NAM bugs - others please confirm.
  1 / 22    
Am I the only one having issues with NAM (Network Access Manager) on the Nforce4 (using latest driver pack 6.39)

This is on a fresh installation of Windows XP (SP2 integrated) + Trend Micro Antivirus 12 (AV only no firewall installed)

When I enable the nVdia firewall on and just let the system idle - it usually runs very stable for a few hours but then suddenly reboot's (as in crashes)

If I disable the nVidia firewall the system is 100% stable for 48 hours straight (and probably longer)

I would really like to hear if others are having simular problems ?
Am I the only one having issues with NAM (Network Access Manager) on the Nforce4 (using latest driver pack 6.39)

This is on a fresh installation of Windows XP (SP2 integrated) + Trend Micro Antivirus 12 (AV only no firewall installed)

When I enable the nVdia firewall on and just let the system idle - it usually runs very stable for a few hours but then suddenly reboot's (as in crashes)

If I disable the nVidia firewall the system is 100% stable for 48 hours straight (and probably longer)

I would really like to hear if others are having simular problems ?

Posted 02/11/2005 09:39 AM   
dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.
dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.

Posted 02/11/2005 12:09 PM   
[quote name='boooggy' date='Feb 11 2005, 02:09 PM']dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.
[right][post="16400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Please elaborate ? Which problems have you encountered with it - simply 'not using' it doesn't solve anything. We all payed for a product with a hardware based firewall that works - why not help nVidia gather some info on what is wrong !
[quote name='boooggy' date='Feb 11 2005, 02:09 PM']dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.

[post="16400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please elaborate ? Which problems have you encountered with it - simply 'not using' it doesn't solve anything. We all payed for a product with a hardware based firewall that works - why not help nVidia gather some info on what is wrong !

Posted 02/11/2005 12:19 PM   
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 03:19 PM']Please elaborate ? Which problems have you encountered with it - simply 'not using' it doesn't solve anything. We all payed for a product with a hardware based firewall that works - why not help nVidia gather some info on what is wrong !
[right][post="16402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

During installation (I did 2 fresh installations) I got a few errors with nvidia corp\network\accessmanage\bin\fw_watch.exe, app_popup.exe, appfltui.dll and no run ntray fw.exe.
I think I should try dissabling win firewall first and then install nv firewall. I am not sure though what is wrong.

I also had one unexplained reboot during installation. I feel it was due to conflict with windows XP SP2 firewall? (I chose nv firewall which is the first selection).
Then I could not use live update in Norton antivirus 2005 and I couldn't access my network. I do not have the skills to make those work so I uninstalled NV firewall.

When I install Windows network elements, winXP SP2 automatically configures it's firewall. This doesn't happen with NV firewall.

Anyway I am going to read a bit more and try again later.
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 03:19 PM']Please elaborate ? Which problems have you encountered with it - simply 'not using' it doesn't solve anything. We all payed for a product with a hardware based firewall that works - why not help nVidia gather some info on what is wrong !

[post="16402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

During installation (I did 2 fresh installations) I got a few errors with nvidia corp\network\accessmanage\bin\fw_watch.exe, app_popup.exe, appfltui.dll and no run ntray fw.exe.

I think I should try dissabling win firewall first and then install nv firewall. I am not sure though what is wrong.

I also had one unexplained reboot during installation. I feel it was due to conflict with windows XP SP2 firewall? (I chose nv firewall which is the first selection).

Then I could not use live update in Norton antivirus 2005 and I couldn't access my network. I do not have the skills to make those work so I uninstalled NV firewall.

When I install Windows network elements, winXP SP2 automatically configures it's firewall. This doesn't happen with NV firewall.

Anyway I am going to read a bit more and try again later.

Posted 02/11/2005 02:06 PM   
[quote name='mariosalice' date='Feb 11 2005, 04:06 PM']During installation (I did 2 fresh installations) I got a few errors with nvidia corp\network\accessmanage\bin\fw_watch.exe, app_popup.exe, appfltui.dll and no run ntray fw.exe.
[right][post="16406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I had the same problems installing - using the international release. I got the install working by using the US installer.

I DID disable the windows firewall before installing the Nvidia firewall - made no difference. I doubt it's an installation issue - probably some flaw in the software itself :(

Pretty damn annoying - for me it was what made me buy a Nforce4 board :(
[quote name='mariosalice' date='Feb 11 2005, 04:06 PM']During installation (I did 2 fresh installations) I got a few errors with nvidia corp\network\accessmanage\bin\fw_watch.exe, app_popup.exe, appfltui.dll and no run ntray fw.exe.

[post="16406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I had the same problems installing - using the international release. I got the install working by using the US installer.

I DID disable the windows firewall before installing the Nvidia firewall - made no difference. I doubt it's an installation issue - probably some flaw in the software itself :(

Posted 02/11/2005 02:45 PM   
Anyone else getting this on a regular basis ?
Anyone else getting this on a regular basis ?

Posted 02/11/2005 02:58 PM   
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 10:58 AM']Anyone else getting this on a regular basis ?
[right][post="16415"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Have any of you that have problems with NAM tried uninstalling all of the nVidia Chipset drivers, doing a cleanup with [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net/"]DriverCleaner Pro[/url] in Safe Mode, and then restarting into Windows and reinstalling or just installing the chipset drivers?

I have an Asus A8n-Sli, and I've never had any problems with NAM, except that I could never install a newer version without first uninstalling the previous version first.
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 10:58 AM']Anyone else getting this on a regular basis ?

[post="16415"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have any of you that have problems with NAM tried uninstalling all of the nVidia Chipset drivers, doing a cleanup with DriverCleaner Pro in Safe Mode, and then restarting into Windows and reinstalling or just installing the chipset drivers?

I have an Asus A8n-Sli, and I've never had any problems with NAM, except that I could never install a newer version without first uninstalling the previous version first.

Posted 02/11/2005 03:34 PM   
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 05:45 PM']I had the same problems installing - using the international release. I got the install working by using the US installer.

[right][post="16414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

OK. You are right.
I found the same think myself.
I read the administrators guide pdf file and I found that the default Internet language should be one of the supported languages.

So I changed the first language in Internet explorer to English and this way everything was OK. No shutdowns no problems

Then I downloaded and installed the English version just to be the safe side.

As for the other problem with Norton live update I found a work around. I dissabled the active armor and voilla. NAV 2005 live update works fine.

I think that active armor does the same job like NAV's Internet worm protection so I don't think I miss anything.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
[quote name='p0rnflake' date='Feb 11 2005, 05:45 PM']I had the same problems installing - using the international release. I got the install working by using the US installer.

[post="16414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OK. You are right.

I found the same think myself.

I read the administrators guide pdf file and I found that the default Internet language should be one of the supported languages.

So I changed the first language in Internet explorer to English and this way everything was OK. No shutdowns no problems

Then I downloaded and installed the English version just to be the safe side.

As for the other problem with Norton live update I found a work around. I dissabled the active armor and voilla. NAV 2005 live update works fine.

I think that active armor does the same job like NAV's Internet worm protection so I don't think I miss anything.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Posted 02/11/2005 08:17 PM   
[quote name='boooggy' date='Feb 11 2005, 03:09 PM']dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.
[right][post="16400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why a software firewall when we can have a hardware one for free?
A software firewall takes a lot of resourses.

I have been using it for a few hours now and I have no more problems
(I had a few at the befining but now everything is OK).
[quote name='boooggy' date='Feb 11 2005, 03:09 PM']dude it seems that this software is too buggy. dont install it. and use a software firewall.

[post="16400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why a software firewall when we can have a hardware one for free?

A software firewall takes a lot of resourses.

I have been using it for a few hours now and I have no more problems

(I had a few at the befining but now everything is OK).

Posted 02/11/2005 08:24 PM   
[quote name='JRd1st' date='Feb 11 2005, 05:34 PM']Have any of you that have problems with NAM tried uninstalling all of the nVidia Chipset drivers, doing a cleanup with [url="http://www.drivercleaner.net/"]DriverCleaner Pro[/url] in Safe Mode, and then restarting into Windows and reinstalling or just installing the chipset drivers?

[right][post="16421"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The problem does not occour when updating but when installing on a clean system !
[quote name='JRd1st' date='Feb 11 2005, 05:34 PM']Have any of you that have problems with NAM tried uninstalling all of the nVidia Chipset drivers, doing a cleanup with DriverCleaner Pro in Safe Mode, and then restarting into Windows and reinstalling or just installing the chipset drivers?

[post="16421"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The problem does not occour when updating but when installing on a clean system !

Posted 02/11/2005 09:35 PM   
My NAM has been crashing my system as well. I would very much like to use it. It seems odd that it actually crashes the entire system. NVidia def. needs to do something about these random system crashes.

:EDIT: Okay, I have confirmed that my computer doesnt crash until using p2p software such as Limewire or Emule. I was downloading files via Bittorrent for 36 hours without a crash but within seconds after loading limewire my system crashed. Same with Eule though, within seconds after loading it my system crashes. Can anyone else confirm that theres crashes when using p2p software?
My NAM has been crashing my system as well. I would very much like to use it. It seems odd that it actually crashes the entire system. NVidia def. needs to do something about these random system crashes.

:EDIT: Okay, I have confirmed that my computer doesnt crash until using p2p software such as Limewire or Emule. I was downloading files via Bittorrent for 36 hours without a crash but within seconds after loading limewire my system crashed. Same with Eule though, within seconds after loading it my system crashes. Can anyone else confirm that theres crashes when using p2p software?

Posted 02/21/2005 01:19 AM   
I am having some issues, though it is not stability related.

When I use p2p software like bittorrent, the firewall eats all my memory. I have 1GB and I don't use virtual memory. If I let Azureus (for example) working for some time Windows starts complaining of "Out of Memory".

Does anyone know how to make Nv firewall a little less memory hungry? Thanks a lot.
I am having some issues, though it is not stability related.

When I use p2p software like bittorrent, the firewall eats all my memory. I have 1GB and I don't use virtual memory. If I let Azureus (for example) working for some time Windows starts complaining of "Out of Memory".

Does anyone know how to make Nv firewall a little less memory hungry? Thanks a lot.

Posted 02/22/2005 12:46 AM   
[quote name='Rash' date='Feb 21 2005, 06:46 PM']I am having some issues, though it is not stability related.

[right][post="18605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I am not entirely sure this has anything to do with the firewall. The firewall processes are apache.exe, ntrayfw.exe, nsvcip.exe, nsvcappflt.exe, and nsvclog.exe. The memory usage of the firewall processes combined are less than 10MB on my system.. BTW, you should use virtual memory regardless of how much ram you have, I dont know if Azureus is a p2p software or what but when downloading files on p2p they will store quite a bit of data in the ram or pagefile before dumping it to disk.
[quote name='Rash' date='Feb 21 2005, 06:46 PM']I am having some issues, though it is not stability related.

[post="18605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am not entirely sure this has anything to do with the firewall. The firewall processes are apache.exe, ntrayfw.exe, nsvcip.exe, nsvcappflt.exe, and nsvclog.exe. The memory usage of the firewall processes combined are less than 10MB on my system.. BTW, you should use virtual memory regardless of how much ram you have, I dont know if Azureus is a p2p software or what but when downloading files on p2p they will store quite a bit of data in the ram or pagefile before dumping it to disk.

Posted 02/22/2005 08:55 PM   
[quote name='inteGReddy' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:55 PM']I am not entirely sure this has anything to do with the firewall. The firewall processes are apache.exe, ntrayfw.exe, nsvcip.exe, nsvcappflt.exe, and nsvclog.exe. The memory usage of the firewall processes combined are less than 10MB on my system.. BTW, you should use virtual memory regardless of how much ram you have, I dont know if Azureus is a p2p software or what but when downloading files on p2p they will store quite a bit of data in the ram or pagefile before dumping it to disk.
[right][post="18790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Well, it has to do with a software from NVIDIA because neither Azureus nor Zone Alarm used to do that on my older system. Maybe it is the chip itself allocating some memory? I don't know.

Nevertheless I will do some more tests. ;)

Anyway, today I got my first BSOD. :( I'm soooo sad. I honestly believe this won't happen again.
[quote name='inteGReddy' date='Feb 22 2005, 05:55 PM']I am not entirely sure this has anything to do with the firewall. The firewall processes are apache.exe, ntrayfw.exe, nsvcip.exe, nsvcappflt.exe, and nsvclog.exe. The memory usage of the firewall processes combined are less than 10MB on my system.. BTW, you should use virtual memory regardless of how much ram you have, I dont know if Azureus is a p2p software or what but when downloading files on p2p they will store quite a bit of data in the ram or pagefile before dumping it to disk.

[post="18790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, it has to do with a software from NVIDIA because neither Azureus nor Zone Alarm used to do that on my older system. Maybe it is the chip itself allocating some memory? I don't know.

Nevertheless I will do some more tests. ;)

Anyway, today I got my first BSOD. :( I'm soooo sad. I honestly believe this won't happen again.

Posted 02/23/2005 01:29 AM   
Interesting, I solved my crash problems by disabling ActiveArmor. I was looking at its logs and it was empty. It had not produced any activity, no blocks, no warnings no nothing. So I realised it wasn't being used for my connection type.

Now I have the P2P problem. Please tell me it is a software bug and NVIDIA is working on it.
Interesting, I solved my crash problems by disabling ActiveArmor. I was looking at its logs and it was empty. It had not produced any activity, no blocks, no warnings no nothing. So I realised it wasn't being used for my connection type.

Now I have the P2P problem. Please tell me it is a software bug and NVIDIA is working on it.

Posted 02/24/2005 02:58 PM   
  1 / 22    
Scroll To Top