60 hertz or 75 hertz?
which is best on my moniter 60 or 75 hertz. when i put it on 75 my eyes feel like they are aching, is this because there not use to it? is there any medical issues i should be aware of ? or does it not make that much difference...cheers
which is best on my moniter 60 or 75 hertz. when i put it on 75 my eyes feel like they are aching, is this because there not use to it? is there any medical issues i should be aware of ? or does it not make that much difference...cheers

Posted 04/17/2006 11:02 PM   
Do you use a CRT or LCD?
Do you use a CRT or LCD?

It better be.

Posted 04/17/2006 11:27 PM   
[quote name='bigtabs' date='Apr 17 2006, 11:27 PM']Do you use a CRT or LCD?
[right][post="84185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

sorry..its a 19" samsung lcd moniter, 4ms response, 700:1 contrast ratio.
[quote name='bigtabs' date='Apr 17 2006, 11:27 PM']Do you use a CRT or LCD?

[post="84185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

sorry..its a 19" samsung lcd moniter, 4ms response, 700:1 contrast ratio.

Posted 04/18/2006 12:00 AM   
if your eyes hurt, then use 60!

there''s not going to be much difference with an LCD screen , - unlike the difference 60 - 75 hz on a CRT would be, on an LCD it''s negligible - especially if the latter setting hurts your eyes.......

i''m not sure that having it at a higher setting makes it more of a medical hazard tho......
if your eyes hurt, then use 60!

there''s not going to be much difference with an LCD screen , - unlike the difference 60 - 75 hz on a CRT would be, on an LCD it''s negligible - especially if the latter setting hurts your eyes.......

i''m not sure that having it at a higher setting makes it more of a medical hazard tho......

Posted 04/18/2006 12:39 AM   
[quote name='jcjuice' date='Apr 17 2006, 05:39 PM']if your eyes hurt, then use 60!

there''s not going to be much difference with an LCD screen ,  - unlike the difference 60 - 75 hz on a CRT would be, on an LCD it''s negligible - especially if the latter setting hurts your eyes.......

[right][post="84195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree. I have a samsung 4ms 19inch lcd.. i run at 75 no probs. i have run at 60 too for exteneded periods of time...i feel no difference on my eyes. It's different for and LCD than a CRT. but like he said then run at 60 if it hurts your eyes.
[quote name='jcjuice' date='Apr 17 2006, 05:39 PM']if your eyes hurt, then use 60!

there''s not going to be much difference with an LCD screen ,  - unlike the difference 60 - 75 hz on a CRT would be, on an LCD it''s negligible - especially if the latter setting hurts your eyes.......

[post="84195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree. I have a samsung 4ms 19inch lcd.. i run at 75 no probs. i have run at 60 too for exteneded periods of time...i feel no difference on my eyes. It's different for and LCD than a CRT. but like he said then run at 60 if it hurts your eyes.

Posted 04/18/2006 12:53 AM   
[quote name='CruzDmalta' date='Apr 18 2006, 12:53 AM']I agree.  I have a samsung 4ms 19inch lcd.. i run at 75 no probs.  i have run at 60 too for exteneded periods of time...i feel no difference on my eyes.  It's different for and LCD than a CRT.  but like he said then run at 60 if it hurts your eyes.
[right][post="84202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

cheers, if there is no differance ill leave it at 60, i cant notice any differance really. on 75 its like the screen is popping out and hitting my eyes. they ache and i start to squint slightly.. /geek.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':geek:' /> anyway cheers again lads...

p.s. psu wasnt that hard to set up big tabs once i realised i had to connect more than 1 thing to each cable. it does not light up though. (got the black one from pc world). /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='CruzDmalta' date='Apr 18 2006, 12:53 AM']I agree.  I have a samsung 4ms 19inch lcd.. i run at 75 no probs.  i have run at 60 too for exteneded periods of time...i feel no difference on my eyes.  It's different for and LCD than a CRT.  but like he said then run at 60 if it hurts your eyes.

[post="84202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

cheers, if there is no differance ill leave it at 60, i cant notice any differance really. on 75 its like the screen is popping out and hitting my eyes. they ache and i start to squint slightly.. /geek.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':geek:' /> anyway cheers again lads...

p.s. psu wasnt that hard to set up big tabs once i realised i had to connect more than 1 thing to each cable. it does not light up though. (got the black one from pc world). /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Posted 04/18/2006 01:28 AM   
:) Glad you're happy with the choice you made on the PSU.

Regarding different refresh rates. In actual fact nothing much changes when you have an LCD. I'm afraid to say that the eye strain thing is in your head. Now before you go off thinking I'm calling you a psycho it's a very common thing to experience after being used to a CRT for some time.

It took me a little while to see that there was in fact no difference and I've since found solid information on why it's no different. What this info amounts to is that LCD's do not refresh in the conventional CRT sense therefore it is essentially a legacy option in the driver panel when no CRT is hooked up.

However.. you [i]might[/i] want to set it higher for gaming:

What governs the amount of frames per second you can actually see on an LCD is the response time. For my screen, that is 12ms... which roughly means that any given pixel on my screen can change to the next colour needed 83 times per second. So you could say that the max FPS I will ever see is 83. Now it's not as cut and dry as all that, because some pixels will update quicker or slower than that depending on what colour they are, and what they are trying to get to. Confused?

Now then, to break all this down into simple usefulness. There IS a good reason why you might want to leave it on 75 as opposed to 60 yet it is one thing I'm not sure about. [b]Does the nvidia driver will actually send more frames per second than the set refresh rate?[/b] If not.. you want that sucker as high as possible, because 72 FPS is the goal for fluidity on screen. If you are limited to 60, while being smooth, it's not quite fluid.

Because I don't know either way, and because there is no harm whatsoever in setting the refresh higher.. I put mine at 75.
:) Glad you're happy with the choice you made on the PSU.

Regarding different refresh rates. In actual fact nothing much changes when you have an LCD. I'm afraid to say that the eye strain thing is in your head. Now before you go off thinking I'm calling you a psycho it's a very common thing to experience after being used to a CRT for some time.

It took me a little while to see that there was in fact no difference and I've since found solid information on why it's no different. What this info amounts to is that LCD's do not refresh in the conventional CRT sense therefore it is essentially a legacy option in the driver panel when no CRT is hooked up.

However.. you might want to set it higher for gaming:

What governs the amount of frames per second you can actually see on an LCD is the response time. For my screen, that is 12ms... which roughly means that any given pixel on my screen can change to the next colour needed 83 times per second. So you could say that the max FPS I will ever see is 83. Now it's not as cut and dry as all that, because some pixels will update quicker or slower than that depending on what colour they are, and what they are trying to get to. Confused?

Now then, to break all this down into simple usefulness. There IS a good reason why you might want to leave it on 75 as opposed to 60 yet it is one thing I'm not sure about. Does the nvidia driver will actually send more frames per second than the set refresh rate? If not.. you want that sucker as high as possible, because 72 FPS is the goal for fluidity on screen. If you are limited to 60, while being smooth, it's not quite fluid.

Because I don't know either way, and because there is no harm whatsoever in setting the refresh higher.. I put mine at 75.

It better be.

Posted 04/18/2006 12:27 PM   
nice 1..if its better for gaming, then ill put it on 75. your probely right its in my head, when i go to 60hz from 50 on my ps2 i said the same thing, and now im saying it to 75. regards the psycho bit, missus been saying that for years /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />

or maybe my eyes are sensitive i dont no.. ill try it anyway.. thanks for the posts again..cheers
nice 1..if its better for gaming, then ill put it on 75. your probely right its in my head, when i go to 60hz from 50 on my ps2 i said the same thing, and now im saying it to 75. regards the psycho bit, missus been saying that for years /devil.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':devil:' />

or maybe my eyes are sensitive i dont no.. ill try it anyway.. thanks for the posts again..cheers

Posted 04/18/2006 10:12 PM   
isn't 75 Hz supposed to be more comforting on the eyes than 60 Hz ???
isn't 75 Hz supposed to be more comforting on the eyes than 60 Hz ???

Intel Core i5 2500K, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, GSkill Ripjaws X 2*4 GB @ 2133 MHz, Zotac GTX 570 1.25 GB Synergy Edition, Alienware OptX AW2210, WD Caviar 2*640, 1*1 TB GB SATA(II), Creative Inspire T6060 on XFi Titanium, Creative Tactic 3D Sigma, Tagan StoneRock TG600-U37 600W, Roccat Kone+ on Steelseries QCK Heavy, Razer Lycosa

Posted 05/18/2006 10:17 PM   
only for crt....

crt higher = better
only for crt....

crt higher = better

Posted 05/18/2006 11:49 PM   
Well as long i'm concerned 75 is better for eyes in my case i set to 75 refresh rate in long term looks better.

Just a small advice look for your eyes very important.
Well as long i'm concerned 75 is better for eyes in my case i set to 75 refresh rate in long term looks better.

Just a small advice look for your eyes very important.

Posted 05/19/2006 10:05 AM   
Scroll To Top