Network Access Manager Installation problems
I hope some nVidia gurus out there can solve my current problem. Bear with me as I explain my problems in getting the latest Network Access Manager firewall software installed on my machine (running Windows XP Professional BTW):

I first uninstalled the previous version that I had installed from my motherboards CD Rom, then ran the nForce update I downloaded from the ASUS website. The main drivers in this nForce update installed fine but whenever I try to install the Network Access Manager firewall software I now get the following message:

"The installed version of this software is different than the current setup you're running. Please uninstall the previous version before installing this version. Do you wish to uninstall the old version now? (Please reboot after reinstalling)."

Firstly, I already uninstalled the previous version so for some reason it still thinks I have the old version installed. Secondly, when I click on the Yes button to the message prompt in the message asking if I want to uninstall the previous version, I then get the following error message:

"Could not get old installer uninstallstring"

At this point installation aborts and I have to click on Finish. So the upshot is that for some reason, the installer program for Network Access Manager still thinks I have an older version installed. That's not the case. I uninstalled that before running the nForce update. It's certaainly not showing in my Add/Remove Programs listing and I've even gone to the trouble to make sure the old Network Access Manager version folder is deleted from my Programs folder.

After I got this problem I also tried making sure there were no entries in the registry that might be fooling the update into thinking an older version is still installed. I could not find any entries for an older version so I fail to see why I'm being prevented from installing this new version.

I've even tried to reinstall the older version from the CD I got with my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard buit I keep getting the same error messages as above.

What is it with nVidia drivers and installer programs? I've seen lots of third-party driver-cleaning utilities on many websites. Is there some problem with nVidia simply writing installer tools that do all that for you in the first place :)

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Regards

- DE
I hope some nVidia gurus out there can solve my current problem. Bear with me as I explain my problems in getting the latest Network Access Manager firewall software installed on my machine (running Windows XP Professional BTW):

I first uninstalled the previous version that I had installed from my motherboards CD Rom, then ran the nForce update I downloaded from the ASUS website. The main drivers in this nForce update installed fine but whenever I try to install the Network Access Manager firewall software I now get the following message:

"The installed version of this software is different than the current setup you're running. Please uninstall the previous version before installing this version. Do you wish to uninstall the old version now? (Please reboot after reinstalling)."

Firstly, I already uninstalled the previous version so for some reason it still thinks I have the old version installed. Secondly, when I click on the Yes button to the message prompt in the message asking if I want to uninstall the previous version, I then get the following error message:

At this point installation aborts and I have to click on Finish. So the upshot is that for some reason, the installer program for Network Access Manager still thinks I have an older version installed. That's not the case. I uninstalled that before running the nForce update. It's certaainly not showing in my Add/Remove Programs listing and I've even gone to the trouble to make sure the old Network Access Manager version folder is deleted from my Programs folder.

After I got this problem I also tried making sure there were no entries in the registry that might be fooling the update into thinking an older version is still installed. I could not find any entries for an older version so I fail to see why I'm being prevented from installing this new version.

I've even tried to reinstall the older version from the CD I got with my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard buit I keep getting the same error messages as above.

What is it with nVidia drivers and installer programs? I've seen lots of third-party driver-cleaning utilities on many websites. Is there some problem with nVidia simply writing installer tools that do all that for you in the first place :)

Regards

- DE

Posted 08/12/2005 02:29 PM   
[quote name='darrene' date='Aug 12 2005, 09:29 AM']I hope some nVidia gurus out there can solve my current problem. Bear with me as I explain my problems in getting the latest Network Access Manager firewall software installed on my machine (running Windows XP Professional BTW):

Regards

- DE
[right][post="45983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm with you bro, I don't see why their uninstall programs can't clean all of the drivers out for you. I am a programmer, so I understand this stuff, it shouldn't be that hard for them to incorparate it.
[quote name='darrene' date='Aug 12 2005, 09:29 AM']I hope some nVidia gurus out there can solve my current problem. Bear with me as I explain my problems in getting the latest Network Access Manager firewall software installed on my machine (running Windows XP Professional BTW):

Regards

- DE

[post="45983"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm with you bro, I don't see why their uninstall programs can't clean all of the drivers out for you. I am a programmer, so I understand this stuff, it shouldn't be that hard for them to incorparate it.

Posted 08/12/2005 05:38 PM   
Use DriverCleaner 1.2 Pro, (here: [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net/"]http://www.drivercleaner.net/[/url] ). Install it, from windows, uninstall all chipset drivers, NAM drivers, reboot into Safe Mode, cancel Hadware detected wizards and run DriverCleaner with appropriate filters. When using DriverCleaner, first clean .CAB file first. This is a special filter that rebuilds your .CAB files back to a clean fresh XP install state. RFTM first for DrvierCleaner.

Boot back to XP, cancel Hardware Wizards, install new drivers using nVidia's .exe package. Download the 6.66 drivers from nVidia's site. The 6.66 drivers run very well. Also, turn off XP's firewall as you load the chipset drivers and the NAM driver. What I like about nVidia's install program, is that you can chose from a menu what to install at that moment. First install the chipset drivers, reboot, then install NAM by itself.
Use DriverCleaner 1.2 Pro, (here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ). Install it, from windows, uninstall all chipset drivers, NAM drivers, reboot into Safe Mode, cancel Hadware detected wizards and run DriverCleaner with appropriate filters. When using DriverCleaner, first clean .CAB file first. This is a special filter that rebuilds your .CAB files back to a clean fresh XP install state. RFTM first for DrvierCleaner.

Boot back to XP, cancel Hardware Wizards, install new drivers using nVidia's .exe package. Download the 6.66 drivers from nVidia's site. The 6.66 drivers run very well. Also, turn off XP's firewall as you load the chipset drivers and the NAM driver. What I like about nVidia's install program, is that you can chose from a menu what to install at that moment. First install the chipset drivers, reboot, then install NAM by itself.

Posted 08/13/2005 01:44 PM   
[quote name='Sailindawg' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:44 PM']Use DriverCleaner 1.2 Pro, (here: [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net/"]http://www.drivercleaner.net/[/url] ).  Install it, from windows, uninstall all chipset drivers, NAM drivers, reboot into Safe Mode, cancel Hadware detected wizards and run DriverCleaner with appropriate filters.  When using DriverCleaner, first clean .CAB file first.  This is a special filter that rebuilds your .CAB files back to a clean fresh XP install state.  RFTM first for DrvierCleaner. 

Boot back to XP, cancel Hardware Wizards, install new drivers using nVidia's .exe package.  Download the 6.66 drivers from nVidia's site.  The 6.66 drivers run very well.  Also, turn off XP's firewall as you load the chipset drivers and the NAM driver.  What I like about nVidia's install program, is that you can chose from a menu what to install at that moment.  First install the chipset drivers, reboot, then install NAM by itself.
[right][post="46132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks for pointing out DriverCleaner. I followed your suggestions but I still get the same issue as explained in my original post. I'm verging on taking out this nForce motherboard and snapping it in half and going back to a VIA-based or Intel chipset. And I'll probably also go with ATI for graphics in future out of pure spite :)

Is there no way to contact Nvidia and tell them to pull their finger out and write installer tools properly? I've only ever had install program problems with nvidia drivers and now we have chipset driver misery too, no wonder so many third party nvidia driver destroyer utilities are around.

Nvidia need to clean up it's own drivers within its own installers. Not too much to ask is it?

Thanks for your help up to now people. Any other ideas before I resort to reinstalling Windows XP :)
[quote name='Sailindawg' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:44 PM']Use DriverCleaner 1.2 Pro, (here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ).  Install it, from windows, uninstall all chipset drivers, NAM drivers, reboot into Safe Mode, cancel Hadware detected wizards and run DriverCleaner with appropriate filters.  When using DriverCleaner, first clean .CAB file first.  This is a special filter that rebuilds your .CAB files back to a clean fresh XP install state.  RFTM first for DrvierCleaner. 

Boot back to XP, cancel Hardware Wizards, install new drivers using nVidia's .exe package.  Download the 6.66 drivers from nVidia's site.  The 6.66 drivers run very well.  Also, turn off XP's firewall as you load the chipset drivers and the NAM driver.  What I like about nVidia's install program, is that you can chose from a menu what to install at that moment.  First install the chipset drivers, reboot, then install NAM by itself.

[post="46132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks for pointing out DriverCleaner. I followed your suggestions but I still get the same issue as explained in my original post. I'm verging on taking out this nForce motherboard and snapping it in half and going back to a VIA-based or Intel chipset. And I'll probably also go with ATI for graphics in future out of pure spite :)

Is there no way to contact Nvidia and tell them to pull their finger out and write installer tools properly? I've only ever had install program problems with nvidia drivers and now we have chipset driver misery too, no wonder so many third party nvidia driver destroyer utilities are around.

Nvidia need to clean up it's own drivers within its own installers. Not too much to ask is it?

Thanks for your help up to now people. Any other ideas before I resort to reinstalling Windows XP :)

Posted 08/25/2005 12:02 PM   
Scroll To Top