GT GTX GTS
I remember there used to be Geforce 2 GTS, afterwards Geforce 3 and 4 came out and they made use of the Titanium name, Geforce 5 was FX.

Now with 6 series and 7 series GT is back again with 6800GT, 7800GTX etc.

[color="red"]I was wondering what GT, GTX, GTS actually all mean?[/color]

Does it mean GreaT or something like that?

Thank you.
I remember there used to be Geforce 2 GTS, afterwards Geforce 3 and 4 came out and they made use of the Titanium name, Geforce 5 was FX.

Now with 6 series and 7 series GT is back again with 6800GT, 7800GTX etc.

I was wondering what GT, GTX, GTS actually all mean?

Does it mean GreaT or something like that?

Thank you.

Posted 07/30/2005 05:19 PM   
all 3 are borrowed from automotive marketing - a gt car like mustang GT - a gts car - had a celica GTS once and gtx - was from 60''s - plymouth sattelite GTX - think the g stands for gran and the t for turismo - gran turismo or grand touring...
all 3 are borrowed from automotive marketing - a gt car like mustang GT - a gts car - had a celica GTS once and gtx - was from 60''s - plymouth sattelite GTX - think the g stands for gran and the t for turismo - gran turismo or grand touring...

Posted 07/31/2005 05:58 PM   
GTS means "giga-texel shading" in the old GF2 GTS, it was the first GPU to break the 1 bilion (giga) texels/sec fillrate barrier. The "titanium" name in GF3 and 4 families named the higher-end models which were shader-capable, except GF2 Titanium, a beefed-up GF2 GTS, and GF3 Ti200 and Ti500, because the GF3 family had no low-end MX brothers like GF4 MX (an updated and much faster clocked GF2 MX) was for the GF4 Ti models. GF5 aka FX got their name because it was the first chip using 3dfx technology, especially FSAA ones, which was great on the voodoo5. Mainly because of nvidia's GPUs, 3dFX died and their technology was bought also by nvidia, in 2000-2001 (RIP 3dfx, we won't forget you :'( ). In the 6 series GT names a higher end model, a much faster version of the same vanilla chip (just like it is with cars, a GT or anything starting with GT is a faster and better equipped model). But there still is a Ultra version of the 6800, naming the absolute best card in the series. Now with the 7 series, GTX means higher than GT (something like GT Xtreme i think :) ). There will be a 7800 GT model, but it's also rumoured that "Ultra" is not dead, a 7800 Ultra could appear after ATI's R520 "Fudo" launch, it depends on how fast will the canadians' card will end up.
I hope you enjoyed reading this small piece of history /smile2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':))' />
GTS means "giga-texel shading" in the old GF2 GTS, it was the first GPU to break the 1 bilion (giga) texels/sec fillrate barrier. The "titanium" name in GF3 and 4 families named the higher-end models which were shader-capable, except GF2 Titanium, a beefed-up GF2 GTS, and GF3 Ti200 and Ti500, because the GF3 family had no low-end MX brothers like GF4 MX (an updated and much faster clocked GF2 MX) was for the GF4 Ti models. GF5 aka FX got their name because it was the first chip using 3dfx technology, especially FSAA ones, which was great on the voodoo5. Mainly because of nvidia's GPUs, 3dFX died and their technology was bought also by nvidia, in 2000-2001 (RIP 3dfx, we won't forget you :'( ). In the 6 series GT names a higher end model, a much faster version of the same vanilla chip (just like it is with cars, a GT or anything starting with GT is a faster and better equipped model). But there still is a Ultra version of the 6800, naming the absolute best card in the series. Now with the 7 series, GTX means higher than GT (something like GT Xtreme i think :) ). There will be a 7800 GT model, but it's also rumoured that "Ultra" is not dead, a 7800 Ultra could appear after ATI's R520 "Fudo" launch, it depends on how fast will the canadians' card will end up.

I hope you enjoyed reading this small piece of history /smile2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':))' />

"All in all you''re just another brick in the wall"

Posted 07/31/2005 07:51 PM   
Yes was a good read.

So why did they stop the GT in the Geforce 3, 4 and 5 series? Did they hire someone else for marketing or something?
Yes was a good read.

So why did they stop the GT in the Geforce 3, 4 and 5 series? Did they hire someone else for marketing or something?

Posted 07/31/2005 10:00 PM   
after the gf2 maybe they thought a gigatexel is not that much of a big deal, thingss were going up anyway. The gigatexel was something like a psychological barrier, like the AMD Athlon's 1 GHz back in 2000. And they started to call the high-end "titanium" because it sounded cool (and it does :D ). And they called the fifth generation "FX' not only because the 3dfx legacy, but also because they claimed it was the first "cinematic effects" GPU. But we all know what followed, the fx could deliver very high quality graphics, but at very poor performance. Long story short, it sucked at shaders. I don't know what made nvidia change their names and suffixes, and now they start to change their codenames aswell. from NVxx they went to Gxx, who knows why and what will follow ? Personally, i don't care. When I want to buy a video card, I do some research before. Try not to get confused by all this name thing, it looks like it became a trend and not only for nvidia gpus.
after the gf2 maybe they thought a gigatexel is not that much of a big deal, thingss were going up anyway. The gigatexel was something like a psychological barrier, like the AMD Athlon's 1 GHz back in 2000. And they started to call the high-end "titanium" because it sounded cool (and it does :D ). And they called the fifth generation "FX' not only because the 3dfx legacy, but also because they claimed it was the first "cinematic effects" GPU. But we all know what followed, the fx could deliver very high quality graphics, but at very poor performance. Long story short, it sucked at shaders. I don't know what made nvidia change their names and suffixes, and now they start to change their codenames aswell. from NVxx they went to Gxx, who knows why and what will follow ? Personally, i don't care. When I want to buy a video card, I do some research before. Try not to get confused by all this name thing, it looks like it became a trend and not only for nvidia gpus.

"All in all you''re just another brick in the wall"

Posted 07/31/2005 11:03 PM   
At least they are better than 'All In Wonder'. Whats that supposed to mean anyways?
At least they are better than 'All In Wonder'. Whats that supposed to mean anyways?

Posted 08/01/2005 08:43 PM   
[quote name='TGC' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:43 PM']At least they are better than 'All In Wonder'. Whats that supposed to mean anyways?
[right][post="44608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You[color="red"] wonder [/color]how they put all this thing in one card:

tv tuner, vivo, s video, and fast GPU.
[quote name='TGC' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:43 PM']At least they are better than 'All In Wonder'. Whats that supposed to mean anyways?

[post="44608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You wonder how they put all this thing in one card:

tv tuner, vivo, s video, and fast GPU.

Posted 08/01/2005 09:37 PM   
I [color="red"]wonder[/color] how they managed to survive after that long time of horrific drviers that ultimately forced me to nVidia.
I wonder how they managed to survive after that long time of horrific drviers that ultimately forced me to nVidia.

Posted 08/02/2005 10:20 AM   
Yes I hate ATI drivers even today, I don''t want to install Microsoft NET
Yes I hate ATI drivers even today, I don''t want to install Microsoft NET

Posted 08/02/2005 11:56 AM   
Scroll To Top