deactivate gpu in gs70
Hello, its a bit complicated, so i have an MSI GS70 laptop with an 970 in it which is broken. That means when i turn it on i get a bluescreen in win10 within a few seconds. Sometimes i was able to get into the control panel and change the prefered graphics to the intel hd, then i just deactivated the 970 in the device manager and i was able to use my laptop. but after every restart the 970 turns on even if its deactivated and makes my laptop hot, so i had to activate it again try to get into the control panel set prefered gpu again and deactivate it again. i tried clean all nvidia stuff with driver uninstaller and deactivate the gpu doesnt work its on i tried several different drivers i manually stop services and so on the thing just doesnt stop and increses my laptop temperature a lot. so the only way to stop it was the first procedure, which now doesnt work no more somehow i cant get into the control panel before the bluescreen no more. if you think repair, im not able to afford it and its to expensive. i just want to deaktivate the thing, i also tried to find the settings for prefered gpu in the registry or on some settings file but i couldnt find anything. google doesnt help either its mainly full of the opposite thing like to deactivate the internal gpu and how to set the dedicated to work. anyone can help? i need a way to completly shut down the 970. thx in advance
Hello,
its a bit complicated, so i have an MSI GS70 laptop with an 970 in it which is broken. That means when i turn it on i get a bluescreen in win10 within a few seconds. Sometimes i was able to get into the control panel and change the prefered graphics to the intel hd, then i just deactivated the 970 in the device manager and i was able to use my laptop. but after every restart the 970 turns on even if its deactivated and makes my laptop hot, so i had to activate it again try to get into the control panel set prefered gpu again and deactivate it again. i tried clean all nvidia stuff with driver uninstaller and deactivate the gpu doesnt work its on i tried several different drivers i manually stop services and so on the thing just doesnt stop and increses my laptop temperature a lot. so the only way to stop it was the first procedure, which now doesnt work no more somehow i cant get into the control panel before the bluescreen no more. if you think repair, im not able to afford it and its to expensive. i just want to deaktivate the thing, i also tried to find the settings for prefered gpu in the registry or on some settings file but i couldnt find anything. google doesnt help either its mainly full of the opposite thing like to deactivate the internal gpu and how to set the dedicated to work.
anyone can help? i need a way to completly shut down the 970. thx in advance

Posted 02/13/2018 06:03 PM   
its an msi gs70 qe, mainboard is a Micro-star ms-17731 the error is video failure nvkms something i check again later it enters an bluescreen when the gpu gets activated, which takes a few seconds, sometimes i were able to start the nvidia control panel and to deactivate the preferred programs to internal gpu then quickly to deactivate the 970 in the device manager, then everything is fine, indicator is a white powerbutton and a nice cool system , but after a restart the gpu is still deactivated in the control panel but the powerbutton is red and the laptop gets hot.... i was unable to remove the gpu from the mainboard, also tried to uninstall all drivers , there is no settings in the bios and i could not find settings for preferred settings for nvidia in files and registry. thx for your efforts
its an msi gs70 qe, mainboard is a Micro-star ms-17731 the error is video failure nvkms something i check again later
it enters an bluescreen when the gpu gets activated, which takes a few seconds, sometimes i were able to start the nvidia control panel and to deactivate the preferred programs to internal gpu then quickly to deactivate the 970 in the device manager, then everything is fine, indicator is a white powerbutton and a nice cool system , but after a restart the gpu is still deactivated in the control panel but the powerbutton is red and the laptop gets hot....
i was unable to remove the gpu from the mainboard, also tried to uninstall all drivers , there is no settings in the bios and i could not find settings for preferred settings for nvidia in files and registry.
thx for your efforts

Posted 02/13/2018 06:03 PM   
[quote]i have an MSI GS70 laptop with an 970 in it which is broken.[/quote] Pull it out.
i have an MSI GS70 laptop with an 970 in it which is broken.
Pull it out.

Facebook PC parts Trade/Sales page

Help fight Cancer, Diabetes, Neuro-degenerative, and other disease's while you sleep!
MS-Physics (Thermal Dynamics)/BA-IT/BS-Electronic Engineering
Asus and MSI mobile service center

My main rig:
100% Hard-line Custom liquid Cooled
OS- Win8.1 x64
CPU- i7-4790k @ 4.8Ghz 1.289v (Turbo OFF) Liquid Cooled
RAM-16GB TEAM Xtreme DDR3 @ 2400Mhz (9-12-11-30)1.625v
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z97X Gamer GT (vF6)
Main Graphics- 2-way SLI EVGA GTX1070 (v385.41)
OS SSD: 3x 240Gb Kingston HyperX 3K RAID 0 = 720Gb
Game SSDs- 3x 240Gb Mushkin Reactors (D,E,F drives)
Backup HDD- 3Tb Seagate Cuda (ST3000DM001)
Power Supply- Corsair RM-1000i
3x Surround Samsung 27" via DP (7680 x 1440p)

Radio Server/ Scientific Simulator
CPU1- Xeon X5650 6C/12T @ 3.2Ghz (locked)
CPU2- Xeon X5650 6C/12T @ 3.2Ghz (locked)
Motherboard- Asus Z8PE-D12X
RAM- G-Skill RipJaws 24Gb (6x4Gb) DDR3 @ 1600Mhz Cas8 1.5v
Graphics- GTX780 + GTX560 (v347.88)
HDDs- WD RED 3TB (3x3TB) Raid 0= 9TB +1 3Tb back up
PSU- Corsair CX750M
Monitor- 768p Dell P.O.S via DVI-I

STILL working Nvidia GPUs-
FX5200,FX5700,6800GT,7900GT(x2),8800GTS(x2),9800GTX,
GTX275(x2),GTX285(x2),GTX295(x2),GTX470(x3),GTX480,
GTX660ti(x3),GTX770(x3),GTX780,GTX1050ti,GTX1070(x2)

HWbot Overclocking results

OVERCLOCKING LEAGUE RANKING
Worldwide: #1771 out of 51912
Extreme League: #1255 out of 2826
National: #213 of 20048 in United States
Team: #70 of 3166 in Overclock.net

Posted 02/13/2018 06:36 PM   
i cant its on the board. i need a way to really deactivate it in win 10
i cant its on the board. i need a way to really deactivate it in win 10

Posted 02/13/2018 09:10 PM   
. The problem is that the only way to DEACTIVATE something in Windows is via the DEVICE MANAGER and uninstalling the DRIVERS. So, Uninstall the NVIDIA DRIVERS using DDU. Then Disable the Item in the Device Manager. IF the GPU is actually bad though, there is a HARDWARE layer called the BIOS that still sees it and assigns resources there that can create a problem in the OS. I would suggest hitting up the MSI Forums as some of these units have an ability to disable the GPUs in the BIOS. No Manual to work from to know where and what settings. ======================= Also, this unit was not designed for Windows 10. But if you were using a PRE-1709 Build, you can install the DRIVERS from MSI for the Windows 8.1. If the reason the 970 is not working is because you do not have the CERTIFIED DRIVERS that are required for the Intel | NVIDIA But if youre sure its a DEAD GPU, disregard that above 3 sentences. .

The problem is that the only way to DEACTIVATE something in Windows is via the DEVICE MANAGER and uninstalling the DRIVERS.

So, Uninstall the NVIDIA DRIVERS using DDU.
Then Disable the Item in the Device Manager.

IF the GPU is actually bad though, there is a HARDWARE layer called the BIOS that still sees it and assigns resources there that can create a problem in the OS.

I would suggest hitting up the MSI Forums as some of these units have an ability to disable the GPUs in the BIOS.

No Manual to work from to know where and what settings.

=======================

Also, this unit was not designed for Windows 10. But if you were using a PRE-1709 Build, you can install the DRIVERS from MSI for the Windows 8.1.

If the reason the 970 is not working is because you do not have the CERTIFIED DRIVERS that are required for the Intel | NVIDIA

But if youre sure its a DEAD GPU, disregard that above 3 sentences.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 02/14/2018 02:13 AM   
jep im trying to get a custom bios atm, i also tried different drivers and getting clean with ddu, still the gpu somehow gets triggered in the background. i still wonder why the control panel setting to integrated gpu works and then some weird windows or bios stuff sets it back even with uninstalled driver and or disabled device in the device manager, where does the system or nvidia saves those setting, could not find it on files or registry...
jep im trying to get a custom bios atm, i also tried different drivers and getting clean with ddu, still the gpu somehow gets triggered in the background.
i still wonder why the control panel setting to integrated gpu works and then some weird windows or bios stuff sets it back even with uninstalled driver and or disabled device in the device manager, where does the system or nvidia saves those setting, could not find it on files or registry...

Posted 02/14/2018 05:28 AM   
fresh install doesnt work windows gets the gpu and activates it... at least i found a temperature solution now with an msi tool i can control the fan of the gpu manually so that helps a lot with the temperature. also tried a lot of older nvidia drivers but nothing worked always have to go to safe mode to deactivate the gpu in the device manager. i dont know if its a driver prob or win 10 there should be some ways to really deactivate the thing at least in the registry. and why does the preferred gpu setting in the nvidia control panel fix it, it must save those settings somewhere... wasted so much time, i think its better i just get a new laptop :(
fresh install doesnt work windows gets the gpu and activates it... at least i found a temperature solution now with an msi tool i can control the fan of the gpu manually so that helps a lot with the temperature. also tried a lot of older nvidia drivers but nothing worked always have to go to safe mode to deactivate the gpu in the device manager. i dont know if its a driver prob or win 10 there should be some ways to really deactivate the thing at least in the registry. and why does the preferred gpu setting in the nvidia control panel fix it, it must save those settings somewhere... wasted so much time, i think its better i just get a new laptop :(

Posted 02/14/2018 12:00 PM   
. Just want to Clarify, When I say CERTIFIED DRIVERS, Im not meaning some random sets from all over the internet or from NVIDIA. This Laptop requires MSI provided Drivers - these are the CERTIFIED. The issue comes to the fact that the Laptop was not designed | released for Windows 10, so the drivers available are Windows 8.1 When Windows 1709 Build came out, they blocked the use of Windows 8 drivers from being used. Essentially disabling OLDER Hardware. But Try this for disabling the GPU..... Disable the Windows 10 [url=https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html]Driver updating[/url]. Download the DISABLE .REG files in [color="orange"]Options 2 and 4[/color] Merge one of the DISABLE .REG files, REBOOT. Merge the second DISABLE .REG file, REBOOT. Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER) Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Run DDU [.]Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, do not restart[/.] Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> [color="orange"]Un[/color]check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Then, if it is still happening after that, see if you can find out what driver version the GPU says it is using. .

Just want to Clarify, When I say CERTIFIED DRIVERS, Im not meaning some random sets from all over the internet or from NVIDIA.

This Laptop requires MSI provided Drivers - these are the CERTIFIED.

The issue comes to the fact that the Laptop was not designed | released for Windows 10, so the drivers available are Windows 8.1

When Windows 1709 Build came out, they blocked the use of Windows 8 drivers from being used. Essentially disabling OLDER Hardware.

But Try this for disabling the GPU.....

Disable the Windows 10 Driver updating. Download the DISABLE .REG files in Options 2 and 4

Merge one of the DISABLE .REG files, REBOOT.
Merge the second DISABLE .REG file, REBOOT.

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER)

Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Run DDU
  • Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers
  • Select: Clean, do not restart

• Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> Uncheck the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Then, if it is still happening after that, see if you can find out what driver version the GPU says it is using.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 02/14/2018 02:25 PM   
    so i went to the nvidia and msi forum, i tried at least 5 more drivers, changed the windows update setting, uninstalled and installed stuff but nothing worked. also worked hours on the registry and windows policies. nothing worked. but finally i found a guy in the msi forum who makes custom BIOS for MSI Mainboards, yeah that finally did it, its kinda of crazy that BIOS gives you crazy options to tweak anything on the board really cool so i could easily and finally deactivate the Geforce card. My system runs smooth and quiet again, well gaming isnt good for 3a but enough for rimworld eu4 and stuff like that. shout outs to Svet https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=134259.0 thx to everyone helping me
    so i went to the nvidia and msi forum, i tried at least 5 more drivers, changed the windows update setting, uninstalled and installed stuff but nothing worked. also worked hours on the registry and windows policies. nothing worked.
    but finally i found a guy in the msi forum who makes custom BIOS for MSI Mainboards, yeah that finally did it, its kinda of crazy that BIOS gives you crazy options to tweak anything on the board really cool so i could easily and finally deactivate the Geforce card. My system runs smooth and quiet again, well gaming isnt good for 3a but enough for rimworld eu4 and stuff like that. shout outs to Svet https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=134259.0

thx to everyone helping me

Posted 02/15/2018 06:50 AM   
    . AWESOME!!!!!! .

AWESOME!!!!!!

Posted 02/15/2018 03:52 PM   
    Scroll To Top