Please Fix Dual Core and 8x.xx Driver bug
  1 / 21    
I've been using dated drivers from day one of building my new dream system. I spent over 4,000$ on my new machine to use older (SLOWER) display drivers. I would have expected nVidia the leader in GPU solutions whom I have stuck faithful to since I bought my mx420 to have tested their new drivers on hardcore setups. Please fix these driver issues.

System Specs:
AMD 4400+ x2
2x512 Corsair PC3200XL
Asus A8NSLI Deluxe
BFG 7800 GTX OC
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
2x 74gb raptors in raid 0

Now my system crashes even after I downgraded to older (previously stable) drivers, after installing the newest driver. I get BSoD'd with something along the lines of nv4_disp.dll or something.

PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU FIX THIS DRIVER PROBLEM :angry:
I've been using dated drivers from day one of building my new dream system. I spent over 4,000$ on my new machine to use older (SLOWER) display drivers. I would have expected nVidia the leader in GPU solutions whom I have stuck faithful to since I bought my mx420 to have tested their new drivers on hardcore setups. Please fix these driver issues.

System Specs:

AMD 4400+ x2

2x512 Corsair PC3200XL

Asus A8NSLI Deluxe

BFG 7800 GTX OC

Now my system crashes even after I downgraded to older (previously stable) drivers, after installing the newest driver. I get BSoD'd with something along the lines of nv4_disp.dll or something.

PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU FIX THIS DRIVER PROBLEM :angry:

Posted 12/03/2005 03:22 AM   
BTW, as soon as I get my camera working I'll see if I can get a snapshot of the bluescreen for developers purposes. Also My motherboard has all the latest bios updates.
BTW, as soon as I get my camera working I'll see if I can get a snapshot of the bluescreen for developers purposes. Also My motherboard has all the latest bios updates.

Posted 12/03/2005 03:23 AM   
ur not the only one. but ionno how common this is for u. I hardly see it, maybe its cuz i dont game too much...
ur not the only one. but ionno how common this is for u. I hardly see it, maybe its cuz i dont game too much...

Posted 12/03/2005 03:33 AM   
This machine was built for gaming, and thats all its for.
This machine was built for gaming, and thats all its for.

Posted 12/03/2005 04:53 AM   
I have similar issues on my system here is my post:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9687"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9687[/url]

I am very disappointed I've never had these kinds of issues with nvidia drivers before with any nvidia product and I've owned over 12 nvidia cards. It sucks I can't play fear far cry or any other game that utilizes D3D. What a waste if I had known I wouldn't be able to use my card properly for almost a month I wouldn't have bought it in the first place
I have similar issues on my system here is my post:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9687

I am very disappointed I've never had these kinds of issues with nvidia drivers before with any nvidia product and I've owned over 12 nvidia cards. It sucks I can't play fear far cry or any other game that utilizes D3D. What a waste if I had known I wouldn't be able to use my card properly for almost a month I wouldn't have bought it in the first place

Posted 12/03/2005 05:05 AM   
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 12:53 AM']This machine was built for gaming, and thats all its for.
[right][post="60022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Then why did you buy a dual core processor?
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 12:53 AM']This machine was built for gaming, and thats all its for.

[post="60022"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then why did you buy a dual core processor?

Posted 12/03/2005 05:22 AM   
If i had known what i know now. I would have deffinatly gotten a FX-57 rather then the dualcore 4800
If i had known what i know now. I would have deffinatly gotten a FX-57 rather then the dualcore 4800

My Specs: AMD® Athlon-64 4800+ CPU, Gigabyte nForce4-SLI AMD Motherboard, 2 GB Kingston Hyper-X Ram, X2 Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX (79.11), BFG Tech 600Watt Power Supply, Seagate: Barracuda 150 GB 7200 RPM, Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy-2 ZS 7.1, Window XP PRO (SP2)

Posted 12/03/2005 06:17 AM   
[quote name='GraveyardPC' date='Dec 2 2005, 09:22 PM']Then why did you buy a dual core processor?
[right][post="60029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why not? I had the money to build a beastly system and by the time I actually get to use newer drivers that take advantage of Dual-Core my system wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it.
[quote name='GraveyardPC' date='Dec 2 2005, 09:22 PM']Then why did you buy a dual core processor?

[post="60029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why not? I had the money to build a beastly system and by the time I actually get to use newer drivers that take advantage of Dual-Core my system wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it.

Posted 12/03/2005 11:09 AM   
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:22 PM']I've been using dated drivers from day one of building my new dream system. I spent over 4,000$ on my new machine to use older (SLOWER) display drivers. I would have expected nVidia the leader in GPU solutions whom I have stuck faithful to since I bought my mx420 to have tested their new drivers on hardcore setups. Please fix these driver issues.

System Specs:
AMD 4400+ x2
2x512 Corsair PC3200XL
Asus A8NSLI Deluxe
BFG 7800 GTX OC

PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU FIX THIS DRIVER PROBLEM  :angry:
[right][post="60012"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

There is no general driver problem with dual-core and the 8x.xx series. You may have a problem with your specific hw and sw. I just set up an Opteron 170 dual oc to 4800 x2 speed, 2-1GB GSkill DDR running 240HTT 1/01 on a DFI NF4 Ultra mainboard and a 7800 GT, fresh install Win XP SP2, NV drivers 6.70 and 81.95 and am running EQ2, Q4, FEAR, AOE3 and 2 EA SPorts games and haven't had one crash or BSOD!

Anyway, suggest you do some research, learn the ins and outs of you new setup and start anew.
Two trouble spots that immediately come to mind are the RAID 0 and the Creative soundcard. Both can cause problems. Also suggest that you peruse the ABX Zone forums for some info on the Asus mainboard
G'luck
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:22 PM']I've been using dated drivers from day one of building my new dream system. I spent over 4,000$ on my new machine to use older (SLOWER) display drivers. I would have expected nVidia the leader in GPU solutions whom I have stuck faithful to since I bought my mx420 to have tested their new drivers on hardcore setups. Please fix these driver issues.

System Specs:

AMD 4400+ x2

2x512 Corsair PC3200XL

Asus A8NSLI Deluxe

BFG 7800 GTX OC

PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU FIX THIS DRIVER PROBLEM  :angry:

[post="60012"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There is no general driver problem with dual-core and the 8x.xx series. You may have a problem with your specific hw and sw. I just set up an Opteron 170 dual oc to 4800 x2 speed, 2-1GB GSkill DDR running 240HTT 1/01 on a DFI NF4 Ultra mainboard and a 7800 GT, fresh install Win XP SP2, NV drivers 6.70 and 81.95 and am running EQ2, Q4, FEAR, AOE3 and 2 EA SPorts games and haven't had one crash or BSOD!

Anyway, suggest you do some research, learn the ins and outs of you new setup and start anew.

Two trouble spots that immediately come to mind are the RAID 0 and the Creative soundcard. Both can cause problems. Also suggest that you peruse the ABX Zone forums for some info on the Asus mainboard

G'luck

AMD Opteron 170 Dual
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2x1GB DDR
7800GT 82.12 drivers
WinXP Pro /SP2 / nV 6.70 drivers
etc

Posted 12/03/2005 11:18 AM   
Not exactly. If you look at your spec you will see AMD Athlon x2 dual core chips with NVidia video cards have issues with the 8x.xx drivers. There must be well over 40 posts with the complaint on these forums, using many different threads! If you dont believe me look for yourself.

The hanging happens with AMD 'Athlon x2' cpus. I noticed the person who had no complaint is using an opteron cpu, which is different then the 'Athlon x2 dual core'.

You are not alone with this bug. Have a look. The only way around it is to use older drivers (78.01). NVidia know this by now as people have been moaning about it for several weeks.

On the net some sites claim there is a hardware bug/fault/problem with Nforce4.

If you reformat your system and DONT install/download Nvidia nforce4 platform drivers you will probably have a stable system!

If you look at the older threads on these forums there are other suggestions as well
Not exactly. If you look at your spec you will see AMD Athlon x2 dual core chips with NVidia video cards have issues with the 8x.xx drivers. There must be well over 40 posts with the complaint on these forums, using many different threads! If you dont believe me look for yourself.

The hanging happens with AMD 'Athlon x2' cpus. I noticed the person who had no complaint is using an opteron cpu, which is different then the 'Athlon x2 dual core'.

You are not alone with this bug. Have a look. The only way around it is to use older drivers (78.01). NVidia know this by now as people have been moaning about it for several weeks.

On the net some sites claim there is a hardware bug/fault/problem with Nforce4.

If you reformat your system and DONT install/download Nvidia nforce4 platform drivers you will probably have a stable system!

If you look at the older threads on these forums there are other suggestions as well

Posted 12/03/2005 05:56 PM   
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 07:09 AM']Why not? I had the money to build a beastly system and by the time I actually get to use newer drivers that take advantage of Dual-Core my system wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it.
[right][post="60046"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

And that makes you happy, that your system "wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it"?
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 07:09 AM']Why not? I had the money to build a beastly system and by the time I actually get to use newer drivers that take advantage of Dual-Core my system wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it.

[post="60046"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And that makes you happy, that your system "wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it"?

Posted 12/03/2005 07:45 PM   
2 Questions, I am having crashing probs on a 4800+ as well.

What do you mean platform drivers? I install the eternet driver one other from the nForce4 set from Nvidias site. Should I download it from my abit instead? (they have an older set). Also, when I roll back from 8xxx to 7xxx I still get crashing, though I never got crashing when I did a format and a clean install and put on 7xxx (before 8xxx were released).

What''s your advice?

Jake-
2 Questions, I am having crashing probs on a 4800+ as well.

What do you mean platform drivers? I install the eternet driver one other from the nForce4 set from Nvidias site. Should I download it from my abit instead? (they have an older set). Also, when I roll back from 8xxx to 7xxx I still get crashing, though I never got crashing when I did a format and a clean install and put on 7xxx (before 8xxx were released).

What''s your advice?

Jake-

Posted 12/03/2005 08:53 PM   
[quote name='GraveyardPC' date='Dec 3 2005, 11:45 AM']And that makes you happy, that your system "wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it"?
[right][post="60086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Please if you dont have anything useful to add to the post please dont come here and harass me about my choice in processors.

And I do happen to know the crash is nVidia drivers due to the fact when it blue screens I get a little line in there that says nv4_disp.dll that leads me to believe that this is a driver problem. Creative has never fudged up on me EVER, and as far as raid 0 being a problem thats just ludicrous see'ing as I have tested the system on 78.01 before I installed the newer drivers with SiSoft Sandra burn in wizard for over 15 hours with no crashes whatsoever.

Also I have tried installing and not installing the IDE/SW drivers both make no difference whatsoever.
[quote name='GraveyardPC' date='Dec 3 2005, 11:45 AM']And that makes you happy, that your system "wont be half as good as it was when I first bought it"?

[post="60086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please if you dont have anything useful to add to the post please dont come here and harass me about my choice in processors.

And I do happen to know the crash is nVidia drivers due to the fact when it blue screens I get a little line in there that says nv4_disp.dll that leads me to believe that this is a driver problem. Creative has never fudged up on me EVER, and as far as raid 0 being a problem thats just ludicrous see'ing as I have tested the system on 78.01 before I installed the newer drivers with SiSoft Sandra burn in wizard for over 15 hours with no crashes whatsoever.

Also I have tried installing and not installing the IDE/SW drivers both make no difference whatsoever.

Posted 12/03/2005 08:54 PM   
I have a Pentium D dual core and I have the same problems with the 81.xx...although it only happens when I try to fly space missions in Star Wars: Battlefront 2. When I roll back to a 7x.xx driver, I get no problems at all. The Ironic (and sad) part is that the driver release notes specificly say "Performance enhancements for dual-core CPUs"...I would not exactly say that System Lock-Ups and BSODs are performance ENHANCEMENTS...is nVidia going to become the new (old)ATI?
I have a Pentium D dual core and I have the same problems with the 81.xx...although it only happens when I try to fly space missions in Star Wars: Battlefront 2. When I roll back to a 7x.xx driver, I get no problems at all. The Ironic (and sad) part is that the driver release notes specificly say "Performance enhancements for dual-core CPUs"...I would not exactly say that System Lock-Ups and BSODs are performance ENHANCEMENTS...is nVidia going to become the new (old)ATI?

Posted 12/04/2005 12:00 AM   
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:54 PM']Please if you dont have anything useful to add to the post please dont come here and harass me about my choice in processors.
[right][post="60094"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I'm not here to harass you about anything. I simply asked why you purchesed a dual core processor when your computer was going to be used specifically for gaming. And as far as me not adding anything helpful, that's just absurd; nothing anyone can say here can fix a driver bug. This thread is just a place to complain about dual core issues -- as per the title, "Please Fix Dual Core and 8x.xx Driver bug."
[quote name='valium' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:54 PM']Please if you dont have anything useful to add to the post please dont come here and harass me about my choice in processors.

[post="60094"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not here to harass you about anything. I simply asked why you purchesed a dual core processor when your computer was going to be used specifically for gaming. And as far as me not adding anything helpful, that's just absurd; nothing anyone can say here can fix a driver bug. This thread is just a place to complain about dual core issues -- as per the title, "Please Fix Dual Core and 8x.xx Driver bug."

Posted 12/04/2005 03:40 AM   
  1 / 21    
Scroll To Top