Age of Mythology Texture Problems Missing Textures in WHQL Drivers
When using either the 66.93 WHQL drivers or the 67.66 beta drivers, I get missing textures in Age of Mythology (with or without The Tinans expansion). This is not the same problem as the black-texture problem others had with drivers in the past, although it may be related.

Specifically, some of the banner textures (top right of the screen) and the team-indicator color textures turn white, making it impossible to tell one team from another.

I have an XFX GeForce TI-4200. The game works flawlessly with the 61.77 drivers.

I'm more interested in letting nVidia know that their drivers may have a problem than getting this to work on my machine. I can live with the older drivers for the time being, but it seems that nVidia is not aware of the problem (I cannot find it in their Knowledge base, nor can I find a way to post a question there, despite having registered).

On a friend's machine running the same game on a GeForce 3, all textures turned white, making the game completely unplayable. I'm not sure if this was a related problem, but rolling back to 61.77 fixed his problem as well.

I'm attaching a screenshot showing the problem. Notice the white stripes on the units. They should be red, not white.
When using either the 66.93 WHQL drivers or the 67.66 beta drivers, I get missing textures in Age of Mythology (with or without The Tinans expansion). This is not the same problem as the black-texture problem others had with drivers in the past, although it may be related.

Specifically, some of the banner textures (top right of the screen) and the team-indicator color textures turn white, making it impossible to tell one team from another.

I have an XFX GeForce TI-4200. The game works flawlessly with the 61.77 drivers.

I'm more interested in letting nVidia know that their drivers may have a problem than getting this to work on my machine. I can live with the older drivers for the time being, but it seems that nVidia is not aware of the problem (I cannot find it in their Knowledge base, nor can I find a way to post a question there, despite having registered).

On a friend's machine running the same game on a GeForce 3, all textures turned white, making the game completely unplayable. I'm not sure if this was a related problem, but rolling back to 61.77 fixed his problem as well.

I'm attaching a screenshot showing the problem. Notice the white stripes on the units. They should be red, not white.

Posted 01/24/2005 07:13 PM   
the newer drivers correct rendering problems for 6 series cards - if 61.77 works then use that driver...
the newer drivers correct rendering problems for 6 series cards - if 61.77 works then use that driver...

Posted 01/24/2005 11:05 PM   
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Jan 24 2005, 06:05 PM']the newer drivers correct rendering problems for 6 series cards - if 61.77 works then use that driver...
[right][post="12598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I [b]did[/b] already say that I can roll back to the old drivers. That doesn't change the fact that there is a problem.

I'm aware that the new drivers are only for improvments on new cards, but I tried them out in case nVidia had fixed the problem (and they haven't).

The [i]real[/i] issue here is that when someone downloads new drivers, they're likely to download the 66.93 WHQL from nVidia, and these drivers have a real problem with older cards (GeForce 3 and 4) in a game where there was not a problem previously.

The 61.77 drivers, which I'm pretty sure are not WHQL, did work. Newer driver versions broke. That is a problem, whether anybody wants to acknowledge it or not.

I know that WHQL doesn't mean much, and I doubt I'll get an answer here, but I'm trying to let nVidia know there is a problem. I'll say it again: I'll keep using the 61.77 drivers. But someday I may have to upgrade my drivers (new OS, etc.), and I'd be really upset if Age of Mythology stopped being playable.

If there is a more appropriate channel for sending bug-reports to nVidia, then I'll gladly use it. Microsoft has already determined for other people that this is a driver problem (with the XP drivers, I believe, as it works fine on 98), and I've spent about 30 minutes on nVidia's site trying to figure out how to submit a bug report, but the "Ask a Question" page never goes anywhere.
[quote name='GPU BURNER' date='Jan 24 2005, 06:05 PM']the newer drivers correct rendering problems for 6 series cards - if 61.77 works then use that driver...

[post="12598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I did already say that I can roll back to the old drivers. That doesn't change the fact that there is a problem.

I'm aware that the new drivers are only for improvments on new cards, but I tried them out in case nVidia had fixed the problem (and they haven't).

The real issue here is that when someone downloads new drivers, they're likely to download the 66.93 WHQL from nVidia, and these drivers have a real problem with older cards (GeForce 3 and 4) in a game where there was not a problem previously.

The 61.77 drivers, which I'm pretty sure are not WHQL, did work. Newer driver versions broke. That is a problem, whether anybody wants to acknowledge it or not.

I know that WHQL doesn't mean much, and I doubt I'll get an answer here, but I'm trying to let nVidia know there is a problem. I'll say it again: I'll keep using the 61.77 drivers. But someday I may have to upgrade my drivers (new OS, etc.), and I'd be really upset if Age of Mythology stopped being playable.

If there is a more appropriate channel for sending bug-reports to nVidia, then I'll gladly use it. Microsoft has already determined for other people that this is a driver problem (with the XP drivers, I believe, as it works fine on 98), and I've spent about 30 minutes on nVidia's site trying to figure out how to submit a bug report, but the "Ask a Question" page never goes anywhere.

Posted 01/25/2005 01:56 AM   
guess it helps to read the info they provide to see what issues are corrected and what cards are provided optimised support
guess it helps to read the info they provide to see what issues are corrected and what cards are provided optimised support

Posted 01/25/2005 02:41 AM   
Allow me to rephrase this, since my request has been misinterpreted.

How do I inform nVidia of a possible bug in their drivers?

Unfortunately, in the latest WHQL drivers, there is a problem with the drivers. Seeing as the problem is not listed in the "Open Issues in Version XX.XX" or in "Issues Resolved in Version XX.XX", ([i]Yes, I read them, thank you very much[/i]) I can only assume that nVidia is [b]UNAWARE[/b] of the problem.

I'm trying to do the responsible thing and inform the driver developers, but their website offers no way to submit a question or bug report. The closest I got was [url="http://www.nvidia.com/content/support/support_int.asp"]http://www.nvidia.com/content/support/support_int.asp[/url] which does not let me "Ask a Question" (despite being labelled as such), even after I created a user account there.

So I stumble upon this site and assume this is how nVidia learns of bugs that their rigorous testing has missed. Confirmation that I'm on the right track would be nice, but I'm starting to think this is pointless.

If nothing else, I'd like the bug to be listed in the nVidia Knowledge base so that others who have the same problem do not have to pull their hair out installing different driver versions trying to get their video card to work. Official advice from nVidia to install an older driver (along with a link to said driver) would save people time.

I am not demading it be fixed now, and I'm not threatening to buy another company's card. I like my current video card, and it works very well, and I'd hate to see my experience ruined because nVidia was unaware of a bug which I considered crucial.

That's what happened to the "other GPU company" years ago, which is why I bought the nVidia card in the first place.
Allow me to rephrase this, since my request has been misinterpreted.

How do I inform nVidia of a possible bug in their drivers?

Unfortunately, in the latest WHQL drivers, there is a problem with the drivers. Seeing as the problem is not listed in the "Open Issues in Version XX.XX" or in "Issues Resolved in Version XX.XX", (Yes, I read them, thank you very much) I can only assume that nVidia is UNAWARE of the problem.

I'm trying to do the responsible thing and inform the driver developers, but their website offers no way to submit a question or bug report. The closest I got was http://www.nvidia.com/content/support/support_int.asp which does not let me "Ask a Question" (despite being labelled as such), even after I created a user account there.

So I stumble upon this site and assume this is how nVidia learns of bugs that their rigorous testing has missed. Confirmation that I'm on the right track would be nice, but I'm starting to think this is pointless.

If nothing else, I'd like the bug to be listed in the nVidia Knowledge base so that others who have the same problem do not have to pull their hair out installing different driver versions trying to get their video card to work. Official advice from nVidia to install an older driver (along with a link to said driver) would save people time.

I am not demading it be fixed now, and I'm not threatening to buy another company's card. I like my current video card, and it works very well, and I'd hate to see my experience ruined because nVidia was unaware of a bug which I considered crucial.

That's what happened to the "other GPU company" years ago, which is why I bought the nVidia card in the first place.

Posted 01/25/2005 06:06 AM   
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=123"]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=123[/url]

Posted 01/26/2005 04:44 AM   
Okay, I reread the site guidelines, and realized that while there is a small chance that somebody here may be able to help, I'm definately in the wrong place.

Sorry for wasting everybody's time.

I'd gladly take nVidia's advice and contact XFX, but I've done this before for a problem with the WDM drivers and got absolutely nowhere. I'll do it anyway, since I know that others have the same problem (or worse) in AoM, but I already know how XFX is going to reply, and it'll be very similar to Microsoft's reply.

Seeing as nVidia provides no direct outlet for submitting bug reports, I'll just sit back and hope that the problem gets fixed, either directly or indirectly, in a future update. I'll continue to read release notes from future driver versions, for at least a slight mention of the problem. I'll continue to search the Knowledge base in case nVidia does put something up (how do "FAQs" get there in the first place, is what I really want to know....somebody has to [i]ask[/i] a question first).

If anyone [b]does[/b] have any idea how to fix the problem, I'll of course be very thankful.

And for anyone who finds this forum post (assuming it doesn't get deleted) while looking for the same answer I have been looking for, I apologize in advance. I know I've read about 2 dozen similar questions about the problem that didn't go anywhere helpful. I feel your pain.

Once again, sorry for wasting valuable time.
Okay, I reread the site guidelines, and realized that while there is a small chance that somebody here may be able to help, I'm definately in the wrong place.

Sorry for wasting everybody's time.

I'd gladly take nVidia's advice and contact XFX, but I've done this before for a problem with the WDM drivers and got absolutely nowhere. I'll do it anyway, since I know that others have the same problem (or worse) in AoM, but I already know how XFX is going to reply, and it'll be very similar to Microsoft's reply.

Seeing as nVidia provides no direct outlet for submitting bug reports, I'll just sit back and hope that the problem gets fixed, either directly or indirectly, in a future update. I'll continue to read release notes from future driver versions, for at least a slight mention of the problem. I'll continue to search the Knowledge base in case nVidia does put something up (how do "FAQs" get there in the first place, is what I really want to know....somebody has to ask a question first).

If anyone does have any idea how to fix the problem, I'll of course be very thankful.

And for anyone who finds this forum post (assuming it doesn't get deleted) while looking for the same answer I have been looking for, I apologize in advance. I know I've read about 2 dozen similar questions about the problem that didn't go anywhere helpful. I feel your pain.

Once again, sorry for wasting valuable time.

Posted 01/26/2005 05:38 AM   
could write a letter to nvidia explaining the problem - they might not reply but at least you would know the info got in the door... by the way i love playing this game too and would not want to find out i bought a card that had a driver that would not alow me to play it... good luck

nvidia.com has a contact information tab that gives the address and a phone and fax number
could write a letter to nvidia explaining the problem - they might not reply but at least you would know the info got in the door... by the way i love playing this game too and would not want to find out i bought a card that had a driver that would not alow me to play it... good luck

nvidia.com has a contact information tab that gives the address and a phone and fax number

Posted 01/26/2005 05:44 AM   
Scroll To Top