Dual Core Nf 4 & driver 81.85 3D Application Hangs
  1 / 2    
Hi,

Ive glanced realy quick and noticed that other folks are also having issues with Dual Core systems, and the new 81.85 driver sets.

I also tried to contact support at Nvidia, and they told me to post my issue here. They did not want to take down my bug report over the phone, so here is the post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

We are a systems integrator, and we just built several Nforce 4, systems for a customer using latest Video driver 81.85 .
We understand that the new driver takes advantage of Dual Core systems, but that is a problem with 3d studio Max version 7 & 8. The application viewport freezes for about 5-7 minutes before it can be used, and CPU Usage climes to 100% on both cores.
After 5-7 minutes Application viewport becomes accessible, but 1 of the cores stays at 99% usage.
Reverting to older driver Version: 78.01, fixes the problem, but they also like to play games, at lunch time, and are hoping to take advantage of the new 81.85 capabilities with their dual core AMD cpu.

The specs are below.

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core (2.2mhz) = 2 CPU's
nVIDIA nFORCE4 Motherboard MSI-SLI chipset driver Version: 6.70
2GB DDR 400 PC3200
200GB SERIAL ATA System and Storage
Nvidia 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E Video driver Version: 81.85
Dual Layer 16X DVDR
Floppy
Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c
600W Power Supply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems paint shop pro users are having similar issues

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458[/url] /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />
Hi,

Ive glanced realy quick and noticed that other folks are also having issues with Dual Core systems, and the new 81.85 driver sets.

I also tried to contact support at Nvidia, and they told me to post my issue here. They did not want to take down my bug report over the phone, so here is the post.

Hello,

We are a systems integrator, and we just built several Nforce 4, systems for a customer using latest Video driver 81.85 .

We understand that the new driver takes advantage of Dual Core systems, but that is a problem with 3d studio Max version 7 & 8. The application viewport freezes for about 5-7 minutes before it can be used, and CPU Usage climes to 100% on both cores.

After 5-7 minutes Application viewport becomes accessible, but 1 of the cores stays at 99% usage.

Reverting to older driver Version: 78.01, fixes the problem, but they also like to play games, at lunch time, and are hoping to take advantage of the new 81.85 capabilities with their dual core AMD cpu.

The specs are below.

2GB DDR 400 PC3200

Dual Layer 16X DVDR

Floppy

Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c

600W Power Supply

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458 /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

Posted 11/09/2005 08:14 PM   
i have the same problem but with Venice Processor and following programs:

3D Studio max 8 > OpenGL viewport freezes
Particle Illusion >OpenGL viewport freezes
Curious Labs Poser 6 >OpenGL viewport freezes

these 3 programs and any program that will use openGL(except games) will freeze for 1 -2 minutes resulting in the end the crash of my computer.

These problems appear only with 80's Forceware drivers, reverting back to 70's and everything is working fine.

[color="red"]
3000+ venice, Abit an8 ultra and a 7800 GTX.[/color]

edit: forcing openGL 1.5 from rivatuner seems to fix Particle Illusion but not 3dsmax.

Fix the drivers. thank you.
i have the same problem but with Venice Processor and following programs:

3D Studio max 8 > OpenGL viewport freezes

Particle Illusion >OpenGL viewport freezes

Curious Labs Poser 6 >OpenGL viewport freezes

these 3 programs and any program that will use openGL(except games) will freeze for 1 -2 minutes resulting in the end the crash of my computer.

These problems appear only with 80's Forceware drivers, reverting back to 70's and everything is working fine.

3000+ venice, Abit an8 ultra and a 7800 GTX.

edit: forcing openGL 1.5 from rivatuner seems to fix Particle Illusion but not 3dsmax.

Fix the drivers. thank you.

Posted 11/10/2005 01:05 AM   
-EPOX EP-9NPA+ULTRA nForce4 Ultra
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
-eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO PCIe
-Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 (win32)

My problem is the same as single core user listed below (but I have dual core) - not 3D apps, but random freezing, even at idle...

[url="http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=221805"]See here[/url] for more information on the beta test quality mess I've just bought/built - we need non-alpha/beta real WHQL drivers, not some worthless cruel joke /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

[quote]Same problems here,
but in my case the hardlocks happens mostly
when system is idle (in photo slideshow screensaver not 3D).
my config:

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D
Athlon 64 3200+
1GB DDR 400 Corsair
Chaintech 6600GT
Seventeam 450W
Windows XP SP2

my conclusion:

Only happen with AMD64, mybe only with NF4 chipset (?).
Only happen with 81.xx version driver.
Happen with all (at least 6x00 and 7x00) gpu.[/quote]
-EPOX EP-9NPA+ULTRA nForce4 Ultra

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

-eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO PCIe

-Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 (win32)

My problem is the same as single core user listed below (but I have dual core) - not 3D apps, but random freezing, even at idle...

See here for more information on the beta test quality mess I've just bought/built - we need non-alpha/beta real WHQL drivers, not some worthless cruel joke /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Same problems here,

but in my case the hardlocks happens mostly

when system is idle (in photo slideshow screensaver not 3D).

my config:

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D

Athlon 64 3200+

1GB DDR 400 Corsair

Chaintech 6600GT

Seventeam 450W

Windows XP SP2

my conclusion:

Only happen with AMD64, mybe only with NF4 chipset (?).

Only happen with 81.xx version driver.

Happen with all (at least 6x00 and 7x00) gpu.

Posted 11/10/2005 02:29 AM   
[quote name='nando' date='Nov 9 2005, 04:44 PM']
Hi,

Hello,

The specs are below.

2GB DDR 400 PC3200
Dual Layer 16X DVDR
Floppy
Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c
600W Power Supply
Hey, i'm having pretty much the exact same problems with those divers and i have a simlar set up abit an8 ultra, 7800gt, and a amd x2 3800+.
[quote name='nando' date='Nov 9 2005, 04:44 PM']

Hi,

Hello,

The specs are below.

2GB DDR 400 PC3200

Dual Layer 16X DVDR

Floppy

Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c

600W Power Supply

Hey, i'm having pretty much the exact same problems with those divers and i have a simlar set up abit an8 ultra, 7800gt, and a amd x2 3800+.

AMD 3800 x2 @ 2.45 (Zalman 9500)
abit an8 ultra
ocz platinum rev 2 512x2
BFG 7800gt @ 524, 1.24 (Zalman VF700-Cu LED)
Enermax liberty 500W
raptor 36gig, segate 250, WD 160 external
3DMark05 8503

Posted 11/10/2005 05:22 AM   
the Fix......

Just to let you know Ive seen that alot of folks all over the place not just here are having opengl dual core issues with the new 81.85 drivers.

Welp on this forum there was a mention of Beta drivers.. 81.89
So i gave them a go, and the opengl hangs are gone, so there is a fix

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9079"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9079[/url]

They are beta so dont expect any help from anybody ;)
Your on your own
the Fix......

Just to let you know Ive seen that alot of folks all over the place not just here are having opengl dual core issues with the new 81.85 drivers.

Welp on this forum there was a mention of Beta drivers.. 81.89

So i gave them a go, and the opengl hangs are gone, so there is a fix

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9079

They are beta so dont expect any help from anybody ;)

Your on your own

Posted 11/11/2005 08:57 PM   
[quote name='nando' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:14 PM']Hi,

Hello,

We are a systems integrator, and  we just built  several Nforce 4, systems  for a  customer using latest Video driver 81.85 .
Reverting to older driver  Version: 78.01, fixes the problem, but they also like to play games, at lunch time, and are hoping to take advantage of the new 81.85 capabilities with their dual core AMD cpu.

The specs are below.

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core  (2.2mhz) = 2 CPU's
nVIDIA nFORCE4 Motherboard MSI-SLI chipset driver  Version: 6.70
2GB DDR 400 PC3200
Nvidia  7800GTX 256MB PCI-E  Video driver  Version: 81.85
Dual Layer 16X DVDR
Floppy
Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c
600W Power Supply

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458[/url]                    /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />
[right][post="56890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I am having the exact same problems on my Dual Xeon based system. When I try to initialize either 3DSMax 6 or 7 with the OpenGL renderer my system hangs for several minutes. When it finally does become responsive one of my physical cores as well as my secondary hypterthreaded core are pegged at 100% CPU utilization. Needless to say, the program is very sluggish at this point.

Reverting to the 78.xx drivers seems to fix the problem - but like the other users, I would like to stick with the new drivers as the dual CPU enhancements sound great. I tried the 81.89 and the 81.94 drivers as some users reported that these fixed the issues but the 3DSMax startup hang problem still exists with my system.

Can someone at Nvidia verify that they have read this and are looking into the issue?

Here are my machine specs

Asus NCCH-DL (Intel 875 based motherboard)
Dual 3.2 Hyperthreaded Xeons
BFG 6800 GT
74 GB Western Digital Raptor
2x200 Seagate Drives in Raid 1
2 Gigs Corsair TwinX
Audigy 2
Enermax 6501 Power Supply
WinXP Pro

Thanks
[quote name='nando' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:14 PM']Hi,

Hello,

We are a systems integrator, and  we just built  several Nforce 4, systems  for a  customer using latest Video driver 81.85 .

Reverting to older driver  Version: 78.01, fixes the problem, but they also like to play games, at lunch time, and are hoping to take advantage of the new 81.85 capabilities with their dual core AMD cpu.

The specs are below.

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core  (2.2mhz) = 2 CPU's

nVIDIA nFORCE4 Motherboard MSI-SLI chipset driver  Version: 6.70

2GB DDR 400 PC3200

Nvidia  7800GTX 256MB PCI-E  Video driver  Version: 81.85

Dual Layer 16X DVDR

Floppy

Windows XP Pro SP2 DX 9c

600W Power Supply

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458                    /whistling.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':whistling:' />

[post="56890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am having the exact same problems on my Dual Xeon based system. When I try to initialize either 3DSMax 6 or 7 with the OpenGL renderer my system hangs for several minutes. When it finally does become responsive one of my physical cores as well as my secondary hypterthreaded core are pegged at 100% CPU utilization. Needless to say, the program is very sluggish at this point.

Reverting to the 78.xx drivers seems to fix the problem - but like the other users, I would like to stick with the new drivers as the dual CPU enhancements sound great. I tried the 81.89 and the 81.94 drivers as some users reported that these fixed the issues but the 3DSMax startup hang problem still exists with my system.

Can someone at Nvidia verify that they have read this and are looking into the issue?

Here are my machine specs

Asus NCCH-DL (Intel 875 based motherboard)

Dual 3.2 Hyperthreaded Xeons

BFG 6800 GT

74 GB Western Digital Raptor

2x200 Seagate Drives in Raid 1

2 Gigs Corsair TwinX

Audigy 2

Enermax 6501 Power Supply

WinXP Pro

Thanks

Posted 11/15/2005 01:51 AM   
i have this problem too, my system chrashes to desktop or i get a blue screen telling me NV_disp..... and i have to reboot. I just want to know how you can ignore such a problem, i bought my card for 620 Euro and i want to use it!!!

My Specs are:
7800 GTX
X2 4400 Dual Core
A8N SLI Premium
Raid 0 S-ATA 2 480 GB Samsung
Winxp32 and 64 (both the same Problem)
2 GIG Corsair Twinx CL2

I have the problem with all Forceware from 8x.xx to 81.89. I had no time to test 81.94 but i will do in short time. i have no hope that this driver fixes the problem, i think its deeper related and that it is a hardware issue not a software issue!! If it was software they had fixed this till now!

Do something Nvidia i paid the money for it and i want to use it on the latest games. All drivers before 8X.XX were fine for me at this moment i am sticking with 78.05 but these are not good for actual games like Guild Wars, COD2, FEAR, Quake4, WOW..... i really need help before my computer is outdated, if it is hardware issue than change my card into a working one. if it is a software issue than fix it... if you cant help me than say it and i am going to buy a X1800XT with supberb image Quality and without crashes and bluescreens...

I would be glad if you can officialy announce us what you are going to do nividia but hiding is the easy way for you i think...
i have this problem too, my system chrashes to desktop or i get a blue screen telling me NV_disp..... and i have to reboot. I just want to know how you can ignore such a problem, i bought my card for 620 Euro and i want to use it!!!

My Specs are:

7800 GTX

X2 4400 Dual Core

A8N SLI Premium

Raid 0 S-ATA 2 480 GB Samsung

Winxp32 and 64 (both the same Problem)

2 GIG Corsair Twinx CL2

I have the problem with all Forceware from 8x.xx to 81.89. I had no time to test 81.94 but i will do in short time. i have no hope that this driver fixes the problem, i think its deeper related and that it is a hardware issue not a software issue!! If it was software they had fixed this till now!

Do something Nvidia i paid the money for it and i want to use it on the latest games. All drivers before 8X.XX were fine for me at this moment i am sticking with 78.05 but these are not good for actual games like Guild Wars, COD2, FEAR, Quake4, WOW..... i really need help before my computer is outdated, if it is hardware issue than change my card into a working one. if it is a software issue than fix it... if you cant help me than say it and i am going to buy a X1800XT with supberb image Quality and without crashes and bluescreens...

I would be glad if you can officialy announce us what you are going to do nividia but hiding is the easy way for you i think...

Posted 11/15/2005 10:09 AM   
Hmm have nVidia admitted officially that this is a bug?
Is it just me or does everyone with a Dual Core system have these problems?
Hmm have nVidia admitted officially that this is a bug?

Is it just me or does everyone with a Dual Core system have these problems?

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 (nVIDIA nF4 AMD drivers 6.70)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ default clocks
GPU: nVIDIA 7800GTX 256MB @ default clocks
MEM: 2x1GB Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 @ default clocks
DVDRW: Plextor PX-716SA
HDD: Maxtor 2x300GB, 16MB cache, SATA
PSU: Tagan EasyCon 480W
CASE: Lian Li PC-V1000

Posted 11/15/2005 09:18 PM   
Let me just chime in and confirm the issue:

Driver 81.85
GeForce FX5900 (yeah, I know :( ).
Dual Xeon 3.02 GHz

Problems with:
LightWave 7.5/8.5 (NewTek)
project messiah 2.2b (PmG)
Fusion 5 (eyeon)

I've seens confirmations of all of these issue a couple of times, reverting to a 7xxx series driver fixes the issues in all cases.

It seems that 81.94 still has the same problems. (Not checked personally though, and I won't until I find the issue marked as fixed in the release notes ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike
Let me just chime in and confirm the issue:

Driver 81.85

Dual Xeon 3.02 GHz

Problems with:

Fusion 5 (eyeon)

I've seens confirmations of all of these issue a couple of times, reverting to a 7xxx series driver fixes the issues in all cases.

It seems that 81.94 still has the same problems. (Not checked personally though, and I won't until I find the issue marked as fixed in the release notes ;) ).

Cheers,

Mike

Posted 11/16/2005 10:48 AM   
[quote name='LightWolf' date='Nov 16 2005, 02:48 AM']Let me just chime in and confirm the issue:

Driver 81.85
Dual Xeon 3.02 GHz

Problems with:
Fusion 5 (eyeon)

Cheers,
Mike
[right][post="57873"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Lightwolf - I still have the probs with the 81.94 drivers :( I had to revert back the 78.05 drivers and now everything is working as it should once again. I just wish Nvidia would comment to say they acknowledge the issue. The 3DSMax user boards are also flooded with users pissed off at Nvidia for fundamently breaking a number of their crucial programs.
[quote name='LightWolf' date='Nov 16 2005, 02:48 AM']Let me just chime in and confirm the issue:

Driver 81.85

Dual Xeon 3.02 GHz

Problems with:

Fusion 5 (eyeon)

Cheers,

Mike

[post="57873"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lightwolf - I still have the probs with the 81.94 drivers :( I had to revert back the 78.05 drivers and now everything is working as it should once again. I just wish Nvidia would comment to say they acknowledge the issue. The 3DSMax user boards are also flooded with users pissed off at Nvidia for fundamently breaking a number of their crucial programs.

Posted 11/16/2005 04:16 PM   
I'm also having this problem. I'm currently on the newly released 81.94 but 3dsmax still refuses to work in OpenGL mode.

Curiously, I noticed this in the release notes for 81.85:

• GeForce 6800 Ultra: The system hangs when running 3D applications
on a x16 PCI-E system.
[i]This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard
BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.[/i]

However, I'm using the latest BIOS update (18th Oct 05) for my motherboard. It would seriously suck if this is the problem, and we all have to rely on our motherboard manufacturers to make a BIOS update to fix this.
I'm also having this problem. I'm currently on the newly released 81.94 but 3dsmax still refuses to work in OpenGL mode.

on a x16 PCI-E system.

This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard

BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.

However, I'm using the latest BIOS update (18th Oct 05) for my motherboard. It would seriously suck if this is the problem, and we all have to rely on our motherboard manufacturers to make a BIOS update to fix this.

Posted 11/19/2005 08:50 PM   
[quote name='redd' date='Nov 19 2005, 09:50 PM']I'm also having this problem. I'm currently on the newly released 81.94 but 3dsmax still refuses to work in OpenGL mode.

on a x16 PCI-E system.
[i]This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard
BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.[/i]

[right][post="58337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have the same prob with amd x2. I tried the latest driver for video, but still hangs. One thing I did notice was that the problem happens to me only after installing the nforce4 platform drivers. I dont know if anyone would like to format their system to try it out etc, and reinstall XP. I wiped my pc about a month ago and it was workin ok for a few weeks until I started installing NVidia drivers for NForce4!
[quote name='redd' date='Nov 19 2005, 09:50 PM']I'm also having this problem. I'm currently on the newly released 81.94 but 3dsmax still refuses to work in OpenGL mode.

on a x16 PCI-E system.

This issue is resolved with an update to the nForce4 430/410 motherboard

BIOS. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for the update.

[post="58337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have the same prob with amd x2. I tried the latest driver for video, but still hangs. One thing I did notice was that the problem happens to me only after installing the nforce4 platform drivers. I dont know if anyone would like to format their system to try it out etc, and reinstall XP. I wiped my pc about a month ago and it was workin ok for a few weeks until I started installing NVidia drivers for NForce4!

Posted 11/19/2005 09:38 PM   
[quote name='kenm2000' date='Nov 19 2005, 09:38 PM']I have the same prob with amd x2. I tried the latest driver for video, but still hangs.  One thing I did notice was that the problem happens to me only after installing the nforce4 platform drivers. I dont know if anyone would like to format their system to try it out etc, and reinstall XP. I wiped my pc about a month ago and it was workin ok for a few weeks until I started installing NVidia drivers for NForce4!
[right][post="58345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're not the first to mention the nforce4 chipset drivers. Perhaps it could be some kind of driver clash between them and the new dual-core forceware. I just wish nVidia or Autodesk would raise this as an issue, at least so that we know they're aware of it and looking into a fix. Luckily 3dsmax is the only program I'm having lockup problems with. I've had no issues with any of my other games or apps.
[quote name='kenm2000' date='Nov 19 2005, 09:38 PM']I have the same prob with amd x2. I tried the latest driver for video, but still hangs.  One thing I did notice was that the problem happens to me only after installing the nforce4 platform drivers. I dont know if anyone would like to format their system to try it out etc, and reinstall XP. I wiped my pc about a month ago and it was workin ok for a few weeks until I started installing NVidia drivers for NForce4!

[post="58345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're not the first to mention the nforce4 chipset drivers. Perhaps it could be some kind of driver clash between them and the new dual-core forceware. I just wish nVidia or Autodesk would raise this as an issue, at least so that we know they're aware of it and looking into a fix. Luckily 3dsmax is the only program I'm having lockup problems with. I've had no issues with any of my other games or apps.

Posted 11/19/2005 11:38 PM   
OK. I have had a look around the net. It seems that dual core AMD with latest Nvidia video drivers causes random hanging, whatever app you are using.

I have gone back to 78.xx drivers from Nvidia website. So far so good. If the problem still happens i will let you know. Have Nforce4 platform drivers still installed

p.s. have geo 6600 gfx pci-express

at least NVidia had the good will to put their archives on the net!

Does this mean I cant play latest games until NVidia sort this mess out?
OK. I have had a look around the net. It seems that dual core AMD with latest Nvidia video drivers causes random hanging, whatever app you are using.

I have gone back to 78.xx drivers from Nvidia website. So far so good. If the problem still happens i will let you know. Have Nforce4 platform drivers still installed

Posted 11/20/2005 05:43 PM   
[quote name='kenm2000' date='Nov 20 2005, 05:43 PM']OK. I have had a look around the net. It seems that dual core AMD with latest Nvidia video drivers causes random hanging, whatever app you are using.

[right][post="58426"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It would appear so. Most games shouldn't show much difference between 78.xx and 81.xx. However I know that a few people might not be able to roll-back (For example, F.E.A.R. has severe issues on anything below 81.85 with a 7800 GTX I believe).
[quote name='kenm2000' date='Nov 20 2005, 05:43 PM']OK. I have had a look around the net. It seems that dual core AMD with latest Nvidia video drivers causes random hanging, whatever app you are using.

[post="58426"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It would appear so. Most games shouldn't show much difference between 78.xx and 81.xx. However I know that a few people might not be able to roll-back (For example, F.E.A.R. has severe issues on anything below 81.85 with a 7800 GTX I believe).

Posted 11/20/2005 07:03 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top