PC randomly freezes while gaming
Hey guys. I have a prebuilt desktop from Cyber Power PC that I just upgraded the graphics card on to a GTX 1050ti. I played a couple of games since and have had 0 issues, except now I'm running into intermittent freezing. This only seems to happen in certain games. Prey, for example, freezes for me 5-10 minutes in every single time. I also had a random freeze in Transistor. There doesnt seem to be a pattern as it doesnt even happen during graphically intensive moments. When this occurs everything becomes unresponsive including the mouse and keyboard so I am forced to do a hard reboot. I've tested the RAM and HD which checked out. I verified all my drivers are up to date. I did a clean uninstall/reinstall of the new GTX drivers and made sure to only select the Graphics Driver with the custom install. I've defragged, done a disk cleanup, checked temperatures and CPU/RAM/Disk utilization during the freezes and everything looks perfectly normal. Any ideas? Below are my specs. HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive) MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Hey guys.

I have a prebuilt desktop from Cyber Power PC that I just upgraded the graphics card on to a GTX 1050ti. I played a couple of games since and have had 0 issues, except now I'm running into intermittent freezing. This only seems to happen in certain games.

Prey, for example, freezes for me 5-10 minutes in every single time. I also had a random freeze in Transistor. There doesnt seem to be a pattern as it doesnt even happen during graphically intensive moments. When this occurs everything becomes unresponsive including the mouse and keyboard so I am forced to do a hard reboot.

I've tested the RAM and HD which checked out. I verified all my drivers are up to date. I did a clean uninstall/reinstall of the new GTX drivers and made sure to only select the Graphics Driver with the custom install. I've defragged, done a disk cleanup, checked temperatures and CPU/RAM/Disk utilization during the freezes and everything looks perfectly normal.

Any ideas?

Below are my specs.

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Posted 12/05/2017 04:02 AM   
. [quote]the new GTX drivers[/quote] This is where I would start: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5): [.]Install DDU[/.] Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows. [.]you will end up in Safe mode[/.] Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE Run DDU: [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, Do not Restart[/.] [.]Shutdown the computer[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]382.33[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.] .

the new GTX drivers
This is where I would start:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5):
  • Install DDU

• Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows.
  • you will end up in Safe mode
  • Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE

Run DDU:
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean, Do not Restart
  • Shutdown the computer

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 382.33 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/05/2017 04:45 AM   
    Thanks for the quick reply. I followed all the above steps and unfortunately the same issue occurred. Played about 5 mins of Prey before it hard froze. :(
    Thanks for the quick reply. I followed all the above steps and unfortunately the same issue occurred. Played about 5 mins of Prey before it hard froze. :(

Posted 12/05/2017 01:48 PM   
    . Make sure those drivers I gave are still in place before: NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance Reboot and retest. If still happening: Run [url=http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_524.exe]HWInfo64[/url] [.]Sensors Only[/.] [.] bottom right - LOGGING (start that)[/.] [.]Leave it running in the Background[/.] Download [url=http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/3dmark,1.html]3DMark[/url] [.]Install[/.] [.]Run it[/.] [.]Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark[/.] [.]Compare Results Online is a Webpage[/.] [.]Please Post that Link here[/.] [.]Close 3DMark / Firestrike[/.] [.]Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info[/.] [.]Post screenshots of HWinfo64[/.] Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic [center]Do not attempt to [size="S"][ALT]+[Tab][/size] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it[/center] [color="orange"]Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.[/color] ======================== Download [url=https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard]SPECCY[/url]. [.]Download[/.] [.]Install[/.] [.]REBOOT <----IMPORTANT[/.] [.]Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.[/.] [center]DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT[/center] .

Make sure those drivers I gave are still in place before:

NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance

Reboot and retest.

If still happening:

Run HWInfo64
  • Sensors Only
  • bottom right - LOGGING (start that)
  • Leave it running in the Background

• Download 3DMark
  • Install
  • Run it
  • Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark
  • Compare Results Online is a Webpage
  • Please Post that Link here

• Close 3DMark / Firestrike
  • Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info
  • Post screenshots of HWinfo64
  • Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic

Do not attempt to [ALT]+[Tab] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it

Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.

========================

Download SPECCY.
  • Download
  • Install
  • REBOOT <----IMPORTANT
  • Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.

• DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 12/06/2017 03:21 AM   
    [quote="Greybear"] . Make sure those drivers I gave are still in place before: NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance Reboot and retest. If still happening: Run [url=http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_524.exe]HWInfo64[/url] [.]Sensors Only[/.] [.] bottom right - LOGGING (start that)[/.] [.]Leave it running in the Background[/.] Download [url=http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/3dmark,1.html]3DMark[/url] [.]Install[/.] [.]Run it[/.] [.]Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark[/.] [.]Compare Results Online is a Webpage[/.] [.]Please Post that Link here[/.] [.]Close 3DMark / Firestrike[/.] [.]Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info[/.] [.]Post screenshots of HWinfo64[/.] Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic [center]Do not attempt to [size="S"][ALT]+[Tab][/size] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it[/center] [color="orange"]Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.[/color] ======================== Download [url=https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard]SPECCY[/url]. [.]Download[/.] [.]Install[/.] [.]REBOOT <----IMPORTANT[/.] [.]Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.[/.] [center]DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT[/center] .[/quote] Same issue occurred about 5 mins in after verifying the driver and making that setting change so I went ahead and PM'ed you the requested info. Here is the last bit which is the link to the benchmark test. Thanks again! https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23837893
    Greybear said:

Make sure those drivers I gave are still in place before:

NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance

Reboot and retest.

If still happening:

Run HWInfo64
  • Sensors Only
  • bottom right - LOGGING (start that)
  • Leave it running in the Background

• Download 3DMark
  • Install
  • Run it
  • Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark
  • Compare Results Online is a Webpage
  • Please Post that Link here

• Close 3DMark / Firestrike
  • Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info
  • Post screenshots of HWinfo64
  • Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic

Do not attempt to [ALT]+[Tab] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it

Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.

========================

Download SPECCY.
  • Download
  • Install
  • REBOOT <----IMPORTANT
  • Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.

• DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT

Same issue occurred about 5 mins in after verifying the driver and making that setting change so I went ahead and PM'ed you the requested info. Here is the last bit which is the link to the benchmark test.

Thanks again!

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23837893

Posted 12/08/2017 05:42 PM   
    . [quote]OS: Win 10 Home 64-bit CPU: AMD FX-9590 RAM: 2x4GB A-Data Technology DDR3 2133 2OZ @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28) Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (BIOS F2) Monitor: ZOWIE RL LCD (1920x1080@60Hz) GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB HDD: 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 Optical: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 Audio: SB Audigy PSU: Unknown[/quote] So, the score looks good. The data looks pretty good. Temps | Voltage | Usage when running the benchmark. Image is misleading, the GPU hit the 1809MHz 1 time for ~3 seconds, the rest of the time low 1700 or upper 1600MHz So card looks to be performing well. ======================= You may want to consider updating the BIOS. - This appears to be the [url=https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#support-dl]ver. 4.0[/url] or [url=https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-41#support-dl]ver. 4.1[/url] - This would make the BIOS version being used incorrect because the [color="orange"]FX-9590 is not supported until F3[/color] ======================= Nothing mysterious stands out in the Background tasks. Something to try would be remove the SB audio from the system. Did you install the New Firefox? Was it running during the crash? If none of that changes the results, this could be linked to the Windows 1709 FCU update and you made need to go back to a previous Version. - Which would suck since it appears you Reinstall using the 1709 Version. So you would have to locate the older version to use. ======================= Here are some Power option settings I would suggest as well: [win]+[x] > Power Option > Change what Power Button does(left) >Change setting ... unavailable [.]Uncheck Turn on Fast Startup[/.] [.]Uncheck Sleep[/.] [.]Uncheck Hibernate[/.] [.]Save Changes[/.] [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance > Change Power Setting [.]HardDisk -Turn off Hard disk : NEVER[/.] [.]Sleep -Hibernate : NEVER[/.] [.][color="orange"]PCI Express[/color] - Link : off [color="orange"]<-----PCIe Link Speed[/color][/.] [.]Apply[/.] NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance .

CPU: AMD FX-9590
    RAM: 2x4GB A-Data Technology DDR3 2133 2OZ @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (BIOS F2)
    Monitor: ZOWIE RL LCD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    HDD: 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    Optical: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
    Audio: SB Audigy
    PSU: Unknown

So, the score looks good.

The data looks pretty good. Temps | Voltage | Usage when running the benchmark.

Image is misleading, the GPU hit the 1809MHz 1 time for ~3 seconds, the rest of the time low 1700 or upper 1600MHz

So card looks to be performing well.

=======================

You may want to consider updating the BIOS.

- This appears to be the ver. 4.0 or ver. 4.1
    - This would make the BIOS version being used incorrect because the FX-9590 is not supported until F3

=======================

Nothing mysterious stands out in the Background tasks.

Something to try would be remove the SB audio from the system.

Did you install the New Firefox? Was it running during the crash?

If none of that changes the results, this could be linked to the Windows 1709 FCU update and you made need to go back to a previous Version.

- Which would suck since it appears you Reinstall using the 1709 Version. So you would have to locate the older version to use.

=======================

Here are some Power option settings I would suggest as well:

[win]+[x] > Power Option > Change what Power Button does(left) >Change setting ... unavailable
  • Uncheck Turn on Fast Startup
  • Uncheck Sleep
  • Uncheck Hibernate
  • Save Changes

• [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance

[win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance > Change Power Setting
  • HardDisk -Turn off Hard disk : NEVER
  • Sleep -Hibernate : NEVER
  • PCI Express - Link : off <-----PCIe Link Speed
  • Apply

• NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance

Posted 12/09/2017 01:30 AM   
    [quote="Greybear"]. [quote]OS: Win 10 Home 64-bit CPU: MD FX-9590 RAM: 2x4GB A-Data Technology DDR3 2133 2OZ @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28) Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (BIOS F2) Monitor: ZOWIE RL LCD (1920x1080@60Hz) GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB HDD: 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 Optical: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 Audio: SB Audigy PSU: Unknown[/quote] So, the score looks good. The data looks pretty good. Temps | Voltage | Usage when running the benchmark. Image is misleading, the GPU hit the 1809MHz 1 time for ~3 seconds, the rest of the time low 1700 or upper 1600MHz So card looks to be performing well. ======================= You may want to consider updating the BIOS. - This appears to be the [url=https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#support-dl]ver. 4.0[/url] or [url=https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-41#support-dl]ver. 4.1[/url] - This would make the BIOS version being used incorrect because the [color="orange"]FX-9590 is not supported until F3[/color] ======================= Nothing mysterious stands out in the Background tasks. Something to try would be remove the SB audio from the system. Did you install the New Firefox? Was it running during the crash? If none of that changes the results, this could be linked to the Windows 1709 FCU update and you made need to go back to a previous Version. - Which would suck since it appears you Reinstall using the 1709 Version. So you would have to locate the older version to use. ======================= Here are some Power option settings I would suggest as well: [win]+[x] > Power Option > Change what Power Button does(left) >Change setting ... unavailable [.]Uncheck Turn on Fast Startup[/.] [.]Uncheck Sleep[/.] [.]Uncheck Hibernate[/.] [.]Save Changes[/.] [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance > Change Power Setting [.]HardDisk -Turn off Hard disk : NEVER[/.] [.]Sleep -Hibernate : NEVER[/.] [.][color="orange"]PCI Express[/color] - Link : off [color="orange"]<-----PCIe Link Speed[/color][/.] [.]Apply[/.] NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance .[/quote] Thanks for the suggestions Greybear. I updated the BIOS to F3 but same result sadly. Froze about 5-10 mins into Prey. To see if it was just that game I also tried orcs must die 2. Hard froze about 10 mins in as well. Same result with changing the settings below. In regards to the windows update, that could be possible but this has been an intermittent issue ever since I got the PC so not sure if its related or not. Anything else I could potentially try?
    Greybear said:.

CPU: MD FX-9590
    RAM: 2x4GB A-Data Technology DDR3 2133 2OZ @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (BIOS F2)
    Monitor: ZOWIE RL LCD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    HDD: 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    Optical: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
    Audio: SB Audigy
    PSU: Unknown

So, the score looks good.

The data looks pretty good. Temps | Voltage | Usage when running the benchmark.

Image is misleading, the GPU hit the 1809MHz 1 time for ~3 seconds, the rest of the time low 1700 or upper 1600MHz

So card looks to be performing well.

=======================

You may want to consider updating the BIOS.

- This appears to be the ver. 4.0 or ver. 4.1
    - This would make the BIOS version being used incorrect because the FX-9590 is not supported until F3

=======================

Nothing mysterious stands out in the Background tasks.

Something to try would be remove the SB audio from the system.

Did you install the New Firefox? Was it running during the crash?

If none of that changes the results, this could be linked to the Windows 1709 FCU update and you made need to go back to a previous Version.

- Which would suck since it appears you Reinstall using the 1709 Version. So you would have to locate the older version to use.

=======================

Here are some Power option settings I would suggest as well:

[win]+[x] > Power Option > Change what Power Button does(left) >Change setting ... unavailable
  • Uncheck Turn on Fast Startup
  • Uncheck Sleep
  • Uncheck Hibernate
  • Save Changes

• [win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance

[win]+[x] > Power Option > High Performance > Change Power Setting
  • HardDisk -Turn off Hard disk : NEVER
  • Sleep -Hibernate : NEVER
  • PCI Express - Link : off <-----PCIe Link Speed
  • Apply

• NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance

Thanks for the suggestions Greybear. I updated the BIOS to F3 but same result sadly. Froze about 5-10 mins into Prey. To see if it was just that game I also tried orcs must die 2. Hard froze about 10 mins in as well. Same result with changing the settings below.

In regards to the windows update, that could be possible but this has been an intermittent issue ever since I got the PC so not sure if its related or not.

Anything else I could potentially try?

Posted 12/10/2017 02:54 PM   
    . [quote]...that could be possible but this has been an intermittent issue ever since I got the PC so not sure if its related or not.[/quote] :( How long have you had the computer? === Enter the BIOS and check a Setting for me please..... Bios Features > OS type First, what is it set at? [Other OS] Next, what options when you open it up? [Windows 8.1] ==== Do you have a spare HDD? ==== Pull the Soundblaster card. If it is just Software using a Realtek card, Uninstall the Software. .

...that could be possible but this has been an intermittent issue ever since I got the PC so not sure if its related or not.
    :(

How long have you had the computer?

===

Enter the BIOS and check a Setting for me please.....

Bios Features > OS type

First, what is it set at? [Other OS]
    Next, what options when you open it up? [Windows 8.1]

====

Do you have a spare HDD?

====

Pull the Soundblaster card. If it is just Software using a Realtek card, Uninstall the Software.

Posted 12/10/2017 07:29 PM   
    Scroll To Top