Evga 6600GT AGP
  1 / 2    
Ok guy's my card works awesome 80% of the time, but sometimes locks up while gaming. I have tried every tip on these forums to no avail. I contact EVGA and they tell me to make sure that my video card isnt sharing an IRQ# with any other devices. I check it and lo and behold it's sharing #(PCI)16 with my ethernet card. I then check the device manager adn under my display settings it says my video card's location is PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. WTF is this? Shouldn't it be AGP? and if so how do I change it??
Ok guy's my card works awesome 80% of the time, but sometimes locks up while gaming. I have tried every tip on these forums to no avail. I contact EVGA and they tell me to make sure that my video card isnt sharing an IRQ# with any other devices. I check it and lo and behold it's sharing #(PCI)16 with my ethernet card. I then check the device manager adn under my display settings it says my video card's location is PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. WTF is this? Shouldn't it be AGP? and if so how do I change it??

Posted 04/19/2005 12:44 AM   
is your ethernet card in pci slot directly below your card? if so move it down one slot and leave pci slot empty below agp slot...
is your ethernet card in pci slot directly below your card? if so move it down one slot and leave pci slot empty below agp slot...

Posted 04/19/2005 02:19 AM   
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:19 PM']is your ethernet card in pci slot directly below your card? if so move it down one slot and leave pci slot empty below agp slot...
[right][post="28756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no, there is no card below my video card. anyone know how to change IRQ numbers so that my video card is the only device with it's own number?
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:19 PM']is your ethernet card in pci slot directly below your card? if so move it down one slot and leave pci slot empty below agp slot...

[post="28756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

no, there is no card below my video card. anyone know how to change IRQ numbers so that my video card is the only device with it's own number?

Posted 04/19/2005 02:37 AM   
I think I may have the same sorta problem as you. Only my card shares irq 16 with USB.

So far, I''ve found no real way to change the irq.. it could potentially cause other problems, or so I''ve read.
I think I may have the same sorta problem as you. Only my card shares irq 16 with USB.

So far, I''ve found no real way to change the irq.. it could potentially cause other problems, or so I''ve read.

Corsair 600T Chassis - Intel 2600K @ 4.6 & Corsair H100 - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 SLI - 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 1833mhz - Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 Mobo - Corsair HX1050 PSU - Mushkin Chronos 128GB SSD - Qnix QX2710 @ 96hz (mounted) - Synology DS212j 2TB Raided NAS

Posted 04/19/2005 08:56 AM   
can you change it in your bios?
can you change it in your bios?

Posted 04/19/2005 11:59 AM   
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Apr 19 2005, 03:59 AM']can you change it in your bios?
[right][post="28814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have tried but can't figure it out. Tech Support at EVGA said to contact my motherboard manufacturer to re-assign IRQ #'s. I'm just waiting for a response then will try that. I mean it's frustrating. I have tried every trick under the sun to make this card run properly. Just when I think it's running well BAM! it freezes :(
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Apr 19 2005, 03:59 AM']can you change it in your bios?

[post="28814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have tried but can't figure it out. Tech Support at EVGA said to contact my motherboard manufacturer to re-assign IRQ #'s. I'm just waiting for a response then will try that. I mean it's frustrating. I have tried every trick under the sun to make this card run properly. Just when I think it's running well BAM! it freezes :(

Posted 04/19/2005 03:14 PM   
^ beleive me, you''re not alone.

Once you find out any info from the MB company, post back here with any how to info, if you could that is.

I''d like to try that out and see if it helps on my end at all. I noticed it before as well and i beleive it could be an issue lots are experiencing. Probably without even knowing about it.
^ beleive me, you''re not alone.

Once you find out any info from the MB company, post back here with any how to info, if you could that is.

I''d like to try that out and see if it helps on my end at all. I noticed it before as well and i beleive it could be an issue lots are experiencing. Probably without even knowing about it.

Corsair 600T Chassis - Intel 2600K @ 4.6 & Corsair H100 - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 SLI - 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 1833mhz - Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 Mobo - Corsair HX1050 PSU - Mushkin Chronos 128GB SSD - Qnix QX2710 @ 96hz (mounted) - Synology DS212j 2TB Raided NAS

Posted 04/19/2005 06:22 PM   
diz, you're trying to get help re: a motherboard and it's BIOS. It would be really really helpful if you posted what brand/model motherboard it is and what brand BIOS it is.

Also, if your NIC is on-board, you might not be able to change the IRQ to be different from the AGP slot without hacking/patching the BIOS. In these situations you disable the internal nic and use a PCI one, but that's kinda lame. The reason GPU asked you about it being one slot under is that the top two and the bottom two usually share IRQs by default, you could move it to one of the central slots and it'll take a different IRQ automatically. (AGP is just PCI with a couple more wires. That's why it shows as PCI.)
diz, you're trying to get help re: a motherboard and it's BIOS. It would be really really helpful if you posted what brand/model motherboard it is and what brand BIOS it is.

Also, if your NIC is on-board, you might not be able to change the IRQ to be different from the AGP slot without hacking/patching the BIOS. In these situations you disable the internal nic and use a PCI one, but that's kinda lame. The reason GPU asked you about it being one slot under is that the top two and the bottom two usually share IRQs by default, you could move it to one of the central slots and it'll take a different IRQ automatically. (AGP is just PCI with a couple more wires. That's why it shows as PCI.)

Posted 04/20/2005 02:26 AM   
[quote name='NV4TEHWIN' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:26 PM']diz, you're trying to get help re: a motherboard and it's BIOS. It would be really really helpful if you posted what brand/model motherboard it is and what brand BIOS it is.

[right][post="29000"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

MOBO: MSI K8T NEO FSR
BIOS BRAND: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS VERSION: 07.00T
CHIPSET: VIA K8T800(VT8383)
SOUTHBRIDGE: VIA VT8237

[b]Update:[/b]

Here's the email from MSI regarding game freezes with the 6600GT:

1. you may try disable the onboard Lan first in the bios settings then see if it will resolve the vga problem. If so, you can manual set the IRQ in PNP/PCI config.

2. if problem persists, try enable the AGP Fast write in advanced chipset and increase the AGP Voltage to 1.6 in Frequency Voltage settings.

I tried the 2nd suggestion and so far it has worked :) knock on wood.
[quote name='NV4TEHWIN' date='Apr 19 2005, 06:26 PM']diz, you're trying to get help re: a motherboard and it's BIOS. It would be really really helpful if you posted what brand/model motherboard it is and what brand BIOS it is.

[post="29000"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

MOBO: MSI K8T NEO FSR

BIOS BRAND: American Megatrends Inc.

BIOS VERSION: 07.00T

CHIPSET: VIA K8T800(VT8383)

SOUTHBRIDGE: VIA VT8237

Update:

Here's the email from MSI regarding game freezes with the 6600GT:

1. you may try disable the onboard Lan first in the bios settings then see if it will resolve the vga problem. If so, you can manual set the IRQ in PNP/PCI config.

2. if problem persists, try enable the AGP Fast write in advanced chipset and increase the AGP Voltage to 1.6 in Frequency Voltage settings.

I tried the 2nd suggestion and so far it has worked :) knock on wood.

Posted 04/20/2005 03:14 AM   
[quote name='diz' date='Apr 19 2005, 11:14 PM']2. if problem persists, try enable the AGP Fast write in advanced chipset and increase the AGP Voltage to 1.6 in Frequency Voltage settings.
I tried the 2nd suggestion and so far it has worked :)  knock on wood.
[right][post="29005"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Where are those setting? I have an MSI 6600GT AGP card with freeze problems... is this in the BIOS or the control panel? I'm also intrigued by [u]enabling[/u] fast write as everyone else is saying to [i]disable[/i] them... so what exactly did you do that worked?

EDIT: just re-read your setup and figured it was an MSI *MB*, so I suppose the settings are in the BIOS... I never saw a voltage setting in my ASRock K7S41GX MB...
[quote name='diz' date='Apr 19 2005, 11:14 PM']2. if problem persists, try enable the AGP Fast write in advanced chipset and increase the AGP Voltage to 1.6 in Frequency Voltage settings.

I tried the 2nd suggestion and so far it has worked :)  knock on wood.

[post="29005"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Where are those setting? I have an MSI 6600GT AGP card with freeze problems... is this in the BIOS or the control panel? I'm also intrigued by enabling fast write as everyone else is saying to disable them... so what exactly did you do that worked?

EDIT: just re-read your setup and figured it was an MSI *MB*, so I suppose the settings are in the BIOS... I never saw a voltage setting in my ASRock K7S41GX MB...

Posted 04/20/2005 06:05 PM   
[quote name='pierrebai' date='Apr 20 2005, 10:05 AM']Where are those setting? I have an MSI 6600GT AGP card with freeze problems... is this in the BIOS or the control panel? I'm also intrigued by [u]enabling[/u] fast write as everyone else is saying to [i]disable[/i] them... so what exactly did you do that worked?

[right][post="29112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I [b]ENABLED [/b]fast writes in the BIOS and changed my voltage from auto to 1.6 in the Frequency/Voltage setting's in the BIOS also. So far ive had no problems. Played CS:S for 3 hours straight and didn't freeze once, compared to freezing every 10-15 mins.
[quote name='pierrebai' date='Apr 20 2005, 10:05 AM']Where are those setting? I have an MSI 6600GT AGP card with freeze problems... is this in the BIOS or the control panel? I'm also intrigued by enabling fast write as everyone else is saying to disable them... so what exactly did you do that worked?

[post="29112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I ENABLED fast writes in the BIOS and changed my voltage from auto to 1.6 in the Frequency/Voltage setting's in the BIOS also. So far ive had no problems. Played CS:S for 3 hours straight and didn't freeze once, compared to freezing every 10-15 mins.

Posted 04/20/2005 06:37 PM   
Oh diz thank you thank you thank you! Go look at my post [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4106&view=findpost&p=29205"]about my 6600GT AGP[/url] if you want detail, but I finally got it working thanks to your post! Hourray!
Oh diz thank you thank you thank you! Go look at my post about my 6600GT AGP if you want detail, but I finally got it working thanks to your post! Hourray!

Posted 04/21/2005 01:18 AM   
[quote name='pierrebai' date='Apr 20 2005, 05:18 PM']Oh diz thank you thank you thank you! Go look at my post [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4106&view=findpost&p=29205"]about my 6600GT AGP[/url] if you want detail, but I finally got it working thanks to your post! Hourray!
[right][post="29206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

np. there are too many redundant "my 6600GT isn't working posts" if people would actually contact their MOBO and/or graphics card manufacturer the probably would save themselves a lot of time and grief.
[quote name='pierrebai' date='Apr 20 2005, 05:18 PM']Oh diz thank you thank you thank you! Go look at my post about my 6600GT AGP if you want detail, but I finally got it working thanks to your post! Hourray!

[post="29206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

np. there are too many redundant "my 6600GT isn't working posts" if people would actually contact their MOBO and/or graphics card manufacturer the probably would save themselves a lot of time and grief.

Posted 04/21/2005 01:28 AM   
/w00t.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00t:' />:w00t:/w00t.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00t:' /> Hmm, both of you got around this recently. Both of you have VIA chipsets. Both of you enabled FastWrites. [i]Interesting.[/i]

Can one (or both) of you try disabling FastWrites and see if the problem comes back? Can any random 6600GT AGP user reading this thread with a VIA board state what setting their FastWrite is, and if it's on an AMI or Award BIOS? I know you owe no one here anything, but think if we could definitively state "Enable FastWrites" and be done with at least half of the 6600GT issues?
/w00t.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00t:' />:w00t:/w00t.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00t:' /> Hmm, both of you got around this recently. Both of you have VIA chipsets. Both of you enabled FastWrites. Interesting.

Can one (or both) of you try disabling FastWrites and see if the problem comes back? Can any random 6600GT AGP user reading this thread with a VIA board state what setting their FastWrite is, and if it's on an AMI or Award BIOS? I know you owe no one here anything, but think if we could definitively state "Enable FastWrites" and be done with at least half of the 6600GT issues?

Posted 04/21/2005 04:35 AM   
No, my MB is not VIA-based, it''s SiS-based: ASRock K7S41GX. I may try to re-disable fast-write tonight, although I''m wary of touching anything. :P

I'm am wary though that so many people recommend turning fast-write off and setting the AGP aperture to a value different from the memory size of the video card... :unsure:
No, my MB is not VIA-based, it''s SiS-based: ASRock K7S41GX. I may try to re-disable fast-write tonight, although I''m wary of touching anything. :P

I'm am wary though that so many people recommend turning fast-write off and setting the AGP aperture to a value different from the memory size of the video card... :unsure:

Posted 04/21/2005 05:29 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top