Nvidia network controller/NIC problems - POST HERE Problems with nvidia network port
  1 / 23    
I've been reading about several others that have had different problems with the on board NIC port controlled by the Nvidia network controller so I decided to try and compile a list of all the problems and solutions.

Here's mine:
I had my Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI up and running for a couple months with no problems. One day I was surfin the web and all the sudden my Nvidia ethernet port went spastic. It kept changing between "connected" and "cable unplugged" every second. It kept doing this until I either unplugged the cable or disabled the port. I tried to update the drivers according to Gigabyte with the latest standalone kit but ended up having to install manually because it would give a BSOD on restart. At the same time I updated the drivers before I restarted I shut the PC down and unplugged the power supply for a few minutes as a fix I read on the forum. It ran fine for this past week then all the sudden the problem came back just as unexpected as before.. :'( Had to switch to the Marvell port.
Any one else have a problem like this? The only thing I did differently with my system from any other time was to actually suspend windows instead of shuting it down. :unsure:
I've been reading about several others that have had different problems with the on board NIC port controlled by the Nvidia network controller so I decided to try and compile a list of all the problems and solutions.

Here's mine:

I had my Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI up and running for a couple months with no problems. One day I was surfin the web and all the sudden my Nvidia ethernet port went spastic. It kept changing between "connected" and "cable unplugged" every second. It kept doing this until I either unplugged the cable or disabled the port. I tried to update the drivers according to Gigabyte with the latest standalone kit but ended up having to install manually because it would give a BSOD on restart. At the same time I updated the drivers before I restarted I shut the PC down and unplugged the power supply for a few minutes as a fix I read on the forum. It ran fine for this past week then all the sudden the problem came back just as unexpected as before.. :'( Had to switch to the Marvell port.

Any one else have a problem like this? The only thing I did differently with my system from any other time was to actually suspend windows instead of shuting it down. :unsure:

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (F6)
AMD 3500+ Winchester
OCZ Platinum rev.2 DDR 512x2
Gigabyte 6600GT NX66T128VP (71.89)
2x WD 74G Raptors RAID 0 (nForce SATA)
OCZ Modstream 520W
Windows XP SP1
Forceware ver.
NO firewall NO NAM

Posted 05/25/2005 10:34 PM   
at least half of the topics in this category are related to network related issues with the nforce nic and or the firewall and or sata. all three are related usually as the nvidia nic and one channel of the sata controller share the same interupt and this seems to be the source of most of nvidia''s problems, who am i kidding its every one elses problem since nvidia probably uses nice stable via chipset manchines to work with. :P anyway with that little jab out of the way your suspend / resume problems are something i havent hard of before but since hardware has to work perfectly with the drivers for suspend / resume and other power management features to work properly its not supprising to hear about a problem like that.
at least half of the topics in this category are related to network related issues with the nforce nic and or the firewall and or sata. all three are related usually as the nvidia nic and one channel of the sata controller share the same interupt and this seems to be the source of most of nvidia''s problems, who am i kidding its every one elses problem since nvidia probably uses nice stable via chipset manchines to work with. :P anyway with that little jab out of the way your suspend / resume problems are something i havent hard of before but since hardware has to work perfectly with the drivers for suspend / resume and other power management features to work properly its not supprising to hear about a problem like that.

Posted 05/25/2005 11:09 PM   
[quote name='OldeCrow' date='May 25 2005, 05:09 PM']at least half of the topics in this category are related to network related issues with the nforce nic and or the firewall and or sata. all three are related usually as the nvidia nic and one channel of the sata controller share the same interupt and this seems to be the source of most of nvidia''s problems, who am i kidding its every one elses problem since nvidia probably uses nice stable via chipset manchines to work with.  :P anyway with that little jab out of the way your suspend / resume problems are something i havent hard of before but since hardware has to work perfectly with the drivers for suspend / resume and other power management features to work properly its not supprising to hear about a problem like that.
[right][post="34351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

After reading more of the threads I realized there are alot of posts about the firewall and NAM. I was thinking that there were enough separate issues about the NIC that there could be a separate "post all" thread.

Since you say they are all related because of the interupts then do people who aren't running SATA or the Firewall have less or no problems at all?

I am running SATA drives but haven't installed the Firewall or NAM. It's just wierd that for 2 months it was fine then all the sudden within a week or so it's acted up twice...
[quote name='OldeCrow' date='May 25 2005, 05:09 PM']at least half of the topics in this category are related to network related issues with the nforce nic and or the firewall and or sata. all three are related usually as the nvidia nic and one channel of the sata controller share the same interupt and this seems to be the source of most of nvidia''s problems, who am i kidding its every one elses problem since nvidia probably uses nice stable via chipset manchines to work with.  :P anyway with that little jab out of the way your suspend / resume problems are something i havent hard of before but since hardware has to work perfectly with the drivers for suspend / resume and other power management features to work properly its not supprising to hear about a problem like that.

[post="34351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

After reading more of the threads I realized there are alot of posts about the firewall and NAM. I was thinking that there were enough separate issues about the NIC that there could be a separate "post all" thread.

Since you say they are all related because of the interupts then do people who aren't running SATA or the Firewall have less or no problems at all?

I am running SATA drives but haven't installed the Firewall or NAM. It's just wierd that for 2 months it was fine then all the sudden within a week or so it's acted up twice...

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (F6)
AMD 3500+ Winchester
OCZ Modstream 520W
Windows XP SP1
Forceware ver.
NO firewall NO NAM

Posted 05/26/2005 06:15 PM   
well your problem does sould a little different than the usuall firewall / nic / sata problems. If you only have the problem after a suspend / resume its likely a bios problem or a driver problem. There are some problems with SATA drives waking up from suspend or sleep. The only option i can offer is to not use the suspend features and see if you see if you still have the problem.

You might also try disableing power management for the network card. you can find it in the power management tab for the driver in the device manager.
well your problem does sould a little different than the usuall firewall / nic / sata problems. If you only have the problem after a suspend / resume its likely a bios problem or a driver problem. There are some problems with SATA drives waking up from suspend or sleep. The only option i can offer is to not use the suspend features and see if you see if you still have the problem.

You might also try disableing power management for the network card. you can find it in the power management tab for the driver in the device manager.

Posted 05/26/2005 08:43 PM   
Since you said it''s a firewall / nic / sata problem does it matter which SATA controller you''re running off of? I have mine running off the Nvidia controller. Has anyone had any problems with this situation while connected only to the Sil controller? I would think that the more "features" you get off of the nforce chip then the less problems you might run into...

Thanks for your help so far!

[i]Edit: I disabled the power management like you said and also disabled the WakeOnLAN from Power Off under the Advanced tab. For some reason when I made the last change the port changed from "cable unplugged" to "connected" and then back to "cable unplugged" since there was no cable attatched to the port. So all is good again...we'll see how long it lasts this time.[/i]
Since you said it''s a firewall / nic / sata problem does it matter which SATA controller you''re running off of? I have mine running off the Nvidia controller. Has anyone had any problems with this situation while connected only to the Sil controller? I would think that the more "features" you get off of the nforce chip then the less problems you might run into...

Thanks for your help so far!

Edit: I disabled the power management like you said and also disabled the WakeOnLAN from Power Off under the Advanced tab. For some reason when I made the last change the port changed from "cable unplugged" to "connected" and then back to "cable unplugged" since there was no cable attatched to the port. So all is good again...we'll see how long it lasts this time.

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (F6)
AMD 3500+ Winchester
OCZ Modstream 520W
Windows XP SP1
Forceware ver.
NO firewall NO NAM

Posted 05/26/2005 11:15 PM   
I have had a problem with the nVidia NIC since I purchased the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The specific problem I have is that when my computer is left idle, the computer will BSOD.

The BSOD relates to nvtcp.sys. The computer is usually downloading at the time. I have tried the latest nForce 4 standalone package, on Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP x64 Edition.

The nvfirewall was also installed.

My only solution is to disable the nvidia NIC and use the marvell NIC instead, but that is not really acceptible.
I have had a problem with the nVidia NIC since I purchased the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The specific problem I have is that when my computer is left idle, the computer will BSOD.

The BSOD relates to nvtcp.sys. The computer is usually downloading at the time. I have tried the latest nForce 4 standalone package, on Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP x64 Edition.

The nvfirewall was also installed.

My only solution is to disable the nvidia NIC and use the marvell NIC instead, but that is not really acceptible.

A64 X2 4400+ | Asus A8N32-SLI DX | 2gb DDR | 7800GTX
WD Raptor 74gb & DMax 300gb | NEC 4550A 16x DVD-RW
Lian-Li PC-7A Plus | Enermax Liberty 620W
Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19"

Posted 05/27/2005 11:41 AM   
@ ~nightcrawler~ & tutu

I havent enabled the sil controler on my machine yet to see what interupts it uses but i do know that half the nvidia SATA controler uses the same interupt as the nvidia nic so if you only have two SATA drives you can move them from the first channel to the second and you can figure out which is which in the device manager by looking at the resources for each ADMA controler and which one has which drives on it. simply move your drives from the ADMA controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic to the other ADMA controler. you could even disable the ADMA controler in the device manager thats shareing the interupt with the nvidia nic if you want.
you can also try moving them to the sil controler.

tutu your bsod was probably related to the firewall itself, you can uninstall the firewall or try one of the above mentioned SATA solutions to see if getting away from the controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic will help.
@ ~nightcrawler~ & tutu

I havent enabled the sil controler on my machine yet to see what interupts it uses but i do know that half the nvidia SATA controler uses the same interupt as the nvidia nic so if you only have two SATA drives you can move them from the first channel to the second and you can figure out which is which in the device manager by looking at the resources for each ADMA controler and which one has which drives on it. simply move your drives from the ADMA controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic to the other ADMA controler. you could even disable the ADMA controler in the device manager thats shareing the interupt with the nvidia nic if you want.

tutu your bsod was probably related to the firewall itself, you can uninstall the firewall or try one of the above mentioned SATA solutions to see if getting away from the controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic will help.

Posted 05/27/2005 06:28 PM   
I have some random disconnections with NVIDIA NIC (in Windows XP and Windows XP x64).

I have tried every single driver available and i still have this problem.
I have some random disconnections with NVIDIA NIC (in Windows XP and Windows XP x64).

I have tried every single driver available and i still have this problem.

EPoX EP-9NDA3+ Rev. 2.0
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2GB DDR PC3200
PixelView GeForce 6600 GT 128MB
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Creative Inspire 5.1 5200
Logitech Cordless MX Duo
LG Flatron ez T710SH

Posted 05/28/2005 06:07 PM   
[quote name='OldeCrow' date='May 27 2005, 12:28 PM']@ ~nightcrawler~ & tutu

tutu your bsod was probably related to the firewall itself, you can uninstall the firewall or try one of the above mentioned SATA solutions to see if getting  away from the controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic will help.
[right][post="34724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

For right now my Nvidia port is back up and running so I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone. If it does mess up again I will see if changing channels or controllers makes a difference. By changing channels I wouldn't have to do anything with drivers or my RAID configuration would I? Also if I changed to the Sil controller would I have to reinstall windows to get the SATA drivers loaded for it? Thanks for all you guys' help so far but I think those last two changes I made took care of it /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='OldeCrow' date='May 27 2005, 12:28 PM']@ ~nightcrawler~ & tutu

tutu your bsod was probably related to the firewall itself, you can uninstall the firewall or try one of the above mentioned SATA solutions to see if getting  away from the controler that shares the interupt with the nvidia nic will help.

[post="34724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

For right now my Nvidia port is back up and running so I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone. If it does mess up again I will see if changing channels or controllers makes a difference. By changing channels I wouldn't have to do anything with drivers or my RAID configuration would I? Also if I changed to the Sil controller would I have to reinstall windows to get the SATA drivers loaded for it? Thanks for all you guys' help so far but I think those last two changes I made took care of it /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (F6)
AMD 3500+ Winchester
OCZ Modstream 520W
Windows XP SP1
Forceware ver.
NO firewall NO NAM

Posted 05/28/2005 06:20 PM   
Im not sure what would happen to your raid setup .. I dont use raid so im not familiar with it but if your only useing two drives it may just work to move them over to the other two sata connections ..

and as far as moving it to the sil controler goes you may be able to enable the sil controler first and install the drivers and then move the drives but again im not sure how that would work ..
Im not sure what would happen to your raid setup .. I dont use raid so im not familiar with it but if your only useing two drives it may just work to move them over to the other two sata connections ..

and as far as moving it to the sil controler goes you may be able to enable the sil controler first and install the drivers and then move the drives but again im not sure how that would work ..

Posted 05/28/2005 06:45 PM   
Nevermind, got it - and I feel like a moron for letting it get this far. Suffice to say it wasn't a problem with the chipset or the drivers, but with the user. :wacko:
Nevermind, got it - and I feel like a moron for letting it get this far. Suffice to say it wasn't a problem with the chipset or the drivers, but with the user. :wacko:

Posted 05/29/2005 07:17 AM   
The worst is: the nvidia firewall doesn't work with p2p-software like emule or azureus. Tried a lot with the firewall settings, windows cache, drivers, p2p-settings... No sucsess /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' />

When using Emule it will freeze sooner or later, azureus refuse any traffic after about 2 hours maximum. In the task manager i can see that memory usage is slowly growing but no process is listed to which i can calculate this huge appetite. After ending emule/azurues the system even will not free this amount and networktraffic stumples.

Only solution: reboot or completly deinstalling the nvidia firewall. Last option would be easy, but i spend a lot of money for the board and the firewall was one reason for that. Now we have this situation: nvidia is unwilling or simply to dump to puplish a documentation for their product, so that not only network-gurus can configure this firewall right. No driverupdate for this component within two months, not even any word of "We workin' on it...". No support anywhere... /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here ... /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />
The worst is: the nvidia firewall doesn't work with p2p-software like emule or azureus. Tried a lot with the firewall settings, windows cache, drivers, p2p-settings... No sucsess /no.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':no:' />

When using Emule it will freeze sooner or later, azureus refuse any traffic after about 2 hours maximum. In the task manager i can see that memory usage is slowly growing but no process is listed to which i can calculate this huge appetite. After ending emule/azurues the system even will not free this amount and networktraffic stumples.

Only solution: reboot or completly deinstalling the nvidia firewall. Last option would be easy, but i spend a lot of money for the board and the firewall was one reason for that. Now we have this situation: nvidia is unwilling or simply to dump to puplish a documentation for their product, so that not only network-gurus can configure this firewall right. No driverupdate for this component within two months, not even any word of "We workin' on it...". No support anywhere... /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here ... /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />

Posted 05/29/2005 04:11 PM   
youp - still waiting for solution... No one succeded to run NAM with P2P, most of them could not even run NAM without P2P :'( :'( :'(

AMD fans - hold your hands together, and pray for new drivers /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' /> :P
youp - still waiting for solution... No one succeded to run NAM with P2P, most of them could not even run NAM without P2P :'( :'( :'(

AMD fans - hold your hands together, and pray for new drivers /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' /> :P

Posted 05/30/2005 05:42 AM   
[quote name='gauloises' date='May 29 2005, 10:11 AM']Now we have this situation: nvidia is unwilling or simply to dump to puplish a documentation for their product, so that not only network-gurus can configure this firewall right. No driverupdate for this component within two months, not even any word of "We workin' on it...". No support anywhere...  /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here ...  /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />
[right][post="34981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

My motherboard driver CD came with a PDF file called "NVIDIA ForceWare Networking and Firewall Administrator's Guide" with installation and configuration instructions. It's dated February '04 and still covers the nVidia Firewall, so unless anyone can find a more recent one it's atleast a start. Let me know if you would like to take a look at it and I could email it to you. It's about 6 MB file size.
[quote name='gauloises' date='May 29 2005, 10:11 AM']Now we have this situation: nvidia is unwilling or simply to dump to puplish a documentation for their product, so that not only network-gurus can configure this firewall right. No driverupdate for this component within two months, not even any word of "We workin' on it...". No support anywhere...  /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' />

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here ...  /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />

[post="34981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My motherboard driver CD came with a PDF file called "NVIDIA ForceWare Networking and Firewall Administrator's Guide" with installation and configuration instructions. It's dated February '04 and still covers the nVidia Firewall, so unless anyone can find a more recent one it's atleast a start. Let me know if you would like to take a look at it and I could email it to you. It's about 6 MB file size.

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (F6)
AMD 3500+ Winchester
OCZ Modstream 520W
Windows XP SP1
Forceware ver.
NO firewall NO NAM

Posted 05/31/2005 09:47 PM   
Well, there is this
» [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11657.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11657.html[/url]

From » [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html[/url]

Maybe the solution for our problems is there? :D
Well, there is this

» http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11657.html

From » http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

Maybe the solution for our problems is there? :D

Posted 06/01/2005 01:02 AM   
  1 / 23    
Scroll To Top