HDMI 4K@60Hz Flicker
I have an LG 4K television, a 22 Gbps rated Monster HDMI cable, and an Nvidia 1080 Ti. I recently decided to try using the 1080 Ti's HDMI port again. It still flickers. A lot! This is NOT a problem with my television or the cable. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem. Any ideas?
I have an LG 4K television, a 22 Gbps rated Monster HDMI cable, and an Nvidia 1080 Ti. I recently decided to try using the 1080 Ti's HDMI port again. It still flickers. A lot!

This is NOT a problem with my television or the cable. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem.

Any ideas?

Posted 11/20/2017 06:55 AM   
Are you running 4K resolution on interlaced mode (i)? If not run it on progressive scan mode (p).
Are you running 4K resolution on interlaced mode (i)? If not run it on progressive scan mode (p).

Posted 11/20/2017 07:50 PM   
It is not in interlace mode. This isn't that kind of flicker. This is kind of flicker where it looks fine for about 10 seconds then goes black, resets and comes back fine for another 5 - 20 seconds.
It is not in interlace mode. This isn't that kind of flicker. This is kind of flicker where it looks fine for about 10 seconds then goes black, resets and comes back fine for another 5 - 20 seconds.

Posted 11/23/2017 04:00 AM   
Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist. max 2.0 is 18GB/s. just use displayport, hdmi is an experimental mess.
Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist.

max 2.0 is 18GB/s.

just use displayport, hdmi is an experimental mess.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 11/23/2017 09:21 AM   
[quote="Sora"]Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist. max 2.0 is 18GB/s. just use displayport, hdmi is an experimental mess.[/quote] ^This. Or.. Are you, OP, running it via long cable, like 1m+? If so, that may be your problem. Also make sure that electrical power at home does not fluctuate much, power filter could help, also ferrite choke on cable could help (on DP cable it somehow a must, as I had bad experience without ferrite choke on cable with mobile interference, such as getting sms when phone near cable and monitor would blink/turn off for a while then on). P.S. [quote="Zan_Lynx"]I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem. [/quote] So why speculate and not just use this method if it works well?
Sora said:Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist.

max 2.0 is 18GB/s.

just use displayport, hdmi is an experimental mess.

^This.
Or.. Are you, OP, running it via long cable, like 1m+? If so, that may be your problem. Also make sure that electrical power at home does not fluctuate much, power filter could help, also ferrite choke on cable could help (on DP cable it somehow a must, as I had bad experience without ferrite choke on cable with mobile interference, such as getting sms when phone near cable and monitor would blink/turn off for a while then on).

P.S.
Zan_Lynx said:I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem.

So why speculate and not just use this method if it works well?

Posted 11/23/2017 01:24 PM   
[quote="kapitulus"] P.S. [quote="Zan_Lynx"]I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem. [/quote] So why speculate and not just use this method if it works well?[/quote] Because I think that if the card has an HDMI port that it should work. It does not work. I'd also like to solve it because I tried to help a friend with an Nvidia 1070 and he has exactly the same problem with his Vizio 4K television. He solved it by setting the refresh rate to 30Hz but that is stupid and only works for him because his card can't reliably do better than that anyway. A 1080 Ti can and does hold 60+ FPS at 4K. I really suspect that Nvidia never did any QA on this. Did they even try it? If so I want to know what TV and cable that was used.
kapitulus said:
P.S.
Zan_Lynx said:I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I usually use with the same cable and TV and it works really well. This is some kind of Nvidia problem.

So why speculate and not just use this method if it works well?

Because I think that if the card has an HDMI port that it should work. It does not work. I'd also like to solve it because I tried to help a friend with an Nvidia 1070 and he has exactly the same problem with his Vizio 4K television. He solved it by setting the refresh rate to 30Hz but that is stupid and only works for him because his card can't reliably do better than that anyway. A 1080 Ti can and does hold 60+ FPS at 4K.

I really suspect that Nvidia never did any QA on this. Did they even try it? If so I want to know what TV and cable that was used.

Posted 11/29/2017 04:05 AM   
[quote="Sora"]Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist. max 2.0 is 18GB/s. [/quote] It's for future compatibility. And at that point I was so sick of trying various cables that won't tell you any meaningful data that I just got one that told me the supported bandwidth. Other cables I tried just said things like "Supports 4K" Yeah sure, at 30 Hz 8 bit color! "HDMI 2.0" is even worse since it doesn't actually mean anything. I'm convinced they just resell their 1.4 cables in a new package and hope no one tries to use them for 4K deep color.

max 2.0 is 18GB/s.

It's for future compatibility. And at that point I was so sick of trying various cables that won't tell you any meaningful data that I just got one that told me the supported bandwidth.

Other cables I tried just said things like "Supports 4K" Yeah sure, at 30 Hz 8 bit color! "HDMI 2.0" is even worse since it doesn't actually mean anything. I'm convinced they just resell their 1.4 cables in a new package and hope no one tries to use them for 4K deep color.

Posted 11/29/2017 04:13 AM   
[quote="Zan_Lynx"][quote="Sora"]Wow, you have a hdmi cable rated for a bandwidth that doesn't exist. max 2.0 is 18GB/s. [/quote] It's for future compatibility. And at that point I was so sick of trying various cables that won't tell you any meaningful data that I just got one that told me the supported bandwidth. Other cables I tried just said things like "Supports 4K" Yeah sure, at 30 Hz 8 bit color! "HDMI 2.0" is even worse since it doesn't actually mean anything. I'm convinced they just resell their 1.4 cables in a new package and hope no one tries to use them for 4K deep color.[/quote] It is just cables. Either you get signal or you don't. It's digital signal, not analog. There is almost no difference between them unless you use really cheap ones. Google that if you don't believe.
Zan_Lynx said:

max 2.0 is 18GB/s.

It's for future compatibility. And at that point I was so sick of trying various cables that won't tell you any meaningful data that I just got one that told me the supported bandwidth.

Other cables I tried just said things like "Supports 4K" Yeah sure, at 30 Hz 8 bit color! "HDMI 2.0" is even worse since it doesn't actually mean anything. I'm convinced they just resell their 1.4 cables in a new package and hope no one tries to use them for 4K deep color.

It is just cables. Either you get signal or you don't. It's digital signal, not analog. There is almost no difference between them unless you use really cheap ones. Google that if you don't believe.

Posted 11/29/2017 11:44 AM   
[quote="kapitulus"] It is just cables. Either you get signal or you don't. It's digital signal, not analog. There is almost no difference between them unless you use really cheap ones. Google that if you don't believe.[/quote] I don't believe you because I know better. It's obvious you don't understand the physics of high speed digital cables. First point being: there is no digital signal, it's all analog. And if you try to switch that signal from high to low too quickly it blurs and causes an error. That's where cable quality comes in. The fact that PCI Express has error correction for data lines only inches long should tell you something about just how wrong "either you get signal or you don't" is. With HDMI when the errors get so bad that it loses track of the signal entirely, it resets the link. Resulting in exactly the black screen and flicker that is happening to me.
kapitulus said:
It is just cables. Either you get signal or you don't. It's digital signal, not analog. There is almost no difference between them unless you use really cheap ones. Google that if you don't believe.

I don't believe you because I know better. It's obvious you don't understand the physics of high speed digital cables. First point being: there is no digital signal, it's all analog. And if you try to switch that signal from high to low too quickly it blurs and causes an error. That's where cable quality comes in.

The fact that PCI Express has error correction for data lines only inches long should tell you something about just how wrong "either you get signal or you don't" is.

With HDMI when the errors get so bad that it loses track of the signal entirely, it resets the link. Resulting in exactly the black screen and flicker that is happening to me.

Posted 12/06/2017 07:35 PM   
Please, tell the class how well those error correction lines are in the case of a riser cable trying to decode video's on a 10 series gpu. I'll give you a hint, video corruption and crashes occur. HDMI (just like pcie) is a negotiated signal, too many errors cause a transmission layer reset, which may not return a working image. 22GB/s doesn't exist. There is no way for Monster to have verified this rate when no hdmi SoC supports this rate (also HDMI 2.1 is 48GB/s and requires a new cable) higher speed cables require higher gauge wire, and higher gauge wire has a higher SNR and loss ratio unless accompanied with an increase in signal voltage (which there is NOT in this case). There is still a high chance the cable is the reason for your issues.
Please, tell the class how well those error correction lines are in the case of a riser cable trying to decode video's on a 10 series gpu. I'll give you a hint, video corruption and crashes occur.

HDMI (just like pcie) is a negotiated signal, too many errors cause a transmission layer reset, which may not return a working image.

22GB/s doesn't exist. There is no way for Monster to have verified this rate when no hdmi SoC supports this rate (also HDMI 2.1 is 48GB/s and requires a new cable)

higher speed cables require higher gauge wire, and higher gauge wire has a higher SNR and loss ratio unless accompanied with an increase in signal voltage (which there is NOT in this case).

There is still a high chance the cable is the reason for your issues.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
SDD:Pending
HDD:Pending
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 12/07/2017 01:05 AM   
Scroll To Top