graphics erros in Final Fantasy VIII
  1 / 24    
Hello folks.
Was wondering if anyone could help me with the following.
Up just upgraded from an
ASUS P4C800 with 475 P4 2.6 and a Leadtek 5600 AGP card
to a
Intel 915PGN with 775 P4 3.4 and a Asus 6600 PCIExpress card.
Running Windows 2000 SP4

Please feel free to correct any terms I use that are incorrect. I'd like to know the real names for them.

The game has the nvidia specific patch applied.

After the upgrade, FF8 graphics are messed up. Basically, the backgound textures have black jagged edges around them. I will attempt to post a screenshot.
Items that 'move' and are rendered, like the characters are fine. I think he background is made up of a number of these textures laid one over the other. The edges should be transparent, but are now black. It looks as if someone badly cut something out of a magazine that had a black background, and pasted it onto another scene so that what was pasted obscured what was below it.

hmmm. Perhaps the screenshot would be better.
Hello folks.

Was wondering if anyone could help me with the following.

Up just upgraded from an

ASUS P4C800 with 475 P4 2.6 and a Leadtek 5600 AGP card

to a

Intel 915PGN with 775 P4 3.4 and a Asus 6600 PCIExpress card.

Running Windows 2000 SP4

Please feel free to correct any terms I use that are incorrect. I'd like to know the real names for them.

The game has the nvidia specific patch applied.

After the upgrade, FF8 graphics are messed up. Basically, the backgound textures have black jagged edges around them. I will attempt to post a screenshot.

Items that 'move' and are rendered, like the characters are fine. I think he background is made up of a number of these textures laid one over the other. The edges should be transparent, but are now black. It looks as if someone badly cut something out of a magazine that had a black background, and pasted it onto another scene so that what was pasted obscured what was below it.

hmmm. Perhaps the screenshot would be better.

Posted 05/23/2005 02:52 PM   
OK here's a screen shot.

You can see the black borders around each picutre which obscures the texture below. Also getting a lot of square black smoke.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/FlipZam/Snap2.jpg[/img]
OK here's a screen shot.

You can see the black borders around each picutre which obscures the texture below. Also getting a lot of square black smoke.

Posted 05/23/2005 08:06 PM   
Has anyone visiting this forum run the game on the 6000 series of cards?
Perhaps it's my new motherboard that is at fault.
I don't know anyone locally with the 6000 series of cards on whos machine I could test it out on.
Has anyone visiting this forum run the game on the 6000 series of cards?

Perhaps it's my new motherboard that is at fault.

I don't know anyone locally with the 6000 series of cards on whos machine I could test it out on.

Posted 05/27/2005 06:44 AM   
That''s a driver problem, a game as old as that is going to have those inconsistencies with newer drivers.
That''s a driver problem, a game as old as that is going to have those inconsistencies with newer drivers.

Posted 05/27/2005 02:40 PM   
I have Geforce 6800 gt gs and everytime i try to play FF8, game freezes when Eidos logo appears...that sucks because everytime that happens i have to restart my computer :(. If someone knows how to solve that problem let me know :):)
I have Geforce 6800 gt gs and everytime i try to play FF8, game freezes when Eidos logo appears...that sucks because everytime that happens i have to restart my computer :(. If someone knows how to solve that problem let me know :):)

Posted 05/30/2005 02:33 PM   
Well I found two intersting bits of information
1. Game works fine with software rendering instead of hardware. Only trouble is the aliasing is ugly as hell!
2. In the control panel, the game checks the directx driver. It says that 8-bit Paletted textures ''Failed''

Hey Jargge - have you tried the software renderer?

Edit: Well reading up on the net, this does seem to be a common problem. As lot of people with FFVIII are experiencing the same 'sqaure black' blotches around textures and it does seem to be on the 6000 series of nvidia cards. Something to do with the 8-bit Paletted textures being no longer supported by the cards?
Well I found two intersting bits of information

1. Game works fine with software rendering instead of hardware. Only trouble is the aliasing is ugly as hell!

2. In the control panel, the game checks the directx driver. It says that 8-bit Paletted textures ''Failed''

Hey Jargge - have you tried the software renderer?

Edit: Well reading up on the net, this does seem to be a common problem. As lot of people with FFVIII are experiencing the same 'sqaure black' blotches around textures and it does seem to be on the 6000 series of nvidia cards. Something to do with the 8-bit Paletted textures being no longer supported by the cards?

Posted 05/30/2005 06:22 PM   
I found someone that seems to know what "8-Bit Paletted Textures" are.
The jist of the problem seems to be that either the 6000 series cards, or the drivers - or a conbination of both - do not support these 8-bit Paletted Textures.
As a result the edges, that should be transparent, are displayed as black.

Could anyone from nvidia perhaps tell me if there is a way to enable 8-bit paletted textures again, either through a driver tweak, or a third party app or anything?
I found someone that seems to know what "8-Bit Paletted Textures" are.

The jist of the problem seems to be that either the 6000 series cards, or the drivers - or a conbination of both - do not support these 8-bit Paletted Textures.

As a result the edges, that should be transparent, are displayed as black.

Could anyone from nvidia perhaps tell me if there is a way to enable 8-bit paletted textures again, either through a driver tweak, or a third party app or anything?

Posted 06/01/2005 08:53 AM   
not working with software renderer... /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
not working with software renderer... /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Posted 06/08/2005 11:47 PM   
[quote name='Jargge' date='Jun 8 2005, 06:47 PM']not working with software renderer... /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />
[right][post="36728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Considering software renderer uses virtually no hardware whatsoever, most likely the reason the game won't run under that is you set your virtual memory to low or you just don't have enough system ram to run the game.
[quote name='Jargge' date='Jun 8 2005, 06:47 PM']not working with software renderer... /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

[post="36728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Considering software renderer uses virtually no hardware whatsoever, most likely the reason the game won't run under that is you set your virtual memory to low or you just don't have enough system ram to run the game.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.3ghz, Asus P5W Deluxe Mobo, 8192mb Mushkin DDR2, EVGA GF8800GTX, Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer Soundcard, Diamondmax 10 300gb HD, 2x Diamondmax Maxline III 250gb, OCZ GameXStream 700W PS

Posted 06/10/2005 08:52 AM   
Hey evil. You''ve got a 6800. Does the game run ok on your system?
Hey evil. You''ve got a 6800. Does the game run ok on your system?

Posted 06/10/2005 01:32 PM   
[quote name='evil' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:52 AM']Considering software renderer uses virtually no hardware whatsoever, most likely the reason the game won't run under that is you set your virtual memory to low or you just don't have enough system ram to run the game.
[right][post="36911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i have 2x 512mb ram
[quote name='evil' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:52 AM']Considering software renderer uses virtually no hardware whatsoever, most likely the reason the game won't run under that is you set your virtual memory to low or you just don't have enough system ram to run the game.

[post="36911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i have 2x 512mb ram

Posted 06/10/2005 05:28 PM   
[quote name='Jargge' date='Jun 10 2005, 12:28 PM']i have 2x 512mb ram
[right][post="36992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Then check your virtual memory settings. Of course if you didn't get the game from a store it could have bugs in it as well in 1.0 form.
[quote name='Jargge' date='Jun 10 2005, 12:28 PM']i have 2x 512mb ram

[post="36992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then check your virtual memory settings. Of course if you didn't get the game from a store it could have bugs in it as well in 1.0 form.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.3ghz, Asus P5W Deluxe Mobo, 8192mb Mushkin DDR2, EVGA GF8800GTX, Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer Soundcard, Diamondmax 10 300gb HD, 2x Diamondmax Maxline III 250gb, OCZ GameXStream 700W PS

Posted 06/10/2005 05:31 PM   
[quote name='Belix' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:32 AM']Hey evil. You''ve got a 6800. Does the game run ok on your system?
[right][post="36953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
It runs okay in software, in D3D mode I have the same issues as you showed above.

I also have Final Fantasy 7 which for some reason doesn't have D3D issues even though it's older than 8.
[quote name='Belix' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:32 AM']Hey evil. You''ve got a 6800. Does the game run ok on your system?

[post="36953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It runs okay in software, in D3D mode I have the same issues as you showed above.

I also have Final Fantasy 7 which for some reason doesn't have D3D issues even though it's older than 8.

Posted 06/10/2005 05:31 PM   
[quote name='evil' date='Jun 10 2005, 07:31 PM']It runs okay in software, in D3D mode I have the same issues as you showed above.

[right][post="36994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well I contacted EA Games. They responded pretty quick, which was a surprise. However, they did not seem too interested in a solution, which was not a surprise.
Somehow, I think this is going to have to be resolved by some enterprising member of the gaming community :'( /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

I keep having the feeling that if someone knowledgable donated 5 minutes to the problem, it would be easily solved, and that's what irritates me.
[quote name='evil' date='Jun 10 2005, 07:31 PM']It runs okay in software, in D3D mode I have the same issues as you showed above.

[post="36994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well I contacted EA Games. They responded pretty quick, which was a surprise. However, they did not seem too interested in a solution, which was not a surprise.

Somehow, I think this is going to have to be resolved by some enterprising member of the gaming community :'( /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

I keep having the feeling that if someone knowledgable donated 5 minutes to the problem, it would be easily solved, and that's what irritates me.

Posted 06/20/2005 08:30 AM   
I'm having this problem too, anyone found any solution to this besides using the software renderer?
I'm having this problem too, anyone found any solution to this besides using the software renderer?

Posted 09/13/2005 11:53 AM   
  1 / 24    
Scroll To Top