GTX780 not working on Win10 / Asrock Taichi x399 / Threadripper
  1 / 2    
I have a 3 years old gtx780sc and there is no way to make it work on my new setup which is: Threadripper 1950, Asrock Taichi x399, Noctua 14s, Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066, Asus Strix 1080Ti, EVGA 780 SC, Corsair Hx1200, Samsung 960 pro 512, Samsung evo 1gb, Barracuda 3gb, win10 64, bios 2.0 Ive tested the card on another system also running win 10 and it works perfectly on its own. in the threadripper it does not work in any pcie slot, whereas the 1080 works in each one. ive never tried the 1080 along the 780 on that old system tho. the problem is probably the driver, i think it does not install correctly for the gtx780. it gives me code 43 in the device manager as soon as a driver is installed for it. as a generic display adapter it shows no error triangle.
I have a 3 years old gtx780sc and there is no way to make it work on my new setup which is:

Threadripper 1950,
Asrock Taichi x399,
Noctua 14s,
Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066,
Asus Strix 1080Ti,
EVGA 780 SC,
Corsair Hx1200,
Samsung 960 pro 512,
Samsung evo 1gb,
Barracuda 3gb,
win10 64,
bios 2.0

Ive tested the card on another system also running win 10 and it works perfectly on its own.
in the threadripper it does not work in any pcie slot, whereas the 1080 works in each one.
ive never tried the 1080 along the 780 on that old system tho.
the problem is probably the driver, i think it does not install correctly for the gtx780. it gives me code 43 in the device manager as soon as a driver is installed for it. as a generic display adapter it shows no error triangle.

Posted 12/02/2017 12:21 PM   
. Several things about this..... First, it should work simply on the first try. So, Somethings is wrong with the Setup...... But, in the last 2 years several people have lost their 700 series cards after updating the drivers. when you say it still works in the old system, you are meaning you put it back in the system and used it again after having it in the NEw system? I just want to be clear on that. Error 43 means that the hardware is not installed and generally damaged. Shows up either During or after a driver update. During a Driver install, the Generic portion is kicked into high gear onto the 3D chip. So, the POWER SUPPLY is the next link in the chain. The GTX 1080 pulls LESS power than the GTX 780 After that, I would be looking at the BIOS version of the motherboard. Hardware compatibility starts there. General Rule of thumb though is that if it can run the 1Ks it can run the 700s. But the 2.0 is the LATEST version. Did you Clear the CMOS after the update? Did you clear it before the First boot? I always suggest that before ever booting a new board or after a Bios update to Clear the CMOS with either the CLR CMOS button | Jumper or by removing all power for 30 seconds. Remember to Load Optimized Defaults, set the Date and Time after. There is a problem with the Windows 1709 Update(FCU), so you may want to try the previous version. Appears the Manual either really sucks or this Board is not that Great about allowing for good control of the resources. What I was looking for in the Manual, that you might be able to find: PCIe Link Speed: [Gen3] Try these drivers and steps: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5): [.]Install DDU[/.] Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows. [.]you will end up in Safe mode[/.] Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE Run DDU: [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean and Restart[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]382.33[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.] .

Several things about this.....

First, it should work simply on the first try. So, Somethings is wrong with the Setup......

But, in the last 2 years several people have lost their 700 series cards after updating the drivers.

when you say it still works in the old system, you are meaning you put it back in the system and used it again after having it in the NEw system? I just want to be clear on that.

Error 43 means that the hardware is not installed and generally damaged. Shows up either During or after a driver update.

During a Driver install, the Generic portion is kicked into high gear onto the 3D chip. So, the POWER SUPPLY is the next link in the chain.

The GTX 1080 pulls LESS power than the GTX 780

After that, I would be looking at the BIOS version of the motherboard. Hardware compatibility starts there. General Rule of thumb though is that if it can run the 1Ks it can run the 700s. But the 2.0 is the LATEST version.

Did you Clear the CMOS after the update? Did you clear it before the First boot?

I always suggest that before ever booting a new board or after a Bios update to Clear the CMOS with either the CLR CMOS button | Jumper or by removing all power for 30 seconds.

Remember to Load Optimized Defaults, set the Date and Time after.

There is a problem with the Windows 1709 Update(FCU), so you may want to try the previous version.

Appears the Manual either really sucks or this Board is not that Great about allowing for good control of the resources.

What I was looking for in the Manual, that you might be able to find:
PCIe Link Speed: [Gen3]

Try these drivers and steps:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5):
  • Install DDU

• Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows.
  • you will end up in Safe mode
  • Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE

Run DDU:
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean and Restart

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 382.33 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Uncheck EVERYTHING excpet the GPU Driver and PHYSX
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/02/2017 02:31 PM   
    Kepler and Threadripper do not get along, its something to do with the bios and nvidia driver not getting along.
    Kepler and Threadripper do not get along, its something to do with the bios and nvidia driver not getting along.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
    Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
    SDD:Pending
    HDD:Pending
    Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/02/2017 02:52 PM   
    . [quote="Sora"]Kepler and Threadripper do not get along, its something to do with the bios and nvidia driver not getting along.[/quote] That sucks. .

Sora said:Kepler and Threadripper do not get along, its something to do with the bios and nvidia driver not getting along.
    That sucks.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 12/02/2017 02:59 PM   
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1024725/linux/kepler-titans-throw-rminitadapter-failed-using-threadripper-and-are-unusable/ Try dropping the PCI-E Controller to Gen 2.0 https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=292419.0

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
    Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
    SDD:Pending
    HDD:Pending
    Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/02/2017 06:54 PM   
    . [quote="Sora"]Try dropping the PCI-E Controller to Gen 2.0[/quote] MAybe. I looked through the Manual earlier and did not see the option. I am curious about the [Gen3] since that has helped on older boards where [AUTO] would cause issue. This is the [url=http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X399%20Taichi.pdf]Manual[/url] - it sucks. In the Thread I see them using terms like: Promontory PCIe Bridge IOMMU (this is in the Manual under the North Bridge) The Manual also mentions these in the BIOS, look at: Promontory PCIe Switch PCIex16 Switch PCIe ARI Support .

Sora said:Try dropping the PCI-E Controller to Gen 2.0
    MAybe. I looked through the Manual earlier and did not see the option.

I am curious about the [Gen3] since that has helped on older boards where [AUTO] would cause issue.

This is the Manual - it sucks.

In the Thread I see them using terms like:
    Promontory PCIe Bridge
    IOMMU (this is in the Manual under the North Bridge)

The Manual also mentions these in the BIOS, look at:
    Promontory PCIe Switch
    PCIex16 Switch
    PCIe ARI Support

Posted 12/02/2017 07:50 PM   
    Yeah, i meant that when i put it back in the previous system it works perfectly. I had cleaned the card before installing it in the threadripper so i was fearing i had broken something and tested it right away. Yes, i cleared the CMOS multiple times over the last two weeks (which is the period over which ive been pulling my hair out over this issue). I do not have anything similar to Gen3 link speed, max is PCI-E to Gen1 or 2, which forces me to CMOS reset as the mobo stops and the debug led gives error 94 (problem related to pcie devices)... I did try DDU and installing a lot of drivers back to 344.75 but to no avail...
    Yeah, i meant that when i put it back in the previous system it works perfectly. I had cleaned the card before installing it in the threadripper so i was fearing i had broken something and tested it right away.
    Yes, i cleared the CMOS multiple times over the last two weeks (which is the period over which ive been pulling my hair out over this issue).
    I do not have anything similar to Gen3 link speed, max is PCI-E to Gen1 or 2, which forces me to CMOS reset as the mobo stops and the debug led gives error 94 (problem related to pcie devices)...
    I did try DDU and installing a lot of drivers back to 344.75 but to no avail...

Posted 12/02/2017 07:58 PM   
    . Do not try RANDOM drivers. 382.33 375.70 359.06 if those do not work STOP. As I said above, several people have lost their 700 series cards updating, just cause you are going in reverse does not make it any less dangerous. Take a look at those other settings I mentioned. .

Do not try RANDOM drivers.

359.06 if those do not work STOP.

As I said above, several people have lost their 700 series cards updating, just cause you are going in reverse does not make it any less dangerous.

Take a look at those other settings I mentioned.

Posted 12/02/2017 08:11 PM   
    Hi, ill download the drivers you mentioned and try them in the next 15mins I've played around with the settings you mentioned to no avail, although ARI and Promontory PCIe Switch do not force a CMOS reset. only the PCIeex16 does
    Hi, ill download the drivers you mentioned and try them in the next 15mins
    I've played around with the settings you mentioned to no avail, although ARI and Promontory PCIe Switch do not force a CMOS reset. only the PCIeex16 does

Posted 12/02/2017 08:18 PM   
    . What options were in the IOMMU, just curious. And are you trying the 780 as a Single first? Im curious on the M.2 as well. Are you using one or is that an SSD above. If it is an M.2, pull it and see if that changes the BIOS | Driver results. You can do a Reinstall of the OS on one of the other drives, just do not Authenticate. .

What options were in the IOMMU, just curious.

And are you trying the 780 as a Single first?

Im curious on the M.2 as well. Are you using one or is that an SSD above.

If it is an M.2, pull it and see if that changes the BIOS | Driver results. You can do a Reinstall of the OS on one of the other drives, just do not Authenticate.

Posted 12/02/2017 08:30 PM   
    IOMMU Options: Auto, Enabled, Disabled
    IOMMU Options: Auto, Enabled, Disabled

Posted 12/02/2017 08:31 PM   
    . [quote="raffaele.delauretis"]IOMMU Options: Auto, Enabled, Disabled[/quote] Well that sucks :) Added a few more thoughts in my previous post as well. .

raffaele.delauretis said:IOMMU Options: Auto, Enabled, Disabled
    Well that sucks :)

Added a few more thoughts in my previous post as well.

Posted 12/02/2017 09:13 PM   
    yes i did try the 780 alone at a certain point, in every pcie slot as soon as windows installs drivers, the screen goes black, and upon rebooting it freezes at the loading dots wheel. I do have a M2, but its not even configured into windows atm. im using another ssd which isnt nvme and the nvme and normal HD are not partitioned yet
    yes i did try the 780 alone at a certain point, in every pcie slot
    as soon as windows installs drivers, the screen goes black, and upon rebooting it freezes at the loading dots wheel. I do have a M2, but its not even configured into windows atm. im using another ssd which isnt nvme and the nvme and normal HD are not partitioned yet

Posted 12/03/2017 09:24 AM   
    so i just did the following: DDU removed all drivers, shut down removed both gpu CMOS reset rebooted and waited it would land on the windows login shut down reinstalled 1080 booted installed the 382 driver you mentioned (only one 1080 compatible) rebooted shut down plugged the 780 booted it has now landed on the loginscreen and upon logging in it has frozen. screen is plugged through the 1080
    so i just did the following:
    DDU removed all drivers,
    shut down
    removed both gpu
    CMOS reset
    rebooted and waited it would land on the windows login
    shut down
    reinstalled 1080
    booted
    installed the 382 driver you mentioned (only one 1080 compatible)
    rebooted
    shut down
    plugged the 780
    booted
    it has now landed on the loginscreen and upon logging in it has frozen. screen is plugged through the 1080

Posted 12/03/2017 11:26 AM   
    . Configured M.2 makes no difference. It is using the PCIe and is assigned an IRQ via the BIOS, pull it. Repeat the Driver removal. This time Only use the 780. Leave the 1080 out of the system. Does it land on Windows and allow for the driver install? Does it land on Windows after the Driver install and Freeze? Is the M.2 still connected? :) .

Configured M.2 makes no difference. It is using the PCIe and is assigned an IRQ via the BIOS, pull it.

Repeat the Driver removal. This time Only use the 780. Leave the 1080 out of the system.

Does it land on Windows and allow for the driver install?
    Does it land on Windows after the Driver install and Freeze?

Is the M.2 still connected? :)

Posted 12/03/2017 03:23 PM   
      1 / 2    
    Scroll To Top