black screen after installing drivers
  1 / 2    
I just installed windows xp on my dfi lp nf3 ut 250gb system. I have 19 inch lcd. I set the settings for 1280x1024. I installed the chipset drivers and after rebooting I installed whwql 71.89. After rebooting I see the black screen t hat says windows with the blue progress bar and the screen goes black and the monitor light goes amber. If I restore to before the drivers everyt hing is okay. I have tried numerous drivers. My card is the bfg 6800 oc. Any ideas?
I just installed windows xp on my dfi lp nf3 ut 250gb system. I have 19 inch lcd. I set the settings for 1280x1024. I installed the chipset drivers and after rebooting I installed whwql 71.89. After rebooting I see the black screen t hat says windows with the blue progress bar and the screen goes black and the monitor light goes amber. If I restore to before the drivers everyt hing is okay. I have tried numerous drivers. My card is the bfg 6800 oc. Any ideas?

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E66000
SuperTalent 2x1GB T800UX2GC4 PC6400
eVGA 8800GTS
Raid 0 2x200GB Maxtor on SATA 1/2
Raid 0 2x320GB Seagate SATA II on 3/4
Raid 0 2x200GB SATA on Sil3114 PCI Card
LG DVD Burner
PC Power & Cooling S61EPS EPS12V 610W PSU

Posted 05/01/2005 08:41 PM   
I forgot to mention that I am using a fortron blue storm 500w psu with a direct molex to the card.
I forgot to mention that I am using a fortron blue storm 500w psu with a direct molex to the card.

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E66000
eVGA 8800GTS
LG DVD Burner

Posted 05/01/2005 08:47 PM   
can you boot in safe mode?
can you boot in safe mode?

Posted 05/02/2005 09:19 PM   
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='May 2 2005, 04:19 PM']can you boot in safe mode?
[right][post="31019"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes. If I uninstall the drivers for the video card I can boot into to windows. If I install the drivers, I get the black screen when trying to boot.
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='May 2 2005, 04:19 PM']can you boot in safe mode?

[post="31019"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes. If I uninstall the drivers for the video card I can boot into to windows. If I install the drivers, I get the black screen when trying to boot.

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E66000
eVGA 8800GTS
LG DVD Burner

Posted 05/06/2005 05:26 AM   
I experienced a quite similar problem:
I run a Pentium3 900 MHZ Computer with 256 MB SDRAM and a GeForce 2 MX graphics card, current OS is Windows 98.
Two days after i had upgraded the graphics card driver with the newest ForceWare release, my computer refused to boot to windows and instead displayed a "Windows Protection error" message on a black background.
Booting in safe mode as well as running the system on minimum RAM (system.ini [386enh] MaxPhysPage=01000) resolved the problem.
I experienced a quite similar problem:

I run a Pentium3 900 MHZ Computer with 256 MB SDRAM and a GeForce 2 MX graphics card, current OS is Windows 98.

Two days after i had upgraded the graphics card driver with the newest ForceWare release, my computer refused to boot to windows and instead displayed a "Windows Protection error" message on a black background.

Booting in safe mode as well as running the system on minimum RAM (system.ini [386enh] MaxPhysPage=01000) resolved the problem.

Posted 05/06/2005 09:14 AM   
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem. I would really like to get it fixed.
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem. I would really like to get it fixed.

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E66000
eVGA 8800GTS
LG DVD Burner

Posted 05/06/2005 04:15 PM   
I'm having this exact same problem. I just installed windowsxp x64 for the first time and the screen came up black the first time it tried to boot to windows. The system boots fine to safe mode and vga mode. I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers and still have the same issue. Interesting thing is, if I try to change the resolution in vga mode the screen will go black and not change back.

I updated the nforce drivers too, but the issue was present before those drivers were updated.

I have a PNY Geforce 6800GT.

EDIT: It may be a DVI issue, as i'm using an lcd. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe I should try my analog cable when I get a chance.
I'm having this exact same problem. I just installed windowsxp x64 for the first time and the screen came up black the first time it tried to boot to windows. The system boots fine to safe mode and vga mode. I tried installing the latest nvidia drivers and still have the same issue. Interesting thing is, if I try to change the resolution in vga mode the screen will go black and not change back.

I updated the nforce drivers too, but the issue was present before those drivers were updated.

I have a PNY Geforce 6800GT.

EDIT: It may be a DVI issue, as i'm using an lcd. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe I should try my analog cable when I get a chance.

Posted 05/06/2005 05:48 PM   
OK, it is a DVI issue. I can get it to work fine in analog mode. I tried adjusting the refresh rates to see if that was the issue but nothing worked. So for now I'll run in analog mode, but I hope Nvidia sees this thread and fixes the problem.

-BT
OK, it is a DVI issue. I can get it to work fine in analog mode. I tried adjusting the refresh rates to see if that was the issue but nothing worked. So for now I'll run in analog mode, but I hope Nvidia sees this thread and fixes the problem.

-BT

Posted 05/06/2005 05:59 PM   
My issue is not a dvi issue. I connected the analog vga cable and changed the monitor input to analog and I get the same problem. I changed my psu to an ocz powerstream 520w and only connected the boot drive and the video and got the same issue.
My issue is not a dvi issue. I connected the analog vga cable and changed the monitor input to analog and I get the same problem. I changed my psu to an ocz powerstream 520w and only connected the boot drive and the video and got the same issue.

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E66000
eVGA 8800GTS
LG DVD Burner

Posted 05/06/2005 10:53 PM   
I''m getting the same issue with my old tin can (FX 5200) -- When I use the Standard VGA driver (cannot do 3d acceleration) windows boots fine. Using either the Microsoft accelerated nvidia driver or nvidia.com''s excellent accelerated driver, I get a black screen on windows boot. Interestingly enough, I see the picture right up to the windows logo with the scrolling bar, but right as it''s about to display the login screen, the monitor goes blank for a few seconds and the power light goes amber. This is a VGA-connected monitor.

I have also hooked it to my TV through the S-Video output and the same problem happens.

MB: Asus A8V Deluxe
Proc: Athlon64 3400+ socket 939 (it does exist, I can post CPU-Z pics if you don''t believe me)
PSU: 520W

I am waiting for a 6800 GT to come in the mail, but fear it might have the same problem.

(edited for grammar)
I''m getting the same issue with my old tin can (FX 5200) -- When I use the Standard VGA driver (cannot do 3d acceleration) windows boots fine. Using either the Microsoft accelerated nvidia driver or nvidia.com''s excellent accelerated driver, I get a black screen on windows boot. Interestingly enough, I see the picture right up to the windows logo with the scrolling bar, but right as it''s about to display the login screen, the monitor goes blank for a few seconds and the power light goes amber. This is a VGA-connected monitor.

I have also hooked it to my TV through the S-Video output and the same problem happens.

MB: Asus A8V Deluxe

Proc: Athlon64 3400+ socket 939 (it does exist, I can post CPU-Z pics if you don''t believe me)

PSU: 520W

I am waiting for a 6800 GT to come in the mail, but fear it might have the same problem.

(edited for grammar)

Posted 05/06/2005 11:57 PM   
Tossed in an OLD geforce4 440MX into the machine so I could get SOME gaming out of it and it worked as it should have.

What's up woth my FX 5200?
Tossed in an OLD geforce4 440MX into the machine so I could get SOME gaming out of it and it worked as it should have.

What's up woth my FX 5200?

Posted 05/07/2005 12:54 AM   
[u]Okay[/u], this problem, doesn't seem to be releated to [color="green"]nVidia [/color]only. I come across some people using [color="red"]ATI [/color] cards, and they have the same problem. Also, I would like to point out that this doesn't have anything to do with invalid refresh rates or resolution settings.

Of course will the monitor not be able to show anything if you use unsupported setting but this problem can ouccure, even if you use VGA mode, and just increase the resolution from 640x480 to 800x600. That will resolve in a black screen, and you will not be able to cancle it. Usally windows you ask if you want to keep these settings and if not switch back within 15 seconds. but it doesn't, and if you have the possibility to use RDP (Remote Desktop) you can logon on the computer from a diffrent computer. However, you seem to be unable to chage any advanced graphic settings.

How anyoing this may seem, I can't find a good solution to it. But I can think about one thing (haven't tried it). I know that when you nVidia card is running as it supposed to do you can change the display modes that the card supports. I belive that the problem can be related to obscoure default refresh rates, despite what I said earlier.

If you could find the settings file or registry entry for the display modes, you might be able to force the nVidia display adapter to use resolutions and refreshrates that will work with your moinitor. If this will work remains to be tested.

[b]Here are some things I discovered so far.[/b]
* In the device manager I got 4 monitors of the same type installed. Deleteing them or reinstalling the correct one, doesn't make any diffrence.
* My monitor is capable of displaying resolutions up to 1280x1024 in 60Hz mode and 1024x768 in 70Hz mode, It's also a very old monitor, 10 years and aging.
* People with brand new LCD displays exprerience the same problem. (I there for rule out that it's purly about refresh rates, or bad settings.)
* People using ATI cards have the same problem as well, this can't be directly related to nVidia drivers...
[color="red"][b]* If you startup with the F8 key, and use VGA mode, you can uninstall your driver and run windows using software rendering. It's very slow, but it will enable you to use your computer in a decent way (No gaming thou, buhu!).[/b][/color]
* Older nVidia cards, doesn't seem to have this problem. I don't have my old Geforce MX440, but as suggest in above post, It could work? Why? I don't know.

Still the fact remains that it's a possibility that the configuration in x64 systems are by default, display modes that you cannot use.

I hope this helps in the proccess of finding an answer to this problem. It's a such a waste running my Geforce 6800, software emulated...

Regards,
John

[color="red"][b]This issue can be resolved by a rollback, use these drivers instead, works for me. ([url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_66.96"]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_66.96[/url]), Good Luck![/b][/color]
Okay, this problem, doesn't seem to be releated to nVidia only. I come across some people using ATI cards, and they have the same problem. Also, I would like to point out that this doesn't have anything to do with invalid refresh rates or resolution settings.

Of course will the monitor not be able to show anything if you use unsupported setting but this problem can ouccure, even if you use VGA mode, and just increase the resolution from 640x480 to 800x600. That will resolve in a black screen, and you will not be able to cancle it. Usally windows you ask if you want to keep these settings and if not switch back within 15 seconds. but it doesn't, and if you have the possibility to use RDP (Remote Desktop) you can logon on the computer from a diffrent computer. However, you seem to be unable to chage any advanced graphic settings.

How anyoing this may seem, I can't find a good solution to it. But I can think about one thing (haven't tried it). I know that when you nVidia card is running as it supposed to do you can change the display modes that the card supports. I belive that the problem can be related to obscoure default refresh rates, despite what I said earlier.

If you could find the settings file or registry entry for the display modes, you might be able to force the nVidia display adapter to use resolutions and refreshrates that will work with your moinitor. If this will work remains to be tested.

Here are some things I discovered so far.

* In the device manager I got 4 monitors of the same type installed. Deleteing them or reinstalling the correct one, doesn't make any diffrence.

* My monitor is capable of displaying resolutions up to 1280x1024 in 60Hz mode and 1024x768 in 70Hz mode, It's also a very old monitor, 10 years and aging.

* People with brand new LCD displays exprerience the same problem. (I there for rule out that it's purly about refresh rates, or bad settings.)

* People using ATI cards have the same problem as well, this can't be directly related to nVidia drivers...

* If you startup with the F8 key, and use VGA mode, you can uninstall your driver and run windows using software rendering. It's very slow, but it will enable you to use your computer in a decent way (No gaming thou, buhu!).

* Older nVidia cards, doesn't seem to have this problem. I don't have my old Geforce MX440, but as suggest in above post, It could work? Why? I don't know.

Still the fact remains that it's a possibility that the configuration in x64 systems are by default, display modes that you cannot use.

I hope this helps in the proccess of finding an answer to this problem. It's a such a waste running my Geforce 6800, software emulated...

Regards,

John

This issue can be resolved by a rollback, use these drivers instead, works for me. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_66.96), Good Luck!

Posted 05/22/2005 11:15 AM   
I have the same problem with my BFG 6800oc.

AMD 3200+ socket 939
Asus A8V Motherboard
400watt Powersupply
2 gigs of ram
300gig Sata HD
BFG 6800 oc
19" LCD monitor (analog)
Windows XP Media Center

The card seemed to work fine on my old motherboard. It was when I upgraded to a new cpu/motherboard that I had the problem. Different drivers don't seem to make much of a difference. When I install the 6x.xx drivers they will finish installing then I will get the black screen on reboot. The newer drivers, 7x.xx, give me a black screen half way through the install.

I haven't heard anyone mention this yet. My monitor gives me a "No signal" type of message, but if I wait long enough (2-3 minutes), I end up getting a blue screen of death. The message accompanied is an infinite loop error. I am considering sending my card back to bfg for replacement as I have tried everything else.

Motherboard and cpu are brand new and seem to be functioning perfectly. Windows is a fresh install. I have tried installing the nvidia drivers before and after my motherboard drivers, after a fresh install. Also have tried before and after the full windows update. My bios is the newest revision as well. Have connected additional power supplies to make sure I wasn't short on power. I have removed my ram sticks 1 at a time. The only devices I have are a nic and soundcard, both of which are onboard. As I mentioned before I tried installing the nvidia driver before I installed those. I am pretty much out of ideas, so unless anyone has any more information or has a solution, I guess I will be sending in my 6800oc for replacement. I will let you guys know if that solves my problem
I have the same problem with my BFG 6800oc.

AMD 3200+ socket 939

Asus A8V Motherboard

400watt Powersupply

2 gigs of ram

300gig Sata HD

BFG 6800 oc

19" LCD monitor (analog)

Windows XP Media Center

The card seemed to work fine on my old motherboard. It was when I upgraded to a new cpu/motherboard that I had the problem. Different drivers don't seem to make much of a difference. When I install the 6x.xx drivers they will finish installing then I will get the black screen on reboot. The newer drivers, 7x.xx, give me a black screen half way through the install.

I haven't heard anyone mention this yet. My monitor gives me a "No signal" type of message, but if I wait long enough (2-3 minutes), I end up getting a blue screen of death. The message accompanied is an infinite loop error. I am considering sending my card back to bfg for replacement as I have tried everything else.

Motherboard and cpu are brand new and seem to be functioning perfectly. Windows is a fresh install. I have tried installing the nvidia drivers before and after my motherboard drivers, after a fresh install. Also have tried before and after the full windows update. My bios is the newest revision as well. Have connected additional power supplies to make sure I wasn't short on power. I have removed my ram sticks 1 at a time. The only devices I have are a nic and soundcard, both of which are onboard. As I mentioned before I tried installing the nvidia driver before I installed those. I am pretty much out of ideas, so unless anyone has any more information or has a solution, I guess I will be sending in my 6800oc for replacement. I will let you guys know if that solves my problem

Posted 07/12/2006 09:00 PM   
I have a
Quadro 4000
Windows XP pro

This is happen is happening to me after the latest windows update.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I have a

Quadro 4000

Windows XP pro

This is happen is happening to me after the latest windows update.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted 07/24/2006 07:04 AM   
MAN!!! THIS PROBLEM ISNT SOLVED YET WTF!! i recently built a comp with a Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88BS PRO Socket 775 mobo. I installed my 3d fuzion Geforce 6600 and used the cd to install the drivers and the screen went black and locked up during the middle of install.

the only bios update that is out for my mobo is to correct something for the ddr setting.

Seriously ive had enough problems making my own comp by myself and this is the last thing in my way. if anyone could help me out. please.

mobo website: machspeed.com
MAN!!! THIS PROBLEM ISNT SOLVED YET WTF!! i recently built a comp with a Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88BS PRO Socket 775 mobo. I installed my 3d fuzion Geforce 6600 and used the cd to install the drivers and the screen went black and locked up during the middle of install.

the only bios update that is out for my mobo is to correct something for the ddr setting.

Seriously ive had enough problems making my own comp by myself and this is the last thing in my way. if anyone could help me out. please.

mobo website: machspeed.com

Posted 10/13/2006 05:51 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top