How to correctly remove graphics card drivers.
  1 / 3    
[u][b]How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.[/b][/u]

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly. This isn’t always the solution, but its certainly the first step to take in finding the solution. Also, I thought it would be useful to have a general guide on how to do it properly.

In order for new video card drivers to work correctly, you must first make sure that all old drivers for the video card are removed, as the old ones can conflict with the new ones, giving various errors when trying to run games ect.

Firstly, remove old drivers by navigating to device manager, and select display adapters, double click on your graphics card, select the driver tab, and select uninstall for your video card driver.

Download and install driver cleaner pro [url="http://www.download3k.com/Install-Driver-Cleaner-Professional.html"]Here[/url]

Once installed, reboot your computer and start in safe mode, run driver cleaner and select ‘Nvidia’ from the drop down list to be cleaned. This will remove all remaining parts of the old driver. It should be run in safe mode as this has the best results.

Once cleaned, restart the computer. Install the new driver.

If anyone thinks I have missed anything, and would like to add something, please do :)

Bolter2

[i]Edit: given new link for driver cleaner[/i]
How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly. This isn’t always the solution, but its certainly the first step to take in finding the solution. Also, I thought it would be useful to have a general guide on how to do it properly.

In order for new video card drivers to work correctly, you must first make sure that all old drivers for the video card are removed, as the old ones can conflict with the new ones, giving various errors when trying to run games ect.

Firstly, remove old drivers by navigating to device manager, and select display adapters, double click on your graphics card, select the driver tab, and select uninstall for your video card driver.

Download and install driver cleaner pro Here

Once installed, reboot your computer and start in safe mode, run driver cleaner and select ‘Nvidia’ from the drop down list to be cleaned. This will remove all remaining parts of the old driver. It should be run in safe mode as this has the best results.

Once cleaned, restart the computer. Install the new driver.

If anyone thinks I have missed anything, and would like to add something, please do :)

Bolter2

Edit: given new link for driver cleaner

Posted 07/04/2006 02:44 PM   
[quote name='Bolter2' date='Jul 4 2006, 06:44 AM']How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly.  This isn’t always the solution, but its certainly the first step to take in finding the solution.  Also, I thought it would be useful to have a general guide on how to do it properly.

Firstly, remove old drivers by navigating to device manager, and select display adapters, double click on your graphics card, select the driver tab,  and select uninstall for your video card driver. 

Download and install driver cleaner pro [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html"]Here[/url]
Once installed, select ‘Nvidia’ from the drop down list to be cleaned.  This will remove all remaining parts of the old driver.

Once cleaned, restart the computer.  Install the new driver.

I also think this could be made a sticky, considering the ‘moderator’ thinks it is a good idea, as it can be linked back to in other threads. 

Bolter2
[right][post="99477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It should be noted that Driver Cleaner should be run in Safe Mode for optimal results. Otherwise, a quick, accurate guide here.
[quote name='Bolter2' date='Jul 4 2006, 06:44 AM']How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly.  This isn’t always the solution, but its certainly the first step to take in finding the solution.  Also, I thought it would be useful to have a general guide on how to do it properly.

Firstly, remove old drivers by navigating to device manager, and select display adapters, double click on your graphics card, select the driver tab,  and select uninstall for your video card driver. 

Download and install driver cleaner pro Here

Once installed, select ‘Nvidia’ from the drop down list to be cleaned.  This will remove all remaining parts of the old driver.

Once cleaned, restart the computer.  Install the new driver.

I also think this could be made a sticky, considering the ‘moderator’ thinks it is a good idea, as it can be linked back to in other threads. 

Bolter2

[post="99477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It should be noted that Driver Cleaner should be run in Safe Mode for optimal results. Otherwise, a quick, accurate guide here.

Posted 07/04/2006 04:03 PM   
[quote name='Ronin' date='Jul 4 2006, 04:03 PM']It should be noted that Driver Cleaner should be run in Safe Mode for optimal results.  Otherwise, a quick, accurate guide here.
[right][post="99489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
thanks ronin :) post edited to give correct info.
[quote name='Ronin' date='Jul 4 2006, 04:03 PM']It should be noted that Driver Cleaner should be run in Safe Mode for optimal results.  Otherwise, a quick, accurate guide here.

[post="99489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

thanks ronin :) post edited to give correct info.

Posted 07/04/2006 04:06 PM   
Is this still needed with the "new" NVIDIA Uninstaller in 97.02? (I don't really know what I'm talking about because I've used ATI cards the past couple of years :) ).
Is this still needed with the "new" NVIDIA Uninstaller in 97.02? (I don't really know what I'm talking about because I've used ATI cards the past couple of years :) ).

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 (nVIDIA nF4 AMD drivers 6.70)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ default clocks
GPU: nVIDIA 7800GTX 256MB @ default clocks
MEM: 2x1GB Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 @ default clocks
DVDRW: Plextor PX-716SA
HDD: Maxtor 2x300GB, 16MB cache, SATA
PSU: Tagan EasyCon 480W
CASE: Lian Li PC-V1000

Posted 11/30/2006 09:16 PM   
i have integrated ATI graphics right now but im going to buy an 7600GT OC for it soon and i was wondering if i do the same thing you listed above would the 7600GT work in my pc
i have integrated ATI graphics right now but im going to buy an 7600GT OC for it soon and i was wondering if i do the same thing you listed above would the 7600GT work in my pc

Posted 12/31/2006 05:04 PM   
They've removed the free Driver Cleaner Pro and replaced it with Driver Cleaner.NET which doesn't even have a trial version. It can be downloaded only after being paid for. Anyway, the original Driver Cleaner can be found [url="http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Driver-Cleaner-Professional-Download-20706.html"]here[/url].
They've removed the free Driver Cleaner Pro and replaced it with Driver Cleaner.NET which doesn't even have a trial version. It can be downloaded only after being paid for. Anyway, the original Driver Cleaner can be found here.

Posted 01/21/2007 06:24 PM   
Sorry for being so blunt, but...

[b]THIS IS RUBBISH![/b]

There's no need for a third party tool to remove a driver. It's potentially dangerous. Many people ended up with a completely screwed Windows installation because of that.

Please stop spreading this misinformation.

THIS IS RUBBISH!

There's no need for a third party tool to remove a driver. It's potentially dangerous. Many people ended up with a completely screwed Windows installation because of that.

Please stop spreading this misinformation.

Posted 01/22/2007 10:26 AM   
[quote] Sorry for being so blunt, but... [/quote]

I've been using it for years without a problem, when I switched from ATI to NVIDIA, the ATI uninstall program was not enough. The forceware installed OK but all games crashed until I ran driver cleaner to purge left over ATI files. I think most folks that get into trouble with drivercleaner have either an Nforce or ATI chipsets. It would be a good idea for those folks to be prepared to reload the chipset driver as well. I agree under normal situations when your just updating to a new driver, just run the uninstall and install the new forceware. If you get into trouble or games are crashing give drivercleaner a try. As far as people screwing up their windows installation, I can't even see how that's possible.

I've been using it for years without a problem, when I switched from ATI to NVIDIA, the ATI uninstall program was not enough. The forceware installed OK but all games crashed until I ran driver cleaner to purge left over ATI files. I think most folks that get into trouble with drivercleaner have either an Nforce or ATI chipsets. It would be a good idea for those folks to be prepared to reload the chipset driver as well. I agree under normal situations when your just updating to a new driver, just run the uninstall and install the new forceware. If you get into trouble or games are crashing give drivercleaner a try. As far as people screwing up their windows installation, I can't even see how that's possible.

Posted 01/22/2007 12:34 PM   
[quote name='ohgrant' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:34 PM']I've been using it for years without a problem, when I switched from ATI to NVIDIA, the ATI uninstall program was not enough. The forceware installed OK but all games crashed until I ran driver cleaner to purge left over ATI files. I think most folks that get into trouble with drivercleaner have either an Nforce or ATI chipsets. It would be a good idea for those folks to be prepared to reload the chipset driver as well. I agree under normal situations when your just updating to a new driver, just run the uninstall and install the new forceware. If you get into trouble or games are crashing give drivercleaner a try. As far as people screwing up their windows installation, I can't even see how that's possible.
[right][snapback]148999[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i only used it once and it hosed my system.

i also HATE, how it removes all drivers without so much as a list like menu, so you can choose what you want to remove (after it searches the drive...)

i keep all of my modded infs and apps in an nvidia folder and using DC Pro removes that folder without so much as a prompt

You all my say that DC Pro is needed, but you are all fools for thinking so. i've been using Detonators and Forceware... almost nearly every version... and i've never had a problem where Add/remove, uninstall hasn't fixed things.

DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY.

its not needed at all, in any case, and i will stand here as Evidence of that,
[quote name='ohgrant' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:34 PM']I've been using it for years without a problem, when I switched from ATI to NVIDIA, the ATI uninstall program was not enough. The forceware installed OK but all games crashed until I ran driver cleaner to purge left over ATI files. I think most folks that get into trouble with drivercleaner have either an Nforce or ATI chipsets. It would be a good idea for those folks to be prepared to reload the chipset driver as well. I agree under normal situations when your just updating to a new driver, just run the uninstall and install the new forceware. If you get into trouble or games are crashing give drivercleaner a try. As far as people screwing up their windows installation, I can't even see how that's possible.

[snapback]148999[/snapback]

i only used it once and it hosed my system.

i also HATE, how it removes all drivers without so much as a list like menu, so you can choose what you want to remove (after it searches the drive...)

i keep all of my modded infs and apps in an nvidia folder and using DC Pro removes that folder without so much as a prompt

You all my say that DC Pro is needed, but you are all fools for thinking so. i've been using Detonators and Forceware... almost nearly every version... and i've never had a problem where Add/remove, uninstall hasn't fixed things.

DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY.

Posted 01/23/2007 11:06 AM   
[quote] DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY. [/quote]

I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have never needed it for forceware drivers but in the past, the NVIDIA consumer 3D driver didn't always uninstall correctly. They now have an option to uninstall the 3D driver at the same time as the forceware. I still need it for my ATI HDTV wonder though. I love the card but every other month or so I need to reload the software, if I don't purge the ATI software with drivercleaner, or NFR I get no record button when I reinstall. I also keep my old drivers on my PC in a folder on my backup drive. They do not get purged.

[quote] You all my say that DC Pro is needed, but you are all fools for thinking so. [/quote]

/thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> You have alot to offer lad, for the life of me, I can't understand why you feel the need to insult everyone you have a difference of opinion with. It would be great if you could calm down a little so those of us who enjoy reading your posts, when you're not insulting everyone, can enjoy them for a while to come.
DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY.

I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have never needed it for forceware drivers but in the past, the NVIDIA consumer 3D driver didn't always uninstall correctly. They now have an option to uninstall the 3D driver at the same time as the forceware. I still need it for my ATI HDTV wonder though. I love the card but every other month or so I need to reload the software, if I don't purge the ATI software with drivercleaner, or NFR I get no record button when I reinstall. I also keep my old drivers on my PC in a folder on my backup drive. They do not get purged.

You all my say that DC Pro is needed, but you are all fools for thinking so.

/thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' /> You have alot to offer lad, for the life of me, I can't understand why you feel the need to insult everyone you have a difference of opinion with. It would be great if you could calm down a little so those of us who enjoy reading your posts, when you're not insulting everyone, can enjoy them for a while to come.

Posted 01/23/2007 11:21 PM   
[quote name='ohgrant' date='Jan 24 2007, 01:21 AM']I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have never needed it for forceware drivers but in the past, the NVIDIA consumer 3D driver didn't always uninstall correctly. They  now have an option to uninstall the 3D driver at the same time as the forceware. I still need it for my ATI HDTV wonder though. I love the card but every other month or so I need to reload the software, if I don't purge the ATI software with drivercleaner, or NFR I get no record button when I reinstall. I also keep my old drivers on my PC in a folder on my backup drive. They do not get purged.
[right][snapback]149583[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're right about ancient Detonator drivers, I don't dispute that. But if you're also correct about the ATI drivers (I haven't experienced that, but I don't use that many ATI cards myself) then this would be a major embarrasment for ATI.

Testing your uninstaller is the most basic (and one of the easiest) things to do.
[quote name='ohgrant' date='Jan 24 2007, 01:21 AM']I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have never needed it for forceware drivers but in the past, the NVIDIA consumer 3D driver didn't always uninstall correctly. They  now have an option to uninstall the 3D driver at the same time as the forceware. I still need it for my ATI HDTV wonder though. I love the card but every other month or so I need to reload the software, if I don't purge the ATI software with drivercleaner, or NFR I get no record button when I reinstall. I also keep my old drivers on my PC in a folder on my backup drive. They do not get purged.

[snapback]149583[/snapback]

You're right about ancient Detonator drivers, I don't dispute that. But if you're also correct about the ATI drivers (I haven't experienced that, but I don't use that many ATI cards myself) then this would be a major embarrasment for ATI.

Testing your uninstaller is the most basic (and one of the easiest) things to do.

Posted 01/24/2007 06:58 AM   
[quote name='Bolter2' date='Jul 4 2006, 07:44 AM'][u][b]How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.[/b][/u]

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly.
Bolter2
[right][snapback]99477[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I used the folowing procedure to solve a blank screen problem caused by the 9x Nvidia drivers on my SLI 7600GT cards set-up. The procedure is valid for removing and replacing other drivers.

THOROUGHLY remove all NVIDIA 9.x Drivers .

DOWNLOAD Nvidia's 84.21 Driver but do not install until you have run a driver clelaner such as Driver Cleaner Pro. You can download Driver Cleaner Pro on a trial basis and proceed exactly as described here:

RUN DRIVER CLEANER PRO / [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net"]http://www.drivercleaner.net[/url]

1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect

2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs

3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)

4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...

5. Navigate to device manager->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot

6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)

7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)

8. Run driver cleaner pro:

a) Select multiple filters;

B) Highlight and add every instance or reference to the old
drivers.
[i]The program considers nvidia graphics and chipset drivers as separate entities and the chipset drivers will be labeled as nforce, so no worries there.[/i]

c) Also highlight things like "ATI Hydravision" or ATI WDM.

[i]As DC Pro works, sit back in amazement at all thing things it catches.[/i]

9. Empty recycle bin and reboot

10. Install the new drivers (Make sure your Anti-Virus software is still disabled while you install your new drivers.)

11. Reconnect your nic card or modem.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WIFI NVIDIA NForce 590 SLI
AMD ATHLON 64X2 4200+
Dual Core Processor 2.2G
DDR2 800 - Full dual PCIEx16 Graphics
2 HD Seagate SATA200G 7200
CORSAIR XMS2 1 Gb DDR2 Twin2X 800Mhz
ANTEC 650watt ATX P4 12v. EPS 12v.
[quote name='Bolter2' date='Jul 4 2006, 07:44 AM']How To Correctly Remove Video Card Drivers.

It seems a lot of people on the forums are getting error messages which can simply be solved by making sure old drivers are removed correctly.

Bolter2

[snapback]99477[/snapback]

I used the folowing procedure to solve a blank screen problem caused by the 9x Nvidia drivers on my SLI 7600GT cards set-up. The procedure is valid for removing and replacing other drivers.

THOROUGHLY remove all NVIDIA 9.x Drivers .

DOWNLOAD Nvidia's 84.21 Driver but do not install until you have run a driver clelaner such as Driver Cleaner Pro. You can download Driver Cleaner Pro on a trial basis and proceed exactly as described here:

RUN DRIVER CLEANER PRO / http://www.drivercleaner.net

1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect

2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs

3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)

4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...

5. Navigate to device manager->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot

6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)

7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)

8. Run driver cleaner pro:

a) Select multiple filters;

B) Highlight and add every instance or reference to the old

drivers.

The program considers nvidia graphics and chipset drivers as separate entities and the chipset drivers will be labeled as nforce, so no worries there.

c) Also highlight things like "ATI Hydravision" or ATI WDM.

As DC Pro works, sit back in amazement at all thing things it catches.

9. Empty recycle bin and reboot

10. Install the new drivers (Make sure your Anti-Virus software is still disabled while you install your new drivers.)

11. Reconnect your nic card or modem.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WIFI NVIDIA NForce 590 SLI

AMD ATHLON 64X2 4200+

Dual Core Processor 2.2G

DDR2 800 - Full dual PCIEx16 Graphics

2 HD Seagate SATA200G 7200

CORSAIR XMS2 1 Gb DDR2 Twin2X 800Mhz

ANTEC 650watt ATX P4 12v. EPS 12v.

Posted 01/28/2007 04:22 PM   
[quote name='Grestorn' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:26 AM']no need for a third party tool[right][snapback]148975[/snapback][/right][/quote]
yes it can be *dangerous* :(

[color=gray]ps. why advertise a tool whose author(s) went greedy..[/color]
[quote name='Grestorn' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:26 AM']no need for a third party tool
[snapback]148975[/snapback]

yes it can be *dangerous* :(

ps. why advertise a tool whose author(s) went greedy..

[sup]MSI P67S-C43 / Intel i5-2400 / DDR3 2x2GB 1600MHz / GeForce GTS450 Palit / WD 1TB SATA6 64MB / Win7 Pro/64 SP1[/sup]

Posted 05/14/2007 12:38 AM   
[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Jan 23 2007, 06:06 AM']i only used it once and it hosed my system.

DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY.

[right][snapback]149366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree there are risks, but I have had uninstalls recently that just didn't go right. Recently I tried Nasty File Remover and it does give you a complete list of files from which you have the option of deleting or better yet you can move them to the recycle bin (and restore them if you have problems).

I don't have an Nvidia MB, but I would imagine you should be extra careful when using these tools if you do.
[quote name='squall_leonhart' date='Jan 23 2007, 06:06 AM']i only used it once and it hosed my system.

DC Pro, is UNNECESSARY.

[snapback]149366[/snapback]

I agree there are risks, but I have had uninstalls recently that just didn't go right. Recently I tried Nasty File Remover and it does give you a complete list of files from which you have the option of deleting or better yet you can move them to the recycle bin (and restore them if you have problems).

I don't have an Nvidia MB, but I would imagine you should be extra careful when using these tools if you do.

Posted 05/14/2007 02:50 AM   
Even the older "free" Driver Cleaner Pro versions are disappearing.

Have to side with that you shouldn't have to pay for another program to remove the nvidia driver to begin with.

Nvidia should provide (or have built in) a working method to start with.
Even if you do have to boot into safe mode to do it.
Even the older "free" Driver Cleaner Pro versions are disappearing.

Have to side with that you shouldn't have to pay for another program to remove the nvidia driver to begin with.

Nvidia should provide (or have built in) a working method to start with.

Even if you do have to boot into safe mode to do it.

Posted 05/14/2007 06:40 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top