Power consumption/dGPU deactivation - Laptop GTX1060/70/80, Nvidia Optimus
Hello, I have a question concerning the power consumption of GTX 1060/1070/1080 (Laptop, no MaxQ) with Nvidia Optimus under Ubuntu or Windows 10: As I have understood it correctly, Nvidia Optimus allows me to use the energy saving onboard GPU for simple tasks instead of the dedicated GPU. But does that mean that ... 1) ... I am able to disable the dGPU completely so that there will be no difference in energy consumption for all models for this mode? 2) ... all models will use the (nearly) same amount of energy when not needed (like an efficient standby mode) so that the choice of the dGPU in the Laptop (and thus the battery lifetime) is only relevant for the time when the dGPU is needed? 3) ... the better models will need significantly more power even when Optimus is activated and the dGPU is not needed? I intend to know how Nvidia Optimus works to decide on the choice of a suitable Notebook for hours of maximum load for the dGPU when the Laptop is connected to the power adapter on the one side and several hours of battery life for simple programming tasks with the onboard GPU. For very serious calculations I will use a Desktop in the future but for some experiments in Machine Learning I intend to get a Laptop with reasonable compromises. When 2) or even 1) is possible I would go with the better models... Greetings Heringsalat
Hello,

I have a question concerning the power consumption of GTX 1060/1070/1080 (Laptop, no MaxQ) with Nvidia Optimus under Ubuntu or Windows 10:

As I have understood it correctly, Nvidia Optimus allows me to use the energy saving onboard GPU for simple tasks instead of the dedicated GPU. But does that mean that ...

1) ... I am able to disable the dGPU completely so that there will be no difference in energy consumption for all models for this mode?

2) ... all models will use the (nearly) same amount of energy when not needed (like an efficient standby mode) so that the choice of the dGPU in the Laptop (and thus the battery lifetime) is only relevant for the time when the dGPU is needed?

3) ... the better models will need significantly more power even when Optimus is activated and the dGPU is not needed?

I intend to know how Nvidia Optimus works to decide on the choice of a suitable Notebook for hours of maximum load for the dGPU when the Laptop is connected to the power adapter on the one side and several hours of battery life for simple programming tasks with the onboard GPU. For very serious calculations I will use a Desktop in the future but for some experiments in Machine Learning I intend to get a Laptop with reasonable compromises. When 2) or even 1) is possible I would go with the better models...

Greetings
Heringsalat

Posted 02/13/2018 03:41 PM   
Scroll To Top