7800 GS Loud screeching noise Loud screeching noise from card
Hi, I'm new to Nvidia cards, been using ATI most of my life. I had my 9800xt fail on me, so i decided to go and buy a BFG 7800 GSOC. The card itself seems to be going ok, however it makes a very loud distinguishing screeching noise whenever it seems to be on a full load, IE: Playing FEAR with a lot of settings turned up. I've read up somewhere that some of the 7800 GS's that came out of the factories didn't have the industrial plastic removed under the fan faceplate. However when i checked, there didn't seem to be any problems. And to even further make sure, i put the card back in to test it w/out the fan cover. It still is making the loud screeching noise. This is VERY annoying, and am considering returning it and getting another one. However I noticed on the box of the 7800 that it wanted 20 Amps off a 12v rail. I have a 420 wat PSU, which is enough for the watts, but was wondering if maybe my card is screeching because it can't pull enough power when it needs too, like during heavy games.

Please help! >.<
Hi, I'm new to Nvidia cards, been using ATI most of my life. I had my 9800xt fail on me, so i decided to go and buy a BFG 7800 GSOC. The card itself seems to be going ok, however it makes a very loud distinguishing screeching noise whenever it seems to be on a full load, IE: Playing FEAR with a lot of settings turned up. I've read up somewhere that some of the 7800 GS's that came out of the factories didn't have the industrial plastic removed under the fan faceplate. However when i checked, there didn't seem to be any problems. And to even further make sure, i put the card back in to test it w/out the fan cover. It still is making the loud screeching noise. This is VERY annoying, and am considering returning it and getting another one. However I noticed on the box of the 7800 that it wanted 20 Amps off a 12v rail. I have a 420 wat PSU, which is enough for the watts, but was wondering if maybe my card is screeching because it can't pull enough power when it needs too, like during heavy games.

Please help! >.<

Posted 03/28/2006 07:16 AM   
maybe the fan is faulty and the sound is a bearing grinding down - rma the card...
maybe the fan is faulty and the sound is a bearing grinding down - rma the card...

Posted 03/28/2006 02:01 PM   
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:01 AM']maybe the fan is faulty and the sound is a bearing grinding down - rma the card...
[right][post="80083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i just got an email back from BFG tech saying that it's almost definately a power issue, which means my psu isn't supplying enough amps on the 12v rail. This explains why some games have this problem and others dont.
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:01 AM']maybe the fan is faulty and the sound is a bearing grinding down - rma the card...

[post="80083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i just got an email back from BFG tech saying that it's almost definately a power issue, which means my psu isn't supplying enough amps on the 12v rail. This explains why some games have this problem and others dont.

Posted 03/28/2006 05:04 PM   
thanks for the info - will help someone else for sure - also, how many amps on the 12v rail does your 420 watt psu supply?
thanks for the info - will help someone else for sure - also, how many amps on the 12v rail does your 420 watt psu supply?

Posted 03/28/2006 11:44 PM   
well, it sounds like you need a PSU upgrade. I suggest going for a 450w or 500w antec smartpower. They''ll supply more than enough Amps (dual-rail), are reliable, and are pretty cheap. I believe they can be had for 60-80 dollars.
well, it sounds like you need a PSU upgrade. I suggest going for a 450w or 500w antec smartpower. They''ll supply more than enough Amps (dual-rail), are reliable, and are pretty cheap. I believe they can be had for 60-80 dollars.

Posted 03/29/2006 12:52 AM   
[quote name='JonJon' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:52 PM']well, it sounds like you need a PSU upgrade. I suggest going for a 450w or 500w antec smartpower. They''ll supply more than enough Amps (dual-rail), are reliable, and are pretty cheap. I believe they can be had for 60-80 dollars.
[right][post="80221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I have the same problem when playing the battlefield 2142 demo it gives out a loud annoying skreeching sound. My psu is is 550 watss with a 12v rail of 20 amps.
[quote name='JonJon' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:52 PM']well, it sounds like you need a PSU upgrade. I suggest going for a 450w or 500w antec smartpower. They''ll supply more than enough Amps (dual-rail), are reliable, and are pretty cheap. I believe they can be had for 60-80 dollars.

[post="80221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have the same problem when playing the battlefield 2142 demo it gives out a loud annoying skreeching sound. My psu is is 550 watss with a 12v rail of 20 amps.

Posted 10/11/2006 04:31 AM   
is that Dual Rail or single rail?... 20a on a 550w psu is pretty low for single rail...
is that Dual Rail or single rail?... 20a on a 550w psu is pretty low for single rail...

Posted 10/11/2006 09:01 AM   
It's probably just a dodgy fan....
It's probably just a dodgy fan....

Posted 10/11/2006 04:55 PM   
Scroll To Top