GTX 690 Game Crashes | Help Needed!!
  1 / 2    
I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of crash happening. My graphics card is not overclocked and no cores are parked. Is it possible I might have to just buy a new graphics card? Also, what spec info will you need in order to help? I'll provide as much information as necessary.
I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of crash happening.

My graphics card is not overclocked and no cores are parked. Is it possible I might have to just buy a new graphics card?

Also, what spec info will you need in order to help? I'll provide as much information as necessary.

Posted 11/25/2017 04:08 PM   
what about your PSU, what brand and how old already?
what about your PSU, what brand and how old already?

CPU:Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz/Coolermaster Hyper 103
MOBO:Asus H81M-K
RAM:8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Gainward Golden Sample 2GB Edition @ 388.13
PSU:Coolermaster MasterWatt Lite 600W

Posted 11/26/2017 10:42 AM   
[quote="anayray18"]I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first, I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of a crash happening. [/quote] [b]Hello, I am a fellow GTX 690 user[/b] [u][b]TLDR; Its a driver based issue, it happens only in fullscreen mode, I need multiple 690 users to confirm this so we can bring it to Nvidia's attention otherwise we will all be forced to upgrade because all of the drivers supported on the NEWEST release of Windows 10 have this issue. So our only solutions are to revert to 1703 so we can revert drivers back to when they worked or be forced to live with this. [/b][/u] I believe this to be an issue with the current (And a few previous) nvidia driver, dating back to the drivers released for 1709 windows release. Specific to our card type of issues. Some games run in fullscreen mode will cause the driver to crash and not be able to recover. You may be able to hear system sound in game still too correct? In my case my game freezes, and then my mouse input follows shortly after. This happens to me when running games like fallout 4, Overwatch [b](BUT ONLY IN FULLSCREEN MODE)[/b] and apparently in your case borderlands. Please run borderlands in windowed mode confirm that it is indeed fullscreen that is causing the driver to crash and not recover and please post back results. (change ini files if it crashes too quickly to change that stuff) I Hypothesis that because our gtx690 is an old card some of the code has been gutted from the driver that it needs. If we could get more gtx690 owners to confirm this issue we could bring it to Nvidia's attention SADLY, if you are on 1709 windows like I am, you cannot go back and use older drivers like the 370-s era of the driver where everything worked because when you go to install your windows 10 driver, it will say the driver is incompatible with your system. Because the driver was for 1703 or 5 or something... So if this bug persists in future drivers it will force GTX 690 users to upgrade even though our card handles even modern games. EDIT 1: I somehow got my to hop on 382.33, and I have experienced no lockups in fullscreen so far. I hope you don't mind but im making this my official testing forum.
anayray18 said:I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first, I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of a crash happening.

Hello, I am a fellow GTX 690 user

TLDR; Its a driver based issue, it happens only in fullscreen mode, I need multiple 690 users to confirm this so we can bring it to Nvidia's attention otherwise we will all be forced to upgrade because all of the drivers supported on the NEWEST release of Windows 10 have this issue. So our only solutions are to revert to 1703 so we can revert drivers back to when they worked or be forced to live with this.

I believe this to be an issue with the current (And a few previous) nvidia driver, dating back to the drivers released for 1709 windows release. Specific to our card type of issues. Some games run in fullscreen mode will cause the driver to crash and not be able to recover. You may be able to hear system sound in game still too correct? In my case my game freezes, and then my mouse input follows shortly after.

This happens to me when running games like fallout 4, Overwatch (BUT ONLY IN FULLSCREEN MODE) and apparently in your case borderlands.
Please run borderlands in windowed mode confirm that it is indeed fullscreen that is causing the driver to crash and not recover and please post back results. (change ini files if it crashes too quickly to change that stuff)

I Hypothesis that because our gtx690 is an old card some of the code has been gutted from the driver that it needs. If we could get more gtx690 owners to confirm this issue we could bring it to Nvidia's attention

SADLY, if you are on 1709 windows like I am, you cannot go back and use older drivers like the 370-s era of the driver where everything worked because when you go to install your windows 10 driver, it will say the driver is incompatible with your system. Because the driver was for 1703 or 5 or something...

So if this bug persists in future drivers it will force GTX 690 users to upgrade even though our card handles even modern games.

EDIT 1: I somehow got my to hop on 382.33, and I have experienced no lockups in fullscreen so far. I hope you don't mind but im making this my official testing forum.

Posted 11/30/2017 08:05 AM   
[quote="jordansinofsky"][quote="anayray18"]I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first, I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of a crash happening. [/quote] [b]Hello, I am a fellow GTX 690 user[/b] [u][b]TLDR; Its a driver based issue, it happens only in fullscreen mode, I need multiple 690 users to confirm this so we can bring it to Nvidia's attention otherwise we will all be forced to upgrade because all of the drivers supported on the NEWEST release of Windows 10 have this issue. So our only solutions are to revert to 1703 so we can revert drivers back to when they worked or be forced to live with this. [/b][/u] I believe this to be an issue with the current (And a few previous) nvidia driver, dating back to the drivers released for 1709 windows release. Specific to our card type of issues. Some games run in fullscreen mode will cause the driver to crash and not be able to recover. You may be able to hear system sound in game still too correct? In my case my game freezes, and then my mouse input follows shortly after. This happens to me when running games like fallout 4, Overwatch [b](BUT ONLY IN FULLSCREEN MODE)[/b] and apparently in your case borderlands. Please run borderlands in windowed mode confirm that it is indeed fullscreen that is causing the driver to crash and not recover and please post back results. (change ini files if it crashes too quickly to change that stuff) I Hypothesis that because our gtx690 is an old card some of the code has been gutted from the driver that it needs. If we could get more gtx690 owners to confirm this issue we could bring it to Nvidia's attention SADLY, if you are on 1709 windows like I am, you cannot go back and use older drivers like the 370-s era of the driver where everything worked because when you go to install your windows 10 driver, it will say the driver is incompatible with your system. Because the driver was for 1703 or 5 or something... So if this bug persists in future drivers it will force GTX 690 users to upgrade even though our card handles even modern games. EDIT 1: I somehow got my to hop on 382.33, and I have experienced no lockups in fullscreen so far. I hope you don't mind but im making this my official testing forum. [/quote] I have the exact same issues you described above, let me know if you find a resolution.
jordansinofsky said:
anayray18 said:I didn't have this problem until about last month. Whenever I play video games one of two things happen: the game application itself crashes and then I have to end the task OR my monitor kinda shuts off while still being powered on if that makes sense, and my computer is still running but I have to restart it. The application crash happens when I play most games and the second crash only ever happens when I play any of the Borderlands games. At first, I thought it was a problem with Windows 7 so I went through the entire process of upgrading to Windows 10 but the problem still persists and I can't play any games for more than 15 minutes without some form of a crash happening.

Hello, I am a fellow GTX 690 user

TLDR; Its a driver based issue, it happens only in fullscreen mode, I need multiple 690 users to confirm this so we can bring it to Nvidia's attention otherwise we will all be forced to upgrade because all of the drivers supported on the NEWEST release of Windows 10 have this issue. So our only solutions are to revert to 1703 so we can revert drivers back to when they worked or be forced to live with this.

I believe this to be an issue with the current (And a few previous) nvidia driver, dating back to the drivers released for 1709 windows release. Specific to our card type of issues. Some games run in fullscreen mode will cause the driver to crash and not be able to recover. You may be able to hear system sound in game still too correct? In my case my game freezes, and then my mouse input follows shortly after.

This happens to me when running games like fallout 4, Overwatch (BUT ONLY IN FULLSCREEN MODE) and apparently in your case borderlands.
Please run borderlands in windowed mode confirm that it is indeed fullscreen that is causing the driver to crash and not recover and please post back results. (change ini files if it crashes too quickly to change that stuff)

I Hypothesis that because our gtx690 is an old card some of the code has been gutted from the driver that it needs. If we could get more gtx690 owners to confirm this issue we could bring it to Nvidia's attention

SADLY, if you are on 1709 windows like I am, you cannot go back and use older drivers like the 370-s era of the driver where everything worked because when you go to install your windows 10 driver, it will say the driver is incompatible with your system. Because the driver was for 1703 or 5 or something...

So if this bug persists in future drivers it will force GTX 690 users to upgrade even though our card handles even modern games.

EDIT 1: I somehow got my to hop on 382.33, and I have experienced no lockups in fullscreen so far. I hope you don't mind but im making this my official testing forum.

I have the exact same issues you described above, let me know if you find a resolution.

Posted 12/01/2017 05:30 AM   
@JackyChow86 The only thing i can say to do is downgrade your driver to 382.33
@JackyChow86 The only thing i can say to do is downgrade your driver to 382.33

Posted 12/06/2017 11:00 PM   
Hi , I have the same issues after updating my WIN10, now with GTX660 Sig2 in SLI I cant run many of my games, usually fail in fullscreen etc, will sometime run on single card but only sometimes.
Hi ,

I have the same issues after updating my WIN10, now with GTX660 Sig2 in SLI I cant run many of my games, usually fail in fullscreen etc, will sometime run on single card but only sometimes.

Posted 12/11/2017 07:50 AM   
[quote="chalkysuper7"]Hi , I have the same issues after updating my WIN10, now with GTX660 Sig2 in SLI I cant run many of my games, usually fail in fullscreen etc, will sometime run on single card but only sometimes. [/quote] Alright my man. Well, it seems its definitely something to do with kepler cards + sli
chalkysuper7 said:Hi ,

I have the same issues after updating my WIN10, now with GTX660 Sig2 in SLI I cant run many of my games, usually fail in fullscreen etc, will sometime run on single card but only sometimes.

Alright my man. Well, it seems its definitely something to do with kepler cards + sli

Posted 12/13/2017 07:06 PM   
I too have a 690, and have been having this identical problem for about 1.5 years. It all began about a month or two since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. Additionally, I’ll have an actual BSOD (dpc watchdog errors) every now and then. Reviewing the dumps it’s consistently related to NVIDIA drivers. I’ve done everything from roll back to old NVIDIA drivers, disable unnecessary drivers like the NVIDIA sound drivers and RealTek audio drivers, to aggressively keep drivers up to date.... No stability. Best period was when I rolled back to an NVIDA driver set that was almost a year old by doing a full remove and clean install. This lasted a while, but Win 10 is constantly changing and forcing other driver updates on you, so change control is impossible. Theoretically though, NVIDIA should be all over this because their latest drivers should always be on par with the latest Microsoft updates. Otherwise the whole driver lifecycle of their products is in trouble. From doing numerous diagnostic tests, I’ve found no hardware issues with any component of my PC. Disk, RAM, CPU, GPU all come clean. Temperatures are at a nice, relative low throughout with good airflow.
I too have a 690, and have been having this identical problem for about 1.5 years. It all began about a month or two since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. Additionally, I’ll have an actual BSOD (dpc watchdog errors) every now and then. Reviewing the dumps it’s consistently related to NVIDIA drivers. I’ve done everything from roll back to old NVIDIA drivers, disable unnecessary drivers like the NVIDIA sound drivers and RealTek audio drivers, to aggressively keep drivers up to date.... No stability. Best period was when I rolled back to an NVIDA driver set that was almost a year old by doing a full remove and clean install. This lasted a while, but Win 10 is constantly changing and forcing other driver updates on you, so change control is impossible.

Theoretically though, NVIDIA should be all over this because their latest drivers should always be on par with the latest Microsoft updates. Otherwise the whole driver lifecycle of their products is in trouble.

From doing numerous diagnostic tests, I’ve found no hardware issues with any component of my PC. Disk, RAM, CPU, GPU all come clean. Temperatures are at a nice, relative low throughout with good airflow.

Posted 01/01/2018 07:10 PM   
I'm having the exact same problem with Windows 10 and my GTX 690. I've just updated the driver to version 388.71, and XCOM 2 now only runs in Windowed modes (incl. Windowed(Fullscreen)). It refuses to run in normal Fullscreen mode.
I'm having the exact same problem with Windows 10 and my GTX 690. I've just updated the driver to version 388.71, and XCOM 2 now only runs in Windowed modes (incl. Windowed(Fullscreen)). It refuses to run in normal Fullscreen mode.

Posted 01/02/2018 02:04 PM   
Hi. I have the same problem, I have the GTX 690 and when I'm playing the new current Call Of Duty WW2 game, it's just only one card out of two, I thought it was a bug in the game and needs a SLI update. Please help me how to . THX.
Hi.
I have the same problem, I have the GTX 690 and when I'm playing the new current Call Of Duty WW2 game, it's just only one card out of two, I thought it was a bug in the game and needs a SLI update.
Please help me how to . THX.

Posted 01/06/2018 02:18 PM   
Hi GTX 690 fans. I have the same problems in Win 10 fullscreen. Nvidia company, can You help us? With specific driver or something... Thanks.
Hi GTX 690 fans.
I have the same problems in Win 10 fullscreen. Nvidia company, can You help us? With specific driver or something...
Thanks.

Posted 01/13/2018 12:47 PM   
Same issue as other describe, bumping I can play games windowed just fine but when I fullscreen the program it crashes. It all started when I acquired a second 690 and decided to test running them as quad SLI. When I installed the second 690 card, the drivers went haywire. So I upgraded my drivers and windows started to work again but now my games constantly crash. I removed the second 690 card and the problem persists. It must be a driver issue. I will try downgrading drivers to see if that helps. So far I am using 385.69 and no crashes. I do get some bad stuttering from time to time in Dark Souls III.
Same issue as other describe, bumping

I can play games windowed just fine but when I fullscreen the program it crashes.

It all started when I acquired a second 690 and decided to test running them as quad SLI. When I installed the second 690 card, the drivers went haywire. So I upgraded my drivers and windows started to work again but now my games constantly crash. I removed the second 690 card and the problem persists. It must be a driver issue. I will try downgrading drivers to see if that helps.

So far I am using 385.69 and no crashes. I do get some bad stuttering from time to time in Dark Souls III.

Posted 01/17/2018 03:12 PM   
Having similar problems with my (single) GTX690, I got it on a box running Win7(64-Bit), with 1 GTX980-Ti and a GTX690. The problems started after a windows Update (2018.01.10)my "box" started to "flake out". After some tests I established it to be the GTX690 that was "failing". I don't have a "fix" BUT I have a suggestion/question to other users that get this problem. IF You get the "symptom" that Your games crashes i "Full-Screen Mode" but works fine (but with lower FpS) in "Windowed Mode", I would suggest that You disable SLI and test if "Full-Screen Mode" works then. This won't "fix" anything however it might make it easier to diagnose, if we can "pin point" the problem more exactly. I have tested my card and established that BOTH cores work absolutely fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT RUN IN SLI. And when I read people writing that their "cards crash" when running fullscreen, I believe this is because SLI is ONLY APPLIED in FULLSRCEEN MODE, so I believe that's what makes games work while "Windowed" and then crash when in "Full-Screen". = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Appendix: My problems started by "Windows Update" trying to update my graphics drivers to an older version ((in jan. of 2018 it tried to install NVIDIA - Display - 10/27/2017 12:00:00 AM - 23.21.13.8813) which seems to be "a known issue"). How ever after having moved the card to another computer that is running Win10 (64bit) the problem persists, so that makes it appear as if it's a hardware issue.
Having similar problems with my (single) GTX690, I got it on a box running Win7(64-Bit), with 1 GTX980-Ti and a GTX690. The problems started after a windows Update (2018.01.10)my "box" started to "flake out". After some tests I established it to be the GTX690 that was "failing".
I don't have a "fix" BUT I have a suggestion/question to other users that get this problem. IF You get the "symptom" that Your games crashes i "Full-Screen Mode" but works fine (but with lower FpS) in "Windowed Mode", I would suggest that You disable SLI and test if "Full-Screen Mode" works then.
This won't "fix" anything however it might make it easier to diagnose, if we can "pin point" the problem more exactly.
I have tested my card and established that BOTH cores work absolutely fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT RUN IN SLI. And when I read people writing that their "cards crash" when running fullscreen, I believe this is because SLI is ONLY APPLIED in FULLSRCEEN MODE, so I believe that's what makes games work while "Windowed" and then crash when in "Full-Screen".
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Appendix:
My problems started by "Windows Update" trying to update my graphics drivers to an older version ((in jan. of 2018 it tried to install NVIDIA - Display - 10/27/2017 12:00:00 AM - 23.21.13.8813) which seems to be "a known issue"). How ever after having moved the card to another computer that is running Win10 (64bit) the problem persists, so that makes it appear as if it's a hardware issue.

Posted 02/02/2018 05:17 PM   
refer to pc component section and look for greybear post where he teaches how to lock windows from auto update and downgrade your driver compatible with older card
refer to pc component section and look for greybear post where he teaches how to lock windows from auto update and downgrade your driver compatible with older card

CPU:Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz/Coolermaster Hyper 103
MOBO:Asus H81M-K
RAM:8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Gainward Golden Sample 2GB Edition @ 388.13
PSU:Coolermaster MasterWatt Lite 600W

Posted 02/04/2018 03:39 AM   
Not much to add but "me too". GTX690 attached to LG C7 OLED tv. Works fine clicking around in windows 10, but once I launch a game (diablo III) I have a minute or so at most before I get "no signal" and a black screen. I tried connecting a second monitor to see if I could launch the game windowed on the small monitor and it lasted a bit longer than ever before ([i]maybe [/i]90 seconds), but then both monitor and tv lost signal and forced a power button hard boot. I have other cards I could try installing, but was reading folks with 980 and 1080 cards having the same issue. What the heck is going on?
Not much to add but "me too". GTX690 attached to LG C7 OLED tv. Works fine clicking around in windows 10, but once I launch a game (diablo III) I have a minute or so at most before I get "no signal" and a black screen.

I tried connecting a second monitor to see if I could launch the game windowed on the small monitor and it lasted a bit longer than ever before (maybe 90 seconds), but then both monitor and tv lost signal and forced a power button hard boot.

I have other cards I could try installing, but was reading folks with 980 and 1080 cards having the same issue. What the heck is going on?

Posted 02/08/2018 07:36 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top