power supply for 6800gt 256mb
ok im thinking about getting a 6800gt @256mb and i have a 350watt PSU. i have heard that this card sucks up a lot of power so i was wondering if my 350watt PSU will be ok or should i get a higher watt PSU?
thanks for any help.
ok im thinking about getting a 6800gt @256mb and i have a 350watt PSU. i have heard that this card sucks up a lot of power so i was wondering if my 350watt PSU will be ok or should i get a higher watt PSU?

thanks for any help.

Posted 06/19/2005 12:08 AM   
Ok alot of people have problems with nvidia and its power requirements, even me I bought the same card thinking it will work fine and no problems awesome fps in all games yes! well in the real world my old 350 power supply was not enough to play games for more than 10 minutes without crashing, Yes 350 watts is enough to turn on the card, but definately not enough to push it I bought a new case with new power supply and behold all problems went away. do yourself a favor if you want a high dollar graphics card , get the gt but also get atleast a 500 watt psu so you will no that you have the power not just always think at the back of your mind that if you had more power your graphics would be better cause more power equals more fps. I know I said also how could a better name brand power supply give me better fps, thats impossible but it does believe me and I''m sure others will agree don''t ponder just get a better one .
Ok alot of people have problems with nvidia and its power requirements, even me I bought the same card thinking it will work fine and no problems awesome fps in all games yes! well in the real world my old 350 power supply was not enough to play games for more than 10 minutes without crashing, Yes 350 watts is enough to turn on the card, but definately not enough to push it I bought a new case with new power supply and behold all problems went away. do yourself a favor if you want a high dollar graphics card , get the gt but also get atleast a 500 watt psu so you will no that you have the power not just always think at the back of your mind that if you had more power your graphics would be better cause more power equals more fps. I know I said also how could a better name brand power supply give me better fps, thats impossible but it does believe me and I''m sure others will agree don''t ponder just get a better one .

amd 64-bit 3800 newcastle core
bfg 6800 gt overclocked 409=1.11 ghz
1024mb kingston valueram pc 3200 dual channel
Hitachi 160 gb deskstar ultra ata hard drive
asus A8V deluxe AI series AGP motherboard
Enermax 480 psu
Zalman all copper with blue leds hsf
4 case fans 2 vga fans 2 psu fans all lighted
dual 16x double layer dvdrw''s 1 sony 1 nec
Sony noice cancelling headphones lol

Posted 06/19/2005 02:08 AM   
A good PSU is one of the most important things in a case these days. Look for a high quality PSU manufacturer and whatever you do, stay away from low budget PSUs! Go for OCZ, Antec, etc.

In order for your card to work properly you gotta have a stable 12V rail, and it should be at least 24A for optimal stable running. If a PSU manufacturer refuses to give you any A numbers on their rails: RUN AWAY!

Also, don''t get stuck at the wattage number. A great 350W PSU with a stable 12V rail and high amperage is actually tons better than a 500W no-name brand PSU with crap amperage and stability.

I have run a Leadtek 6800GT overclocked to Ultra specs without problems with a 350W PSU. Of course, when I upgraded the mobo and cpu to AMD64 I also upgraded the PSU.

Good luck. There are a few great articles on the web on PSUs and reviews. Happy hunting!
A good PSU is one of the most important things in a case these days. Look for a high quality PSU manufacturer and whatever you do, stay away from low budget PSUs! Go for OCZ, Antec, etc.

In order for your card to work properly you gotta have a stable 12V rail, and it should be at least 24A for optimal stable running. If a PSU manufacturer refuses to give you any A numbers on their rails: RUN AWAY!

Also, don''t get stuck at the wattage number. A great 350W PSU with a stable 12V rail and high amperage is actually tons better than a 500W no-name brand PSU with crap amperage and stability.

I have run a Leadtek 6800GT overclocked to Ultra specs without problems with a 350W PSU. Of course, when I upgraded the mobo and cpu to AMD64 I also upgraded the PSU.

Good luck. There are a few great articles on the web on PSUs and reviews. Happy hunting!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, AMD64 3200+@2.5Ghz, 2xGEIL pc3200 512mb, Leadtek 6800GT@420/1140, Antec True480, Audigy2 zs - software modded to a Audigy4.

Posted 06/19/2005 07:01 AM   
ok thanks guys, im gonna go ahead and get the 6800 gt and see how it runs with my current PSU but ill probably end up getting a better PSU.
ok thanks guys, im gonna go ahead and get the 6800 gt and see how it runs with my current PSU but ill probably end up getting a better PSU.

Posted 06/19/2005 03:14 PM   
Get an Antec, Enermax or an OCZ. Never get close to Rosewill. It sux. It will crash your system everytime you play games.
Get an Antec, Enermax or an OCZ. Never get close to Rosewill. It sux. It will crash your system everytime you play games.

Posted 06/20/2005 04:06 AM   
Scroll To Top