5.1 with Neflix
  1 / 2    
Have started this month a test account on Netflix. I've to use the app on my Shield 2017 because my Loewe One55 doesn't have a Netflix app. Picture is perfect, but I don't get any 5.1 audio. I've read several topics from the past, the Shield isn't capable to use the 5.1 streams of Netflix. Is it already usable these days? I've installed the last available firmware (6.3) Thanks, Gert
Have started this month a test account on Netflix. I've to use the app on my Shield 2017 because my Loewe One55 doesn't have a Netflix app.

Picture is perfect, but I don't get any 5.1 audio. I've read several topics from the past, the Shield isn't capable to use the 5.1 streams of Netflix.

Is it already usable these days?

I've installed the last available firmware (6.3)
Thanks,
Gert

Posted 02/06/2018 10:21 AM   
Then you've read wrong, because the Shíeld is capable of 5.1 with Netflix. However, Netflix uses Dolby Digital +, so what ever you have your Shield connected to has to be able to decode DD+. If it's not then it will default to 2 channel PCM.
Then you've read wrong, because the Shíeld is capable of 5.1 with Netflix. However, Netflix uses Dolby Digital +, so what ever you have your Shield connected to has to be able to decode DD+. If it's not then it will default to 2 channel PCM.

Posted 02/06/2018 10:55 AM   
Maybe the "+" is my problem :(. Don't think my tv, neither my receiver knows the "+". And that could be the reason Netflix doesn't mention Dolby Digital near the film title? Just like it doesn't mention "4K" when you don't set-up 4K settings in the HDMI setup of the Shield.
Maybe the "+" is my problem :(. Don't think my tv, neither my receiver knows the "+".

And that could be the reason Netflix doesn't mention Dolby Digital near the film title? Just like it doesn't mention "4K" when you don't set-up 4K settings in the HDMI setup of the Shield.

Posted 02/06/2018 12:05 PM   
[quote="raverke95"]Maybe the "+" is my problem :(. Don't think my tv, neither my receiver knows the "+". And that could be the reason Netflix doesn't mention Dolby Digital near the film title? Just like it doesn't mention "4K" when you don't set-up 4K settings in the HDMI setup of the Shield.[/quote] Netflix cant be used with the nvidia shield since nvidia doesn't care about Dolby Digital (neither Amazon Video). If you want it to work, you can try spending another 600$ (or more depending on your budget)) to buy a 4k HDR compatible receiver with a "decent" set of speakers. Also I hope your dont mind the extra cables and speaker cluttering your living room. Nvidia Sheild could speak Netflix and the others into supporting Dolby Digital (without the f-ing +) but they don't care. Alternatively they could pay the dam license so we cant transcode it to Dolby Digital but they are cheap. "Nvidia Shield is the best stream box machine on the market" my ass.
raverke95 said:Maybe the "+" is my problem :(. Don't think my tv, neither my receiver knows the "+".

And that could be the reason Netflix doesn't mention Dolby Digital near the film title? Just like it doesn't mention "4K" when you don't set-up 4K settings in the HDMI setup of the Shield.

Netflix cant be used with the nvidia shield since nvidia doesn't care about Dolby Digital (neither Amazon Video). If you want it to work, you can try spending another 600$ (or more depending on your budget)) to buy a 4k HDR compatible receiver with a "decent" set of speakers. Also I hope your dont mind the extra cables and speaker cluttering your living room.

Nvidia Sheild could speak Netflix and the others into supporting Dolby Digital (without the f-ing +) but they don't care. Alternatively they could pay the dam license so we cant transcode it to Dolby Digital but they are cheap.

"Nvidia Shield is the best stream box machine on the market" my ass.

Posted 02/06/2018 12:31 PM   
It won't show DD in the info, it will just show "5.1". If you have a more modern AVR with HDMI inputs then it should support DD+, I can't think of any that don't. But you can check you manual to see what it does support. You can also go to Settings > About > Status > HDMI and see what the Shield reports for your supported Audio modes.
It won't show DD in the info, it will just show "5.1".

If you have a more modern AVR with HDMI inputs then it should support DD+, I can't think of any that don't. But you can check you manual to see what it does support. You can also go to Settings > About > Status > HDMI and see what the Shield reports for your supported Audio modes.

Posted 02/06/2018 12:39 PM   
I was in the same boat months ago. My PS4, PS3, and Roku played Netflix in 5.1 just fine, but not my Shield. When I upgraded my AV Receiver (it bit the dust) I noticed that it was working with 5.1 just fine. Turns out the old one didn't support DD+. Took me awhile to realize what the problem there was. I was going crazy not being able to understand why my older devices worked just fine, but the Shield did not.
I was in the same boat months ago. My PS4, PS3, and Roku played Netflix in 5.1 just fine, but not my Shield. When I upgraded my AV Receiver (it bit the dust) I noticed that it was working with 5.1 just fine. Turns out the old one didn't support DD+. Took me awhile to realize what the problem there was. I was going crazy not being able to understand why my older devices worked just fine, but the Shield did not.

Posted 02/06/2018 03:47 PM   
Has anyone had problems with certain movies / shows that don't show a 5.1 soundtrack even though the description indicates 5.1? For instance Cloverfield Paradox doesn't show a 5.1 soundtrack on my nvidia Shield TV, but AppleTV has 5.1 and is labeled as 5.1 in the description. I can hear other 5.1 soundtracks just fine (Star Trek Discovery etc), so it's not my AVR and even then it would at least show a 5.1 soundtrack in the audio options for the movie.
Has anyone had problems with certain movies / shows that don't show a 5.1 soundtrack even though the description indicates 5.1? For instance Cloverfield Paradox doesn't show a 5.1 soundtrack on my nvidia Shield TV, but AppleTV has 5.1 and is labeled as 5.1 in the description. I can hear other 5.1 soundtracks just fine (Star Trek Discovery etc), so it's not my AVR and even then it would at least show a 5.1 soundtrack in the audio options for the movie.

Posted 02/07/2018 12:34 PM   
I've noticed similar inconsistency issues with Netflix outputting 5.1. Many movies and shows (e.g., Altered Carbon) note that they have 5.1, but won't output it to my DD+ compatible AVR and it's not shown as an available audio stream option. However, other titles (e.g., Paw Patrol... ugh) has perfect 5.1 that's consistently picked up by my AVR, and it shows that stream and the stereo as separate options. Obviously it's not a hardware issue since some media works fine. This also seemed to be an issue that only arose for me starting at the 5.0 experience update, so it would appear to be a shield issue.
I've noticed similar inconsistency issues with Netflix outputting 5.1. Many movies and shows (e.g., Altered Carbon) note that they have 5.1, but won't output it to my DD+ compatible AVR and it's not shown as an available audio stream option. However, other titles (e.g., Paw Patrol... ugh) has perfect 5.1 that's consistently picked up by my AVR, and it shows that stream and the stereo as separate options. Obviously it's not a hardware issue since some media works fine. This also seemed to be an issue that only arose for me starting at the 5.0 experience update, so it would appear to be a shield issue.

Posted 02/07/2018 03:30 PM   
[quote="Aaron407"]I've noticed similar inconsistency issues with Netflix outputting 5.1. Many movies and shows (e.g., Altered Carbon) note that they have 5.1, but won't output it to my DD+ compatible AVR and it's not shown as an available audio stream option. However, other titles (e.g., Paw Patrol... ugh) has perfect 5.1 that's consistently picked up by my AVR, and it shows that stream and the stereo as separate options. Obviously it's not a hardware issue since some media works fine. This also seemed to be an issue that only arose for me starting at the 5.0 experience update, so it would appear to be a shield issue.[/quote] Haven't seen any of those issues, all 5.1 streams play in DD+ for me. If your Shield reports that your HDMI connection supports DD+, and you have not had any issues with other apps, Kodi, Amazon Video (also DD+), etc., then the problem is with Netflix. If you haven't already, try clearing the data for Netflix and see if the issue persists.
Aaron407 said:I've noticed similar inconsistency issues with Netflix outputting 5.1. Many movies and shows (e.g., Altered Carbon) note that they have 5.1, but won't output it to my DD+ compatible AVR and it's not shown as an available audio stream option. However, other titles (e.g., Paw Patrol... ugh) has perfect 5.1 that's consistently picked up by my AVR, and it shows that stream and the stereo as separate options. Obviously it's not a hardware issue since some media works fine. This also seemed to be an issue that only arose for me starting at the 5.0 experience update, so it would appear to be a shield issue.

Haven't seen any of those issues, all 5.1 streams play in DD+ for me. If your Shield reports that your HDMI connection supports DD+, and you have not had any issues with other apps, Kodi, Amazon Video (also DD+), etc., then the problem is with Netflix.

If you haven't already, try clearing the data for Netflix and see if the issue persists.

Posted 02/07/2018 03:51 PM   
It appears it was a problem on Neflix' end. I wrote their support (via the question mark on their website during streaming of the movie) and now Cloverfield Paradox shows 5.1 soundtracks on my shield TV when yesterday it did not
It appears it was a problem on Neflix' end. I wrote their support (via the question mark on their website during streaming of the movie) and now Cloverfield Paradox shows 5.1 soundtracks on my shield TV when yesterday it did not

Posted 02/07/2018 04:34 PM   
Yep, the new Cloverfield only appeared to be 2.0 on my Shield while other videos provided Dolby Digital Plus.
Yep, the new Cloverfield only appeared to be 2.0 on my Shield while other videos provided Dolby Digital Plus.

Posted 02/07/2018 04:36 PM   
Noticed the same thing with the new Cloverfield. Show was listed as 5.1 I wonder if there is a different format that the app was unable to decode or if it was a Shield specific limitation. I heard that the xbox netflix app was doing dolby atoms for the release.
Noticed the same thing with the new Cloverfield. Show was listed as 5.1 I wonder if there is a different format that the app was unable to decode or if it was a Shield specific limitation. I heard that the xbox netflix app was doing dolby atoms for the release.

Posted 02/07/2018 07:05 PM   
Cloverfield works just fine with 5.1 for me, I'm in Germany btw. But i got every Language in stereo and 5.1
Cloverfield works just fine with 5.1 for me, I'm in Germany btw. But i got every Language in stereo and 5.1

Posted 02/07/2018 07:23 PM   
Interesting I triple checked everything I'm running but my Denon x6200w would only pick up Stereo.
Interesting I triple checked everything I'm running but my Denon x6200w would only pick up Stereo.

Posted 02/07/2018 07:43 PM   
[quote="Fehritale"]Cloverfield works just fine with 5.1 for me, I'm in Germany btw. But i got every Language in stereo and 5.1[/quote] As I said, until yesterday it didn't show 5.1 as soundtrack: [url]https://i.imgur.com/j8BWyjl.jpg[/url], today it does, after I reported it to Netflix (also Germany here).
Fehritale said:Cloverfield works just fine with 5.1 for me, I'm in Germany btw. But i got every Language in stereo and 5.1

As I said, until yesterday it didn't show 5.1 as soundtrack: https://i.imgur.com/j8BWyjl.jpg, today it does, after I reported it to Netflix (also Germany here).

Posted 02/07/2018 08:39 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top