Stop windows from resizing using HDMI on 4K TV
I got a 40" 4K TV that I am using as a monitor via HDMI. It basically works great, except that whenever the monitor turns off or goes to sleep, all my windows resize to a tiny section of top-left corner. This is a common problem, with people asking about it all over the internet, but I haven't found any solutions that actually work for a GeForce GTX 970 (on Windows 7, 100% scaling). From what I've seen, one solution is to create an EDID profile as a txt file with the correct resolution, and have the video driver use that instead of trying to get it from the TV. Some Nvidia cards support that feature, the GTX 970 does not. I thought by now it would, or that there would be a work-around to emulate this feature, but I couldn't find it. I've also seen solutions that involve deleting and creating registry keys, but the keys I'm supposed to see according to the instructions aren't in my machine, and I have lots of keys they don't mention. I'd certainly be willing to go this route if the instructions were clear. I don't know if it's relevant, but I also have a 1080p graphics tablet/monitor connected via a DP->HDMI 2.0 converter. I've not turned that monitor on for a while, and this resizing behavior happens the same regardless of whether that monitor is connected. When I had a 1440p monitor connected via DP this behavior did not happen. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I got a 40" 4K TV that I am using as a monitor via HDMI. It basically works great, except that whenever the monitor turns off or goes to sleep, all my windows resize to a tiny section of top-left corner. This is a common problem, with people asking about it all over the internet, but I haven't found any solutions that actually work for a GeForce GTX 970 (on Windows 7, 100% scaling).

From what I've seen, one solution is to create an EDID profile as a txt file with the correct resolution, and have the video driver use that instead of trying to get it from the TV. Some Nvidia cards support that feature, the GTX 970 does not. I thought by now it would, or that there would be a work-around to emulate this feature, but I couldn't find it.

I've also seen solutions that involve deleting and creating registry keys, but the keys I'm supposed to see according to the instructions aren't in my machine, and I have lots of keys they don't mention. I'd certainly be willing to go this route if the instructions were clear.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I also have a 1080p graphics tablet/monitor connected via a DP->HDMI 2.0 converter. I've not turned that monitor on for a while, and this resizing behavior happens the same regardless of whether that monitor is connected. When I had a 1440p monitor connected via DP this behavior did not happen.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted 11/26/2017 11:58 AM   
is this tv connected through a hdmi receiver?
is this tv connected through a hdmi receiver?

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 11/26/2017 03:23 PM   
No, the TV is connected directly to the GTX970 via HDMI (as the primary monitor). Nothing else connects to the TV/monitor (and I'm not using the audio).
No, the TV is connected directly to the GTX970 via HDMI (as the primary monitor). Nothing else connects to the TV/monitor (and I'm not using the audio).

Posted 11/27/2017 02:13 AM   
So that's it? Three days and no solutions for a common and straightforward problem? Does NVidia really care about its customers and reputation so little? NVidia already has a solution available for some of its video cards, I'm just looking for how to implement EDID export/import on a different card. Is this really so difficult?
So that's it? Three days and no solutions for a common and straightforward problem? Does NVidia really care about its customers and reputation so little? NVidia already has a solution available for some of its video cards, I'm just looking for how to implement EDID export/import on a different card. Is this really so difficult?

Posted 11/30/2017 02:38 AM   
For example, this document from the Microsoft Hardware Dev page seems like it contains the relevant information to create a custom EDID for any monitor: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids But it's not really instructions for a novice to complete the task, but rather details for somebody who basically understands these topics. I'm the former more than the latter, but there should be people here who understand that document and can post a novice-friendly user-guide to setting this up. Or better, NVidia could make and provide a utility that does this under the covers.
For example, this document from the Microsoft Hardware Dev page seems like it contains the relevant information to create a custom EDID for any monitor:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/overriding-monitor-edids

But it's not really instructions for a novice to complete the task, but rather details for somebody who basically understands these topics. I'm the former more than the latter, but there should be people here who understand that document and can post a novice-friendly user-guide to setting this up. Or better, NVidia could make and provide a utility that does this under the covers.

Posted 11/30/2017 02:45 AM   
This is a user to user forum. if you want dedicated contact with nvidia, open a support ticket on custhelp.nvidia.com.
This is a user to user forum.

if you want dedicated contact with nvidia, open a support ticket on custhelp.nvidia.com.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 11/30/2017 03:32 PM   
Yes, I realize this is a user-to-user forum. I'm pursuing the NVidia support route, but I fully expect them to be unresponsive and provide no assistance. After all, this problem has been known for years and there is no official or built-in solution so far. I also expect that some computer-savvy customers have run into this problem, created a fix, and would be able to share it. Especially considering the EDID info I found, I find this much more likely than NVidia actually providing support.
Yes, I realize this is a user-to-user forum. I'm pursuing the NVidia support route, but I fully expect them to be unresponsive and provide no assistance. After all, this problem has been known for years and there is no official or built-in solution so far.

I also expect that some computer-savvy customers have run into this problem, created a fix, and would be able to share it. Especially considering the EDID info I found, I find this much more likely than NVidia actually providing support.

Posted 12/01/2017 02:36 AM   
Scroll To Top