GTX 970 SLI / upgrade
Hi, mother board - Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 10 Gb/s M.2 processor - i7-4790K @ 4GHz power - Corsair RM 750 RAM - Corsair 16 GB (2x8 GB @ 2133 MHz) video card - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov monitor - Philips 272G5 G-SYNC 144Hz Q1. I build my PC around 3 years ago (purely for gaming) and it is still going strong. When I put it together I planned to add in future another 16GB RAM and most importantly second GTX 970 G1 in SLI. I want to do this now however I realized that I can only buy this card second hand. I would prefer to buy brand new card that is compatible with the one I already have. Can you advise me please which card should I be looking at? Q2. If I were to upgrade to two brand new cards which should I go for? Bear in mind my current spec as I do not want to upgrade power supply or spend a fortune. Q3. Should I consider adding SSD and if yes why/which? Thank you for helping out an amateur.
Hi,

mother board - Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7 10 Gb/s M.2
processor - i7-4790K @ 4GHz
power - Corsair RM 750
RAM - Corsair 16 GB (2x8 GB @ 2133 MHz)
video card - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov
monitor - Philips 272G5 G-SYNC 144Hz

Q1. I build my PC around 3 years ago (purely for gaming) and it is still going strong. When I put it together I planned to add in future another 16GB RAM and most importantly second GTX 970 G1 in SLI. I want to do this now however I realized that I can only buy this card second hand. I would prefer to buy brand new card that is compatible with the one I already have. Can you advise me please which card should I be looking at?

Q2. If I were to upgrade to two brand new cards which should I go for? Bear in mind my current spec as I do not want to upgrade power supply or spend a fortune.

Q3. Should I consider adding SSD and if yes why/which?

Thank you for helping out an amateur.

Posted 11/12/2017 10:20 AM   
First off, mixing and matching graphics cards for SLI is generally not possible, with the odd exception for older hardware. All graphics cards must have the same GPU, same amount of VRAM and an identical Bus Width. It's hard to recomend a SLI combo without knowing a budget.. "not spend a fortune" is relative. Why do you not want a second hand one? It is relatively safe if you are obtaining from a source which allows you to contest/return the item such as eBay/PayPal. Anyhow, if you want new, let us know your budget and im sure the recomendations will fly in. Note, your PSU is more that capable of running some decent GPU's in SLI so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you are gonna splash out on some of the more top end cards. SSD - Well, put it this way, why would you NOT consider it? I'd say the performance gain from an SSD alone outweighs the negatives. I've used SSD in my laptops and desktops for a few years now and would never ever look back.
First off, mixing and matching graphics cards for SLI is generally not possible, with the odd exception for older hardware. All graphics cards must have the same GPU, same amount of VRAM and an identical Bus Width.

It's hard to recomend a SLI combo without knowing a budget.. "not spend a fortune" is relative. Why do you not want a second hand one? It is relatively safe if you are obtaining from a source which allows you to contest/return the item such as eBay/PayPal. Anyhow, if you want new, let us know your budget and im sure the recomendations will fly in. Note, your PSU is more that capable of running some decent GPU's in SLI so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you are gonna splash out on some of the more top end cards.

SSD - Well, put it this way, why would you NOT consider it? I'd say the performance gain from an SSD alone outweighs the negatives. I've used SSD in my laptops and desktops for a few years now and would never ever look back.

Posted 12/01/2017 03:11 PM   
Scroll To Top