Arx Fatalis Missing Textures Arx + 6xxx = missing textures
  1 / 3    
Hi, Ive seen other posts here about this problem, but Im still trying to get a fix for it.

Basically, many objects in the game, such as chairs, rats, levers, some items, and some characters do not have textures when running the game on a 6600 or 6800 series card. They just appear white. Its been like this with any driver I have tried that supports my 6800 GT (even betas and the 71.84 offical).

Here are some extensive threads on this bug if you need more information:

[url="http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=568959#post568959"]http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread...8959#post568959[/url]

[url="http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=32401"]http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=32401[/url]

This is an amazing game, and to this day it's still shipping with MANY Geforce 6 series cards, so this bug needs to be fixed. It pretty much ruins the atmosphere completely when one or two items per room are bright, flat white shapes.

Please squash this bug, its been around for nearly a year now.

Thank you. /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
Hi, Ive seen other posts here about this problem, but Im still trying to get a fix for it.

Basically, many objects in the game, such as chairs, rats, levers, some items, and some characters do not have textures when running the game on a 6600 or 6800 series card. They just appear white. Its been like this with any driver I have tried that supports my 6800 GT (even betas and the 71.84 offical).

Here are some extensive threads on this bug if you need more information:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread...8959#post568959

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=32401

This is an amazing game, and to this day it's still shipping with MANY Geforce 6 series cards, so this bug needs to be fixed. It pretty much ruins the atmosphere completely when one or two items per room are bright, flat white shapes.

Please squash this bug, its been around for nearly a year now.

Thank you. /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Posted 03/17/2005 05:47 PM   
Basically Arkane has dropped support for this great game, and that is the reason why... they haven't released a patch for a long time (2003, if I remember correctly)
I don't believe Nvidia is to blame (for this one) - but rather the developer (Arkane), the publisher (Jowood) and certain videocard manufacturers (for not testing the game before adding it to the 6xxx series videocard bundle)

I've tried to mail the developer, (as have Nvidia, according to their response on a previous thread) - no response and no patches; even though the solution [i]should[/i] be quite simple.
Basically Arkane has dropped support for this great game, and that is the reason why... they haven't released a patch for a long time (2003, if I remember correctly)

I don't believe Nvidia is to blame (for this one) - but rather the developer (Arkane), the publisher (Jowood) and certain videocard manufacturers (for not testing the game before adding it to the 6xxx series videocard bundle)

I've tried to mail the developer, (as have Nvidia, according to their response on a previous thread) - no response and no patches; even though the solution should be quite simple.

Posted 03/17/2005 06:41 PM   
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 17 2005, 10:41 AM']Basically Arkane has dropped support for this great game, and that is the reason why... they haven't released a patch for a long time (2003, if I remember correctly)
I don't believe Nvidia is to blame (for this one) - but rather the developer (Arkane), the publisher (Jowood)  and certain videocard manufacturers (for not testing the game before adding it to the 6xxx series videocard bundle)

I've tried to mail the developer, (as have Nvidia, according to their response on a previous thread) - no response and no patches; even though the solution [i]should[/i] be quite simple.
[right][post="23566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Didn't they say that Arx was really a fan project, that was created at a loss, but with the purpose to pay homage to the Ultima Underworld crowd?

And didn't they say that they would be making a sequel?
Has anyone checked arkane studios webpage at all and looked at any recent news? Or did they just vanish into thin air, so to speak?

If they are not at E3 2005, when I go there, then I am sure they are dead. I still remember when they demoed Arx in 2001....
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 17 2005, 10:41 AM']Basically Arkane has dropped support for this great game, and that is the reason why... they haven't released a patch for a long time (2003, if I remember correctly)

I don't believe Nvidia is to blame (for this one) - but rather the developer (Arkane), the publisher (Jowood)  and certain videocard manufacturers (for not testing the game before adding it to the 6xxx series videocard bundle)

I've tried to mail the developer, (as have Nvidia, according to their response on a previous thread) - no response and no patches; even though the solution should be quite simple.

[post="23566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Didn't they say that Arx was really a fan project, that was created at a loss, but with the purpose to pay homage to the Ultima Underworld crowd?

And didn't they say that they would be making a sequel?

Has anyone checked arkane studios webpage at all and looked at any recent news? Or did they just vanish into thin air, so to speak?

If they are not at E3 2005, when I go there, then I am sure they are dead. I still remember when they demoed Arx in 2001....

Posted 03/18/2005 07:01 AM   
[url="http://www.arkane-studios.com/"]Arkane link[/url]

Last news entry: 03/02/2004.

[quote]" Valve, developer of best selling games and leading edge technologies, today announced a Source Engine licensing partnership with Arkane Studios, creators of Arx Fatalis... "[/quote]

And then we heard nothing.

If they are still here, they are doing their best not to be heard.
Arkane link

Last news entry: 03/02/2004.

" Valve, developer of best selling games and leading edge technologies, today announced a Source Engine licensing partnership with Arkane Studios, creators of Arx Fatalis... "

And then we heard nothing.

If they are still here, they are doing their best not to be heard.

Posted 03/18/2005 07:31 AM   
I dont really understand how its all Arcane's fault. If it works on all cards besides the 6 series, you'd think Nvidia alone could make a driver fix for it. Thats usually why there are driver updates, to fix issues with games.

It really sucks that they dont support it any more, but Nvidia should still be able to do SOMETHING about it, even without their help.

I dont know if anyone from Nvidia posts in these forums, but if you do, can we get some sort of explanation as to why this cant be fixed? It seems like you'd just have to see what makes these certain objects\textures different from the others, and then see why the 6800 series cant display them properly.
I dont really understand how its all Arcane's fault. If it works on all cards besides the 6 series, you'd think Nvidia alone could make a driver fix for it. Thats usually why there are driver updates, to fix issues with games.

It really sucks that they dont support it any more, but Nvidia should still be able to do SOMETHING about it, even without their help.

I dont know if anyone from Nvidia posts in these forums, but if you do, can we get some sort of explanation as to why this cant be fixed? It seems like you'd just have to see what makes these certain objects\textures different from the others, and then see why the 6800 series cant display them properly.

Posted 03/19/2005 09:18 PM   
As I said, this has been discussed before..

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=333&hl=arx%20fatalis&st=40"]67.xx bug list[/url]

This is a quote from NV_PSB, a Nvidia employee:

[quote]Well, you may not appreciate what we found unfortunately. The game checks for a D3D caps bit called D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 which is only set as True for hardware that can support limited texturing capabilities. This was true of previous generation hardware, however since GeForce 6 series has no such limitation the driver correctly sets this caps bit to false.

So unfortunately, in this case, the GeForce 6 series is being penalized for having more advanced capabilities! We have contacted the developer to see if they would be willing to fix this in a patch since it will affect all current and future hardware (including from other vendors) which support more advanced texturing.

In the mean time, one workaround might be to use a 3rd party tool like 3d-analyze which I believe lets you force D3D caps bits. Let me know if that works. (We are going to try it out here too.)[/quote]

Unfortunately, 3Danalyze did not help, as you'll probably see later on the same thread.

Arkane did not respond to the mails (judging by the lack of a patch), and thus I blame the developer.
As I said, this has been discussed before..

67.xx bug list

Well, you may not appreciate what we found unfortunately. The game checks for a D3D caps bit called D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 which is only set as True for hardware that can support limited texturing capabilities. This was true of previous generation hardware, however since GeForce 6 series has no such limitation the driver correctly sets this caps bit to false.

So unfortunately, in this case, the GeForce 6 series is being penalized for having more advanced capabilities! We have contacted the developer to see if they would be willing to fix this in a patch since it will affect all current and future hardware (including from other vendors) which support more advanced texturing.

In the mean time, one workaround might be to use a 3rd party tool like 3d-analyze which I believe lets you force D3D caps bits. Let me know if that works. (We are going to try it out here too.)

Unfortunately, 3Danalyze did not help, as you'll probably see later on the same thread.

Arkane did not respond to the mails (judging by the lack of a patch), and thus I blame the developer.

Posted 03/19/2005 11:59 PM   
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 19 2005, 06:59 PM']As I said, this has been discussed before..

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=333&hl=arx%20fatalis&st=40"]67.xx bug list[/url]

[right][post="23942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Eh, its really sad :(

This really is an amazing game. I guess we can only hope for a community hack\patch to correct it. Ive been trying myself by modifying the games texture files, but I cant get it to do anything for the missing ones. Ive made other textures more detailed (everything scales perfectly... its really pretty amazing how flexible everything is) but the ones that are blank just wont come back.

I tried 3d analyze a long time ago, but sadly, it doesnt even work with this program (none of the program's settings have any effect on the game).

Is there a reason we cant have a driver option to set the caps bit to true? It obviously has a compatibility problem with this game (and maybe others) and in that message you quoted, he said that the driver is what sets it to false. So why cant we get a toggle of some sort? Maybe even through some sort of 3rd party software or modded driver.

If they have found the source of the compatibility problem and they know that setting the caps bit to true should fix it (through 3d analyze) we really should be able to have a driver option that can do it. Even if its hidden and only accessable through the registry or 3rd party software, it should be there. I appreciate the responses on this topic though, thanks for the input.
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 19 2005, 06:59 PM']As I said, this has been discussed before..

67.xx bug list

[post="23942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Eh, its really sad :(

This really is an amazing game. I guess we can only hope for a community hack\patch to correct it. Ive been trying myself by modifying the games texture files, but I cant get it to do anything for the missing ones. Ive made other textures more detailed (everything scales perfectly... its really pretty amazing how flexible everything is) but the ones that are blank just wont come back.

I tried 3d analyze a long time ago, but sadly, it doesnt even work with this program (none of the program's settings have any effect on the game).

Is there a reason we cant have a driver option to set the caps bit to true? It obviously has a compatibility problem with this game (and maybe others) and in that message you quoted, he said that the driver is what sets it to false. So why cant we get a toggle of some sort? Maybe even through some sort of 3rd party software or modded driver.

If they have found the source of the compatibility problem and they know that setting the caps bit to true should fix it (through 3d analyze) we really should be able to have a driver option that can do it. Even if its hidden and only accessable through the registry or 3rd party software, it should be there. I appreciate the responses on this topic though, thanks for the input.

Posted 03/20/2005 06:27 AM   
I agree, this game really is one of the 'diamonds in the rough' - and I expected Arkane to be at least half as enthusiastic about the game as its fans. Unfortunately they don't seem to be.
I agree, this game really is one of the 'diamonds in the rough' - and I expected Arkane to be at least half as enthusiastic about the game as its fans. Unfortunately they don't seem to be.

Posted 03/20/2005 12:22 PM   
Here is some input from another thread about this. When I posted what Nvidia said about the issue, egbtmagus brought up an interesting point:

[quote name='egbtmagus']Hmm, that makes no sense. The game checks to see if the Card has a Texture Cap through D3D and if it doesn't it wont load the textures? D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 controls what size the textures can be for that card. If the bit is set to True all textures must be in the power of 2 to be loaded, if the textures are not of power of 2 they wont be loaded.

What I don't get is that if the 6 series has no limits and can use any texture size why is the game not loading them. It looks like its the opposite and the game wants to load textures that are not the power of 2 but the 6 series do not support them... atleast thats what I get from it.

Im gonna look into this because from what it looks like is that the 6 series is actually inferior or possibley broken on this aspect. We should be able to bypass the D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 all together since our cards can display all sized textures...[/quote]

I did some modifying of the texture files so that they are power of 2 sizes only and it creates problems with textures lining up, but it does fix the blank texture problem.

Sooo... this is a problem with textures being power of 2, but its hardly just a problem with the game. The drivers (specifically for the 6-series) dont seem to allow these textures to be used, when all other cards do. I think a simple driver setting to enable\disable this caps bit could fix this horribly irritating compatibility problem.
Here is some input from another thread about this. When I posted what Nvidia said about the issue, egbtmagus brought up an interesting point:

egbtmagus said:Hmm, that makes no sense. The game checks to see if the Card has a Texture Cap through D3D and if it doesn't it wont load the textures? D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 controls what size the textures can be for that card. If the bit is set to True all textures must be in the power of 2 to be loaded, if the textures are not of power of 2 they wont be loaded.

What I don't get is that if the 6 series has no limits and can use any texture size why is the game not loading them. It looks like its the opposite and the game wants to load textures that are not the power of 2 but the 6 series do not support them... atleast thats what I get from it.

Im gonna look into this because from what it looks like is that the 6 series is actually inferior or possibley broken on this aspect. We should be able to bypass the D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 all together since our cards can display all sized textures...

I did some modifying of the texture files so that they are power of 2 sizes only and it creates problems with textures lining up, but it does fix the blank texture problem.

Sooo... this is a problem with textures being power of 2, but its hardly just a problem with the game. The drivers (specifically for the 6-series) dont seem to allow these textures to be used, when all other cards do. I think a simple driver setting to enable\disable this caps bit could fix this horribly irritating compatibility problem.

Posted 03/21/2005 11:21 PM   
[quote name='CaptNKILL' date='Mar 21 2005, 03:21 PM']Here is some input from another thread about this. When I posted what Nvidia said about the issue, egbtmagus brought up an interesting point:

[quote name='egbtmagus']Hmm, that makes no sense. The game checks to see if the Card has a Texture Cap through D3D and if it doesn't it wont load the textures? D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 controls what size the textures can be for that card. If the bit is set to True all textures must be in the power of 2 to be loaded, if the textures are not of power of 2 they wont be loaded.

Im gonna look into this because from what it looks like is that the 6 series is actually inferior or possibley broken on this aspect. We should be able to bypass the D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 all together since our cards can display all sized textures...[/quote]

[right][post="24253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

I wish it was that simple, we looked into doing an application profile, however the code for exposing caps bits is at a much deeper level than doing an application profile and worse, it will create compatibility problems with other titles which use the caps bits correctly.

I saw the other thread on nvnews regarding this, and the assertions there are incorrect regarding POW2. There are two caps bits POW2, and NONPOW2CONDITIONAL which are used in Direct3D to specify the restrictions on the allowed types of width and height. The logic is convoluted unfortunately and is as follows:

POW2 = true, NONPOW2 = false means ALL 2D textures must be powers of 2.

POW2 = true, NONPOW2 = true means [b]conditional[/b] support for non-power of 2 textures. Conditions include restrictions on addressing, mip-maps etc.

POW2 = false, NONPOW2 = true means same as the previous one.

POW2 = false, NONPOW2 = false. Unconditional support for non-power of 2 textures. This is what GeForce6 supports - and hence what the driver exposes. Note that there is no way to set POW2 = true without saying that the hardware cannot do non-power of 2 textures properly.

The game checks for whether POW2 = true, and if not assumes incorrectly that POW2 textures are not supported. Note that prior to the 6 series no hardware could say POW2=false, NONPOW2=false.

I noticed that there is a new tool called DirectX Tweaker that you can get here:
[url="http://www.nonatainment.de/portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=7&tabid=19"]DirectX Tweaker[/url]

I downloaded it and it seems to support changing the POW2 caps. Haven't tried it out on Arx Fatalis yet since I don't have the install at home. Can you give it a spin? (I will try to do so too in the next few days.)
[quote name='CaptNKILL' date='Mar 21 2005, 03:21 PM']Here is some input from another thread about this. When I posted what Nvidia said about the issue, egbtmagus brought up an interesting point:

egbtmagus said:Hmm, that makes no sense. The game checks to see if the Card has a Texture Cap through D3D and if it doesn't it wont load the textures? D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 controls what size the textures can be for that card. If the bit is set to True all textures must be in the power of 2 to be loaded, if the textures are not of power of 2 they wont be loaded.

Im gonna look into this because from what it looks like is that the 6 series is actually inferior or possibley broken on this aspect. We should be able to bypass the D3DPTEXTURECAPS_POW2 all together since our cards can display all sized textures...

[post="24253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wish it was that simple, we looked into doing an application profile, however the code for exposing caps bits is at a much deeper level than doing an application profile and worse, it will create compatibility problems with other titles which use the caps bits correctly.

I saw the other thread on nvnews regarding this, and the assertions there are incorrect regarding POW2. There are two caps bits POW2, and NONPOW2CONDITIONAL which are used in Direct3D to specify the restrictions on the allowed types of width and height. The logic is convoluted unfortunately and is as follows:

POW2 = true, NONPOW2 = false means ALL 2D textures must be powers of 2.

POW2 = true, NONPOW2 = true means conditional support for non-power of 2 textures. Conditions include restrictions on addressing, mip-maps etc.

POW2 = false, NONPOW2 = true means same as the previous one.

POW2 = false, NONPOW2 = false. Unconditional support for non-power of 2 textures. This is what GeForce6 supports - and hence what the driver exposes. Note that there is no way to set POW2 = true without saying that the hardware cannot do non-power of 2 textures properly.

The game checks for whether POW2 = true, and if not assumes incorrectly that POW2 textures are not supported. Note that prior to the 6 series no hardware could say POW2=false, NONPOW2=false.

I noticed that there is a new tool called DirectX Tweaker that you can get here:

DirectX Tweaker

I downloaded it and it seems to support changing the POW2 caps. Haven't tried it out on Arx Fatalis yet since I don't have the install at home. Can you give it a spin? (I will try to do so too in the next few days.)

Posted 03/22/2005 04:12 AM   
Hey, thanks for posting some more info on this, it sounds like you guys really have been working on a fix for this. I appreciate the feedback.

Ive tried DirectX Tweaker and I couldnt figure out how to change the caps bits (though i did find them). Also, I couldnt get this program (or 3dAnalyze) to do anything at all with Arx Fatalis. They just dont seem to be able to effect the way the game works in any way. Even with simple things like adding FPS counters, it wont work in Arx. Someone else is trying to figure out this program too, but if you could keep at it im sure you know 100x more about it than any of us, so please, see what you can do.

I'll deffinitely post back here if anything else comes up :)

Thanks again for the help!
Hey, thanks for posting some more info on this, it sounds like you guys really have been working on a fix for this. I appreciate the feedback.

Ive tried DirectX Tweaker and I couldnt figure out how to change the caps bits (though i did find them). Also, I couldnt get this program (or 3dAnalyze) to do anything at all with Arx Fatalis. They just dont seem to be able to effect the way the game works in any way. Even with simple things like adding FPS counters, it wont work in Arx. Someone else is trying to figure out this program too, but if you could keep at it im sure you know 100x more about it than any of us, so please, see what you can do.

I'll deffinitely post back here if anything else comes up :)

Thanks again for the help!

Posted 03/22/2005 06:33 AM   
Ok... Just tried the DXtweak program as well.. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for me neither.
Although I tried various settings with the arx executable, nothing seems have any effect.

Any ideas?

N.b:
I've tried: Caps changer -> textures -> pow2 + cubemap_pow2 + volumemap_pow2
(with settings ranging from h: 2 w: 2 to h:1000 w: 1000)

and Post filter -> greyscale (just to see if anything worked, it didn't)

all these settings applied to ARX application file, executed from the DXtweaker program.
Ok... Just tried the DXtweak program as well.. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for me neither.

Although I tried various settings with the arx executable, nothing seems have any effect.

Any ideas?

N.b:

all these settings applied to ARX application file, executed from the DXtweaker program.

Posted 03/22/2005 03:31 PM   
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:31 AM']Ok... Just tried the DXtweak program as well.. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for me neither.

Any ideas?

N.b:

[right][post="24361"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Same things I tried, no luck. I guess the program works with some other games, just not arx.

I wish something driver related could be done. A simple toggle would still do it for me, as long as people know that itd probably break other games if turned on, I think itd be worth it to add into the drivers somehow. Maybe put it on a hidden driver page or something so people dont mess with it unless they know what they are doing. Hell, call it "Arx Fatalis texture fix" or something, so people only turn it on for that game. If theres no way to do this at all though... I guess this game is just broken forever :(
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:31 AM']Ok... Just tried the DXtweak program as well.. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for me neither.

Any ideas?

N.b:

[post="24361"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Same things I tried, no luck. I guess the program works with some other games, just not arx.

I wish something driver related could be done. A simple toggle would still do it for me, as long as people know that itd probably break other games if turned on, I think itd be worth it to add into the drivers somehow. Maybe put it on a hidden driver page or something so people dont mess with it unless they know what they are doing. Hell, call it "Arx Fatalis texture fix" or something, so people only turn it on for that game. If theres no way to do this at all though... I guess this game is just broken forever :(

Posted 03/24/2005 12:35 AM   
I can see why Nvidia is reluctant to do so. If all games with their own distinctive engine/render/drivercall problems, should have their own tab, box or setting in the Nvidia drivers; the interface could easily be cluttered with various 'toggles'. Increasing download size, and probably general stability of the drivers.
Not to mention it might not be possible.

I do understand your frustration. The fix seems so close at hand; the game works, the 3D graphics are very close to working, but we still we have to do with these white and textureless objects, monsters and backgrounds - which quite ruins the immersive factor of the game.

What I don't understand is the fact, that the Arkane developers completely lost interest in supporting their game. I guess since the game is still sold; and bundled with various videocard, they must still get paid for the work. In my opinion that gives them the responsibility to, at least, minimally support the game.

The only valid reason I can see for this negligence, must be that the developing company went broke.
I can see why Nvidia is reluctant to do so. If all games with their own distinctive engine/render/drivercall problems, should have their own tab, box or setting in the Nvidia drivers; the interface could easily be cluttered with various 'toggles'. Increasing download size, and probably general stability of the drivers.

Not to mention it might not be possible.

I do understand your frustration. The fix seems so close at hand; the game works, the 3D graphics are very close to working, but we still we have to do with these white and textureless objects, monsters and backgrounds - which quite ruins the immersive factor of the game.

What I don't understand is the fact, that the Arkane developers completely lost interest in supporting their game. I guess since the game is still sold; and bundled with various videocard, they must still get paid for the work. In my opinion that gives them the responsibility to, at least, minimally support the game.

The only valid reason I can see for this negligence, must be that the developing company went broke.

Posted 03/24/2005 10:16 AM   
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:16 AM']I do understand your frustration. The fix seems so close at hand; the game works, the 3D graphics are very close to working, but we still we have to do with these white and textureless objects, monsters and backgrounds - which quite ruins the immersive factor of the game.[/quote]

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. It was so annoying, I decided to fix it.

It's not a great fix, but it seems to work. In essence, I:
* Unpacked all the textures.
* Went through them systematically, looking for ones that weren't "power of 2".
* Rescaled them (with cubic interpolation) to "power of 2" size.

Unzip the zip file into your Arx Fatalis directory, and enjoy :D

I've only just started the game, but the ones I've tested (and know work):
* Miscellaneous wooden objects (barrels, buckets, pieces of wood).
* Various wood objects in Arx.
* Various metal objects in Arx.
* Clubs.
* Longwords.
* Torches.
* Bread.
* Public notices/signs.
* Dogs.
* Pigs.
* Rats.
* Long swords.

There are a bunch more that I haven't tested yet (because I haven't got there), but they should work - I used the same technique.

[b]UPDATE:[/b] Download the v2 textures, later in this thread.
[quote name='43n1m4' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:16 AM']I do understand your frustration. The fix seems so close at hand; the game works, the 3D graphics are very close to working, but we still we have to do with these white and textureless objects, monsters and backgrounds - which quite ruins the immersive factor of the game.

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. It was so annoying, I decided to fix it.

It's not a great fix, but it seems to work. In essence, I:

* Unpacked all the textures.

* Went through them systematically, looking for ones that weren't "power of 2".

* Rescaled them (with cubic interpolation) to "power of 2" size.

Unzip the zip file into your Arx Fatalis directory, and enjoy :D

I've only just started the game, but the ones I've tested (and know work):

* Miscellaneous wooden objects (barrels, buckets, pieces of wood).

* Various wood objects in Arx.

* Various metal objects in Arx.

* Clubs.

* Longwords.

* Torches.

* Bread.

* Public notices/signs.

* Dogs.

* Pigs.

* Rats.

* Long swords.

There are a bunch more that I haven't tested yet (because I haven't got there), but they should work - I used the same technique.

UPDATE: Download the v2 textures, later in this thread.

Posted 03/26/2005 02:30 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top