nvlddmkm error id 14 related to MoBo BIOS version
  1 / 2    
Hello, like many people, I have problem that my graphic lags or stutter for few seconds after some hours of gaming with nvlddmkm error id 14 in event log. And I tried almost all possible fixes, like installing newest or older drivers, cleaning drivers with DDU, changing tdrdelay or tdrlevel in registry, disable PCIe link state in power management, underclocking card, connect power supply of graphic card to different branch on PSU, checking all temperatures, clearing out dust and applying new thermal paste on GPU.. and one of things I tried was updating vBIOS of graphic card and BIOS of motherboard.. First, my setup (I know that graphic card is old and I plan to buy a new one, but with this problem, Iam not sure that changing graphic card will be ultimate solution): GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 Ultra Durable OC 2GB (now with F5 BIOS) [url]http://uk.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N670OC-2GD#ov[/url] MoBo: GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3 - Intel Z170 (now with F6 BIOS) [url]http://uk.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-3-EU-rev-10#ov[/url] CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K + Noctua NH-U9B SE2 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K - 120GB PSU: Corsair CX Series CX550M 550W monitor: LG Flatron IPS235P connected via DVI-D OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Updating BIOS on graphic card had no effect on this error, but things are really different with updating BIOS on motherboard: when I updated to newest version F22d, this graphic lagging issue is much worse. Its lagging even on Windows desktop, whole computer freezes for few seconds (keyboard and mouse doesn't react), then works fine for a moment, then freeze for few seconds again.. I can start game like CS:GO and when I start to load some map, it takes several minutes to load. And then in game I have like 0,2 FPS - one frame rendered, then freeze for five seconds, another frame, then freeze again. Sometimes sound start stuttering with that (sometimes screen freezes, but sound continues to play like in a loop). Some freezes are longer, probably when graphic card resets and monitor blinks. After some time it will freeze completely. Instead after few hours of gaming, its now happening all the time since OS starts. Event log is then full of these errors: nvlddmkm id 14 Display id 4101 nvlddmkm id 13 and in reliability monitor is error: LiveKernelEvent id 141 So, I downgraded BIOS on motherboard back to version F6 and everything works like before. I can play again for hours without lagging or stutering (of course until this error happens again after few hours or days of playing and it happens only during gaming). In both cases, nothing is overclocked, everything in BIOS is on default/Auto and I used "Load optimized defaults" after BIOS update. Do you have any idea why this thing could happen? And could be buying new graphic card a solution to this problem? Thanks
Hello,

like many people, I have problem that my graphic lags or stutter for few seconds after some hours of gaming with nvlddmkm error id 14 in event log. And I tried almost all possible fixes, like installing newest or older drivers, cleaning drivers with DDU, changing tdrdelay or tdrlevel in registry, disable PCIe link state in power management, underclocking card, connect power supply of graphic card to different branch on PSU, checking all temperatures, clearing out dust and applying new thermal paste on GPU.. and one of things I tried was updating vBIOS of graphic card and BIOS of motherboard..

First, my setup (I know that graphic card is old and I plan to buy a new one, but with this problem, Iam not sure that changing graphic card will be ultimate solution):

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 Ultra Durable OC 2GB (now with F5 BIOS)
http://uk.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N670OC-2GD#ov
MoBo: GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 3 - Intel Z170 (now with F6 BIOS)
http://uk.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-3-EU-rev-10#ov
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K + Noctua NH-U9B SE2
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K - 120GB
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX550M 550W
monitor: LG Flatron IPS235P connected via DVI-D

Updating BIOS on graphic card had no effect on this error, but things are really different with updating BIOS on motherboard: when I updated to newest version F22d, this graphic lagging issue is much worse. Its lagging even on Windows desktop, whole computer freezes for few seconds (keyboard and mouse doesn't react), then works fine for a moment, then freeze for few seconds again.. I can start game like CS:GO and when I start to load some map, it takes several minutes to load. And then in game I have like 0,2 FPS - one frame rendered, then freeze for five seconds, another frame, then freeze again. Sometimes sound start stuttering with that (sometimes screen freezes, but sound continues to play like in a loop). Some freezes are longer, probably when graphic card resets and monitor blinks. After some time it will freeze completely. Instead after few hours of gaming, its now happening all the time since OS starts.

Event log is then full of these errors:
nvlddmkm id 14
Display id 4101
nvlddmkm id 13

and in reliability monitor is error:
LiveKernelEvent id 141

So, I downgraded BIOS on motherboard back to version F6 and everything works like before. I can play again for hours without lagging or stutering (of course until this error happens again after few hours or days of playing and it happens only during gaming). In both cases, nothing is overclocked, everything in BIOS is on default/Auto and I used "Load optimized defaults" after BIOS update.

Do you have any idea why this thing could happen? And could be buying new graphic card a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Posted 11/16/2017 07:52 PM   
. Give these drivers a try: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5): [.]Install DDU[/.] Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows. [.]you will end up in Safe mode[/.] Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE Run DDU: [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, Do not Restart[/.] [.]Shutdown the computer[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]382.33[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.] .

Give these drivers a try:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5):
  • Install DDU

• Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows.
  • you will end up in Safe mode
  • Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE

Run DDU:
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean, Do not Restart
  • Shutdown the computer

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 382.33 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
    Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 11/17/2017 02:23 AM   
    reset the cmos (not optimal defaults) after upgrading the bios.
    reset the cmos (not optimal defaults) after upgrading the bios.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

Specs:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX200 250
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme

WIP:
    CPU:Intel Xeon x5660, Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 LP
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Palit Geforce GTX 550ti
    Monitor:Pending, Sound:Pending
    SDD:Pending
    HDD:Pending
    Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight True Spirit 120M

Posted 11/17/2017 06:53 AM   
    So, what I did today: I used DDU and installed 382.33 drivers exactly like you said. Then I updated BIOS to version F22d and used clear CMOS jumper on motherboard. Unfortunatelly, this was useless. I still got freezes and stutters. So I borrowed my brother graphic card - GIGABYTE HD 7870 Ultra Durable 2GB I used DDU, swapped cards, cleared CMOS and installed latest drivers 17.11.2 Then I played games like CS:GO and GTA V for one hour and everything runned fine without single error. Then I used DDU, putted back my card, cleared CMOS, installed drivers 382.33 - and this slideshow freezes started again. So I reverted BIOS back to version F6 and cleared CMOS. So far it's good. But Iam sure some freeze will happen again after few hours/days. I will keep 382.33 drivers installed to see if they are more stable than others. It seems that graphic card is the source of this problem and buying a new one will probably solve this. After this Iam just not sure if I should buy nvidia or AMD. Can you look at support page of my motherboard and guess which BIOS version would be most stable for me?
    So, what I did today:
    I used DDU and installed 382.33 drivers exactly like you said.
    Then I updated BIOS to version F22d and used clear CMOS jumper on motherboard.

Unfortunatelly, this was useless. I still got freezes and stutters.

So I borrowed my brother graphic card - GIGABYTE HD 7870 Ultra Durable 2GB
    I used DDU, swapped cards, cleared CMOS and installed latest drivers 17.11.2

Then I played games like CS:GO and GTA V for one hour and everything runned fine without single error.

Then I used DDU, putted back my card, cleared CMOS, installed drivers 382.33 - and this slideshow freezes started again.

So I reverted BIOS back to version F6 and cleared CMOS. So far it's good. But Iam sure some freeze will happen again after few hours/days. I will keep 382.33 drivers installed to see if they are more stable than others.

It seems that graphic card is the source of this problem and buying a new one will probably solve this. After this Iam just not sure if I should buy nvidia or AMD.

Can you look at support page of my motherboard and guess which BIOS version would be most stable for me?

Posted 11/17/2017 01:57 PM   
    . What I do not see in the Description of events if that you Entered the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULTS after the Update. Clear CMOS is good but is it loading DEFAULTS or Optimize :) Though it works great with the AMD card here is my thought. IRQ conflict. AMD has (IMO) always had a better compatibility The F22d BIOS says it fixes a HT flaw but does not explain how. ==================== So, if you try it again..... Enter BIOS LOAD Defaults MAX PCIE LINK SPEED: Gen 2 Set Date and Time Save and Exit. But I am going to tell you....I am not a fan of updating just to have the Update. IF you were not having a problem, then updating the BIOS fixes nothing. I am still using the 347.88 drivers on my 960 on Windows 8 | 375.70 on Windows 10 .

What I do not see in the Description of events if that you Entered the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULTS after the Update.

Clear CMOS is good but is it loading DEFAULTS or Optimize :)

Though it works great with the AMD card here is my thought. IRQ conflict. AMD has (IMO) always had a better compatibility

The F22d BIOS says it fixes a HT flaw but does not explain how.

====================

So, if you try it again.....

Enter BIOS
    LOAD Defaults
    MAX PCIE LINK SPEED: Gen 2
    Set Date and Time
    Save and Exit.

But I am going to tell you....I am not a fan of updating just to have the Update. IF you were not having a problem, then updating the BIOS fixes nothing.

I am still using the 347.88 drivers on my 960 on Windows 8 | 375.70 on Windows 10

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 11/17/2017 02:29 PM   
    Yeah, I actually tried both. Just clear CMOS and when that didn't help, I entered BIOS and selected Load Optimized Defaults (It's only option for load defaults in BIOS, I know that some older motherboards had options like load fail-safe, default, performance..). Clearing CMOS using jumper worked, because it started differently and on first enter to BIOS, message about cleared CMOS appeared. Looking at values in BIOS, I think motherboard automatically load these optimized defaults after clearing CMOS, because settings stay the same, like that fancy red background LED light on motherboard will be on, even when I disabled it before clearing CMOS. I agree with you, I don't need to have the latest BIOS just to have the latest BIOS. :) It's just one of things I tried to solve these nvlddmkm id 14 errors every few days. It's frustrating, when it's start to freezing in the middle of competitive CS:GO match, even when it worked perfectly for last two days. Sometimes graphic just have like a hiccup, it lags for a few seconds and then it continues to work properly and sometimes graphic won't recover and I had to quickly restart PC. And now I just wonder why BIOS version have effect like that on this issue. Iam really curios what is happeing there. :) That's why I downgraded BIOS to version F6. It's the last version before they added support for Kaby Lake processors, which I don't need, because I have Skylake CPU. And because there is kind of a big time gap between versions F6 and F20, I think that F6 version should be stable, because they didn't find any issues with it and didn't have to release new version. So that why I tried only these two version - F22d, because it's latest (thus all issues should be fixed) and F6, because it's last before Kaby Lake support. As you can see on F20 verison, it says "This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS", that's why I use to downgrade bootable flash drive with program called FPT. And this newest BIOS is like shortcut to troubleshooting this issue. If I do some changes to system with older BIOS, I have to wait for few days to see if that change was effective or not. With newest BIOS, I can see that after few minutes.. And nothing I did was effective so far, that's why Iam here. :) I don't need to have the lastest drivers, but what about fixes for games they do in every version? Like driver "ready for GTA V" was 350.12. Shouldn't your version 347.88 be too old for this and you could have better performance with newer drivers? I will try that PCIe link speed gen 2 setting. //edit: Changes in F22d was for Hyper-threading, which my CPU doesn't have, but in version F21, they changed "V core Voltage adjust" maybe that could have someting to do with this issue (or maybe just F20, because that was a big update). I wonder if I should try all these versions to find out which will be stable.. maybe I will try just F20, to see if that big update was a reason.
    Yeah, I actually tried both. Just clear CMOS and when that didn't help, I entered BIOS and selected Load Optimized Defaults (It's only option for load defaults in BIOS, I know that some older motherboards had options like load fail-safe, default, performance..). Clearing CMOS using jumper worked, because it started differently and on first enter to BIOS, message about cleared CMOS appeared. Looking at values in BIOS, I think motherboard automatically load these optimized defaults after clearing CMOS, because settings stay the same, like that fancy red background LED light on motherboard will be on, even when I disabled it before clearing CMOS.

I agree with you, I don't need to have the latest BIOS just to have the latest BIOS. :) It's just one of things I tried to solve these nvlddmkm id 14 errors every few days. It's frustrating, when it's start to freezing in the middle of competitive CS:GO match, even when it worked perfectly for last two days. Sometimes graphic just have like a hiccup, it lags for a few seconds and then it continues to work properly and sometimes graphic won't recover and I had to quickly restart PC. And now I just wonder why BIOS version have effect like that on this issue. Iam really curios what is happeing there. :)

That's why I downgraded BIOS to version F6. It's the last version before they added support for Kaby Lake processors, which I don't need, because I have Skylake CPU. And because there is kind of a big time gap between versions F6 and F20, I think that F6 version should be stable, because they didn't find any issues with it and didn't have to release new version. So that why I tried only these two version - F22d, because it's latest (thus all issues should be fixed) and F6, because it's last before Kaby Lake support. As you can see on F20 verison, it says "This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS", that's why I use to downgrade bootable flash drive with program called FPT.

And this newest BIOS is like shortcut to troubleshooting this issue. If I do some changes to system with older BIOS, I have to wait for few days to see if that change was effective or not. With newest BIOS, I can see that after few minutes.. And nothing I did was effective so far, that's why Iam here. :)

I don't need to have the lastest drivers, but what about fixes for games they do in every version? Like driver "ready for GTA V" was 350.12. Shouldn't your version 347.88 be too old for this and you could have better performance with newer drivers?

I will try that PCIe link speed gen 2 setting.

//edit:
    Changes in F22d was for Hyper-threading, which my CPU doesn't have, but in version F21, they changed "V core Voltage adjust" maybe that could have someting to do with this issue (or maybe just F20, because that was a big update). I wonder if I should try all these versions to find out which will be stable.. maybe I will try just F20, to see if that big update was a reason.

Posted 11/17/2017 04:51 PM   
    . Yes and No. Performance, Stability, compatibility. One of the biggest complaints with driver updating is LATENCY and several of the drivers have increased Latency. Another issue is BLACK SCREEN or Blinking, most likely goes back to Latency Developers build in blocks because they are LAZY. They, like Micorosoft, want you to believe that updating improves performance, security and minimizes issues. When in fact it is their laziness and willing to blame old drivers instead of looking at the DATA. I did the BF1 beta and they created such a block. So I had to use this simple [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/1/]Trick[/url] to bypass the block. Game played great. While everyone complained about crashing, I had no issues. But when I contacted them about the missing gun, they tried to tell me it was a driver issue....turns out the last patch before they shut down the beta fixed the missing gun. Not a driver update. ===================== But I digress and my Opinion is no more right and definitely will find more people that oppose it :) You still have an issue. The Event 14 can have several other causes. If the Event 14 exists after you update to say F20, and exists with F6 then do this next. Make sure to set the PCIe Link Speed to Gen 2 and retest after each BIOS change. Then try: NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance Run [url=http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_524.exe]HWInfo64[/url] [.]Sensors Only[/.] [.] bottom right - LOGGING (start that)[/.] [.]Leave it running in the Background[/.] Download [url=http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/3dmark,1.html]3DMark[/url] [.]Install[/.] [.]Run it[/.] [.]Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark[/.] [.]Compare Results Online is a Webpage[/.] [.]Please Post that Link here[/.] [.]Close 3DMark / Firestrike[/.] [.]Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info[/.] [.]Post screenshots of HWinfo64[/.] Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic [center]Do not attempt to [size="S"][ALT]+[Tab][/size] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it[/center] Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please. ========== Power Supply make and model? Download [url=https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard]SPECCY[/url]. [.]Download[/.] [.]Install[/.] [.]REBOOT <----IMPORTANT[/.] [.]Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.[/.] [center]DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT[/center] ====== Got another Event 14 thread running right now as well. .

Yes and No.

Performance, Stability, compatibility.

One of the biggest complaints with driver updating is LATENCY and several of the drivers have increased Latency.

Another issue is BLACK SCREEN or Blinking, most likely goes back to Latency

Developers build in blocks because they are LAZY. They, like Micorosoft, want you to believe that updating improves performance, security and minimizes issues. When in fact it is their laziness and willing to blame old drivers instead of looking at the DATA.

I did the BF1 beta and they created such a block. So I had to use this simple Trick to bypass the block.

Game played great. While everyone complained about crashing, I had no issues. But when I contacted them about the missing gun, they tried to tell me it was a driver issue....turns out the last patch before they shut down the beta fixed the missing gun.

Not a driver update.

=====================

But I digress and my Opinion is no more right and definitely will find more people that oppose it :)

You still have an issue. The Event 14 can have several other causes.

If the Event 14 exists after you update to say F20, and exists with F6 then do this next. Make sure to set the PCIe Link Speed to Gen 2 and retest after each BIOS change.

Then try: NVCP > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global > Power Management Mode: Prefer Max Performance

Run HWInfo64
  • Sensors Only
  • bottom right - LOGGING (start that)
  • Leave it running in the Background

• Download 3DMark
  • Install
  • Run it
  • Run only the Firestrike DEMO | Benchmark
  • Compare Results Online is a Webpage
  • Please Post that Link here

• Close 3DMark / Firestrike
  • Get Screenshot(s) HWinfo64 showing all info
  • Post screenshots of HWinfo64
  • Get all the Info, generally 3-5 screenshots. Do not use Tinypic

Do not attempt to [ALT]+[Tab] or it will crash, let the whole thing run without screwing with it

Upload the LOG FILE to DropBox | GoogleDrive | FileDropper and then send me a PM with the link to the file please.

==========

Power Supply make and model?

Download SPECCY.
  • Download
  • Install
  • REBOOT <----IMPORTANT
  • Run Speccy, Top left corner FILE > PUBLISH SNAPSHOT ... PM me the link please.

• DO NOT USE SAVED SNAPSHOT as that has private information that is removed in PUBLISHED SNAPSHOT

======

Got another Event 14 thread running right now as well.

Posted 11/17/2017 06:09 PM   
    Hello together, I've found this case here, cause my Windows 10-Computer have also strange issues since the fall creators update. The last two times I updated the NVIDIA driver to 388.13 and later to 388.31 I have became black screens and many event-ids 13 and 4101. So I have searched for a solution and have found, that some people have similar entries in their logfiles. Not everybody have the same grafikcard or the same operating system, but it seems for me, it could be a reason with the actual NVIDIA-drivers. I'm not sure, but till the middle of October I have had no problems with my grafikcard. The only things I have chanced is the fall creators update and the newer drivers for the grafikcard. But I do not feel like experimenting with suspicion. I think NVIDIA should have a look of this cases.
    Hello together,

I've found this case here, cause my Windows 10-Computer have also strange issues since the fall creators update. The last two times I updated the NVIDIA driver to 388.13 and later to 388.31 I have became black screens and many event-ids 13 and 4101. So I have searched for a solution and have found, that some people have similar entries in their logfiles. Not everybody have the same grafikcard or the same operating system, but it seems for me, it could be a reason with the actual NVIDIA-drivers. I'm not sure, but till the middle of October I have had no problems with my grafikcard. The only things I have chanced is the fall creators update and the newer drivers for the grafikcard. But I do not feel like experimenting with suspicion. I think NVIDIA should have a look of this cases.

Posted 11/19/2017 01:14 PM   
    . [quote]The last two times I updated the NVIDIA driver to 388.13 and later to 388.31 I have became black screens and many event-ids 13 and 4101.[/quote] This is the problem. And you most likely have already gone back to the previous working driver. [quote][center]""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""[/center] [center]Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.[/center][/quote] If not: [quote="Greybear"]Give these drivers a try: Download [url=http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17075-released]DDU[/url] (get the 17.0.7.5): [.]Install DDU[/.] Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows. [.]you will end up in Safe mode[/.] Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE Run DDU: [.]Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers[/.] [.]Select: Clean, Do not Restart[/.] [.]Shutdown the computer[/.] Run the [url=http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab]Microsoft Show hide tool[/url] [.]Hide all NVIDIA software and driver[/.] [.]Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, [color="orange"]keep rerunning[/color][/.] Download this [url=http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe]382.33[/url] driver [.]Run DOWNLOAD package[/.] [.]Select: CUSTOM[/.] [.]Check the CLEAN INSTALL box[/.] [.]Finish install[/.] [.][color="orange"]Reboot[/color][/.][/quote] If you had a Previous Driver that worked Great, instead of my 382.33 driver, use the one you liked. [quote]C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\xxx.xx\Win10_64\International\[/quote] xxx.xx is previous versions. Run the Setup.exe from that directory. If you have Windows 10 PRO, disable the Driver updating. Game that require Newer Drivers, use [url=https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/962633/pc-games/bypassing-the-driver-version-check-of-a-game-/]this[/url] .

The last two times I updated the NVIDIA driver to 388.13 and later to 388.31 I have became black screens and many event-ids 13 and 4101.
    This is the problem.

And you most likely have already gone back to the previous working driver.

If not:
    Greybear said:Give these drivers a try:

Download DDU (get the 17.0.7.5):
  • Install DDU

• Hold [SHIFT] and click on RESTART Windows.
  • you will end up in Safe mode
  • Cannot use PIN, must use Account password to enter SAFE MODE

Run DDU:
  • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
  • Select: Clean, Do not Restart
  • Shutdown the computer

• Run the Microsoft Show hide tool
  • Hide all NVIDIA software and driver
  • Run it again to make sure there are no more, if more appear, keep rerunning

• Download this 382.33 driver
  • Run DOWNLOAD package
  • Select: CUSTOM
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
  • Finish install
  • Reboot

• If you had a Previous Driver that worked Great, instead of my 382.33 driver, use the one you liked.

C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\xxx.xx\Win10_64\International\
    xxx.xx is previous versions.
    Run the Setup.exe from that directory.

If you have Windows 10 PRO, disable the Driver updating.

Game that require Newer Drivers, use this

Posted 11/19/2017 03:17 PM   
    [quote="Greybear"][quote][center]This is the problem.[/center] [center]And you most likely have already gone back to the previous working driver.[/center][/quote] Thank you for the hints! In my case, the problems only occur during the installation. Then the computer runs without any abnormalities. However, I'm not a gamer, but use the computer mainly for office tasks. I am now waiting for improvements from NVIDIA. Greetings, Richard
    Greybear said:
    This is the problem.

And you most likely have already gone back to the previous working driver.

Thank you for the hints!
    In my case, the problems only occur during the installation. Then the computer runs without any abnormalities. However, I'm not a gamer, but use the computer mainly for office tasks.

I am now waiting for improvements from NVIDIA.

Greetings, Richard

Posted 11/20/2017 02:56 PM   
    . IF everything is working, I cannot argue with that. But if there are any other issues, get off those drivers, these forums are full of people having random issues with the 388.xx series drivers. IF you use a bad driver waiting for a NEWER driver to fix what a BAD DRIVER broke, it will not happen. Most fixes and issues with the DRIVERS not relating to games or programs are RANDOM events. .

IF everything is working, I cannot argue with that. But if there are any other issues, get off those drivers, these forums are full of people having random issues with the 388.xx series drivers.

IF you use a bad driver waiting for a NEWER driver to fix what a BAD DRIVER broke, it will not happen. Most fixes and issues with the DRIVERS not relating to games or programs are RANDOM events.

Posted 11/20/2017 06:51 PM   
    Today a run bechmark with BIOS version F6, which si more stable for me and drivers 382.33. Test run without any problems. I changed Max Link Speed to Gen2 in BIOS In BIOS, there is also option "3DMark01 Enhancement", which I left on Disabled (default value) I set "prefer maximum performance" for power management in nvidia control panel Results of the tests are in your PM (hwinfo screenshots, hwinfo log, link for 3DMark result and link for info from Speccy). PSU: Corsair CX Series CX550M 550W Maybe tommorow I will update BIOS to for me unstable version F22d and run tests again. But I doubt it will be even able to complete the 3DMark benchmark.
    Today a run bechmark with BIOS version F6, which si more stable for me and drivers 382.33. Test run without any problems.

I changed Max Link Speed to Gen2 in BIOS
    In BIOS, there is also option "3DMark01 Enhancement", which I left on Disabled (default value)
    I set "prefer maximum performance" for power management in nvidia control panel

Results of the tests are in your PM (hwinfo screenshots, hwinfo log, link for 3DMark result and link for info from Speccy).

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX550M 550W

Maybe tommorow I will update BIOS to for me unstable version F22d and run tests again. But I doubt it will be even able to complete the 3DMark benchmark.

Posted 11/20/2017 07:05 PM   
    . [quote]OS: Win 10 Pro 64-bit CPU: i5-6600K @ 3.50GHz RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury KHX2666C15D4/8G @ [color="orange"]2666MHz (15-17-17-35)[/color] Mobo: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 (BIOS F6) Monitor: LG IPS235 (1920x1080@60Hz) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB SSD: 120GB KINGSTON SH103S3120G HDD1: 500GB Seagate ST3500320AS HDD2: 1TB Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 Optical: None Audio: Realtek HD PSU: Corsair CX550M[/quote] If youre doing good with the F6 do not update - The most important update was the F5 - Skylake bug fix. ================== On the AIDA64 - make sure it is not polling the GPU power. HWinfo64 shows the voltages all in good position. Temps are all good. ================== 3DMark Score looks good for the card. Getting higher looks like people have been OCing the CPU. Yeah, do not mess with the 3DMark01 setting, it will screw with the data and its only for that program. Looks like your Motherboard is holding you back. The Intel [url=https://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz]i5-6600K[/url] is a base: 3.5GHz and a Turbo: 3.9GHz but youre only hitting 3.8GHz Your CPU is all over the place from 800 - 3800 randomly on various cores. If youre not noticing lag | stuttering as it shifts up and down and has good responsiveness dont mess with it, but this brings me to the memory. The motherboard DEFAULT RAM speed is 2133MHz. In order to use the 2666MHz (15-17-17-35) you have to OC the CPU. The BIOS is set to use the XMP-Profile which means it assigns those Settings. Thus everytime your CPU drops below 3510MHz it is using 2133MHz at the wrong timings. My suggestion is to actually either: Disable the EIST (Speedstepping) Set the CPU core Ratio at x36 or: Set the RAM speed: 2133MHz Timings: 12-14-14-28 But then again, if the DRIVERS have fixed your actual problem and youre not having any other issues, then I prolley wouldn't change a thing. =================== I would Disable the Windows Media Player Network Service =================== How is the System Running? .

CPU: i5-6600K @ 3.50GHz
    RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury KHX2666C15D4/8G @ 2666MHz (15-17-17-35)
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 (BIOS F6)
    Monitor: LG IPS235 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB
    SSD: 120GB KINGSTON SH103S3120G
    HDD1: 500GB Seagate ST3500320AS
    HDD2: 1TB Hitachi HUA722010CLA330
    Optical: None
    Audio: Realtek HD
    PSU: Corsair CX550M

If youre doing good with the F6 do not update - The most important update was the F5 - Skylake bug fix.

==================

On the AIDA64 - make sure it is not polling the GPU power.

HWinfo64 shows the voltages all in good position.
    Temps are all good.

==================

3DMark Score looks good for the card. Getting higher looks like people have been OCing the CPU.

Yeah, do not mess with the 3DMark01 setting, it will screw with the data and its only for that program.

Looks like your Motherboard is holding you back. The Intel i5-6600K is a base: 3.5GHz and a Turbo: 3.9GHz but youre only hitting 3.8GHz

Your CPU is all over the place from 800 - 3800 randomly on various cores.

If youre not noticing lag | stuttering as it shifts up and down and has good responsiveness dont mess with it, but this brings me to the memory.

The motherboard DEFAULT RAM speed is 2133MHz. In order to use the 2666MHz (15-17-17-35) you have to OC the CPU.

The BIOS is set to use the XMP-Profile which means it assigns those Settings. Thus everytime your CPU drops below 3510MHz it is using 2133MHz at the wrong timings.

My suggestion is to actually either:
    Disable the EIST (Speedstepping)
    Set the CPU core Ratio at x36

or:
    Set the RAM speed: 2133MHz
    Timings: 12-14-14-28

But then again, if the DRIVERS have fixed your actual problem and youre not having any other issues, then I prolley wouldn't change a thing.

===================

I would Disable the Windows Media Player Network Service

===================

How is the System Running?

Posted 11/21/2017 01:59 AM   
    My PC works great, no lags or freezes so far. I will keep current settings (drivers 382.33, PCIe Gen2, prefer max performance in nvidia control panel, BIOS F6) to see if it will remain stable in normal usage. But I never had problems with bad performance, Iam happy how good my PC works. But everything works great for a few days and then suddenly out of nowhere, freezes in the middle of the game. In the past it atleast put nvlddmkm error id 14 in the event log, but after Fall creators update for Windows 10, it put nothing in event log, like nothing happened. And for the CPU and RAM. Everything in BIOS regarding overclocking is now on default values. Multiplier for CPU is 8-39x (x 100 MHz BUS speed). As I can see CPU speed on keyboard display, it sometimes actually goes to 3,9 GHz. But since CPU usage still had nice reserve, it probably just doesn't need to clock it to maximum speed. I know that clock speed changes quite often, like every few seconds (3,6-3,8 GHz in load), but it doesn't cause any problems or have any impact on performance. For the RAM, I have two options for XMP in BIOS: Disabled (defualt value) and Profile1. I tried both, and in both cases RAM runs on 2666 MHz and 15-17-17-35 timings. As I look in CPU-Z, clock and timings always remains same, no matter what CPU speed is (even if CPU is in idle on 800 MHz). I think it's because RAM clock speed is determined from BUS speed, which is always 100 MHz. Even in BIOS it shows Memory multiplier 26,67 -> 2667 MHz on Auto value. Like I said, I will probably leave everything as it is now and just use my computer normally to see if it's stable.
    My PC works great, no lags or freezes so far. I will keep current settings (drivers 382.33, PCIe Gen2, prefer max performance in nvidia control panel, BIOS F6) to see if it will remain stable in normal usage. But I never had problems with bad performance, Iam happy how good my PC works. But everything works great for a few days and then suddenly out of nowhere, freezes in the middle of the game. In the past it atleast put nvlddmkm error id 14 in the event log, but after Fall creators update for Windows 10, it put nothing in event log, like nothing happened.

And for the CPU and RAM. Everything in BIOS regarding overclocking is now on default values.

Multiplier for CPU is 8-39x (x 100 MHz BUS speed). As I can see CPU speed on keyboard display, it sometimes actually goes to 3,9 GHz. But since CPU usage still had nice reserve, it probably just doesn't need to clock it to maximum speed. I know that clock speed changes quite often, like every few seconds (3,6-3,8 GHz in load), but it doesn't cause any problems or have any impact on performance.

For the RAM, I have two options for XMP in BIOS: Disabled (defualt value) and Profile1. I tried both, and in both cases RAM runs on 2666 MHz and 15-17-17-35 timings. As I look in CPU-Z, clock and timings always remains same, no matter what CPU speed is (even if CPU is in idle on 800 MHz). I think it's because RAM clock speed is determined from BUS speed, which is always 100 MHz. Even in BIOS it shows Memory multiplier 26,67 -> 2667 MHz on Auto value.

Like I said, I will probably leave everything as it is now and just use my computer normally to see if it's stable.

Posted 11/21/2017 08:30 PM   
    . Sounds good. Glad we got you going good. Drop me an update in a week if youre still doing good. .

Sounds good.

Glad we got you going good. Drop me an update in a week if youre still doing good.

Posted 11/22/2017 02:13 AM   
      1 / 2    
    Scroll To Top