Strange Screen Corruption With 1080 TI
Hi folks, I have an MSI Gaming X 1080TI for couple of months. Last week I had a strange screen corruption while playing Destiny 2 after alt tabbed. I tried turning the screen off and on but then I got "no signal" on monitor. I had to reset and everything went back to normal. Today I had the exact same corruption right after I started Wolfenstein II. I managed to capture the corruption this time with my phone. https://youtu.be/ddVd3ZkUsQ8 After restarting the PC, everything again went back to normal. But right now I'm kind of worried. I'm on the latest driver by the way (390.65). Last week I was on the previous driver (388.71). I always DDU before installing a new driver. Anyone has an idea what might cause this? Is it a faulty graphics card? Or can it be caused by DSR or anything else? Best System Specs: i7 4770K MSI z87 GD65 motherboard (BIOS 1.C) 2X8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 (xmp) DDR3 RAM EVGA Supernova G2 750W PSU Viewsonic XG2401 monitor Windows 10 Pro (1709- 16299.192) Onboard Sound Card
Hi folks,

I have an MSI Gaming X 1080TI for couple of months. Last week I had a strange screen corruption while playing Destiny 2 after alt tabbed.

I tried turning the screen off and on but then I got "no signal" on monitor.

I had to reset and everything went back to normal.

Today I had the exact same corruption right after I started Wolfenstein II. I managed to capture the corruption this time with my phone.

https://youtu.be/ddVd3ZkUsQ8

After restarting the PC, everything again went back to normal. But right now I'm kind of worried.

I'm on the latest driver by the way (390.65). Last week I was on the previous driver (388.71). I always DDU before installing a new driver.

Anyone has an idea what might cause this? Is it a faulty graphics card? Or can it be caused by DSR or anything else?

Best

System Specs:

i7 4770K
MSI z87 GD65 motherboard (BIOS 1.C)
2X8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 (xmp) DDR3 RAM
EVGA Supernova G2 750W PSU
Viewsonic XG2401 monitor
Windows 10 Pro (1709- 16299.192)
Onboard Sound Card

Posted 01/12/2018 10:46 PM   
I've seen this with a bad resume from hibernate, are you using Sleep? Hibernate?
I've seen this with a bad resume from hibernate, are you using Sleep? Hibernate?

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 01/13/2018 02:31 AM   
[quote="Sora"]I've seen this with a bad resume from hibernate, are you using Sleep? Hibernate?[/quote] Nope. They are both disabled. I just have the "turn off display" setting enabled, but at those moments display wasn't turned off. The reason I suspect from the DSR is; the corruption seems like something is wrong with the resolution. For the time being I disabled the DSR and waiting. The problem is impossible to replicate so I don't have any other choice it seems. Though I'm kind of sure that something I did is triggered this corruption. First time I alt tabbed from Destiny 2, and second time it happened right after I started a game. For long hours of gaming sessions nothing happened. Temperatures are all fine too.
Sora said:I've seen this with a bad resume from hibernate, are you using Sleep? Hibernate?

Nope. They are both disabled. I just have the "turn off display" setting enabled, but at those moments display wasn't turned off.

The reason I suspect from the DSR is; the corruption seems like something is wrong with the resolution. For the time being I disabled the DSR and waiting. The problem is impossible to replicate so I don't have any other choice it seems. Though I'm kind of sure that something I did is triggered this corruption. First time I alt tabbed from Destiny 2, and second time it happened right after I started a game. For long hours of gaming sessions nothing happened. Temperatures are all fine too.

Posted 01/13/2018 12:25 PM   
Any ideas? Maybe you can get an idea of what would that be from driver team @ManuelGuzmanNV ?
Any ideas?

Maybe you can get an idea of what would that be from driver team @ManuelGuzmanNV ?

Posted 01/15/2018 01:55 PM   
. [quote="supertrqmp"]Any ideas? [/quote] Try this and see if it still happens. If it does not, then you know it is DRIVER related. Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/387.92/387.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international-rs3-whql.exe]387.92[/url] driver Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER) Disable the Windows 10 [url=https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html]Driver updating[/url]. Need to apply the [color="orange"]Option 2 and 4[/color] .REG file. Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Run DDU [.]Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, do not restart[/.] Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> [color="orange"]Un[/color]check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot. Back in normal Windows: Install the NVIDIA 387.92 driver [.]Select: Custom[/.] [.]Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX[/.] [.]Finish the Install[/.] Reboot Im thinking Memory | Heat after that :) .

supertrqmp said:Any ideas?

Try this and see if it still happens. If it does not, then you know it is DRIVER related.

Download this 387.92 driver

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5 or NEWER)

Disable the Windows 10 Driver updating. Need to apply the Option 2 and 4 .REG file.

Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Run DDU
  • Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers
  • Select: Clean, do not restart

• Search(runbox) > Msconfig > Boot(tab) > Boot Option> Uncheck the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Back in normal Windows:

Install the NVIDIA 387.92 driver
  • Select: Custom
  • Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX
  • Finish the Install
  • Reboot

Im thinking Memory | Heat after that :)

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 01/15/2018 10:57 PM   
    The last major windows update did something to shutdown gui, that made it sleep or hibernate eventhough I turned that off. This would cause issues when I turned off my powerstrip. I don't remember the setting for sure but it could have been this [code] powercfg -qh . . Power Setting GUID: a7066653-8d6c-40a8-910e-a1f54b84c7e5 (Start menu power button) GUID Alias: UIBUTTON_ACTION Possible Setting Index: 000 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Sleep Possible Setting Index: 001 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Hibernate Possible Setting Index: 002 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Shut down Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000002 Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000 . . [/code] If so, this might help (from a administrative command prompt) powercfg /qh scheme_current sub_buttons powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_buttons UIBUTTON_ACTION 2 powercfg /setactive scheme_current I normally use the high performance power plan or scheme_min.
    The last major windows update did something to shutdown gui, that made it sleep or hibernate eventhough I turned that off. This would cause issues when I turned off my powerstrip.

I don't remember the setting for sure but it could have been this

powercfg -qh
    Power Setting GUID: a7066653-8d6c-40a8-910e-a1f54b84c7e5 (Start menu power button)
    GUID Alias: UIBUTTON_ACTION
    Possible Setting Index: 000
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Sleep
    Possible Setting Index: 001
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Hibernate
    Possible Setting Index: 002
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Shut down
    Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000002
    Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

If so, this might help (from a administrative command prompt)

powercfg /qh scheme_current sub_buttons
    powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_buttons UIBUTTON_ACTION 2
    powercfg /setactive scheme_current

I normally use the high performance power plan or scheme_min.

Posted 01/16/2018 06:57 AM   
    [quote="Greybear"] . [quote="supertrqmp"]Any ideas? [/quote] Try this and see if it still happens. If it does not, then you know it is DRIVER related. ... Im thinking Memory | Heat after that :) .[/quote] What's with the driver 387.92 btw? It's been a week and it never happened since I disabled the DSR. Though it happened 2 times in total anyway and there was exactly a week between them. If it happens again I'll just rollback to 387.92. I always use DDU like you explained, before installing a new driver. I don't think it's related to heat. Because; last time, it happened right after I started a game and the gpu was around 30C at that point. It barely reaches 70-72C while playing games for extended periods of times and never had an issue while playing a game. Both of the times it happened right after I did something (first time: alt tabbing - second time: starting a game) I'm not sure about memory though. Is there a way to test it? Also I had memory errors/ artifacts in the past and those weren't anything like that. In this case, games run normal but with that broken resolution, no weird artifacts going on. [quote="T-45 Goshawk"]The last major windows update did something to shutdown gui, that made it sleep or hibernate eventhough I turned that off. This would cause issues when I turned off my powerstrip. I don't remember the setting for sure but it could have been this [code] powercfg -qh . . Power Setting GUID: a7066653-8d6c-40a8-910e-a1f54b84c7e5 (Start menu power button) GUID Alias: UIBUTTON_ACTION Possible Setting Index: 000 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Sleep Possible Setting Index: 001 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Hibernate Possible Setting Index: 002 Possible Setting Friendly Name: Shut down Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000002 Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000 . . [/code] If so, this might help (from a administrative command prompt) powercfg /qh scheme_current sub_buttons powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_buttons UIBUTTON_ACTION 2 powercfg /setactive scheme_current I normally use the high performance power plan or scheme_min. [/quote] Thanks, I will try that as well if that happens again. I'm on balanced power plan but sleep and hibarnate seems disabled.
    Greybear said:

supertrqmp said:Any ideas?

Try this and see if it still happens. If it does not, then you know it is DRIVER related.

Im thinking Memory | Heat after that :)

What's with the driver 387.92 btw?

It's been a week and it never happened since I disabled the DSR. Though it happened 2 times in total anyway and there was exactly a week between them. If it happens again I'll just rollback to 387.92. I always use DDU like you explained, before installing a new driver.

I don't think it's related to heat. Because; last time, it happened right after I started a game and the gpu was around 30C at that point. It barely reaches 70-72C while playing games for extended periods of times and never had an issue while playing a game. Both of the times it happened right after I did something (first time: alt tabbing - second time: starting a game)

I'm not sure about memory though. Is there a way to test it? Also I had memory errors/ artifacts in the past and those weren't anything like that. In this case, games run normal but with that broken resolution, no weird artifacts going on.

T-45 Goshawk said:The last major windows update did something to shutdown gui, that made it sleep or hibernate eventhough I turned that off. This would cause issues when I turned off my powerstrip.

I don't remember the setting for sure but it could have been this

powercfg -qh
    Power Setting GUID: a7066653-8d6c-40a8-910e-a1f54b84c7e5 (Start menu power button)
    GUID Alias: UIBUTTON_ACTION
    Possible Setting Index: 000
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Sleep
    Possible Setting Index: 001
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Hibernate
    Possible Setting Index: 002
    Possible Setting Friendly Name: Shut down
    Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000002
    Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000

If so, this might help (from a administrative command prompt)

powercfg /qh scheme_current sub_buttons
    powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_buttons UIBUTTON_ACTION 2
    powercfg /setactive scheme_current

I normally use the high performance power plan or scheme_min.

Thanks, I will try that as well if that happens again. I'm on balanced power plan but sleep and hibarnate seems disabled.

Posted 01/16/2018 08:06 PM   
    . Sometimes, things appear correctly disabled, but you re-Enable. Save. Reboot. Re-Disable. Save. Reboot and they work correctly again. .

Sometimes, things appear correctly disabled, but you re-Enable. Save. Reboot. Re-Disable. Save. Reboot and they work correctly again.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 01/17/2018 04:46 AM   
    Scroll To Top