GTX780 not working on Win10 / Asrock Taichi x399 / Threadripper
  2 / 2    
Hi I had removed the M2 also before my previous test i have now repeated the procedure again (i had done it already a week ago) and it has given me the expected result everything fine until windows installs the driver. i went back to the previous restore point, blocked autoinstaller and installed driver 359 same thing happened, screen went black and hasta la vista i dont think there is much to do left at this point who can i sue? this pisses me off greatly. i dont know if i wouldve gone threadripper if i knew i could not use my 2nd gpu.
Hi
I had removed the M2 also before my previous test
i have now repeated the procedure again (i had done it already a week ago) and it has given me the expected result
everything fine until windows installs the driver.
i went back to the previous restore point, blocked autoinstaller and installed driver 359
same thing happened, screen went black and hasta la vista
i dont think there is much to do left at this point
who can i sue? this pisses me off greatly. i dont know if i wouldve gone threadripper if i knew i could not use my 2nd gpu.

Posted 12/04/2017 11:03 AM   
. I would think it would be hard to sue anyone on this. The card works, but not on the New system that did not exist when the card was sold. The system works, but not using a card that appears to have an issue. I would think this is something to do with a design flaw created by NVIDIA that is somehow linked to the death of these cards that can randomly happen during a Driver update. Got something to try again...Make sure all the previous changes are zeroed again, In the BIOS: Launch Video OpROM Policy: [Legacy] Save and Exit. Test it. Then try the previous changes with it. .

I would think it would be hard to sue anyone on this.

The card works, but not on the New system that did not exist when the card was sold.
The system works, but not using a card that appears to have an issue.

I would think this is something to do with a design flaw created by NVIDIA that is somehow linked to the death of these cards that can randomly happen during a Driver update.

Got something to try again...Make sure all the previous changes are zeroed again,

In the BIOS:
Launch Video OpROM Policy: [Legacy]
Save and Exit.

Test it.

Then try the previous changes with it.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 12/04/2017 01:46 PM   
i don't think anything boot related is going to help here, the 780 is just not playing nice with the threadripper gen3 controller.
i don't think anything boot related is going to help here, the 780 is just not playing nice with the threadripper gen3 controller.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/05/2017 01:19 AM   
hi grey beard and sora i have tried the OpRom feature, which was already set by default on "Legacy" no luck, also in various combinations with the previously mentioned bios settings (Pcie16, promontory) just: meh
hi grey beard and sora
i have tried the OpRom feature, which was already set by default on "Legacy"
no luck, also in various combinations with the previously mentioned bios settings (Pcie16, promontory)
just: meh

Posted 12/05/2017 07:09 AM   
probably ill then just put the 780 back in the old system and leave it there, its a i7 920 ocd to 3.8 and 12gb of ram... still fully respectable 8 years later! with a 780 i can use it as backup machine or whatever. I guess ill get a second gpu for the threadripper... suggestions on the best bang for buck considered i already have a strix 1080ti? for blender/cuda rendering mostly
probably ill then just put the 780 back in the old system and leave it there, its a i7 920 ocd to 3.8 and 12gb of ram... still fully respectable 8 years later! with a 780 i can use it as backup machine or whatever.
I guess ill get a second gpu for the threadripper... suggestions on the best bang for buck considered i already have a strix 1080ti? for blender/cuda rendering mostly

Posted 12/05/2017 11:42 AM   
probably ill then just put the 780 back in the old system and leave it there, its a i7 920 ocd to 3.8 and 12gb of ram... still fully respectable 8 years later! with a 780 i can use it as backup machine or whatever. I guess ill get a second gpu for the threadripper... suggestions on the best bang for buck considered i already have a strix 1080ti? for blender/cuda rendering mostly
probably ill then just put the 780 back in the old system and leave it there, its a i7 920 ocd to 3.8 and 12gb of ram... still fully respectable 8 years later! with a 780 i can use it as backup machine or whatever.
I guess ill get a second gpu for the threadripper... suggestions on the best bang for buck considered i already have a strix 1080ti? for blender/cuda rendering mostly

Posted 12/05/2017 12:02 PM   
, The GTX 1060 is just slightly ahead of the GTX 780 in Relative performance. Since you are replacing that card, then that is all I would beat. 3G: $195 and up 6G: $260 and up 8G: $888 1070 8G: $440 and up. 1070 ti: $450 and up. Something odd about this card. The bad thing is I believe you do not get the same Cuda cores as the 780 until you get the 1070ti or higher. [img]https://international.download.nvidia.com/webassets/en_US/shared/images/products/shared/lineup.png[/img] .

The GTX 1060 is just slightly ahead of the GTX 780 in Relative performance. Since you are replacing that card, then that is all I would beat.

3G: $195 and up
6G: $260 and up
8G: $888

1070 8G: $440 and up.

1070 ti: $450 and up. Something odd about this card.

The bad thing is I believe you do not get the same Cuda cores as the 780 until you get the 1070ti or higher.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 12/05/2017 01:45 PM   
what would be the best bang for buck in your opinion? i tried to find a source but its all very dispersive. i dont necessarily need the power of the 780, going up would be better, but not necessary. atm the 1070, on these charts at least, looks like good value. probably not really the type of benchmark i should be looking at since im not using it for gaming tho
what would be the best bang for buck in your opinion? i tried to find a source but its all very dispersive. i dont necessarily need the power of the 780, going up would be better, but not necessary. atm the 1070, on these charts at least, looks like good value. probably not really the type of benchmark i should be looking at since im not using it for gaming tho

Posted 12/05/2017 05:22 PM   
. For what your are using it for, the 1060 should perform UNDER the 780. The 1070 will beat the 780 The 1070ti for that price will beat it even more. 1060: Single Precision: 3855.3 Double Precision: 120.4 780: Single Precision: 3976.7 Double Precision: 165.7 1070 Single Precision: 5783.0 Double Precision: 180.7 1070ti: Single Precision: 7816.4 Double Precision: 244.2 .

For what your are using it for, the 1060 should perform UNDER the 780.

The 1070 will beat the 780
The 1070ti for that price will beat it even more.

1060:
Single Precision: 3855.3
Double Precision: 120.4

780:
Single Precision: 3976.7
Double Precision: 165.7

Single Precision: 5783.0
Double Precision: 180.7

1070ti:
Single Precision: 7816.4
Double Precision: 244.2

Posted 12/06/2017 03:32 AM   
  2 / 2    
Scroll To Top