ITunes 4k hdr possible on shield?
So I have noticed that more and more movies with 4k hdr is popping up on iTunes and I was wondering if they are possible to play on the shield somehow? I just bought a LG Oled and I really want to use it's full potential. Sadly Google play movies can't seem to compete with ITunes.
So I have noticed that more and more movies with 4k hdr is popping up on iTunes and I was wondering if they are possible to play on the shield somehow? I just bought a LG Oled and I really want to use it's full potential. Sadly Google play movies can't seem to compete with ITunes.

Posted 12/07/2017 07:43 AM   
No... Probably, almost definitely no. Unless (Cr)Apple were to release some kind of iTunes (or whatever they'd care to call it.), that could be ran natively on Android. Why?! My guess for starters would be their 'Fairplay' DRM having no decrypt Keys outside of their iTunes Software / iPhones. This said the DRM-Free stuff you 'shoot' at 4k With said iThingy should be able to play just fine as rain. By proxy of not being encumbered in proprietary DRM crap. P.s. Thinking about this some more.. (And TBH I haven't a clue!) It may be at least possible for you to stream the Content from your MacBook iThingy to the Shield TV. But, that's probably not the answer you wanted. But, outside of this One possibility. (Outside of striping off the DRM Layer. I don't think your going to have to live with an ATV instead.
No... Probably, almost definitely no. Unless (Cr)Apple were to release some kind of iTunes (or whatever they'd care to call it.), that could be ran natively on Android. Why?! My guess for starters would be their 'Fairplay' DRM having no decrypt Keys outside of their iTunes Software / iPhones.

This said the DRM-Free stuff you 'shoot' at 4k With said iThingy should be able to play just fine as rain. By proxy of not being encumbered in proprietary DRM crap.

P.s. Thinking about this some more.. (And TBH I haven't a clue!)
It may be at least possible for you to stream the Content from your MacBook iThingy to the Shield TV. But, that's probably not the answer you wanted. But, outside of this One possibility. (Outside of striping off the DRM Layer. I don't think your going to have to live with an ATV instead.

Posted 12/07/2017 03:33 PM   
If you are in the US, Vudu is a good choice given it is on pretty much every platform, and they recently rolled out HDR support on SHIELD.
If you are in the US, Vudu is a good choice given it is on pretty much every platform, and they recently rolled out HDR support on SHIELD.

Posted 12/07/2017 04:04 PM   
Nvidia tend to be USA-centric.... there are over 7 billion other people on the planet!
Nvidia tend to be USA-centric.... there are over 7 billion other people on the planet!

Posted 12/07/2017 08:22 PM   
Whats USA-Centric about the Shield? VUDU invade you lost the plot is Walmarts backed streaming service for the UltravVolet DVD/BlueRay/UHD BlueRay publishers. Such other Device like Videociety also exist outside of the US/CAN. (e.g. In Germany), that offer a near 1:1 Service. The 'difference' is One has an Android TV Application, and the other, not so much? So as always... Contact your local UltraViolet Provider, for your Country, and demand an Android TV App.
Whats USA-Centric about the Shield? VUDU invade you lost the plot is Walmarts backed streaming service for the UltravVolet DVD/BlueRay/UHD BlueRay publishers. Such other Device like Videociety also exist outside of the US/CAN. (e.g. In Germany), that offer a near 1:1 Service.

The 'difference' is One has an Android TV Application, and the other, not so much?

So as always... Contact your local UltraViolet Provider, for your Country, and demand an Android TV App.

Posted 12/08/2017 05:42 AM   
I think the question should be phrased what’s not USA-centric? I wasn’t talking one specific app more the shield and the operating system it relies on. When i get such things as a full compliment of UK free on demand services and google assistant you can argue otherwise. Yes. I know you’ll say its googles fault, but to some extent it doesn’t matter who’s fault it is - if it was a US problem it would appear to get fixed pronto. Look at the last firmware release see what everywhere outside the US got ?
I think the question should be phrased what’s not USA-centric? I wasn’t talking one specific app more the shield and the operating system it relies on. When i get such things as a full compliment of UK free on demand services and google assistant you can argue otherwise.

Yes. I know you’ll say its googles fault, but to some extent it doesn’t matter who’s fault it is - if it was a US problem it would appear to get fixed pronto.

Look at the last firmware release see what everywhere outside the US got ?

Posted 12/09/2017 04:03 AM   
Scroll To Top