Speculation for CES 2018 - Shield TV
  1 / 4    
Nvidia gives their presentation tonight at CES! I would/imagine they have something up their sleeves for Shield TV despite it being an almost perfect streamer. I am hoping for support of Dolby Vision ... You?!
Nvidia gives their presentation tonight at CES!

I would/imagine they have something up their sleeves for Shield TV despite it being an almost perfect streamer.

I am hoping for support of Dolby Vision ...

You?!

Posted 01/07/2018 03:51 PM   
Maybe they will announce a home automation device that works with google assistant this year.....
Maybe they will announce a home automation device that works with google assistant this year.....

Posted 01/07/2018 04:00 PM   
Yeah, just hoping for the Spot as well.
Yeah, just hoping for the Spot as well.

Posted 01/07/2018 04:30 PM   
Oh and Nvidia will be giving their presentation at 8 pm PT.
Oh and Nvidia will be giving their presentation at 8 pm PT.

Posted 01/07/2018 04:39 PM   
Wishlist: -confirmation of Ubisoft games on GeForce Now (as leaked earlier this week) -improved remote control with IR blaster for TV power and volume (see excellent new 2017 Roku remotes) - Dolby Vision -new games!
Wishlist:

-confirmation of Ubisoft games on GeForce Now (as leaked earlier this week)

-improved remote control with IR blaster for TV power and volume (see excellent new 2017 Roku remotes)

- Dolby Vision

-new games!

Posted 01/07/2018 05:58 PM   
Oreo update w/proper refresh & resolution switching w/rec709 & 2020 colorspaces.
Oreo update w/proper refresh & resolution switching w/rec709 & 2020 colorspaces.

Posted 01/08/2018 12:43 AM   
My guess: - We won't hear a whole lot about the Shield TV. They already did a re-launch and it just doesn't take off. - At best, they will simply present the new Oreo launcher and re-introduce the Spot, which will be released in the US only. (of course) - Don't expect any new major features. No Dolby Vision, nor anything like that. Maybe some minor licensing deals for Geforce Now, but that's about it. Nvidia really gave it all with the Shield family and Android in general, but the gamble just didn't paid off. Granted, Nvidia is making so much money with their GPU business it's nowhere nearly enough to put the company at risk; they can afford to lose tons of money on recalls and extended support just for the sake of their reputation, but I'm pretty sure they are very tired of it. The portable bombed. They had tons of manufacturing problems with the tablet. Same with the SSHD-based Shield TV. The last non-Nvidia Android product to have sported a Tegra chip was.. The Nexus 9? They don't even have a modem division anymore nor any replacement solution to offer. Nvidia is DONE with Android.
My guess:

- We won't hear a whole lot about the Shield TV. They already did a re-launch and it just doesn't take off.

- At best, they will simply present the new Oreo launcher and re-introduce the Spot, which will be released in the US only. (of course)

- Don't expect any new major features. No Dolby Vision, nor anything like that. Maybe some minor licensing deals for Geforce Now, but that's about it.

Nvidia really gave it all with the Shield family and Android in general, but the gamble just didn't paid off.

Granted, Nvidia is making so much money with their GPU business it's nowhere nearly enough to put the company at risk; they can afford to lose tons of money on recalls and extended support just for the sake of their reputation, but I'm pretty sure they are very tired of it.

The portable bombed. They had tons of manufacturing problems with the tablet. Same with the SSHD-based Shield TV. The last non-Nvidia Android product to have sported a Tegra chip was.. The Nexus 9? They don't even have a modem division anymore nor any replacement solution to offer.

Nvidia is DONE with Android.

Posted 01/08/2018 05:39 AM   
So the press confirence is over and there was no announcment about Shield TV, accepet one announcement about 65" 4K 120Hz gaming displays with Android TV built in. [url]https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display[/url]
So the press confirence is over and there was no announcment about Shield TV, accepet one announcement about 65" 4K 120Hz gaming displays with Android TV built in.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display

Posted 01/08/2018 06:11 AM   
Don't underestimate those screens. As they will be shipped with Android-TV, nvidia has to continue to support it for a while. So there is a good chance that they'll continue on the current Android-TV as well. As the builtin Android-TV is just a toy, I guess it will still be powered by the cheap but outdated X1, sadly. So no clue if/when nvidia will release a second generation of the Android-TV streaming box (no, the 2017 one is just a remake...)
Don't underestimate those screens. As they will be shipped with Android-TV, nvidia has to continue to support it for a while. So there is a good chance that they'll continue on the current Android-TV as well. As the builtin Android-TV is just a toy, I guess it will still be powered by the cheap but outdated X1, sadly. So no clue if/when nvidia will release a second generation of the Android-TV streaming box (no, the 2017 one is just a remake...)

Posted 01/08/2018 08:33 AM   
[quote="Kookitza"][url]https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display[/url][/quote] If they are NOT ultra-wide displays, I am NOT interested. I already own a 2560x1080p monitor, and looking forward to 5120x2160p. The half-baked Android TV OS is also a big [size="XL"]—[/size]
Kookitza said:https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display

If they are NOT ultra-wide displays, I am NOT interested.
I already own a 2560x1080p monitor, and looking forward to 5120x2160p.
The half-baked Android TV OS is also a big

Posted 01/08/2018 09:08 AM   
Well, that was a disappointment. Lol
Well, that was a disappointment. Lol

Posted 01/08/2018 01:44 PM   
A big fat year from CES 2017, safe to presume any hopes for the Spot is dead? I get that it was only a microphone, but ffs, that Samsung Smarththings dongle clashes. Marketing a white dongle for a black unit ?? Fk it, I'm not buying into it yet by Summer Amazon and Google will have their next models out and will revisit this whole voice thing.
A big fat year from CES 2017, safe to presume any hopes for the Spot is dead? I get that it was only a microphone, but ffs, that Samsung Smarththings dongle clashes. Marketing a white dongle for a black unit ?? Fk it, I'm not buying into it yet by Summer Amazon and Google will have their next models out and will revisit this whole voice thing.

Posted 01/08/2018 02:31 PM   
[quote="Wewewi"]My guess: <snip> The portable bombed. They had tons of manufacturing problems with the tablet. Same with the SSHD-based Shield TV. [b]The last non-Nvidia Android product to have sported a Tegra chip was.. The Nexus 9?[/b] They don't even have a modem division anymore nor any replacement solution to offer. Nvidia is DONE with Android. [/quote] Nope, the last non NVIDIA prodict to have sported the Tegra chip is the Nintendo Switch and that is going like mad!
Wewewi said:My guess:

<snip>

The portable bombed. They had tons of manufacturing problems with the tablet. Same with the SSHD-based Shield TV. The last non-Nvidia Android product to have sported a Tegra chip was.. The Nexus 9? They don't even have a modem division anymore nor any replacement solution to offer.

Nvidia is DONE with Android.

Nope, the last non NVIDIA prodict to have sported the Tegra chip is the Nintendo Switch and that is going like mad!

Posted 01/08/2018 02:45 PM   
Oh well I sold my Shield TV anyway! It wasn't getting any good games anyway. Lol
Oh well I sold my Shield TV anyway! It wasn't getting any good games anyway. Lol

Posted 01/08/2018 03:11 PM   
Well, most people buy Shield TV, Apple TV, Roku etc. and use it for some time (as Shield and Apple TV are not cheap) so I don't think there is a need for new Shield TV, why? Tegra X1 + 3GB of RAM is more than enough for TV Box. I only hoped for Oreo update, but to me, it looks like Google problem because every new TV and Box still use Nougat and also Oreo launcher on Nexus Player is pretty bad.
Well, most people buy Shield TV, Apple TV, Roku etc. and use it for some time (as Shield and Apple TV are not cheap) so I don't think there is a need for new Shield TV, why? Tegra X1 + 3GB of RAM is more than enough for TV Box. I only hoped for Oreo update, but to me, it looks like Google problem because every new TV and Box still use Nougat and also Oreo launcher on Nexus Player is pretty bad.

Posted 01/08/2018 03:30 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top