SHIELD Experience Upgrade 6.3 for SHIELD TV (Released 1/31/2018)
  1 / 20    
New Features and Apps to Try on SHIELD -PLEX: Automatically remove DVR recorded shows -VLC: Adds 360 video and PIP functionality -New Apps: Sirius XM, Tidal [US Only] -NEST: View your Nest Cameras on SHIELD using Google Assistant. Say “Show me my front door camera” -Smart Home: Control over 1000 devices with Google Assistant -New Apps: Cartoon Network, VH1, and Lego TV [EU] -New Apps: Eurosport [Germany Only] -New Apps: TV NOW PLUS [Spain Only] -New Apps: Moviestar+ Additional Enhancements • The latest monthly Android security updates including mitigations for “Spectre” (not known to be vulnerable to “Meltdown”). See NVIDIA Product Security Page for more details: • Improves reporting for low battery status for SHIELD Accessories • Adds new USB compatibility mode for users with attached USB storage/accessories to improve Bluetooth/wireless performance (Settings > System). • Support for playback of YUV 8 bit BT 2020 videos • Adds developer option for rooted systems to always prefer full system upgrades - recommend for rooted systems • SHIELD controller (2017) upgrade to version 1.18 • SHIELD remote (2017) upgrade to version 1.28 • SHIELD remote w/ headphone jack upgrade to version 1.22 - Firmware update for SHIELD remote (rechargeable) to resolve recharging issues. If update fails, connect remote to charging cable and hold Home + Back + Voice Search buttons until LED flashes (~20 seconds) • Latest accessory firmware versions: -SHIELD controller (2017): v1.18 -SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32 -SHIELD remote (2017): v1.28 -SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.22 http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-release-notes/6.3/
New Features and Apps to Try on SHIELD
-PLEX: Automatically remove DVR recorded shows
-VLC: Adds 360 video and PIP functionality
-New Apps: Sirius XM, Tidal

[US Only]
-NEST: View your Nest Cameras on SHIELD using Google Assistant. Say “Show me my front door camera”
-Smart Home: Control over 1000 devices with Google Assistant
-New Apps: Cartoon Network, VH1, and Lego TV

[EU]
-New Apps: Eurosport

[Germany Only]
-New Apps: TV NOW PLUS

[Spain Only]
-New Apps: Moviestar+

Additional Enhancements
• The latest monthly Android security updates including mitigations for “Spectre” (not known to be vulnerable to “Meltdown”). See NVIDIA Product Security Page for more details:
• Improves reporting for low battery status for SHIELD Accessories
• Adds new USB compatibility mode for users with attached USB storage/accessories to improve Bluetooth/wireless performance (Settings > System).
• Support for playback of YUV 8 bit BT 2020 videos
• Adds developer option for rooted systems to always prefer full system upgrades - recommend for rooted systems
• SHIELD controller (2017) upgrade to version 1.18
• SHIELD remote (2017) upgrade to version 1.28
• SHIELD remote w/ headphone jack upgrade to version 1.22
- Firmware update for SHIELD remote (rechargeable) to resolve recharging issues. If update fails, connect remote to charging cable and hold Home + Back + Voice Search buttons until LED flashes (~20 seconds)
• Latest accessory firmware versions:
-SHIELD controller (2017): v1.18
-SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
-SHIELD remote (2017): v1.28
-SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.22

http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-release-notes/6.3/

NVIDIA Techical Support

Posted 01/31/2018 05:17 PM   
[quote="Geforce_Dave"][/quote] Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.
Geforce_Dave said:

Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.

Posted 01/31/2018 06:18 PM   
Installed smoothly, so far so good. Can't say the response is better on the remote though but will advise upon further use
Installed smoothly, so far so good. Can't say the response is better on the remote though but will advise upon further use

Posted 01/31/2018 06:31 PM   
Mine ran slow for about 20 minutes or more after the update and even had a random reboot. Everything about it was slow from scrolling to even lag in video. Tried rebooting and still had the same it even took it twice as long to boot. After it rebooted itself for an unknown reason it appears to be running smoothly.
Mine ran slow for about 20 minutes or more after the update and even had a random reboot. Everything about it was slow from scrolling to even lag in video. Tried rebooting and still had the same it even took it twice as long to boot. After it rebooted itself for an unknown reason it appears to be running smoothly.

Posted 01/31/2018 06:35 PM   
[quote="-kazanunda-"][quote="Geforce_Dave"][/quote] Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.[/quote] Lmfao What a stupid question
-kazanunda- said:
Geforce_Dave said:

Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.

Lmfao

What a stupid question

Posted 01/31/2018 06:39 PM   
PLEX: Automatically remove DVR recorded shows. Probably should say Remove DVR Commercials from recorded shows. Updated... everything looks good! Thanks
PLEX: Automatically remove DVR recorded shows.

Probably should say Remove DVR Commercials from recorded shows.

Updated... everything looks good!

Thanks

Posted 01/31/2018 06:48 PM   
The Remote responds better and catches all words for google assitant
The Remote responds better and catches all words for google assitant

Posted 01/31/2018 06:51 PM   
I just updated to the latest version, and since the second the Shield came back up again the TV goes black for about two seconds quite often. The sounds stays on, the screen just goes black. This happens anything between twice a minute to once every second minute, but enough to render the Shield useless. I used the Shield earlier this evening for about an hour prior to updating, and it worked like a charm, so it's pretty obvious it was the update making a mess. Any suggestions? Edit - I turned the Shield completely off, and when I restarted it everything seems to be OK again, I've now run it for about an hour without the screen ever going black.
I just updated to the latest version, and since the second the Shield came back up again the TV goes black for about two seconds quite often. The sounds stays on, the screen just goes black. This happens anything between twice a minute to once every second minute, but enough to render the Shield useless.

I used the Shield earlier this evening for about an hour prior to updating, and it worked like a charm, so it's pretty obvious it was the update making a mess.

Any suggestions?

Edit - I turned the Shield completely off, and when I restarted it everything seems to be OK again, I've now run it for about an hour without the screen ever going black.

Posted 01/31/2018 07:03 PM   
i updated mine. shield controller was sucessfully upgraded to new firmware , but shield remote failed again , i dont know what to do..any idea?+
i updated mine. shield controller was sucessfully upgraded to new firmware , but shield remote failed again , i dont know what to do..any idea?+

Posted 01/31/2018 07:08 PM   
can anybosdy confirm if this update allows plex to move its metadata to the adopted storage?
can anybosdy confirm if this update allows plex to move its metadata to the adopted storage?

Posted 01/31/2018 07:22 PM   
"-Smart Home: Control over 1000 devices with Google Assistant" Is this a new feature? I thought the SmartThings Link took care of that.
"-Smart Home: Control over 1000 devices with Google Assistant"

Is this a new feature? I thought the SmartThings Link took care of that.

Posted 01/31/2018 07:23 PM   
Eurosport Player app doesn't work. Just stuck on Eurosport logo screen for minutes, then say it's not available in this country. I'm in Finland.
Eurosport Player app doesn't work. Just stuck on Eurosport logo screen for minutes, then say it's not available in this country. I'm in Finland.

Posted 01/31/2018 07:42 PM   
[quote="Andrroid"][quote="-kazanunda-"][quote="Geforce_Dave"][/quote] Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.[/quote] Lmfao What a stupid question[/quote] Actually it's far from a stupid question. Most CPUs are taking a fairly big hit to performance with the spectre / meltdown mitigations that are having to be done. Sometimes up to a 30% drop in performance. The shield might not take a hit that big, but it will most likely take a hit nonetheless
Andrroid said:
-kazanunda- said:
Geforce_Dave said:

Lmfao

What a stupid question

Actually it's far from a stupid question. Most CPUs are taking a fairly big hit to performance with the spectre / meltdown mitigations that are having to be done. Sometimes up to a 30% drop in performance. The shield might not take a hit that big, but it will most likely take a hit nonetheless

Posted 01/31/2018 07:47 PM   
Has anyone got the VLC PIP to work. I enabled it in the settings, started a movie, but if I then want to browse to anything else, it takes me out of the movie. I am using the remote and have tried every button, including voice search. Update: Ignore me, its a menu item in VLC. Works well
Has anyone got the VLC PIP to work.
I enabled it in the settings, started a movie, but if I then want to browse to anything else, it takes me out of the movie.
I am using the remote and have tried every button, including voice search.

Update: Ignore me, its a menu item in VLC.
Works well

Posted 01/31/2018 07:57 PM   
[quote="barry.armstrong1978"][quote="Andrroid"][quote="-kazanunda-"][quote="Geforce_Dave"][/quote] Hi! Will this Upgrade slowdown Shield in any way? Like it was with Intel's updates.[/quote] Lmfao What a stupid question[/quote] Actually it's far from a stupid question. Most CPUs are taking a fairly big hit to performance with the spectre / meltdown mitigations that are having to be done. Sometimes up to a 30% drop in performance. The shield might not take a hit that big, but it will most likely take a hit nonetheless[/quote] I agree, that wasn't a stupid question at all. The performance hit with Intel CPUs was primarily around disk and network I/O tasks. Also, I'm pretty sure that the major hit was in synthetic tests that stressed those areas. Things like gaming and media were basically unaffected. Assuming we have the same hit as Intel does, I would expect more than 95% of users won't notice a thing. The only operation that would affect the shield would be network file transfers. Contrary to popular belief, streaming media requires very little bandwidth and does not stress even a 100mbps connection.
barry.armstrong1978 said:
Andrroid said:
-kazanunda- said:
Geforce_Dave said:

Lmfao

What a stupid question

Actually it's far from a stupid question. Most CPUs are taking a fairly big hit to performance with the spectre / meltdown mitigations that are having to be done. Sometimes up to a 30% drop in performance. The shield might not take a hit that big, but it will most likely take a hit nonetheless

I agree, that wasn't a stupid question at all.

The performance hit with Intel CPUs was primarily around disk and network I/O tasks. Also, I'm pretty sure that the major hit was in synthetic tests that stressed those areas. Things like gaming and media were basically unaffected. Assuming we have the same hit as Intel does, I would expect more than 95% of users won't notice a thing. The only operation that would affect the shield would be network file transfers. Contrary to popular belief, streaming media requires very little bandwidth and does not stress even a 100mbps connection.

Posted 01/31/2018 08:05 PM   
  1 / 20    
Scroll To Top