Nvidia Shield TV Pro Discontinued
  1 / 4    
The Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2017) has been discontinued, as per Nvidia support. The regular 16 GB Nvidia Shield TV is not being discontinued, however.
The Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2017) has been discontinued, as per Nvidia support. The regular 16 GB Nvidia Shield TV is not being discontinued, however.

Posted 01/31/2018 11:34 PM   
A factor in discontinuing the Pro was probably the fact that most people probably buy the 16 GB model and tie it in to their NAS, as I do, eliminating the need for 500 GB of storage.
A factor in discontinuing the Pro was probably the fact that most people probably buy the 16 GB model and tie it in to their NAS, as I do, eliminating the need for 500 GB of storage.

Posted 02/02/2018 12:31 AM   
Someone in Nvidia support told you that before they have announced it in a press release?
Someone in Nvidia support told you that before they have announced it in a press release?

Posted 02/02/2018 02:56 AM   
Yes. Here's the transcript. [02:57:12 PM]Hi, my name is Sen. How may I help you? [02:58:21 PM]James Elliott: Hi, Sen. I am trying to order an Nvidia Shield Pro from Amazon.ca (I am in Canada). Amazon.ca doesn't have any in stock, however, and hasn't for almost two months. Do you know why this is, and if I can buy one directly from the Nvidia webpage? [02:58:44 PM]Sen: Please be assured that I will do my best to help you or point you to the right direction. [02:58:51 PM]James Elliott: Thank you. [03:00:10 PM]Sen: Please give me some time to check this [03:01:16 PM]James Elliott: No problem. [03:03:16 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience [03:03:48 PM]Sen: Unfortunately SHIELD TV Pro is End of Life. Which means we have stopped manufacturing this. [03:05:33 PM]Sen: It is still available in this web-link ( as long as they have the stock) : http://www.canadacomputers.com/wishlist.php [03:11:23 PM]James Elliott: How could that be? It was only introduced in 2017. [03:11:37 PM]James Elliott: Is Nvidia planning on making a new version of the Shield? [03:11:59 PM]Sen: As per the information we have, we have stopped manufacturing this for future [03:11:58 PM]James Elliott: Has the regular Nvidia Shield TV (16 GB) also been discontinued? [03:12:33 PM]Sen: No, regular SHIELD TV 16 GB will be available. No plan to discontinue it in future [03:13:35 PM]James Elliott: Can you find out for me what led to the decision to discontinue the Shield Pro? [03:14:14 PM]Sen: Let me check [03:14:21 PM]James Elliott: Thank you. [03:14:29 PM]Sen: You are welcome [03:24:12 PM]James Elliott: What have you learned? [03:24:45 PM]Sen: We do not have any information why NVIDIA has stopped manufacturing SHIELD TV Pro [03:25:40 PM]James Elliott: You talk as if Nvidia is some third party. You are Nvidia. [03:25:46 PM]James Elliott: How could you not know why? [03:27:11 PM]Sen: We are NVIDIA Support agent, these information should be with NVIDIA developers. We do not have that information or access to that. [03:27:34 PM]James Elliott: Okay, so how do I contact the developers? [03:29:22 PM]Sen: Give me some time to discuss with other experts here [03:31:08 PM]James Elliott: No problem. [03:35:31 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience [03:36:12 PM]Sen: Here we do not have that information. So I have to escalate this case to higher level of support. They will read the entire chat script and get back to you through email in 24-48 hours. [03:38:58 PM]James Elliott: What is the chat ID for this chat? [03:40:30 PM]Sen: 180131-000728 [03:41:40 PM]James Elliott: Has the remote control that came with the Shield TV Pro also been discontinued? It is my understanding that the Shield TV and Shield TV Pro come with slightly different remote controls. [03:42:35 PM]Sen: Remote Control is not discontinued [03:43:06 PM]Sen: You are right, both are different and both are and will be in production [03:44:13 PM]James Elliott: So, one of your higher support agents will email me back within a day or two about the discontinuation of the Pro? [03:44:48 PM]Sen: Yes [03:45:38 PM]James Elliott: Also, I have an issue you may or may not be able to help me with about the Nvidia forums. [03:45:59 PM]James Elliott: When I post a new thread, I cannot see it anywhere on the forums. [03:48:16 PM]James Elliott: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/ is the link. thewildpig is my username. [03:49:48 PM]Sen: Since I will escalate this entire chat script, the experts will get back to you with the answer for this issue as well. [03:50:23 PM]James Elliott: Okay. Thank you. [03:50:26 PM]'James Elliott' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').
Yes. Here's the transcript.

[02:57:12 PM]Hi, my name is Sen. How may I help you?
[02:58:21 PM]James Elliott: Hi, Sen. I am trying to order an Nvidia Shield Pro from Amazon.ca (I am in Canada). Amazon.ca doesn't have any in stock, however, and hasn't for almost two months. Do you know why this is, and if I can buy one directly from the Nvidia webpage?
[02:58:44 PM]Sen: Please be assured that I will do my best to help you or point you to the right direction.
[02:58:51 PM]James Elliott: Thank you.
[03:00:10 PM]Sen: Please give me some time to check this
[03:01:16 PM]James Elliott: No problem.
[03:03:16 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience
[03:03:48 PM]Sen: Unfortunately SHIELD TV Pro is End of Life. Which means we have stopped manufacturing this.
[03:05:33 PM]Sen: It is still available in this web-link ( as long as they have the stock) :

http://www.canadacomputers.com/wishlist.php

[03:11:23 PM]James Elliott: How could that be? It was only introduced in 2017.
[03:11:37 PM]James Elliott: Is Nvidia planning on making a new version of the Shield?
[03:11:59 PM]Sen: As per the information we have, we have stopped manufacturing this for future
[03:11:58 PM]James Elliott: Has the regular Nvidia Shield TV (16 GB) also been discontinued?
[03:12:33 PM]Sen: No, regular SHIELD TV 16 GB will be available. No plan to discontinue it in future
[03:13:35 PM]James Elliott: Can you find out for me what led to the decision to discontinue the Shield Pro?
[03:14:14 PM]Sen: Let me check
[03:14:21 PM]James Elliott: Thank you.
[03:14:29 PM]Sen: You are welcome
[03:24:12 PM]James Elliott: What have you learned?
[03:24:45 PM]Sen: We do not have any information why NVIDIA has stopped manufacturing SHIELD TV Pro
[03:25:40 PM]James Elliott: You talk as if Nvidia is some third party. You are Nvidia.
[03:25:46 PM]James Elliott: How could you not know why?
[03:27:11 PM]Sen: We are NVIDIA Support agent, these information should be with NVIDIA developers. We do not have that information or access to that.
[03:27:34 PM]James Elliott: Okay, so how do I contact the developers?
[03:29:22 PM]Sen: Give me some time to discuss with other experts here
[03:31:08 PM]James Elliott: No problem.
[03:35:31 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience
[03:36:12 PM]Sen: Here we do not have that information. So I have to escalate this case to higher level of support. They will read the entire chat script and get back to you through email in 24-48 hours.
[03:38:58 PM]James Elliott: What is the chat ID for this chat?
[03:40:30 PM]Sen: 180131-000728
[03:41:40 PM]James Elliott: Has the remote control that came with the Shield TV Pro also been discontinued? It is my understanding that the Shield TV and Shield TV Pro come with slightly different remote controls.
[03:42:35 PM]Sen: Remote Control is not discontinued
[03:43:06 PM]Sen: You are right, both are different and both are and will be in production
[03:44:13 PM]James Elliott: So, one of your higher support agents will email me back within a day or two about the discontinuation of the Pro?
[03:44:48 PM]Sen: Yes
[03:45:38 PM]James Elliott: Also, I have an issue you may or may not be able to help me with about the Nvidia forums.
[03:45:59 PM]James Elliott: When I post a new thread, I cannot see it anywhere on the forums.
[03:48:16 PM]James Elliott: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/ is the link. thewildpig is my username.
[03:49:48 PM]Sen: Since I will escalate this entire chat script, the experts will get back to you with the answer for this issue as well.
[03:50:23 PM]James Elliott: Okay. Thank you.
[03:50:26 PM]'James Elliott' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

Posted 02/02/2018 03:05 AM   
Lol oh well! T
Lol oh well! T

Posted 02/02/2018 06:50 AM   
I think they kept the pro version so that they would be able to clear out the larger sized nvidia shields now that they are out of stock it probably won't come back. I should get the stand before it also gets discontinued
I think they kept the pro version so that they would be able to clear out the larger sized nvidia shields now that they are out of stock it probably won't come back. I should get the stand before it also gets discontinued

Posted 02/02/2018 09:11 AM   
Good find! Now we have the real reason why a nvidia rep posted Plex server mandatory use of internal HDD will be solved (?) in a future firmware version. The 16 GB Shield TV will finally be able to use attached HDD/SSD for Plex server data [b]without the need of root.[/b] What a coincidence! LOL
Good find!

Now we have the real reason why a nvidia rep posted Plex server mandatory use of internal HDD will be solved (?) in a future firmware version.

The 16 GB Shield TV will finally be able to use attached HDD/SSD for Plex server data without the need of root.

What a coincidence!

LOL

Posted 02/02/2018 10:39 AM   
They should create a 128 gig version so one doesn’t have to attached or adopt more storage.
They should create a 128 gig version so one doesn’t have to attached or adopt more storage.

Posted 02/02/2018 03:33 PM   
[quote="Audio_mixer"]They should create a 128 gig version so one doesn’t have to attached or adopt more storage.[/quote] They removed the sdcard slot in the latest shield so adding a bigger flash drive might be the new update in the future though if they are going to update the hardware they might as well go with the latest processor instead of using the current one.
Audio_mixer said:They should create a 128 gig version so one doesn’t have to attached or adopt more storage.

They removed the sdcard slot in the latest shield so adding a bigger flash drive might be the new update in the future though if they are going to update the hardware they might as well go with the latest processor instead of using the current one.

Posted 02/03/2018 03:00 AM   
I believe they removed the SD card slot due to complaints about the device performing slow as when people use adopted storage with SD cards it would be slow or you would get apps not responding messages which would not go away forcing you to reset your shield manually. This also occurs with usb 2.0 devices as they are not fast enough therefore slows down your device and you receive random crashes and apps behaving slow. I had this prob, do what I did and buy a usb 3.0 device - you will not have this problem. I understand why they removed it but I'm glad I still have it for convenience of moving files to and from devices quickly if I am too lazy to wait doing it wirelessly lol
I believe they removed the SD card slot due to complaints about the device performing slow as when people use adopted storage with SD cards it would be slow or you would get apps not responding messages which would not go away forcing you to reset your shield manually. This also occurs with usb 2.0 devices as they are not fast enough therefore slows down your device and you receive random crashes and apps behaving slow. I had this prob, do what I did and buy a usb 3.0 device - you will not have this problem. I understand why they removed it but I'm glad I still have it for convenience of moving files to and from devices quickly if I am too lazy to wait doing it wirelessly lol

Posted 02/03/2018 08:50 AM   
I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield. I was under some delusion that there may have been a repackaged 2015 version of the Sheild Pro, that came with the newer Gamepad, and possibly the Remote? So if that's the case perhaps we just that bit closer to the Shield 2 now.
I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield.
I was under some delusion that there may have been a repackaged 2015 version of the Sheild Pro, that came with the newer Gamepad, and possibly the Remote?

So if that's the case perhaps we just that bit closer to the Shield 2 now.

Posted 02/03/2018 10:42 AM   
[quote="Ichijoe211212"] So if that's the case perhaps we just that bit closer to the Shield 2 now. [/quote] Possibly...but Nvidia is not in a rush: competition are still behind and 4K adoption (included Dolby Vision) is still a minority. Maybe in Q3/Q4. I would like a new Shield TV with HDMI 2.1.
Ichijoe211212 said:

Possibly...but Nvidia is not in a rush: competition are still behind and 4K adoption (included Dolby Vision) is still a minority.

Maybe in Q3/Q4.

I would like a new Shield TV with HDMI 2.1.

Posted 02/03/2018 10:51 AM   
[quote="Ichijoe211212"]I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield. I was under some delusion that there may have been a repackaged 2015 version of the Sheild Pro, that came with the newer Gamepad, and possibly the Remote? So if that's the case perhaps we just that bit closer to the Shield 2 now. [/quote] No, you are correct, this is exactly what they did. Same old 2015 Shield TV box, new game controller, added the old style remote.
Ichijoe211212 said:I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield.
I was under some delusion that there may have been a repackaged 2015 version of the Sheild Pro, that came with the newer Gamepad, and possibly the Remote?

No, you are correct, this is exactly what they did. Same old 2015 Shield TV box, new game controller, added the old style remote.

nVidia Shield Android TV Pro
nVidia Shield Android TV 16G
Mi Box x2
Amazon FireTV 1st gen
FireTV stick (given away)
Roku 3 and Roku stick (retired)
Various Kodi/XBMC centric HTPCs and Android boxes (retired)

Posted 02/03/2018 03:11 PM   
[quote="theskep"][quote="Ichijoe211212"]I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield. I was under some delusion that there may have been a repackaged 2015 version of the Sheild Pro, that came with the newer Gamepad, and possibly the Remote? So if that's the case perhaps we just that bit closer to the Shield 2 now. [/quote] No, you are correct, this is exactly what they did. Same old 2015 Shield TV box, new game controller, added the old style remote.[/quote] Oh ok so it was the old style remote. I wasn't sure if they just didn't bother replacing that as well. In any case the old '15 Shield has probably had a good run. So its hardly unsurprising that their getting ready to add it. Beside it was never really in a price category that most people were willing to pay. See adtional Threads about non-gamer versions of the Shield TV. Which unironicly are more expensive then the stock versions. Assuming you ever decide to actually get the Gamepad at some point. So not surprising that the Pro has taken a bit of a hit. Hopefully nVIDIA will release a new 2018 Pro with the Spot built into it. (Not just the Gamepad), and perhaps be able to deal with better AV enhancements (Atmos, 3D, HDR, DV etc). And of course swap the Spinning Rust For a capacious SSD.
theskep said:
Ichijoe211212 said:I wasnt even aware that there even was a 2017 Pro version of the Shield.

No, you are correct, this is exactly what they did. Same old 2015 Shield TV box, new game controller, added the old style remote.

Oh ok so it was the old style remote. I wasn't sure if they just didn't bother replacing that as well.

In any case the old '15 Shield has probably had a good run. So its hardly unsurprising that their getting ready to add it. Beside it was never really in a price category that most people were willing to pay.

See adtional Threads about non-gamer versions of the Shield TV. Which unironicly are more expensive then the stock versions. Assuming you ever decide to actually get the Gamepad at some point. So not surprising that the Pro has taken a bit of a hit.

Hopefully nVIDIA will release a new 2018 Pro with the Spot built into it. (Not just the Gamepad), and perhaps be able to deal with better AV enhancements (Atmos, 3D, HDR, DV etc). And of course swap the Spinning Rust For a capacious SSD.

Posted 02/04/2018 09:19 AM   
[quote="Ichijoe211212"] Hopefully nVIDIA will release a new 2018 Pro with the Spot built into it. (Not just the Gamepad), and perhaps be able to deal with better AV enhancements (Atmos, 3D, HDR, DV etc). And of course swap the Spinning Rust For a capacious SSD. [/quote] It's doubtful that there will be any 2018 models, they would have most likely announced that at CES if they were going to launch new models. There probably won't be any new models for quite some time, if ever, given NVIDIAs s track record with their other devices. And you seem to be missing the point of the Spot. Having it "built in" would be a terrible idea given that it would 10'+ away from you and so close most peoples audio equipment that it would be ineffective. The Spot is suppose to allow you to put it in a location that makes easy to use. Not to mention so that you can place multiple Spots around your house and interact with a GA on a single Shield.
Ichijoe211212 said:

Hopefully nVIDIA will release a new 2018 Pro with the Spot built into it. (Not just the Gamepad), and perhaps be able to deal with better AV enhancements (Atmos, 3D, HDR, DV etc). And of course swap the Spinning Rust For a capacious SSD.

It's doubtful that there will be any 2018 models, they would have most likely announced that at CES if they were going to launch new models. There probably won't be any new models for quite some time, if ever, given NVIDIAs s track record with their other devices.

And you seem to be missing the point of the Spot. Having it "built in" would be a terrible idea given that it would 10'+ away from you and so close most peoples audio equipment that it would be ineffective. The Spot is suppose to allow you to put it in a location that makes easy to use. Not to mention so that you can place multiple Spots around your house and interact with a GA on a single Shield.

Posted 02/04/2018 11:07 AM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top