nForce 4 Data Corruption I/O errors when DMA too much stressed
  1 / 34    
Several of us have reported data corruption with nForce 4 based motherboards.
I'd like to share my experiences with you. I hope nVidia's experts read this
forum and finally offer us the right solution.

In short: some random data data corruption happens if a motherboard is
stressed with DMA transfers (about 2 or 3 bytes altered out of ~5 GBytes).
The operating system does not log any error.

You copy a file of some GBytes, you compare them e.g. with the "comp"
command in a DOS window, and the two files wont be the same. You repeat
comparing them: you may see different errors at different file offsets each
time. It seems to be a random error.
You can reproduce this error under Linux, too, e.g. SuSE 9.3.

I think the data corruption happens when the DMA writes the memory.
- If disk writes (DMA memory reads) were broken, then once the file copy is
carried out (with some errors), you would always see the same errors when
comparing the two files repeatedly.
- I moved a disk of mines to an "old" machine, I created some files (big RAR-s)
and I double-checked them on that machine.
Moving back, the files seem to be corrupted.

It is funny to see that it is always the byte at the offset hexadecimal 0x1d8
(out of the 512 = 0x200 byte long disk sectors) that is altered by 0x10, e.g.
0x2f becomes 0x3f or vice versa.

My HW-SW configuration:
- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MS-7125 ver: 1
- AMD Athlon 64 3700++
- 2 * 512 MByte Kingston DDR 400 MHz PC3200
- Leadtek PX6600 GT
- 2 * Maxtor DiamonMax Plus 10, 250 GBytes
- BIOS updated to 1.90, factory optimized defaults
- Windows XP pro + SP2 + nForce_amd_6.66.WinXP2K_international.exe
- SuSE Linux 9.3

The data corruption error can be reproduced with both RAID-ed and singe disks.

Just to make sure no other HW component can be blamed for this data
corruption, I changed:
- the CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000++ (the n-1 technology)
- the memory: no-name DIMs of 333 MHz
- the video card: an old Trio64 PCI
- the power supply: 2 of them from 2 other manufacturers
Needless to say that the data corruption error persists despite the speed
reduction of the machine.

For the log:
- The usual CPU temperature is about 35 Centigrade, the voltages are no
more that 2 % off from their nominal values.
- I tested the memory by the stand alone Memtest-86 v3.2 (e.g. on the
SuSE 9.3 install CD) for hours, no memory error could be detected.

I can reproduce this error by connecting my disks on both the S-ATA controller
built in to the nForce 4 chip set and on the Silicon Image's S-ATA-RAID controller
(I guess this latter is a PCI device happened to be soldered on the motherboard).
This is why I think it is the nForce 4 DMA logic (that is common for both of these
S-ATA controllers) that is responsible for this error.

I connected some P-ATA disks and some SCSI ones (via an NCR-875 card).
None of them suffered from the data corruption. Explanation: these disks stress
less the nForce 4 DMA logic due to their lower data rate.

Some of the posters suggested the the NCQ/TCQ would be the origin of the
data corruption. I set off the

Device Manager
...Nvidia nForce4 ADMA Controller Properties
......Primary and Secondary Channel
.........Enable Command Queuing

I compared some files of ~10 GBytes on a single disk: they did match.
Having become enthusiastic over the success, I compared files located on two
distinct disks. The deception was back: they were different.
The number of the differences were somewhat lower.

I organized my disks as RAID-0. In addition to switching off the command
queuing as before, I set off the

Device Manager
...Nvidia Stripe Properties
......SCSI Properties
.........Disable Tagged Queuing

It did not help.

I think by switching off the NCQ/TCQ, the error is not eliminated, only the
transfer rate is diminished.
If the nForce 4 DMA logic is sufficiently stressed, data corruption will happen.
Several of us have reported data corruption with nForce 4 based motherboards.

I'd like to share my experiences with you. I hope nVidia's experts read this

forum and finally offer us the right solution.

In short: some random data data corruption happens if a motherboard is

stressed with DMA transfers (about 2 or 3 bytes altered out of ~5 GBytes).

The operating system does not log any error.

You copy a file of some GBytes, you compare them e.g. with the "comp"

command in a DOS window, and the two files wont be the same. You repeat

comparing them: you may see different errors at different file offsets each

time. It seems to be a random error.

You can reproduce this error under Linux, too, e.g. SuSE 9.3.

I think the data corruption happens when the DMA writes the memory.

- If disk writes (DMA memory reads) were broken, then once the file copy is

comparing the two files repeatedly.

- I moved a disk of mines to an "old" machine, I created some files (big RAR-s)

and I double-checked them on that machine.

Moving back, the files seem to be corrupted.

It is funny to see that it is always the byte at the offset hexadecimal 0x1d8

(out of the 512 = 0x200 byte long disk sectors) that is altered by 0x10, e.g.

0x2f becomes 0x3f or vice versa.

My HW-SW configuration:

- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MS-7125 ver: 1

- AMD Athlon 64 3700++

- 2 * 512 MByte Kingston DDR 400 MHz PC3200

- Leadtek PX6600 GT

- 2 * Maxtor DiamonMax Plus 10, 250 GBytes

- BIOS updated to 1.90, factory optimized defaults

- Windows XP pro + SP2 + nForce_amd_6.66.WinXP2K_international.exe

- SuSE Linux 9.3

The data corruption error can be reproduced with both RAID-ed and singe disks.

Just to make sure no other HW component can be blamed for this data

corruption, I changed:

- the CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000++ (the n-1 technology)

- the memory: no-name DIMs of 333 MHz

- the video card: an old Trio64 PCI

- the power supply: 2 of them from 2 other manufacturers

Needless to say that the data corruption error persists despite the speed

reduction of the machine.

For the log:

- The usual CPU temperature is about 35 Centigrade, the voltages are no

more that 2 % off from their nominal values.

- I tested the memory by the stand alone Memtest-86 v3.2 (e.g. on the

SuSE 9.3 install CD) for hours, no memory error could be detected.

I can reproduce this error by connecting my disks on both the S-ATA controller

built in to the nForce 4 chip set and on the Silicon Image's S-ATA-RAID controller

(I guess this latter is a PCI device happened to be soldered on the motherboard).

This is why I think it is the nForce 4 DMA logic (that is common for both of these

S-ATA controllers) that is responsible for this error.

I connected some P-ATA disks and some SCSI ones (via an NCR-875 card).

None of them suffered from the data corruption. Explanation: these disks stress

less the nForce 4 DMA logic due to their lower data rate.

Some of the posters suggested the the NCQ/TCQ would be the origin of the

data corruption. I set off the

Device Manager

...Nvidia nForce4 ADMA Controller Properties

......Primary and Secondary Channel

.........Enable Command Queuing

I compared some files of ~10 GBytes on a single disk: they did match.

Having become enthusiastic over the success, I compared files located on two

distinct disks. The deception was back: they were different.

The number of the differences were somewhat lower.

I organized my disks as RAID-0. In addition to switching off the command

queuing as before, I set off the

Device Manager

...Nvidia Stripe Properties

......SCSI Properties

.........Disable Tagged Queuing

It did not help.

I think by switching off the NCQ/TCQ, the error is not eliminated, only the

transfer rate is diminished.

If the nForce 4 DMA logic is sufficiently stressed, data corruption will happen.

Posted 10/09/2005 03:53 PM   
I see that you are using Maxtor drives.. I know that some Maxtor SATA drives have some problems with nForce4 motherboards. If the hard drive were corrupting the data as it was being read, that would explain what you are seeing. It would be best if you could try some other model of SATA drive and see if the same problem shows up..

I am not seeing this problem on my A8N-SLI Deluxe with Seagate drives - I copied some 1GB files from drive to drive and did repeated "comp" on them, no differences were detected.
I see that you are using Maxtor drives.. I know that some Maxtor SATA drives have some problems with nForce4 motherboards. If the hard drive were corrupting the data as it was being read, that would explain what you are seeing. It would be best if you could try some other model of SATA drive and see if the same problem shows up..

I am not seeing this problem on my A8N-SLI Deluxe with Seagate drives - I copied some 1GB files from drive to drive and did repeated "comp" on them, no differences were detected.

Posted 10/12/2005 01:18 AM   
same error here, copied some 1 gig files.... 8 times the same file at the same time -> result? @comp: data corruption in 2 files ....

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Pro
Harddrive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250gb (same as you)...

do you have any solution yet?
same error here, copied some 1 gig files.... 8 times the same file at the same time -> result? @comp: data corruption in 2 files ....

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Pro

Harddrive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250gb (same as you)...

do you have any solution yet?

Posted 10/13/2005 10:59 PM   
I came to the same conclusion with my Asus A8N-SLI Premium & Hitachi SATA hard drives even with NCQ off if you stressed the IO system enough under RAID 0 it would crash with a blue screen of nvatabus.sys or make odd sounds like a hard drive trying to read a bad sector with the usual paging to non-existent drive D error in the event log.
(Full surface scans of all my hard drives say their is nothing wrong as does S.M.A.R.T)

I have 4 Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB hard drives coming that I intend to use in a RAID 5 array and see how they fair, I suspect not much will change.

It is disheartening to hear the problem is in the chipset I had hoped it was just isolated to the integrated controllers as I was willing to wait for the first PCI-E RAID controller that comes out and disable Nvidias integrated controllers entirely now I will probably have to switch motherboards unless Nvidia can produce a fix.
I came to the same conclusion with my Asus A8N-SLI Premium & Hitachi SATA hard drives even with NCQ off if you stressed the IO system enough under RAID 0 it would crash with a blue screen of nvatabus.sys or make odd sounds like a hard drive trying to read a bad sector with the usual paging to non-existent drive D error in the event log.

(Full surface scans of all my hard drives say their is nothing wrong as does S.M.A.R.T)

I have 4 Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB hard drives coming that I intend to use in a RAID 5 array and see how they fair, I suspect not much will change.

It is disheartening to hear the problem is in the chipset I had hoped it was just isolated to the integrated controllers as I was willing to wait for the first PCI-E RAID controller that comes out and disable Nvidias integrated controllers entirely now I will probably have to switch motherboards unless Nvidia can produce a fix.

Posted 10/15/2005 05:02 PM   
"You can reproduce this error under Linux, too, e.g. SuSE 9.3."

=> have you used nvida linux drivers too? or have you tried it without drivers?

if youve tried it without drivers, theres no (sofware) solution for it /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

i thought first it was working when turning off the raid controller...but its the same ;(

EDIT:

"- If disk writes (DMA memory reads) were broken, then once the file copy is
comparing the two files repeatedly."

Well, at mine the error is displayed at the same offset, if i check 1 file twice.. :o/
"You can reproduce this error under Linux, too, e.g. SuSE 9.3."

=> have you used nvida linux drivers too? or have you tried it without drivers?

if youve tried it without drivers, theres no (sofware) solution for it /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

i thought first it was working when turning off the raid controller...but its the same ;(

EDIT:

"- If disk writes (DMA memory reads) were broken, then once the file copy is

comparing the two files repeatedly."

Well, at mine the error is displayed at the same offset, if i check 1 file twice.. :o/

Posted 10/15/2005 08:42 PM   
I made a 10Gb copy and used windiff.exe (from MS Windows SDK) to compare the two directories. I found no problems. So I think Nforce4 is OK.
I made a 10Gb copy and used windiff.exe (from MS Windows SDK) to compare the two directories. I found no problems. So I think Nforce4 is OK.

Posted 10/15/2005 10:36 PM   
mario: try to copy one 5gb file 10 times at the same moment..btw.....it seems that you dant have an amxtor hdd?
mario: try to copy one 5gb file 10 times at the same moment..btw.....it seems that you dant have an amxtor hdd?

Posted 10/16/2005 06:40 AM   
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:40 AM']mario: try to copy one 5gb file 10 times at the same moment..btw.....it seems that you dant have an amxtor hdd?
[right][post="52983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You may see my signature for rig. I have two seagate hds raid0 ncq enabled. I have a slightly o/c rig DDR440 1:1 1T, 2420MHz cpu.
You asked me to copy a 5gb file ten times. This is not what you did I think. I did copy a 10gb directory once and it was OK. I am not going to write and compare 50Gbytes. This is going to take for ever. I am satisfied with the results I got. I also have 3 more Intel based rigs and they have had random corruption problems on a few cases in the past. This nforce4 rig is great. No problems at all here.
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:40 AM']mario: try to copy one 5gb file 10 times at the same moment..btw.....it seems that you dant have an amxtor hdd?

[post="52983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You may see my signature for rig. I have two seagate hds raid0 ncq enabled. I have a slightly o/c rig DDR440 1:1 1T, 2420MHz cpu.

You asked me to copy a 5gb file ten times. This is not what you did I think. I did copy a 10gb directory once and it was OK. I am not going to write and compare 50Gbytes. This is going to take for ever. I am satisfied with the results I got. I also have 3 more Intel based rigs and they have had random corruption problems on a few cases in the past. This nforce4 rig is great. No problems at all here.

Posted 10/16/2005 02:34 PM   
Complete opposite of my situation I have 3 Intel motherboards I can test with (845, 875 & 955) all of which are 100% rock solid with the same Hitachi hard drives that get corrupted if hooked up to the Asus nForce 4 motherboard and a look over Asus own support forums shows many others with the same problem or something related to the IO corruption like slow boots, lock up's, blue screens on the nvatabus.sys etc.

Also the fact the original posters board was an MSI model shows this isn't an isolated Asus issue and a trawl of many other tech sites shows more people all thinking that the data corruption or various hard drive problems they have are solved by turning off NCQ/TCQ but really their still there I'd bet.

I wish I was as lucky as you and didn't have these problems as its giving me nothing but a headache after spending a lot of money, maybe Nvidias nForce 4 chipset has compatibility issues with certain hard drives is so that's bad news for Nvidia but good news for Seagate /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> .
Complete opposite of my situation I have 3 Intel motherboards I can test with (845, 875 & 955) all of which are 100% rock solid with the same Hitachi hard drives that get corrupted if hooked up to the Asus nForce 4 motherboard and a look over Asus own support forums shows many others with the same problem or something related to the IO corruption like slow boots, lock up's, blue screens on the nvatabus.sys etc.

Also the fact the original posters board was an MSI model shows this isn't an isolated Asus issue and a trawl of many other tech sites shows more people all thinking that the data corruption or various hard drive problems they have are solved by turning off NCQ/TCQ but really their still there I'd bet.

I wish I was as lucky as you and didn't have these problems as its giving me nothing but a headache after spending a lot of money, maybe Nvidias nForce 4 chipset has compatibility issues with certain hard drives is so that's bad news for Nvidia but good news for Seagate /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' /> .

Posted 10/16/2005 03:30 PM   
well, here is how I tried it:

i copied an 4gb file 8 times....and ive done this copying of the 8 files at the same moment, so that the harddisk is fully used. if i copy them after and after, there isnt an error.....and i do the same thing when comparing then..
copying + checking @com ~20 mins

i think if you disable command queing, the hard disk is much slower and its not that much data transfered...
well, here is how I tried it:

i copied an 4gb file 8 times....and ive done this copying of the 8 files at the same moment, so that the harddisk is fully used. if i copy them after and after, there isnt an error.....and i do the same thing when comparing then..

i think if you disable command queing, the hard disk is much slower and its not that much data transfered...

Posted 10/16/2005 04:08 PM   
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:08 PM']well, here is how I tried it:

[right][post="53023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
OK I did it this way. I made four 4Gb zip files and copied them on another directory. Then I checked their Checksum Integrity numbers and they were all the same in pairs. (four checkings were running at the same time). No problems here once again. So your theory about nforce4 creating errors is wrong. This should happen on every case.

EDIT
I did it once again the way you said. I copied one 4Gb file to four different directories at the same time. Then I checked them all with fciv (file checksum Integrity Verifier) at the same time. I got the same number for all checks. This is not an extremely time consuming procedure. My system is O/Ced as I said before. I have taken a screenshot in case that you need it.
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:08 PM']well, here is how I tried it:

[post="53023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OK I did it this way. I made four 4Gb zip files and copied them on another directory. Then I checked their Checksum Integrity numbers and they were all the same in pairs. (four checkings were running at the same time). No problems here once again. So your theory about nforce4 creating errors is wrong. This should happen on every case.

EDIT

I did it once again the way you said. I copied one 4Gb file to four different directories at the same time. Then I checked them all with fciv (file checksum Integrity Verifier) at the same time. I got the same number for all checks. This is not an extremely time consuming procedure. My system is O/Ced as I said before. I have taken a screenshot in case that you need it.

Posted 10/16/2005 05:18 PM   
yep, then this error seams to only with some hard disks like the maxtor..
yep, then this error seams to only with some hard disks like the maxtor..

Posted 10/16/2005 05:40 PM   
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 08:40 PM']yep, then this error seams to only with some hard disks like the maxtor..
[right][post="53035"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I am not sure whether your Maxtor is the problem. As I said before I had this problem a couple of years ago on an Intel D850MV mobo RDRAM based rig (I still have it and boots real fast). I never was able to track this problem down even though I tried hard. I had a suspicion that the culprit was the power connector to my ATI 9700 (I got an ATI 9600XT and corruption went away. I put my 9700 on another PC and no corruption there. Strange?). My PSU was an 650W Enermax so this wasn't the problem. When I first made my nforce4 based system 10 months ago I had four x512 Corsair ValueSelect Dimms. I checked them with memtest96+ overnight and gave me no errors. Though I was getting corrupted files and restarts. Then I checked them with memtest96+ test number 10 and I got errors right away from the first run. I checked them one by one with test 10 and two of them had errors. I replaced them and everything was OK at DDR333 2T only. There are so many reasons why you get corrupted files. The way you install Windows, the updates you got, other pci cards, your PSU, the chipset nforce4 cooler (I use a big passive heatsing along with a 5cm fan at 4000rpm) and I only use my Marvell ethernet controller (not nvidia's). I have my disks connected on the Nvidia SATA controller. I have not installed NAM or Nvidia sound drivers. Both are somehow buggy I think (I have posted about nvidia sound drivers causing problems and there are many complains about NAM). I do not need them anyway.
[quote name='Metty' date='Oct 16 2005, 08:40 PM']yep, then this error seams to only with some hard disks like the maxtor..

[post="53035"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am not sure whether your Maxtor is the problem. As I said before I had this problem a couple of years ago on an Intel D850MV mobo RDRAM based rig (I still have it and boots real fast). I never was able to track this problem down even though I tried hard. I had a suspicion that the culprit was the power connector to my ATI 9700 (I got an ATI 9600XT and corruption went away. I put my 9700 on another PC and no corruption there. Strange?). My PSU was an 650W Enermax so this wasn't the problem. When I first made my nforce4 based system 10 months ago I had four x512 Corsair ValueSelect Dimms. I checked them with memtest96+ overnight and gave me no errors. Though I was getting corrupted files and restarts. Then I checked them with memtest96+ test number 10 and I got errors right away from the first run. I checked them one by one with test 10 and two of them had errors. I replaced them and everything was OK at DDR333 2T only. There are so many reasons why you get corrupted files. The way you install Windows, the updates you got, other pci cards, your PSU, the chipset nforce4 cooler (I use a big passive heatsing along with a 5cm fan at 4000rpm) and I only use my Marvell ethernet controller (not nvidia's). I have my disks connected on the Nvidia SATA controller. I have not installed NAM or Nvidia sound drivers. Both are somehow buggy I think (I have posted about nvidia sound drivers causing problems and there are many complains about NAM). I do not need them anyway.

Posted 10/16/2005 06:06 PM   
I already tested all the hardware that has the nForce 4 motherboard interfaces with the other Intel boards I have and don't get any data corruption. I have run memtest+ and Microsoft Windows RAM tester for 24hrs each and no errors reported.

The nForce 4 setup doesn't even have an PCI cards installed and the problems occur with or without the NVIDIA LAN controller enabled (yes I did a clean install both times to be sure in fact I have done so many clean installs from when I did not understand what the underlying problem was I never want to look at the blue install screen of XP ever again), I literally have spent days at this trying everything a different way to no success though I did at least resolve the slow boot problem.

I can only conclude that the nForce 4 chipset has compatibility problems with at least Hitachi and Maxtor SATA hard drives. I will be able to at least confirm if the problem persists with Maxtor drives & my motherboard as I have 4 coming next week.
I already tested all the hardware that has the nForce 4 motherboard interfaces with the other Intel boards I have and don't get any data corruption. I have run memtest+ and Microsoft Windows RAM tester for 24hrs each and no errors reported.

The nForce 4 setup doesn't even have an PCI cards installed and the problems occur with or without the NVIDIA LAN controller enabled (yes I did a clean install both times to be sure in fact I have done so many clean installs from when I did not understand what the underlying problem was I never want to look at the blue install screen of XP ever again), I literally have spent days at this trying everything a different way to no success though I did at least resolve the slow boot problem.

I can only conclude that the nForce 4 chipset has compatibility problems with at least Hitachi and Maxtor SATA hard drives. I will be able to at least confirm if the problem persists with Maxtor drives & my motherboard as I have 4 coming next week.

Posted 10/16/2005 06:38 PM   
[quote name='Next88' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:38 PM']I already tested all the hardware that has the nForce 4 motherboard interfaces with the other Intel boards I have and don't get any data corruption. I have run memtest+ and Microsoft Windows RAM tester for 24hrs each and no errors reported.

[right][post="53040"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]Did you try to use relaxed memory settings? Try DDR333 (divider) 2T. Did you update your BIOS? (for ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe the latest is v1014). Did you make a floppy disk with Nvidia's 6.66 SATA drivers and use it during installation (you need to press F6 real fast). Do you have a Windows XPSP2 installation disk? (if not make one). Use only original CDs. Never use Internet packs with all updates intergrated. Did you install all M$ updates from the Internet? There are so many other things to do like installing UPHClean from M$. When I say clean install I mean avoid buggy programs like Norton AV and firewalls. Just use Windows firewall. I use Avast antivirus (though I have bought the original Norton 2005 AV). Avast was working during the 16 Gb copy verify job I mentioned before and I was writing posts on the Internet at the same time.
[quote name='Next88' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:38 PM']I already tested all the hardware that has the nForce 4 motherboard interfaces with the other Intel boards I have and don't get any data corruption. I have run memtest+ and Microsoft Windows RAM tester for 24hrs each and no errors reported.

[post="53040"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Did you try to use relaxed memory settings? Try DDR333 (divider) 2T. Did you update your BIOS? (for ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe the latest is v1014). Did you make a floppy disk with Nvidia's 6.66 SATA drivers and use it during installation (you need to press F6 real fast). Do you have a Windows XPSP2 installation disk? (if not make one). Use only original CDs. Never use Internet packs with all updates intergrated. Did you install all M$ updates from the Internet? There are so many other things to do like installing UPHClean from M$. When I say clean install I mean avoid buggy programs like Norton AV and firewalls. Just use Windows firewall. I use Avast antivirus (though I have bought the original Norton 2005 AV). Avast was working during the 16 Gb copy verify job I mentioned before and I was writing posts on the Internet at the same time.

Posted 10/16/2005 06:52 PM   
  1 / 34    
Scroll To Top