DP suddenly stopped working ?
[size="M"]After a [color="green"]year of faultless operation[/color] one of my 3 monitors went black yesterday with the error ‘signal not supported’ on the screen. I did a bunch of research on the net and found out it could be a bunch of different things… and a lot of people experience it.. some can solve the problem some cant…[/size] Im using a 980ti and 3 Asus monitors. [color="gray"]I tried 3 different DP cords.. then tried using HDMI and DVI instead of DP and the monitor worked in both instances… the only issue is there is only one HDMI and one DVI so I need to use one of the 3 remaining DPs.. I tried all 3 ports and have the issue with all of them. Just to check things I unplugged the HDMI and used 2 monitors with DP.. and both didn’t work.. Ive also tried only using one monitor at a time.. still same issue.[/color] I read that the issue could be caused by the resolution set for the monitor and I ORIGINALLY traced the problem down to the following… (butonly temporarily fixed the issue) [color="orange"]If[/color] I use the (native resolution) for the monitor.. i.e 1080p and have the monitor plugged in via one of the DP’s I get signal not supported.. This is odd because it has always worked in the past… [color="orange"]If[/color] I switch to an alternate res… eg. 1080i .. or any other res other than 1080p the monitor started working ? the issue is that everything was noticeably blurry ?? - [color="orange"]THEN[/color] a week later the monitor went black again ? now I couldn’t get it working by changing to any res.. 1080i or not.. - [color="orange"]THEN[/color] TODAY ! the monitor suddenly started working again… but now there are noticeable green dots flickering on the monitor ?? I tried the other monitor.. same green dots… then after 30 mins the monitor went black again ! [color="green"]* I reinstalled drivers (clean) several times with no solution… * I tried changing power plan to performance (which helped some users with similar issue but not me) * As said above, I used multiple DP cables… which ive had zero issues with until this issue appeared..[/color] [color="orange"]- SO.. why the hell would this suddenly happen after a year of faultless opperation? - and why does it only affect the signal when plugged in via DP ? - and why would it suddenly work after changing res from 1080p to something else… WORK FOR A WEEK… then stop again ?? - and whats with the green dots suddenly appearing out of nowhere ?[/color] Ive read that nvidia doesn’t officially recognize this as an issue despite tonnes of people reporting it… If it matters at all.. using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates… Any help appreciated… immensely annoying
After a year of faultless operation
one of my 3 monitors went black yesterday with the error ‘signal not supported’ on the screen. I did a bunch of research on the net and found out it could be a bunch of different things… and a lot of people experience it.. some can solve the problem some cant…

Im using a 980ti and 3 Asus monitors.
I tried 3 different DP cords.. then tried using HDMI and DVI instead of DP and the monitor worked in both instances… the only issue is there is only one HDMI and one DVI so I need to use one of the 3 remaining DPs.. I tried all 3 ports and have the issue with all of them. Just to check things I unplugged the HDMI and used 2 monitors with DP.. and both didn’t work.. Ive also tried only using one monitor at a time.. still same issue.

I read that the issue could be caused by the resolution set for the monitor and I ORIGINALLY traced the problem down to the following… (butonly temporarily fixed the issue)

If
I use the (native resolution) for the monitor.. i.e 1080p and have the monitor plugged in via one of the DP’s I get signal not supported..
This is odd because it has always worked in the past…

If I switch to an alternate res… eg. 1080i .. or any other res other than 1080p the monitor started working ? the issue is that everything was noticeably blurry ??
- THEN
a week later the monitor went black again ? now I couldn’t get it working by changing to any res.. 1080i or not..
- THEN TODAY ! the monitor suddenly started working again… but now there are noticeable green dots flickering on the monitor ?? I tried the other monitor.. same green dots… then after 30 mins the monitor went black again !

* I reinstalled drivers (clean) several times with no solution…
* I tried changing power plan to performance (which helped some users with similar issue but not me)
* As said above, I used multiple DP cables… which ive had zero issues with until this issue appeared..

- SO.. why the hell would this suddenly happen after a year of faultless opperation?
- and why does it only affect the signal when plugged in via DP ?
- and why would it suddenly work after changing res from 1080p to something else… WORK FOR A WEEK… then stop again ??
- and whats with the green dots suddenly appearing out of nowhere ?

Ive read that nvidia doesn’t officially recognize this as an issue despite tonnes of people reporting it…

If it matters at all.. using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates…

Any help appreciated… immensely annoying

Posted 12/03/2017 10:30 PM   
failing graphics card.
failing graphics card.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/04/2017 01:04 AM   
[quote="Sora"]failing graphics card.[/quote] I don't think so, because I have a similar experience. The problems started when I connected a new DP monitor (2K, Gsync) to the gtx970 for the first time. I've been using two screens with HDMI+DVI before and everything worked fine. Now my pc crashes & reboots or just freezes every few hours. Today it was freezing just moments after win login or during boot most of the time. I've already removed and installed drivers several times since using DP. I've even updated the Firmware of the gtx970. I'm glad that I was already planning to replace the whole system.
Sora said:failing graphics card.

I don't think so, because I have a similar experience. The problems started when I connected a new DP monitor (2K, Gsync) to the gtx970 for the first time. I've been using two screens with HDMI+DVI before and everything worked fine. Now my pc crashes & reboots or just freezes every few hours. Today it was freezing just moments after win login or during boot most of the time.

I've already removed and installed drivers several times since using DP. I've even updated the Firmware of the gtx970. I'm glad that I was already planning to replace the whole system.

Posted 12/04/2017 02:13 PM   
did you even bother reading the op? your issue is freezing, his isn't.
did you even bother reading the op?

your issue is freezing, his isn't.

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP

Posted 12/04/2017 05:33 PM   
[quote="Sora"]did you even bother reading the op? your issue is freezing, his isn't.[/quote] Oh, I had black screens,too, after using display port for the first time. But I changed something I don't remember (driver or gtx firmware update I guess) and then the "real fun" began. If his card is failing (as in "suddenly faulty hardware") by using DP, then mine and those of several others on this forums has to be, too.
Sora said:did you even bother reading the op?

your issue is freezing, his isn't.

Oh, I had black screens,too, after using display port for the first time. But I changed something I don't remember (driver or gtx firmware update I guess) and then the "real fun" began.

If his card is failing (as in "suddenly faulty hardware") by using DP, then mine and those of several others on this forums has to be, too.

Posted 12/04/2017 07:35 PM   
[quote="Xlipax"] - and whats with the green dots suddenly appearing out of nowhere ? [/quote] this is why its failing.
Xlipax said:
- and whats with the green dots suddenly appearing out of nowhere ?

this is why its failing.

Specs:

WIP:

Posted 12/05/2017 12:56 AM   
Scroll To Top