How to make Nvidia GPU primary?
I'm going to be honest upfront, while I love my games, I'm not very good with the behind the scenes, drivers and hardware side of things. A few days ago my laptop completely crashed (ASUS with Windows 10), as far as I understand we basically had to completely reinstall windows back to factory settings. This laptop has two GPUs. An Nvidia GForce GTX 850M, and and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. Before the crash it was using the Nvidia card, after fixing it, it seems to have reverted to using the Intel one. Even if i disable the Intel card it doesnt seem to make it use the NVidia one, as I cant access the Nvidia control panel, as it says I'm not using a display using the Nvidia GPU. Trying to play Witcher 3 its running at 1FPS on the lowest settings i can possibly get. Any advice how to make it use the Nvidia card?
I'm going to be honest upfront, while I love my games, I'm not very good with the behind the scenes, drivers and hardware side of things.

A few days ago my laptop completely crashed (ASUS with Windows 10), as far as I understand we basically had to completely reinstall windows back to factory settings.

This laptop has two GPUs. An Nvidia GForce GTX 850M, and and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.
Before the crash it was using the Nvidia card, after fixing it, it seems to have reverted to using the Intel one. Even if i disable the Intel card it doesnt seem to make it use the NVidia one, as I cant access the Nvidia control panel, as it says I'm not using a display using the Nvidia GPU. Trying to play Witcher 3 its running at 1FPS on the lowest settings i can possibly get.

Any advice how to make it use the Nvidia card?

Posted 12/06/2017 11:18 PM   
the gtx 850 isn't being used because its either dead or so faulty its code 43'd.
the gtx 850 isn't being used because its either dead or so faulty its code 43'd.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/07/2017 01:43 AM   
[quote] Even if i disable the Intel card it doesnt seem to make it use the NVidia one as I cant access the Nvidia control panel, as it says I'm not using a display using the Nvidia GPU.[/quote] This is an Optimus enabled laptop...The Intel APU is [u]required[/u] to be fully functional in order for the Nvidia GPU to be recognized. [quote](ASUS with Windows 10)[/quote] Not exactly a model#, but noting that this is an Asus unit typically means that it requires the drivers and OS provided by Asus as certified with the unit. You have a laptop; you should not attempt to "update" the driver [b]or OS[/b] unless it is specifically listed on the [u]manufacturer's website[/u] under your [u]exact model#[/u]. If not, then issues such as yours (or much worse) will arise. This is because the OEM manufacturer is the manufacturer of the graphics device (card); not Nvidia, which only produces the physical "chip" to these manufacturers. Vram, PCB, VRM, trace, and cooling are all designed by the OEM manufacturer; thus is considered as "proprietary" hardware. In which; has it's own thermal and power limits that can be effected with use of 3rd party (vanilla) drivers and can damage or lower the performance of the hardware. [quote]Run [url=http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html]DDU[/url] to uninstall the "updated" Vanilla driver pack and install the driver via the [u]laptop manufacturer's website[/u] under your exact model#. Mobile units are not like their desktop cousins; thus cannot be treated as such. When using mobile platforms you want to ALWAYS use manufacturer approved drivers as they are often modified for use with your proprietary hardware; as well as, fit within your machines power and thermal limits. Do Not allow GFE or Windows to install your drivers for you. As stated within the Nvidia driver patch notes since R304: [quote] [color="orange"]"This is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."[/color] [/quote] <<<Most Important>>> [b]"IF" your laptop model does not list Windows 10 drivers/Bios available for your exact model# on [u]the "manufacturer's website"[/u] then revert back to the OEM OS!![/b] (Also stated within #8 of the [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/759841/professional-forum-etiquette-lt-please-read/]Forum Sticky[/url]) -Download both the Nvidia driver "AND" the Intel driver found on [u]Manufacturer's site[/u] (not here, not via GFE) under your "specific" model# laptop and save them to desktop. -Download/install [url=http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/]DDU[/url] -Disable Automatic updates (switch off your wifi) [u]if on Win10[/u] -Run DDU completely removing [u]BOTH[/u] the Intel and Nvidia drivers (in safe mode) -Reboot when asked -Keeping wifi disabled (again; [u]"IF"[/u] on Win10) install the Intel Driver pack [b][u](required)[/u][/b] as the Intel drivers must be fully functional [u]"prior"[/u] to installing the Nvidia graphics drivers. -Reboot when complete -Then install the Nvidia driver pack -Reboot -Re-enable WiFi / Disable Automatic updates and alerts from GFE ([u]only install drivers located on the manufacturer's website[/u]) [/quote] [/quote] [b]If the above does not remedy the issue then there is a "hardware" or "OS" issue.[/b] Would also like to note that the 850M is [b]FAR[/b] below the minimum requirements (720p) for The Witcher 3. [b]Minimum System Requirements[/b] (720p) CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce [b]GTX 660[/b] RAM: 6GB OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) HDD Space: 40 GB DirectX 11 [b]Recommended System Requirements[/b] (1080p) CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz or AMD AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce [b]GTX 770[/b] RAM: 8GB OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) HDD Space: 40 GB DirectX 11 Allow me to explain how Nvidia's model numbers work; so that you are better able to understand the differences between them, and how they are classified. 1st thing to note is that there are two differing classes of "consumer" graphics chips offered by Nvidia; [b]"GT"[/b] and [b]"GTX"[/b]. - [b]"GT" class [/b]GPUs are designed for "media" applications such as HD video playback and Flash (think Facebook) games. These perform very poorly in "modern gaming" titles and/or 3D modeling/rendering. - [b]"GTX" class[/b] GPUs are designed for "gaming" in mind -The 1st number of the model# refers to the "series" and has [u]ZERO[/u] indication of performance. -The 2nd # relates to the card's actual performance within that series. -The end suffix "ti" refers to a mid-point card (or "half year" since these are usually released 6-8 months after the non-"ti" version). A "ti" card usually has ~20% better performance than the non-ti model and is "halfway" between the non-ti model and the next model up. (ie: GTX650->GTX650ti->GTX660) -The [b]"GT"[/b] line runs from x10 -> x40 (Media grade) -The [b]"GTX"[/b] line runs from x50 -> x80 (Gaming grade); while the x"90" is a dual GPU card which currently ended with the GTX690. (Titan excluded) Example 1: The model# GTX-650 tells us that it's a "600 series", "gaming grade", entry level GPU "GTX"= gaming "6"= 600 series "50"= entry level "gaming" GPU (ie: 50 of 80) -Then there's the [b]"M" notation[/b]... This stands for a "Mobile" (ie: Laptop) chip and in [u]NO WAY[/u] compares to its desktop cousin in respect to performance. Typically; mobile chips offer an approx [b][u]"loss" in performance of 40%-60% when compared to the desktop version.[/u][/b] With the above being said; this places the 850M equal to that of the desktop GT-730 in terms of actual performance. That translates to being approx 400% less than the desktop GTX660 in DX9 applications or 220% less under DX11. Something to always keep in mind when viewing a games/applications requirements. The GTX660 (minimum required) has.... -Much better 3DMark06 score 18,060 vs 4,385.5 (More than 4x better 3DMark06 score) -Better PassMark score 4,121 vs 1,499 (Around 2.8x better PassMark score) -Significantly higher memory bandwidth 179.2 GB/s vs 32 GB/s (More than 5.5x higher memory bandwidth) -Significantly higher effective memory clock speed 5,600 MHz vs 2,002 MHz (More than 2.8x higher effective memory clock speed) -Better 3DMark vantage graphics score 25,130 vs 14,358.5 (More than 75% better 3DMark vantage graphics score) -Much higher FarCry 3 framerate 80 vs 16.4 (Approx 5x higher FarCry 3 framerate) -Higher texture rate 79 GTexel/s vs 36.1 GTexel/s (Approx 2.2x higher texture rate) -More texture mapping units 96 vs 40 (56 more texture mapping units) -Better floating-point performance 1,896.2 GFLOPS vs 1,154.6 GFLOPS (Around 65% better floating-point performance) -More render output processors 32 vs 16 (Twice as many render output processors) -Better fire strike factor score 44.27 vs 26.99 (Around 65% better fire strike factor score) -Significantly More shading units 1,152 vs 640 (512 more shading units) -Higher memory clock speed 1,400 MHz vs 1,001 MHz (Around 40% higher memory clock speed) -Better PassMark direct compute score 1,948 vs 1,215 (More than 60% better PassMark direct compute score)
Even if i disable the Intel card it doesnt seem to make it use the NVidia one as I cant access the Nvidia control panel, as it says I'm not using a display using the Nvidia GPU.
This is an Optimus enabled laptop...The Intel APU is required to be fully functional in order for the Nvidia GPU to be recognized.

(ASUS with Windows 10)
Not exactly a model#, but noting that this is an Asus unit typically means that it requires the drivers and OS provided by Asus as certified with the unit.

You have a laptop; you should not attempt to "update" the driver or OS unless it is specifically listed on the manufacturer's website under your exact model#. If not, then issues such as yours (or much worse) will arise.

This is because the OEM manufacturer is the manufacturer of the graphics device (card); not Nvidia, which only produces the physical "chip" to these manufacturers. Vram, PCB, VRM, trace, and cooling are all designed by the OEM manufacturer; thus is considered as "proprietary" hardware. In which; has it's own thermal and power limits that can be effected with use of 3rd party (vanilla) drivers and can damage or lower the performance of the hardware.

Run DDU to uninstall the "updated" Vanilla driver pack and install the driver via the laptop manufacturer's website under your exact model#. Mobile units are not like their desktop cousins; thus cannot be treated as such. When using mobile platforms you want to ALWAYS use manufacturer approved drivers as they are often modified for use with your proprietary hardware; as well as, fit within your machines power and thermal limits. Do Not allow GFE or Windows to install your drivers for you.

As stated within the Nvidia driver patch notes since R304:

"This is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."

<<<Most Important>>>
"IF" your laptop model does not list Windows 10 drivers/Bios available for your exact model# on the "manufacturer's website" then revert back to the OEM OS!! (Also stated within #8 of the Forum Sticky)

-Download both the Nvidia driver "AND" the Intel driver found on Manufacturer's site (not here, not via GFE) under your "specific" model# laptop and save them to desktop.
-Download/install DDU
-Disable Automatic updates (switch off your wifi) if on Win10
-Run DDU completely removing BOTH the Intel and Nvidia drivers (in safe mode)
-Reboot when asked
-Keeping wifi disabled (again; "IF" on Win10) install the Intel Driver pack (required) as the Intel drivers must be fully functional "prior" to installing the Nvidia graphics drivers.
-Reboot when complete
-Then install the Nvidia driver pack
-Reboot
-Re-enable WiFi / Disable Automatic updates and alerts from GFE (only install drivers located on the manufacturer's website)

If the above does not remedy the issue then there is a "hardware" or "OS" issue.

Would also like to note that the 850M is FAR below the minimum requirements (720p) for The Witcher 3.

Minimum System Requirements
(720p)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
RAM: 6GB
HDD Space: 40 GB
DirectX 11

Recommended System Requirements
(1080p)
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz or AMD AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
RAM: 8GB
HDD Space: 40 GB
DirectX 11

Allow me to explain how Nvidia's model numbers work; so that you are better able to understand the differences between them, and how they are classified.

1st thing to note is that there are two differing classes of "consumer" graphics chips offered by Nvidia; "GT" and "GTX".

- "GT" class GPUs are designed for "media" applications such as HD video playback and Flash (think Facebook) games. These perform very poorly in "modern gaming" titles and/or 3D modeling/rendering.
- "GTX" class GPUs are designed for "gaming" in mind

-The 1st number of the model# refers to the "series" and has ZERO indication of performance.
-The 2nd # relates to the card's actual performance within that series.
-The end suffix "ti" refers to a mid-point card (or "half year" since these are usually released 6-8 months after the non-"ti" version). A "ti" card usually has ~20% better performance than the non-ti model and is "halfway" between the non-ti model and the next model up. (ie: GTX650->GTX650ti->GTX660)

-The "GT" line runs from x10 -> x40 (Media grade)
-The "GTX" line runs from x50 -> x80 (Gaming grade); while the x"90" is a dual GPU card which currently ended with the GTX690. (Titan excluded)

Example 1:
The model# GTX-650 tells us that it's a "600 series", "gaming grade", entry level GPU
"GTX"= gaming
"6"= 600 series
"50"= entry level "gaming" GPU (ie: 50 of 80)

-Then there's the "M" notation... This stands for a "Mobile" (ie: Laptop) chip and in NO WAY compares to its desktop cousin in respect to performance. Typically; mobile chips offer an approx "loss" in performance of 40%-60% when compared to the desktop version.

With the above being said; this places the 850M equal to that of the desktop GT-730 in terms of actual performance. That translates to being approx 400% less than the desktop GTX660 in DX9 applications or 220% less under DX11. Something to always keep in mind when viewing a games/applications requirements.

The GTX660 (minimum required) has....

-Much better 3DMark06 score 18,060 vs 4,385.5 (More than 4x better 3DMark06 score)

-Better PassMark score 4,121 vs 1,499 (Around 2.8x better PassMark score)

-Significantly higher memory bandwidth 179.2 GB/s vs 32 GB/s (More than 5.5x higher memory bandwidth)

-Significantly higher effective memory clock speed 5,600 MHz vs 2,002 MHz (More than 2.8x higher effective memory clock speed)

-Better 3DMark vantage graphics score 25,130 vs 14,358.5 (More than 75% better 3DMark vantage graphics score)

-Much higher FarCry 3 framerate 80 vs 16.4 (Approx 5x higher FarCry 3 framerate)

-Higher texture rate 79 GTexel/s vs 36.1 GTexel/s (Approx 2.2x higher texture rate)

-More texture mapping units 96 vs 40 (56 more texture mapping units)

-Better floating-point performance 1,896.2 GFLOPS vs 1,154.6 GFLOPS (Around 65% better floating-point performance)

-More render output processors 32 vs 16 (Twice as many render output processors)

-Better fire strike factor score 44.27 vs 26.99 (Around 65% better fire strike factor score)

-Significantly More shading units 1,152 vs 640 (512 more shading units)

-Higher memory clock speed 1,400 MHz vs 1,001 MHz (Around 40% higher memory clock speed)

-Better PassMark direct compute score 1,948 vs 1,215 (More than 60% better PassMark direct compute score)

Facebook PC parts Trade/Sales page

Help fight Cancer, Diabetes, Neuro-degenerative, and other disease's while you sleep!

MS-Physics (Thermal Dynamics)/BA-IT/BS-Electronic Engineering
Asus and MSI mobile service center

My main rig:
OS- Win8.1 x64
CPU- i7-4790k @ 4.8Ghz 1.289v (Turbo OFF) Liquid Cooled
RAM-16GB TEAM Xtreme DDR3 @ 2400Mhz (9-12-11-30)1.625v
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z97X Gamer GT
Main Graphics- 2-way SLI EVGA GTX1070
Power Supply- Corsair RM-1000i
3X Surround Samsung 27" (7680 x 1440p)

Radio Server/ Scientific Simulator
CPU1- Xeon X5650 @ 3.2Ghz (locked)
CPU2- Xeon X5650 @ 3.2Ghz (locked)
Motherboard- Asus Z8PE-D12X
RAM- G-Skill RipJaws 24Gb (6x4Gb) DDR3 @ 1600Mhz Cas8
Graphics- GTX780 + GTX560
HDDs- WD RED 3TB (3x3TB) Raid 0= 9TB +1 3Tb back up
PSU- Corsair CX750M
Monitor- 768p Dell P.O.S

STILL working Nvidia GPUs-FX5200,FX5700,6800GT,7900GT(x2),8800GTS(x2),9800GTX,GTX275(x2),GTX285(x2),GTX295(x2),GTX470(x3),GTX480,GTX660ti(x3)GTX770(x3)HWbot Overclocking results

OVERCLOCKING LEAGUE RANKING
Worldwide: #1771 out of 51912
Extreme League: #1255 out of 2826
National: #213 of 20048 in United States
Team: #70 of 3166 in Overclock.net

Posted 12/07/2017 02:17 AM   
Okay so I seem to have got it working. i had to enable the Intel driver, to access the Nvidia control pannel, and from there i was able to set the primary to Nvidia. And for the record Witcher has always run well enough on this laptop, not to the highest settings, but well enough for me to play 500 hours nearly. Thanks for your time
Okay so I seem to have got it working. i had to enable the Intel driver, to access the Nvidia control pannel, and from there i was able to set the primary to Nvidia.

And for the record Witcher has always run well enough on this laptop, not to the highest settings, but well enough for me to play 500 hours nearly.

Thanks for your time

Posted 12/07/2017 12:35 PM   
Scroll To Top