Cant update my drivers to the latest version
  1 / 2    
Hello, here is a video of the issue, since it has no audio I will explain it here, but TLDR I am stuck with very old drivers, 35X.XX which are downloaded via windows update, and I can not update via GeForce Experience or by downloading the drivers on nvidia's website. Also, with these drivers I am unable to even play using the 960m of the laptop. It uses HD Graphics despite changing it on nvidia's control panel. Video: https://youtu.be/YsX6M442ox8 [i] in the video first you can appreciate how I try to update the drivers from geforce experience, it does not work, then i go to nvidia's website and try downloading the latest driver for my device which is gtx 960m on windows 10 64 bit, I try to install it, it does not work, then I try to modify a file for it to recognize my graphics card, and it does recognize it and starts the installation but it fails anyway, and I tried all this in safemode too but it is not shown on the video... Then there are no updates from windows update for my card, and suddenly, the menu of nvidia, the nvidia control panel is gone, when I start a game no matter if I select use nvidia gpu on the nvidia control panel when it WAS there, you can see that it is using the integrated intel graphics, it never uses the dedicated 960m graphics, and now, the 960m display adapter option is gone after attempting to update the drivers from geforce experience or via the nvidia's website, only after a restart windows update will install very OLD drivers that don't let me play some games and those that I can play play very bad because they do not have optimized drivers.[/i] Specs: Laptop brand ENZ (chinese brand) Intel i7 6700HQ GTX 960M 8 Gigs of DDR4 RAM 1 M.2 SSD 240Gb 1 2.5" SATA 500Gb drive One final note, when I use nvidias auto detect to see what drivers I am supposed to install it tells me that the drivers I am supposed to download are the desktop 960 drivers... I have tried with those too btw... EDIT: I was able to update the drivers a little bit to 361.91 by using a program called Driver Booster, and that seemed to have fixed the issue where I can not use the 960m on games, but I still can not update to the latest drivers to get the most out of the GPU.
Hello, here is a video of the issue, since it has no audio I will explain it here, but TLDR I am stuck with very old drivers, 35X.XX which are downloaded via windows update, and I can not update via GeForce Experience or by downloading the drivers on nvidia's website. Also, with these drivers I am unable to even play using the 960m of the laptop. It uses HD Graphics despite changing it on nvidia's control panel.

Video: https://youtu.be/YsX6M442ox8

in the video first you can appreciate how I try to update the drivers from geforce experience, it does not work, then i go to nvidia's website and try downloading the latest driver for my device which is gtx 960m on windows 10 64 bit, I try to install it, it does not work, then I try to modify a file for it to recognize my graphics card, and it does recognize it and starts the installation but it fails anyway, and I tried all this in safemode too but it is not shown on the video... Then there are no updates from windows update for my card, and suddenly, the menu of nvidia, the nvidia control panel is gone, when I start a game no matter if I select use nvidia gpu on the nvidia control panel when it WAS there, you can see that it is using the integrated intel graphics, it never uses the dedicated 960m graphics, and now, the 960m display adapter option is gone after attempting to update the drivers from geforce experience or via the nvidia's website, only after a restart windows update will install very OLD drivers that don't let me play some games and those that I can play play very bad because they do not have optimized drivers.

Specs:
Laptop brand ENZ (chinese brand)
Intel i7 6700HQ
GTX 960M
8 Gigs of DDR4 RAM
1 M.2 SSD 240Gb
1 2.5" SATA 500Gb drive

One final note, when I use nvidias auto detect to see what drivers I am supposed to install it tells me that the drivers I am supposed to download are the desktop 960 drivers... I have tried with those too btw...

EDIT: I was able to update the drivers a little bit to 361.91 by using a program called Driver Booster, and that seemed to have fixed the issue where I can not use the 960m on games, but I still can not update to the latest drivers to get the most out of the GPU.

Posted 01/13/2018 12:59 AM   
. Windows 10 autoupdates drivers. GFE can update drivers. So, between both of these, neither could update the driver, so you go to further extremes to do it. The reason the driver cannot update correctly | easily is generally along these lines: Your Laptop requires a Certified Driver from the Laptop Manufacturer Your OS has a corruption preventing the update. Your hardware is bad. Youre running a program that is blocking the updates. Now granted, your Hardware is not bad....so you need to consider the other three problems. .

Windows 10 autoupdates drivers.
GFE can update drivers.

So, between both of these, neither could update the driver, so you go to further extremes to do it.

The reason the driver cannot update correctly | easily is generally along these lines:

Your Laptop requires a Certified Driver from the Laptop Manufacturer
Your OS has a corruption preventing the update.
Your hardware is bad.
Youre running a program that is blocking the updates.

Now granted, your Hardware is not bad....so you need to consider the other three problems.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 01/13/2018 02:01 AM   
Ok so, it could be the first one, but since it is a chinese laptop and the email of their company does not work, I am screwed if it's that. The OS, I tried installing windows 8.1 that has worked for me wonderfully on my desktop, did not work either, fresh clean install of windows BTW. HW is bad, well, I can use 2 different drivers, the ones from windows update and the ones that provide Driver Booster, and with those I can use and very well at that, my gpu.. I don't thik the HW is the problem... I have no programs that could block that, I never use antivirus, I always after installing a fresh copy of windows stop windows defender and firewall. What I find odd is that it only accepts older drivers and one is from the manufacturer, one is from windows update and one from driver booster, so I don't think it is the driver approved by manufacturer either :l it is a very very strange issue.
Ok so, it could be the first one, but since it is a chinese laptop and the email of their company does not work, I am screwed if it's that.

The OS, I tried installing windows 8.1 that has worked for me wonderfully on my desktop, did not work either, fresh clean install of windows BTW.

HW is bad, well, I can use 2 different drivers, the ones from windows update and the ones that provide Driver Booster, and with those I can use and very well at that, my gpu.. I don't thik the HW is the problem...

I have no programs that could block that, I never use antivirus, I always after installing a fresh copy of windows stop windows defender and firewall.

What I find odd is that it only accepts older drivers and one is from the manufacturer, one is from windows update and one from driver booster, so I don't think it is the driver approved by manufacturer either :l it is a very very strange issue.

Posted 01/13/2018 02:27 AM   
Now, I've read that modifying the .ini file as it is shown in the video can help, but, I've also read that you need to modify the apropiate .ini file for your specific manufacturer and since it is a chinese laptop I have no idea what is the corresponding file, also, you need to format correctly the string you modify inside the file for it to work.. so far, modifying the asus one which is the one they modified in a youtube tutorial worked to take the installation further, but it still fails when it reaches the installation process. So I think that could be the way of solving this but since it is a chinese brand and I have very limited knowledge on this subject I can not modify properly the file or the strings.
Now, I've read that modifying the .ini file as it is shown in the video can help, but, I've also read that you need to modify the apropiate .ini file for your specific manufacturer and since it is a chinese laptop I have no idea what is the corresponding file, also, you need to format correctly the string you modify inside the file for it to work.. so far, modifying the asus one which is the one they modified in a youtube tutorial worked to take the installation further, but it still fails when it reaches the installation process. So I think that could be the way of solving this but since it is a chinese brand and I have very limited knowledge on this subject I can not modify properly the file or the strings.

Posted 01/13/2018 02:32 AM   
. Using only OLDER drivers is a way that some CHINESE FAKE cards work as well. But, the reason you are having to MODIFY anything is generally that the laptop requires a CERTIFIED driver for the Intel | NVIDIA GPU and possibly another piece of hardware. The 353.54 (sorry, cannot remember) is likely to be the Microsoft Driver (will not find the same driver in NVIDIA downloads) The problem with using a MODIFIED | Microsoft driver is that if it needs a Certified driver, and it does not have it, it will create instability and can lead to damage of the nVIDIA GPU. The Driver can establish POWER and THERMAL limits. Once these exceed the motherboard | components ability damage can occur. You can head over to Laptop2Go forum and they may be able to help with a Modifying of the drivers to work, they do this alot. Generally there is nothing wrong with an older driver. The system should be functioning just fine. Some games state a Specific driver version or newer, use [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/]this[/url] But lets take a look at this unit: Download [url=https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard]SPECCY[/url]. [.]Download[/.] [.]Install[/.] [.]REBOOT <----IMPORTANT[/.] [.]Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.[/.] [center]DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT[/center] .

Using only OLDER drivers is a way that some CHINESE FAKE cards work as well. But, the reason you are having to MODIFY anything is generally that the laptop requires a CERTIFIED driver for the Intel | NVIDIA GPU and possibly another piece of hardware.

The 353.54 (sorry, cannot remember) is likely to be the Microsoft Driver (will not find the same driver in NVIDIA downloads)

The problem with using a MODIFIED | Microsoft driver is that if it needs a Certified driver, and it does not have it, it will create instability and can lead to damage of the nVIDIA GPU.

The Driver can establish POWER and THERMAL limits. Once these exceed the motherboard | components ability damage can occur.

You can head over to Laptop2Go forum and they may be able to help with a Modifying of the drivers to work, they do this alot.

Generally there is nothing wrong with an older driver. The system should be functioning just fine. Some games state a Specific driver version or newer, use this

But lets take a look at this unit:

Download SPECCY.
  • Download
  • Install
  • REBOOT <----IMPORTANT
  • Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.

• DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 01/13/2018 03:23 AM   
    Yeah, well, regarding the temperature and all that, I ALWAYS use msi afterburner's riva tuner to moitor the temps and all that stuff so if something was going wrong I would stop it immediatley. I will take a look to that website but in the meantime, I've sent you the speccy link, what do you thnk? And yeah, the driver works fine, this driver not the windows update one.. this one only tells me there are newer drivers, that i am using a very old one and that's it, in rainbow six siege for example, but so far the other games i plan on running here work just fine, it was just that it was not using the 960m to play them now it is. PS: I had to download 2 things, one was a .dll and an .exe and placed themre where they were supposed to be because the services were not even there and these files were rsponsible for the switch between nvidia and intel graphics.
    Yeah, well, regarding the temperature and all that, I ALWAYS use msi afterburner's riva tuner to moitor the temps and all that stuff so if something was going wrong I would stop it immediatley. I will take a look to that website but in the meantime, I've sent you the speccy link, what do you thnk?

And yeah, the driver works fine, this driver not the windows update one.. this one only tells me there are newer drivers, that i am using a very old one and that's it, in rainbow six siege for example, but so far the other games i plan on running here work just fine, it was just that it was not using the 960m to play them now it is.

PS: I had to download 2 things, one was a .dll and an .exe and placed themre where they were supposed to be because the services were not even there and these files were rsponsible for the switch between nvidia and intel graphics.

Posted 01/13/2018 04:47 AM   
    . MSI Afterburner has been known to cause instabiity. So, if you start to have any that would be the first thing to toss. ================ Was hoping with the SPECCY that this unit was more of a CLEVO | SAGER model motherboard. [quote]CZC Type2 - Board Product Name1[/quote] Never seen this one before. ============= The Memory being used does not truly match. The profile is off. This creates its own issues. Samsung Profile #3 [1071.4MHz 15-15-15-36] A-Data Profile #6 [1090.9MHz [color="orange"]15-15-15-35[/color]] Both sticks are forced to use that timing, but they do not match the 1064MHz that they are running at. (2)1071.4 = 2142.8MHz (2)1090.9 = 2181.8MHz (2)1064 = 2128Mhz (2133MHz in the grand scheme) Both of these sticks are 2400MHz. So, the fact you are running them lower than their rated my be saving you. But this will be a point to watch for instability as well. =============== Interesting...It shows a Lenovo Easy Camera. Is this a built in camera? If so, it can give some deeper insight to what company this laptop is built off of. =============== The iGPU is @ 1047MHz (ACTIVE) Which means the nGPU should be at something like 135MHz / 405MHz (Inactive) When fully engaged the nGPU should be ""around"" 1097 MHz / 1253MHz What does yours hit? Cause according to the Profile listed its supposed to only get 849MHz / 800MHz (I believe) .

MSI Afterburner has been known to cause instabiity.

So, if you start to have any that would be the first thing to toss.

================

Was hoping with the SPECCY that this unit was more of a CLEVO | SAGER model motherboard.
    CZC Type2 - Board Product Name1
    Never seen this one before.

=============

The Memory being used does not truly match. The profile is off. This creates its own issues.
    Samsung Profile #3 [1071.4MHz 15-15-15-36]
    A-Data Profile #6 [1090.9MHz 15-15-15-35]

Both sticks are forced to use that timing, but they do not match the 1064MHz that they are running at.
    (2)1071.4 = 2142.8MHz
    (2)1090.9 = 2181.8MHz
    (2)1064 = 2128Mhz (2133MHz in the grand scheme)

Both of these sticks are 2400MHz. So, the fact you are running them lower than their rated my be saving you. But this will be a point to watch for instability as well.

===============

Interesting...It shows a Lenovo Easy Camera. Is this a built in camera?

If so, it can give some deeper insight to what company this laptop is built off of.

===============

The iGPU is @ 1047MHz (ACTIVE)

Which means the nGPU should be at something like 135MHz / 405MHz (Inactive)
    When fully engaged the nGPU should be ""around"" 1097 MHz / 1253MHz

What does yours hit? Cause according to the Profile listed its supposed to only get 849MHz / 800MHz (I believe)

Posted 01/13/2018 03:02 PM   
    Well, as I said before, it is a chinese brand, even the GPU under GPU-Z is unk own sub vendor, so, there you go with the branding of the laptop heh... The memory is a weird thing, windows task manager shows it to be a 2133 stick (the one it came with, the samsung, the one i bought extra, the adata, was a 2400 because the sticker on the samsung one said it was a 2400, I don,t know what is going on there. Regarding the gpu, I don't have my laptop right now but that sounds about right, when I use the most up to date drivers that I can, it can be used for games and it does clock high but can't remember the number, will update when I get home but it does get way higher than 800MHz
    Well, as I said before, it is a chinese brand, even the GPU under GPU-Z is unk own sub vendor, so, there you go with the branding of the laptop heh...

The memory is a weird thing, windows task manager shows it to be a 2133 stick (the one it came with, the samsung, the one i bought extra, the adata, was a 2400 because the sticker on the samsung one said it was a 2400, I don,t know what is going on there.

Regarding the gpu, I don't have my laptop right now but that sounds about right, when I use the most up to date drivers that I can, it can be used for games and it does clock high but can't remember the number, will update when I get home but it does get way higher than 800MHz

Posted 01/13/2018 05:39 PM   
    . CPU-Z has 2 tabs dealing with memory and should show profiles. Check that information against SPECCY. Then Remove the second stick and see what it clocks to then. Then try the Driver updating. .

CPU-Z has 2 tabs dealing with memory and should show profiles.

Check that information against SPECCY.

Then Remove the second stick and see what it clocks to then. Then try the Driver updating.

Posted 01/13/2018 06:35 PM   
    Hello, it reaches 1289MHz overclocked when gaming, and yeah, it is a built in camera I had nothing plugged in, I don't even own a usb webcam so it must be the built in one. About the memory, what kind of issues can I expect from having mismatched timings apart from stability? Is it worse to have 1 stick running at max speeds but only 4 gigs, or the 2 sticks at less speed but 8 gigs total?
    Hello, it reaches 1289MHz overclocked when gaming, and yeah, it is a built in camera I had nothing plugged in, I don't even own a usb webcam so it must be the built in one.

About the memory, what kind of issues can I expect from having mismatched timings apart from stability? Is it worse to have 1 stick running at max speeds but only 4 gigs, or the 2 sticks at less speed but 8 gigs total?

Posted 01/14/2018 07:49 PM   
    . [quote]About the memory, what kind of issues can I expect from having mismatched timings apart from stability? Is it worse to have 1 stick running at max speeds but only 4 gigs, or the 2 sticks at less speed but 8 gigs total?[/quote] It is worse to have 8GB where 1 module is running at timings it is not designed for. This can lead to instability, hardware conflict(remember the Memory controller is part of the CPU) and even damage memory modules over time. ======================== I would not try to update the Driver any further. As this could make things worse. If I were, I would want to IMAGE the OS installation onto a second drive. Then I would: Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/387.92/387.92-notebook-win10-64bit-international-rs3-whql.exe]387.92[/url] Notebook driver Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER) Disable the Windows 10 [url=https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html]Driver updating[/url]. Need to apply the [color="orange"]Option 2 and 4[/color] .REG file. Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Run DDU [.]Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, do not restart[/.] Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> [color="orange"]Un[/color]check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Back in normal Windows: Install the NVIDIA 387.92 driver [.]Select: Custom[/.] [.]Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX[/.] [.]Finish the Install[/.] Reboot Then update the PhysX| GFE as needed using the Individual package download. Turn off Driver updating in the GFE. .

About the memory, what kind of issues can I expect from having mismatched timings apart from stability? Is it worse to have 1 stick running at max speeds but only 4 gigs, or the 2 sticks at less speed but 8 gigs total?
    It is worse to have 8GB where 1 module is running at timings it is not designed for.

This can lead to instability, hardware conflict(remember the Memory controller is part of the CPU) and even damage memory modules over time.

========================

I would not try to update the Driver any further. As this could make things worse.

If I were, I would want to IMAGE the OS installation onto a second drive.
    Then I would:

Download this 387.92 Notebook driver

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER)

Disable the Windows 10 Driver updating. Need to apply the Option 2 and 4 .REG file.

Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Run DDU
  • Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers
  • Select: Clean, do not restart

• Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> Uncheck the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Back in normal Windows:

Install the NVIDIA 387.92 driver
  • Select: Custom
  • Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX
  • Finish the Install
  • Reboot

Then update the PhysX| GFE as needed using the Individual package download. Turn off Driver updating in the GFE.

Posted 01/14/2018 07:59 PM   
    All of this you would recomend doing with only one RAM stick?
    All of this you would recomend doing with only one RAM stick?

Posted 01/14/2018 11:43 PM   
    . Yes. .

Yes.

Posted 01/14/2018 11:57 PM   
    Hello. Tried it all step by step, did not work :( I am still only able to install the latest driver Driver Boster can find which is 36X.XX something.
    Hello.

Tried it all step by step, did not work :( I am still only able to install the latest driver Driver Boster can find which is 36X.XX something.

Posted 01/15/2018 09:15 PM   
    . :( - That might be where you have to stay. You may head to Laptop2GO and see if they can modify the Driver ini to work. As for any game that you have that states it needs s newer version, use [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/]this[/url] .

:( - That might be where you have to stay.

You may head to Laptop2GO and see if they can modify the Driver ini to work.

As for any game that you have that states it needs s newer version, use this

Posted 01/15/2018 10:42 PM   
      1 / 2    
    Scroll To Top