Dual Monitor Recommendations
Hi folks. I need some advice. I have a system with dual EVGA GTX980 Ti cards currently in SLI. I have two monitors that I want to put into a dual monitor configuration. The primary monitor is a Dell UP3216Q with a 4k resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. The second monitor is a Dell U3011 with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. Currently I have the monitors both hooked to two of the mini Display Ports on one of the GTX980s (the first one closest to the CPU). Both monitors work and the "desktop" spans across the UP3216Q continuing onto the U3011 as the mouse is moved from left to right. I really think I want the displays to be totally independent from one another and not have the desktop spanned across the two. Possibly have two separate "desktops" if you will where program launch icons on the secondary display would launch the program directly to that display and not have the launched program appear on the primary display would be ideal. Is it possible to use the two GTX cards independently? Will I have to remove the SLI bridge and simply connect each monitor to its own card? Or is there a software setting that would allow me to make the displays independent of one another? Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Hi folks. I need some advice.

I have a system with dual EVGA GTX980 Ti cards currently in SLI. I have two monitors that I want to put into a dual monitor configuration. The primary monitor is a Dell UP3216Q with a 4k resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. The second monitor is a Dell U3011 with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels.

Currently I have the monitors both hooked to two of the mini Display Ports on one of the GTX980s (the first one closest to the CPU). Both monitors work and the "desktop" spans across the UP3216Q continuing onto the U3011 as the mouse is moved from left to right.

I really think I want the displays to be totally independent from one another and not have the desktop spanned across the two. Possibly have two separate "desktops" if you will where program launch icons on the secondary display would launch the program directly to that display and not have the launched program appear on the primary display would be ideal.

Is it possible to use the two GTX cards independently? Will I have to remove the SLI bridge and simply connect each monitor to its own card? Or is there a software setting that would allow me to make the displays independent of one another?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Posted 04/16/2018 01:03 PM   
no. DWM and explorer.exe are single gpu context only. any amount of 'gpu util' on the second card is just to output what has already been prepared and copied across from the gpu attached to the primary gpu. It is an ongoing failing on microsofts part to take advantage multiple device contexts.
no.

DWM and explorer.exe are single gpu context only.

any amount of 'gpu util' on the second card is just to output what has already been prepared and copied across from the gpu attached to the primary gpu.

It is an ongoing failing on microsofts part to take advantage multiple device contexts.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

CPU:Intel Xeon x5670 @ 3.8Gz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:24GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB
Monitor:55" Thorn TV, Sound:Sony Muteki 7.1
SDD:Crucial MX200 250, HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case:NZXT Phantom 410, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 10
Cooler: ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 120M BW Rev.A

Posted 04/16/2018 02:02 PM   
Thanks Sora.... even if it is bad news for me.
Thanks Sora.... even if it is bad news for me.

Posted 04/16/2018 07:51 PM   
You must have implemented the "surround" feature in Nvidia's control panel, if the desktop is spanning across both displays. Uncheck it and right click your desktop, select "screen resolution" and in the window that pops up, select extend these displays. This is for W7, 10 should be similar?
You must have implemented the "surround" feature in Nvidia's control panel, if the desktop is spanning across both displays.

Uncheck it and right click your desktop, select "screen resolution" and in the window that pops up, select extend these displays. This is for W7, 10 should be similar?

Posted 04/19/2018 03:03 AM   
Scroll To Top