Movie cuts out while playing
During playback of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Shield stopped playing a couple of times. It's a 60gb 4k HDR movie, m2ts format. It seems Shield can't handle the bitrate at difficult to render moments in the movie. Set up: playing movie from attached Maxtor USB3 HD. Using SMPC. Never had this problem before but this might be the biggest file I've ever tried.
During playback of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Shield stopped playing a couple of times. It's a 60gb 4k HDR movie, m2ts format. It seems Shield can't handle the bitrate at difficult to render moments in the movie.

Set up: playing movie from attached Maxtor USB3 HD. Using SMPC.

Never had this problem before but this might be the biggest file I've ever tried.

Posted 12/07/2017 07:32 AM   
that's around 65Mbps average bitrate, and I presume VBR so spikes over 100Mb wouldn't be unusual. I believe I've seen 120Mb test files around, but those might be tested from internal storage, I'm not sure. Also depends on whether the drive is running in USB3 HS or SS mode. Should hit rates of 25-35MBps in HS, and 3-5x that in SS -- from what I've found in quick searches. Which if you take 15-20% overhead, even HS would seem to be enough still. However... I don't know how the filesystem format affects read performance overall. A fat32/xfat/ntfs drive may have different performance than an ext4 drive. You could experiment a bit and try to see if ext4 helps you any. And to that end, depends on SPMC read buffering approach (how big are the reads, how much does it pre-buffer to avoid spikes, how long a spike can it 'absorb' in the buffer).
that's around 65Mbps average bitrate, and I presume VBR so spikes over 100Mb wouldn't be unusual. I believe I've seen 120Mb test files around, but those might be tested from internal storage, I'm not sure.

Also depends on whether the drive is running in USB3 HS or SS mode. Should hit rates of 25-35MBps in HS, and 3-5x that in SS -- from what I've found in quick searches. Which if you take 15-20% overhead, even HS would seem to be enough still.

However... I don't know how the filesystem format affects read performance overall. A fat32/xfat/ntfs drive may have different performance than an ext4 drive. You could experiment a bit and try to see if ext4 helps you any. And to that end, depends on SPMC read buffering approach (how big are the reads, how much does it pre-buffer to avoid spikes, how long a spike can it 'absorb' in the buffer).

Posted 12/07/2017 04:30 PM   
It will depend enormously on the drive itself. USB drives (assuming we're talking portable, i.e 2.5" drives) aren't sold for their performance. I couldn't find any official specs on Maxtor USB drives, surprisingly. This was about the best I could find: http://goughlui.com/2016/09/28/review-maxtor-m3-portable-4tb-usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-hx-m401tcbgm/ But as you say, how the drive is formatted will also make a difference - you can see on that page some sample speed tests.
It will depend enormously on the drive itself. USB drives (assuming we're talking portable, i.e 2.5" drives) aren't sold for their performance.

I couldn't find any official specs on Maxtor USB drives, surprisingly. This was about the best I could find:

http://goughlui.com/2016/09/28/review-maxtor-m3-portable-4tb-usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-hx-m401tcbgm/

But as you say, how the drive is formatted will also make a difference - you can see on that page some sample speed tests.

Posted 12/07/2017 05:19 PM   
Thanks folks. So it's due to the lack of speed of the HD? And I thought I was better of relying on an USB drive instead of my network. :-) I'll look into getting another HD I guess. If anyone has some recommendations I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!
Thanks folks. So it's due to the lack of speed of the HD? And I thought I was better of relying on an USB drive instead of my network. :-)
I'll look into getting another HD I guess. If anyone has some recommendations I'd love to hear it.
Thanks again!

Posted 12/07/2017 09:43 PM   
I just asked for a quicker HD on a technical forum while explaining my problem and the concensus over there is that any HD should be able to have the necessary speed for playing movies. I've done a test on my HD and the read speed minimum is 63 Mb/s which indeed should be plenty enough if I've got my Mbs an kbs right in my head. :-) Which gets me back to my problem. What's going on here and is there a solution?
I just asked for a quicker HD on a technical forum while explaining my problem and the concensus over there is that any HD should be able to have the necessary speed for playing movies.

I've done a test on my HD and the read speed minimum is 63 Mb/s which indeed should be plenty enough if I've got my Mbs an kbs right in my head. :-)

Which gets me back to my problem. What's going on here and is there a solution?

Posted 12/08/2017 10:04 AM   
Okay, just checked the first answer here again and I'll go and test some settings in SPMC using [url]http://jell.yfish.us[/url] testfiles Changing the formatting on the HD is a last resort as the disk is quite full with good movies which I don't want to lose. :-)
Okay, just checked the first answer here again and I'll go and test some settings in SPMC using http://jell.yfish.us testfiles

Changing the formatting on the HD is a last resort as the disk is quite full with good movies which I don't want to lose. :-)

Posted 12/08/2017 10:54 AM   
Scroll To Top