to the back up copy,always worked for me,give it a try,if it dont work e-mail me i will help futher
[right][post="112834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That did allow me to get further along (about 73%) untill it could not copy files from any of the 3 cds I was using (my origional and copy, and friends origional). I even went as far as trying an install of Windows 2003 Server and it fails as well during file transfer.

-Tim
[quote name='gerardfraser' date='Sep 9 2006, 11:40 PM']I have had the problem with errors in the past,i get around this by making a second copy of my cd,with alcohol,and when i get to the error on install,i switch to the back up copy,always worked for me,give it a try,if it dont work e-mail me i will help futher

[post="112834"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That did allow me to get further along (about 73%) untill it could not copy files from any of the 3 cds I was using (my origional and copy, and friends origional). I even went as far as trying an install of Windows 2003 Server and it fails as well during file transfer.

-Tim

Posted 09/10/2006 08:02 AM   
[quote name='logic_deceiver' date='Sep 10 2006, 09:02 AM']That did allow me to get further along (about 73%) untill it could not copy files from any of the 3 cds I was using (my origional and copy, and friends origional). I even went as far as trying an install of Windows 2003 Server and it fails as well during file transfer.

-Tim
[right][post="112837"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Armadel got the point with his first reply.
I guess it's a RAM stick fault or not compatible with the board, too.

Read the QVL at Asus site.
[quote name='logic_deceiver' date='Sep 10 2006, 09:02 AM']That did allow me to get further along (about 73%) untill it could not copy files from any of the 3 cds I was using (my origional and copy, and friends origional). I even went as far as trying an install of Windows 2003 Server and it fails as well during file transfer.

-Tim

[post="112837"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Armadel got the point with his first reply.

I guess it's a RAM stick fault or not compatible with the board, too.

Read the QVL at Asus site.

Hodie mihi, cras tibi

Posted 09/11/2006 09:03 AM   
Try running memtest

[url="http://www.memtest.org/"]http://www.memtest.org/[/url]
Try running memtest

http://www.memtest.org/

Posted 09/11/2006 10:21 AM   
Agree with others this is likely a memory problem/incompatibility. I had the same problems with some Kingmax memory - it would run Memtest86+ for hours with no errors at 1T but errored on copying install files. The install went fine with 2T then after I finished install I tried Prime95 with 1T again - failed within a couple of minutes.

If you get errors during the installation like that there's no point in continuing - the install is bollixed anyway. If you get the errors with 2T, try backing off on other memory timing or even the clock speed.
Agree with others this is likely a memory problem/incompatibility. I had the same problems with some Kingmax memory - it would run Memtest86+ for hours with no errors at 1T but errored on copying install files. The install went fine with 2T then after I finished install I tried Prime95 with 1T again - failed within a couple of minutes.

If you get errors during the installation like that there's no point in continuing - the install is bollixed anyway. If you get the errors with 2T, try backing off on other memory timing or even the clock speed.

Posted 09/12/2006 12:21 AM   
[quote name='logic_deceiver' date='Sep 10 2006, 12:03 AM']Just tried it, still a no go.

-Tim
[right][post="112818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have same problem like you with m2n-e and raptor. Install always failed after 1st reboot. With or without drivers. Finally I put cheep pci sata raid card, connect raptor and it works fine. I think it's raptor. nForce drivers doesn't know how to use WD raptor... I'm still looking for help.
[quote name='logic_deceiver' date='Sep 10 2006, 12:03 AM']Just tried it, still a no go.

-Tim

[post="112818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have same problem like you with m2n-e and raptor. Install always failed after 1st reboot. With or without drivers. Finally I put cheep pci sata raid card, connect raptor and it works fine. I think it's raptor. nForce drivers doesn't know how to use WD raptor... I'm still looking for help.

Posted 09/12/2006 01:46 AM   
Success! It was the RAM, pulled a stick from my A7N8X-E system and it WinXP installed like a champ. I guess ASUS's QVL list that came with the board is there for a reason . . . lol.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your great help!
Success! It was the RAM, pulled a stick from my A7N8X-E system and it WinXP installed like a champ. I guess ASUS's QVL list that came with the board is there for a reason . . . lol.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your great help!

Posted 09/12/2006 02:41 AM   
Scroll To Top