NVIDIA please Remove the dual core OPTIMIZATIONS
Prince of persia warrior within blue screens as soon as I start a game on my new opteron 165. Not frontend start I mean actual gameplay. Would someone please remove the wonderful dual core optimizations that get like an extra 2 frames in battlefield 2 at 800x600 and fix these blue screens of death. This is ridiculous I have waited months and no fix. The only fix is to turn back to 78xx drivers.

I have only NVIDIA for years since the good ole RIVA 128 but it is inconceivable a company like this hasn't fixed a problem that has been going on since september. You can't even use a 7800 thats nuts. You have release a couple of useless driver updates how about a driver update that fixes the Blue screens aready! There are a ton of others complaining out there just google dual core and warrior within. Cmon and fix this problem already before some game comes out that you need newer drivers for.

I have a geforce 6800. opteron 165, ASRock 939 dual sata-2, and 1 gig of kingmax ram. And it is rock stable with Prime 95 on each processor, 3dMark in a loop.
Prince of persia warrior within blue screens as soon as I start a game on my new opteron 165. Not frontend start I mean actual gameplay. Would someone please remove the wonderful dual core optimizations that get like an extra 2 frames in battlefield 2 at 800x600 and fix these blue screens of death. This is ridiculous I have waited months and no fix. The only fix is to turn back to 78xx drivers.

I have only NVIDIA for years since the good ole RIVA 128 but it is inconceivable a company like this hasn't fixed a problem that has been going on since september. You can't even use a 7800 thats nuts. You have release a couple of useless driver updates how about a driver update that fixes the Blue screens aready! There are a ton of others complaining out there just google dual core and warrior within. Cmon and fix this problem already before some game comes out that you need newer drivers for.

I have a geforce 6800. opteron 165, ASRock 939 dual sata-2, and 1 gig of kingmax ram. And it is rock stable with Prime 95 on each processor, 3dMark in a loop.

Posted 12/26/2005 10:35 AM   
[quote name='Yianaki' date='Dec 26 2005, 06:35 AM']Prince of persia warrior within blue screens as soon as I start a game on my new opteron 165.  Not frontend start I mean actual gameplay.  Would someone please remove the wonderful dual core optimizations that get like an extra 2 frames in battlefield 2 at 800x600 and fix these blue screens of death.  This is ridiculous I have waited months and no fix.  The only fix is to turn back to 78xx drivers. 

I have only NVIDIA for years since the good ole RIVA 128 but it is inconceivable a company like this hasn't fixed a problem that has been going on since september.  You can't even use a 7800 thats nuts.  You have release a couple of useless driver updates how about a driver update that fixes the Blue screens aready!  There are a ton of others complaining out there just google dual core and warrior within.  Cmon and fix this problem already before some game comes out that you need newer drivers for.

I have a geforce 6800. opteron 165, ASRock 939 dual sata-2, and 1 gig of kingmax ram.  And it is rock stable with Prime 95 on each processor, 3dMark in a loop.
[right][post="63084"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If the suggested AMD/MS hotfixes here do not help, there is a way of diabling the drivers dual-core opts.

[url="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429"]AMD dual-core fixes[/url]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To disable the nV drivers dual-core opts:

[quote]They provided us with registry keys to add to disable dual core support in their drivers. Armed with this new information we benchmarked again. We tested again with the same hardware setup as the previous tests, and this time all testing was done manually using r_usesmp 0 and 1 to change the SMP mode on and off.  Update:  We have now been cleared by Nvidia to release the registry updates necessary to disable dual core support in the 80 series driver.  Remember you edit your registry at your own risk.

1. Go into Regedit and determine the current primary display card by looking in HKey_Local_Machine\Hardware/DeviceMap\Video and note the GUID (global unique indentifier assigned by Windows) for the entry "\device\video0" which is the long string at the end of the entry in brackets { }.

2. Edit HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{guid}\0000, where {guid} is the number derived from the above step.

3. Open the "0000" directory and enter a new key called OGL_ThreadControl and give it a value of 2. This will disable multithreading in the driver for all OGL apps.

4. In the same "0000" directory, to disable driver multithreading for all D3D apps, you can enter WTD_EXECMODEL and give a value of 0.[/quote]

Good luck with your set-up
[quote name='Yianaki' date='Dec 26 2005, 06:35 AM']Prince of persia warrior within blue screens as soon as I start a game on my new opteron 165.  Not frontend start I mean actual gameplay.  Would someone please remove the wonderful dual core optimizations that get like an extra 2 frames in battlefield 2 at 800x600 and fix these blue screens of death.  This is ridiculous I have waited months and no fix.  The only fix is to turn back to 78xx drivers. 

I have only NVIDIA for years since the good ole RIVA 128 but it is inconceivable a company like this hasn't fixed a problem that has been going on since september.  You can't even use a 7800 thats nuts.  You have release a couple of useless driver updates how about a driver update that fixes the Blue screens aready!  There are a ton of others complaining out there just google dual core and warrior within.  Cmon and fix this problem already before some game comes out that you need newer drivers for.

I have a geforce 6800. opteron 165, ASRock 939 dual sata-2, and 1 gig of kingmax ram.  And it is rock stable with Prime 95 on each processor, 3dMark in a loop.

[post="63084"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If the suggested AMD/MS hotfixes here do not help, there is a way of diabling the drivers dual-core opts.

AMD dual-core fixes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They provided us with registry keys to add to disable dual core support in their drivers. Armed with this new information we benchmarked again. We tested again with the same hardware setup as the previous tests, and this time all testing was done manually using r_usesmp 0 and 1 to change the SMP mode on and off.  Update:  We have now been cleared by Nvidia to release the registry updates necessary to disable dual core support in the 80 series driver.  Remember you edit your registry at your own risk.

1. Go into Regedit and determine the current primary display card by looking in HKey_Local_Machine\Hardware/DeviceMap\Video and note the GUID (global unique indentifier assigned by Windows) for the entry "\device\video0" which is the long string at the end of the entry in brackets { }.

2. Edit HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{guid}\0000, where {guid} is the number derived from the above step.

3. Open the "0000" directory and enter a new key called OGL_ThreadControl and give it a value of 2. This will disable multithreading in the driver for all OGL apps.

4. In the same "0000" directory, to disable driver multithreading for all D3D apps, you can enter WTD_EXECMODEL and give a value of 0.

AMD Opteron 170 Dual
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2x1GB DDR
7800GT 82.12 drivers
WinXP Pro /SP2 / nV 6.70 drivers
etc

Posted 12/26/2005 12:25 PM   
Has anyone tried changing the registry keys?
Has anyone tried changing the registry keys?

Posted 12/26/2005 10:29 PM   
There are newer forceware 81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql drivers for download dec 23. They fix prince of persia 2. But the drivers say they fix my previously working with 78.01 paint shop pro X and they don't actually. They make no mention of POP2 but nonetheless it works right. I installed your reg patch and we'll see if it makes any difference doesn't fix Paint shop X. There was some other game I had that was unstable untill I downgraded but I can't recall what it was, as I reformatted and reinstalled windows when I figured out it was the Nvidia drivers. My computer was constantly crashing and I figured it corrupted data.

Thanks very much for the heads up I was googling for fixes to no avail for hours. The reg patch mentions installing a key the key shows up as a folder and I change the default data value in the folder right? I really wish NVIDIA just released a set of drivers with and without dual core optimizations. As I don't know of any fool that would bother with thier optimizations. I think this whole situation is utter crap! This junk belongs in beta drivers I don't know what in gods name Microsoft WHQL's. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
There are newer forceware 81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql drivers for download dec 23. They fix prince of persia 2. But the drivers say they fix my previously working with 78.01 paint shop pro X and they don't actually. They make no mention of POP2 but nonetheless it works right. I installed your reg patch and we'll see if it makes any difference doesn't fix Paint shop X. There was some other game I had that was unstable untill I downgraded but I can't recall what it was, as I reformatted and reinstalled windows when I figured out it was the Nvidia drivers. My computer was constantly crashing and I figured it corrupted data.

Thanks very much for the heads up I was googling for fixes to no avail for hours. The reg patch mentions installing a key the key shows up as a folder and I change the default data value in the folder right? I really wish NVIDIA just released a set of drivers with and without dual core optimizations. As I don't know of any fool that would bother with thier optimizations. I think this whole situation is utter crap! This junk belongs in beta drivers I don't know what in gods name Microsoft WHQL's. /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 12/27/2005 06:43 AM   
[quote name='ginfest' date='Dec 26 2005, 07:25 AM']If the suggested AMD/MS hotfixes here do not help, there is a way of diabling the drivers dual-core opts.

[url="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429"]AMD dual-core fixes[/url]

[right][post="63097"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
ginfest, thanks for the useful info. I think this might be the ticket that gets me working again. I have been stable for a bit now with the 81.98 drivers. We'll see if this continues. I've linked another thread to this one to let more folks in on the voodoo magic :)
[quote name='ginfest' date='Dec 26 2005, 07:25 AM']If the suggested AMD/MS hotfixes here do not help, there is a way of diabling the drivers dual-core opts.

AMD dual-core fixes

[post="63097"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ginfest, thanks for the useful info. I think this might be the ticket that gets me working again. I have been stable for a bit now with the 81.98 drivers. We'll see if this continues. I've linked another thread to this one to let more folks in on the voodoo magic :)

Posted 12/27/2005 08:15 PM   
How about releasing two driver versions: one with dual core optimizations, one without?
How about releasing two driver versions: one with dual core optimizations, one without?

Posted 12/30/2005 04:49 PM   
[quote name='pointone' date='Dec 30 2005, 08:49 AM']How about releasing two driver versions: one with dual core optimizations, one without?
[right][post="63756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why with? They're buggy as hell if you actually have dual-core.
[quote name='pointone' date='Dec 30 2005, 08:49 AM']How about releasing two driver versions: one with dual core optimizations, one without?

[post="63756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why with? They're buggy as hell if you actually have dual-core.

Posted 01/17/2006 05:23 PM   
Nvidia are working on this. In the next driver release they will provide an option to override dual core optimizations.

RPG
Nvidia are working on this. In the next driver release they will provide an option to override dual core optimizations.

RPG

Posted 01/17/2006 06:45 PM   
If you''d bothered to read the driver release notes, you''d have seen the registry patch to remove the dual-core optimisations. No idea why we''re quoting 3rd party websites when nVidia included the info with the driver.
If you''d bothered to read the driver release notes, you''d have seen the registry patch to remove the dual-core optimisations. No idea why we''re quoting 3rd party websites when nVidia included the info with the driver.

Posted 01/17/2006 06:51 PM   
[quote name='shteve' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:51 PM']If you''d bothered to read the driver release notes, you''d have seen the registry patch to remove the dual-core optimisations. No idea why we''re quoting 3rd party websites when nVidia included the info with the driver.
[right][post="66516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Unfortunately, those instructions weren't in the release notes for 81.94, when a lot of us were looking for answers.
Second, the pdf didn't show up on the google search for the answer, but the external website did.
Third, at the time the answer was found, the info wasn't available. See the following from ginfests post. This kind of implies that the issue wasn't available before, no?
[quote]Update:  We have now been cleared by Nvidia to release the registry updates necessary to disable dual core support in the 80 series driver.[/quote]
[quote name='shteve' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:51 PM']If you''d bothered to read the driver release notes, you''d have seen the registry patch to remove the dual-core optimisations. No idea why we''re quoting 3rd party websites when nVidia included the info with the driver.

[post="66516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unfortunately, those instructions weren't in the release notes for 81.94, when a lot of us were looking for answers.

Second, the pdf didn't show up on the google search for the answer, but the external website did.

Third, at the time the answer was found, the info wasn't available. See the following from ginfests post. This kind of implies that the issue wasn't available before, no?

Update:  We have now been cleared by Nvidia to release the registry updates necessary to disable dual core support in the 80 series driver.

Posted 01/17/2006 08:53 PM   

Posted 10/17/2006 10:24 AM   
[quote name='Helen' date='Oct 17 2006, 12:24 PM']This seems to be a XP recommendation only, but what if i have Win2000?
It's [b]NOT[/b] GUID based, and, in fact, there is *no* [b]HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{guid}\[/b], only [b]HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv[/b]. An placing WTD_EXECMODEL=0 in both of Device0 and [b]HKLM\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video[/b] shows completely *no* effect.
[right][post="120878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You can also disable the multicore optimizations using nHancer (see my signature, use the latest beta). This should also work on Win2k
[quote name='Helen' date='Oct 17 2006, 12:24 PM']This seems to be a XP recommendation only, but what if i have Win2000?

It's NOT GUID based, and, in fact, there is *no* HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{guid}\, only HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv. An placing WTD_EXECMODEL=0 in both of Device0 and HKLM\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video shows completely *no* effect.

[post="120878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can also disable the multicore optimizations using nHancer (see my signature, use the latest beta). This should also work on Win2k

Posted 10/19/2006 08:21 AM   
you can also do it in the new control panel i believe....
you can also do it in the new control panel i believe....

Posted 10/20/2006 07:34 AM   
Scroll To Top